Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friday Night Lights - Game Thread

TK

I'm not sure if playing Alex and the starters in week 4 would have any value, if the Ravens are playing backups then I think we get better results in practice going against our starting defense.

The opportunity to use preseason games to get better as a team has come and gone.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Finlay who said he talked to Swearinger who said tonight was a test and the defense failed that test.  Maybe there is an upside to all of this -- I like the defense playing with a chip on their shoulder -- so maybe tonight's game is an impetus for that.  

I saw that too, and I hope this is a wake-up call and does give them a chip on their shoulders.

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So its a certain number of games?  Okay, cool, I really want to say anything definitive on that, I honestly did not know.  Thank you.

He plays well against the Ravens, someone will take him off our PS.

It's been changed.

I believe it used to be based on actual games played.

Now they can be on a PS for up to 3 seasons, as long as they were on the PS at least 6 games for each season accrued.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, though hopefully they are better than 500.  Though 500 is certainly possible.

The Skins have been a ".500" team the last 3 years and prior to that, they sucked with .333 and .250 years.  I think they could finish a game or 2 below or above .500 this season, I don't hope for more than that and a good start might be the difference so I'd play the starters for a quarter or 2 next week, I don't expect that to happen.

18 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I feel like our team has incredibly light practices because Gruden doesn't want our players to get hurt. Just seems evident when you watch the games, we shouldn't be getting bullied, we don't have a small team at all. 

that has been said to be the case in the past, but this year all evidence was we ramped it up

12 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

The Skins have been a ".500" team the last 3 years and prior to that, they sucked with .333 and .250 years.  I think they could finish a game or 2 below or above .500 this season, I don't hope for more than that and a good start might be the difference so I'd play the starters for a quarter or 2 next week, I don't expect that to happen.

the other team won't be playing their starters.  Us doing t risks overconfidence and injury

6 minutes ago, carex said:

that has been said to be the case in the past, but this year all evidence was we ramped it up

Wonder what they ramped up, these guys are paid millions to play this game. Like anything in life, you practice at a high level, you're more likely to play at a high level. 

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Wonder what they ramped up, these guys are paid millions to play this game. Like anything in life, you practice at a high level, you're more likely to play at a high level. 

Redskins practice at a high level they're more likely not to play cause they're on IR

1 minute ago, carex said:

Redskins practice at a high level they're more likely not to play cause they're on IR

Does that really matter at this point? It's already looking like half the roster will be there by week 8 this year. 

Edit: and that's still no reason to have creampuff practices. 

2 minutes ago, carex said:

the other team won't be playing their starters.  Us doing t risks overconfidence and injury

yeah youre right. Our grandpas don't need or care about the confidence boosters.....and they can injure a joint with the wrong insoles  

I’m not gonna get all in a huf over preseason. Alex looked “not great” for the whole first quarter, but it looked a little like gameflow caused. The D however gettin sliced up like a turkey dinner, was eerily reminiscent of last year vs the Vikings, like we weren’t even on the field. Both sides of the ball have lots to work on before Sept 9. Week one has Code Red game written all over it. Let’s go fellas, get it together.

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Finlay who said he talked to Swearinger who said tonight was a test and the defense failed that test.  Maybe there is an upside to all of this -- I like the defense playing with a chip on their shoulder -- so maybe tonight's game is an impetus for that.  

I get what your saying about playing with a chip.

But at the same time, DJ always has something to say.  I’ll believe they are playing with a chip when it shows they are.  Tonight aligned with what I feared would be the weakness, the secondary.   My hope was the pass rush would improve enough to mask that somewhat.  It’s only one game that doesn’t count but the secondary and inability to tackle did nothing to quell my fears.

33 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm not sure if playing Alex and the starters in week 4 would have any value, if the Ravens are playing backups then I think we get better results in practice going against our starting defense.

The opportunity to use preseason games to get better as a team has come and gone.

