Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Biggest Wastes of Talent, Sports or Otherwise

Spaceman Spiff

I think we had a thread on this awhile back, but I couldn't find it.  

Had a discussion with a buddy of mine a few days ago about the biggest wastes of talent when it came to sports.  First name that came up was Len Bias, it's kinda hard to top that one.  We might think of him because we're from the area, but he was the first that came to mind and he's hard to beat.  I'm not sure if anyone in California who hadn't spent time in the DMV would know about him.

Then we limited it to people that are still alive who wasted their talents away, anyone who died from an OD or committed suicide is too easy.   I argued for Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden, they come in a package together, IMO.  John Daly was an interesting name that came up.  Opened up the conversation to musicians or artists but the rules were still there because Jimi Hendrix is one of the most obvious choices and he or Kurt Cobain would be pretty hard to beat.  For me, that one is Axl Rose.  

So those are the rules:  Still living, biggest wastes of talent.  Not talking about draft busts or guys that got hurt and were no longer effective so no mention of RG3 and Andrew Luck.  Looking for people more like Shawn Kemp who couldn't lay off the booger sugar and cheeseburgers.  Or in Axl's case, just couldn't keep it together and pretty much vanished for most of the 90s, 2000s and 2010s until releasing Chinese Democracy.  Bleh. 

15 minutes ago, clietas said:

Yeah uh its definitely not Axl Rose IMO. He's not some one hit wonder. 

Who said anything about a one hit wonder?  Axl's prime lasted from 1987 to 1992 or 1993.  As good as he was, there's no reason he couldn't have lasted as long as someone like Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler.  He didn't have a drug habit, he didn't have drinking issues...he was just simply a jerk and he drove his bandmates away, kept the GNR trademark and didn't release anything until 2008 (which wasn't even GNR, it was Axl and a bunch of randoms) and hasn't released anything since.  He's now 56 years old and hasn't been relevant for about 25 years which is a crying shame for someone so talented.  

That is a waste of talent, no doubt about it.  

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Derrick Coleman for basketball. If we include injury derailment then Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, and Derrick Rose hollowed out the star power of the Durant generation of players.

Nick Young is a huge waste of talent too.

Derrick Coleman was fat and lazy with an attitude problem, right?

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Who said anything about a one hit wonder?  Axl's prime lasted from 1987 to 1992 or 1993.  As good as he was, there's no reason he couldn't have lasted as long as someone like Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler.  He didn't have a drug habit, he didn't have drinking issues...he was just simply a jerk and he drove his bandmates away, kept the GNR trademark and didn't release anything until 2008 (which wasn't even GNR, it was Axl and a bunch of randoms) and hasn't released anything since.  He's now 56 years old and hasn't been relevant for about 25 years which is a crying shame for someone so talented.  

He wrote and recorded three of the greatest albums in music history IMO. So I'll just disrespectfully disagree with you on that one. 

Just now, China said:

Let's go with James Dean, Jimmy Hendrix and Tupac Shakur.

How, because he died?  Great lyrcist, poet, and pretty decent actor as well.  You may be thinking overrated, but his discography has topics that rappers today want nothing to do with anymore in regards to inner city struggles. When's last time any rapper made a song like Brenda got a Baby?

Just now, clietas said:

He wrote and recorded three of the greatest albums in music history IMO. So I'll just disrespectfully disagree with you on that one. 

I don't disagree that he wrote and recorded 3 essential albums (4, if you count Lies) but if you can't agree that he pissed away his talent for 25 years by not writing, recording or performing then I dunno what to tell you.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

How, because he died?  Great lyrcist, poet, and pretty decent actor as well.  You may be thinking overrated, but his discography has topics that rappers today want nothing to do with anymore in regards to inner city struggles. When's last time any rapper made a song like Brenda got a Baby?

Yes, all of them a waste because they died too soon.  They had all already shown their talent, but could have done much more if they hadn't died too young.

1 minute ago, China said:

Yes, all of them a waste because they died too soon.  They had all already shown their talent, but could have done much more if they hadn't died too young.

Per the rules of the thread :) not talking about people that died, it's too easy.  

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't disagree that he wrote and recorded 3 essential albums (4, if you count Lies) but if you can't agree that he pissed away his talent for 25 years by not writing, recording or performing then I dunno what to tell you.

I actually still really like Chinese Democracy so I'm sure there's plenty of things you could tell me. Such as I have no clue....

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Heard he killed it on the AC/DC tour he fronted though. Word was, he wasn't Axl, he was was singer. When he wasn't singing, he'd retreat back from the front of the stage & let it be about the music instead of his ego.

1 minute ago, clietas said:

I actually still really like Chinese Democracy so I'm sure there's plenty of things you could tell me. Such as I have no clue....

Ok, even if you include Chinese Democracy...17 years from 1991 until 2008, he didn't produce anything.  And now 10 years later, all we have is a reunion tour.

Although word is that they're going to put out a new album.

1 minute ago, TK said:

Heard he killed it on the AC/DC tour he fronted though. Word was, he wasn't Axl, he was was singer. When he wasn't singing, he'd retreat back from the front of the stage & let it be about the music instead of his ego.

I saw him with AC/DC and GnR in the past two years. His still amazing....

1 minute ago, TK said:

I forgot all about that, I heard he was great on that, too.  

https://www.nme.com/news/music/acdc-to-reportedly-continue-touring-and-release-new-music-with-axl-rose-2236871

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ok, even if you include Chinese Democracy...17 years from 1991 until 2008, he didn't produce anything.  And now 10 years later, all we have is a reunion tour.

Although word is that they're going to put out a new album.

That's still what at least 4 maybe 4 and a half albums? Plus a number of great tours. Some of which lasted years. That's not really a waste IMO. Did you ever expect them to tour like The Dead or Phish?

Syd Barrett now that's a waste IMO. Not sure if that meets the rule requirement tho.

15 minutes ago, China said:

I'd say "waste" is a little harsh, but get where you coming from.  When I think waste of talent I think like they had it and refused to use it, like Jamarcus Russell or something.  None of them wasted their talent, jus went too young.

Edit: like out of empathy for mental health, I'd never say so nothing like that about Kurt Corbain.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I'd say "waste" is a little harsh, but get where you coming from.  When I think waste of talent I think like they had it and refused to use it, like Jamarcus Russell or something.  None of them wasted their talent, jus went too young.

Yes, I clearly didn't understand the rules of the thread.  I've had to go back and re-read the initial post and am contemplating a functional answer.

Archived