I would like smith to play a series or two with most of our ones to get a little more work.  First year QB, offense hasn't done much, and team has just seemed flat.  I think going into week one with a little more momentum and positivity outweighs the risk stemming from the slim chance of an injury.  

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I would like smith to play a series or two with most of our ones to get a little more work.  First year QB, offense hasn't done much, and team has just seemed flat.  I think going into week one with a little more momentum and positivity outweighs the risk stemming from the slim chance of an injury.  

Do you really think a couple drives against backups is going to be the difference between a win week 1 or not.

If they cant be ready by week 1 with the time they've had to get ready.

Jay needs to get his bags packed. I mean there isn't any more excuses. Snyder has given this group time to show something and they haven't.

This team better wakeup this year. This **** has been old for over 20 years now. 

A couple of drives in preseason isn't going to make or break us unless someone gets hurt. So i say no way bench them next week. 

If he wanted them to get more work he shouldve played them in the 3rd quarter tonight like some other teams did.

25 minutes ago, carex said:

If our ones have a scoring drive against their twos, we pull them right away and go into the season with a little more confidence.  I wouldnt be concerned about potential overconfidence.  Offense was flat tonight and hasn't looked all that special for one drive to make it seem we are unstoppable.  Injury risk is there, but playing scared seemed to define the Kirk cousins era.  As long as they aren't careless with their play calling and leaving players exposed, the minimal chance of injury is worth the potential for some momentum going into the opener.

10 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

After watching the defense tonight I don't see anything different. Secondary is garbage. Line isn't good enough to save the secondary. On top of that offense isn't good enough to carry the defense. 

7-9 or 8-8 is probably what were are dealing with.

After seeing one half of a preseason game.  You've decided all that about the defense?

14 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

After seeing one half of a preseason game.  You've decided all that about the defense?

Nope after seeing over 20 years of the same stuff. I have decided nothing has changed. I mean that wasn't Rogers out there tonight. Yet he looked like him. Not to mention this team still doesn't know how to tackle. 

Lets be clear the jets moved the ball pretty good against us with a rookie QB last week as well. Yeah we had one nice 3-out with Payne getting a sack. After that though Darnold looked pretty good. 

Bradford has destroyed this team in the past. Week 1 isn't going to be fun.

Maybe interesting correlation between the Grudens' Raiders and Redskins teams. Both have had joint practices with other teams (Raiders had the Lions), so they did get some more competitive reps there.. I'm almost positive that the NFLN guys said Carr had a total of 7 preseason snaps. That doesn't seem like it could be right. Maybe they meant tonight. I swear they said it though.

3 hours ago, Gibbit said:

new qb.. primetiming a running back that's been a Redskin for 3 days without core offensive guys. Honestly our defense was more disappointing to me, but maybe they were just trying to keep themselves intact since we have a handle of whos starting there 

Preseason is tricky to read

Gibbit you make some valid points.  The QB  play should have been crisp and sharp in my opinion. I am sorry, but can the Skins put together a 10 play drive and finish with a TD in the pre season?  I understand these practice games mean nothing.  But the way a team practices is how they play a real game.  Hail

Hard to believe that Swearingers words don't stop pays and that Nicholson is an actual FS. 

I'm sure I sound like a broken record and everyone is tired of me saying it year after year, but sign a got dang FS for once. 2 legit FS in the last 2 weeks coming out and nothing? There's no FS tree. It's hard as **** to find one. 

6 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Yeah, Cousins played that much and with a patchwork OL in front him.  I think Alex should play a quarter or 2 next week to try to work out the kinks and avoid a slow start.  I don't expect it but I'll be pissed if he sits it and out and they stumble out of the blocks opening day.  I think the Skins will have essentially a .500 team again and they can't afford to start slow and drop a winnable game because the offense is out of sync. 

Seeing as AP just got cut from the Cardinals and we play them Week 1...doesn't that seem ironic he'd come back there and torch them!?  He ran good behind the OL.  Give him 2 weeks to game plan vs the team he practiced against for months.  I'm expecting a heavy dose of AD In AZ

Archived