Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friday Night Lights - Game Thread

TK

46 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Come on Hardcore. Cousins and the rest of the team consistently performed well in the preseason. and it always carried over the regular season, where they never had stretches of bad games.

Actually, I don’t recall Cousins and the rest of the team lighting it up in preseason either.  

If in the event, we saw the exact opposite last night.  DLine crashing the pocket, making tackles, secondary all over everything, first team offense punching it in for a couple scores, there would be tremendous overreaction of a positive nature.

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Actually, I don’t recall Cousins and the rest of the team lighting it up in preseason either.  

If in the event, we saw the exact opposite last night.  DLine crashing the pocket, making tackles, secondary all over everything, first team offense punching it in for a couple scores, there would be tremendous overreaction of a positive nature.

Agreed.  It’s a win that no one was injured.  Was it a great showing?  Nope but have to reserve losing hope till after a real game.   

I recall all watching a spurrier led team light up the preseason and suck in the regular season.   The fact preseason means little in determining much holds true IMO.  

3 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is what he's done his entire career.  We are not getting the 2017 anomaly Alex Smith.

Nope, we probably are not. But the "normal" Alex Smith is a good QB. But he needs more live action to be ready for the regular season, and Gruden didn't give it to him.

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

You are basing your assertion on one quarter of play in the preseason? ?

Smith has shown himself to be a very good QB, and not just in the 2017 season. There might be some pains as he gets acclimated here, but I am not worried about him.

He's been a good QB, but he needs work. This is a new system for him, and a completely new team. He needs live snaps, and he really didn't get them.

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

We don't need it, I'll take 2011 Alex Smith and be fine.  He's always been competent with good coaches so we'll see what happens.

Well, if the D looks like it did last night, we'll need it. But if the D looks more like it did against the Jets, we'll be fine.

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yes it seemed the Broncos ran a regular season gameplan while the Redskins were just interested in getting Peterson looks and getting out healthy. The injury part is somewhat understandable, considering how snake-bitten they were last season.

The Broncos kept their starters in longer while the Redskins pulled theirs in the 2nd quarter. That was intentional by Gruden, as he wanted the back-ups and young players to get work against Denver's ones.

That doesn't excuse some poor play and tackling we saw last night, but it might smally explain some of the one-sidedness of the affair.

I seriously doubt anyone runs anything other than vanilla concepts. Gruden pulled the starters EARLY again, even though they have gotten almost no work together this preseason. And we wonder why the team comes out sluggish in the regualr season. This year we have a QB that is new, and it's only going to make that worse.

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Nope, it's the other 12 seasons he's played where he's done the same things repeatedly.  Happy feet, running out of a clean pocket, staring down the TE, sensing ghosts that aren't there, etc.  

Well we don't have the 2011 49ers defense so I don't think we would be fine.  

True. Smith looked bad last night. And people don't like to hear that he's always had a good D and a good RB to back him up. Well, maybe we got the RB a couple of days ago. And I think the D will be better than last night. Alex needed snaps though, and he didn't get them this preseason, and I think it's going to hurt us. I can see going 0-3 to start, with Alex still trying to get comfortable with guys he's never played with before, and only got limited snaps with. If this happens, I'm looking hard a Gruden.

It's one of those things where you want to see positives, but remember its preseason, so one shouldn't jump to any real conclusions. Still, it's kind of depressing to see everyone look bad. Well everyone except Adrian Peterson. Kind of nice that he was the one lone bright spot (and no, I don't count some garbage time TDs from Kevin Hogan as bright). But I can't sit here and say Peterson will do anything this season either. so it goes both ways. But seeing Peterson look good is way better than him looking like crap. As a fan, the only thing I can say is that I hope the team looks way different come Week 1.

I know I know, this is preseason but I saw a whole lot of nothing. Well actually i saw a whole lot of what has made this a mediocre team over the years. Lots of 3 and outs, Only one or two players doing there job, 3rd and 3 pass but player only runs route for 2, D ran all over and receivers wide open, penalties, fg vs td terrible 3rd down conversions etc.. I am talking about the starters and second string not camp foder  btw 

To be honest, struggling offensively didnt bother me too much, its mostly how poor the defense played.  Its not a new system for them, supposedly we have much better players than a couple years ago, and even last year, and Denver is not an offensive juggernaut.  The key to this season will be the defense, last night was not a good sign.  Hopefully its because Denver will be in the super bowl.

3 hours ago, dyst said:

Very odd isn’t it. 

No. Its the truth. We didnt pull a single lineman to the edge the entire game. Not one single option route was run the entire game. The defense played 3-4 or nickle the entire game and only blitzed once late in the 3rd quarter. WE RAN NOTHING like what we run during the regular season.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

No. Its the truth. We didnt pull a single lineman the entire game. Not one single option route was run the entire game. The defense played 3-4 or nickle the entire game and only blitzed once late in the 3rd quarter. WE RAN NOTHING like what we run during the regular season.

The same regular season plays that netted us a 7-9 record last year?

4 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Nope, it's the other 12 seasons he's played where he's done the same things repeatedly.  Happy feet, running out of a clean pocket, staring down the TE, sensing ghosts that aren't there, etc.  

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about, so debating anything with would be a pointless endeavor.

I don't know how the season will go, but I am confident that Smith will have a good year.

We're gonna win A Superbowl for all the old assholes on our team we count on now.  :ols:

Jk our defense should have us around 6/7 wins respectfully.

9 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about, so debating anything with would be a pointless endeavor.

I don't know how the season will go, but I am confident that Smith will have a good year.

That's seriously what he does. Good thing we have good TEs. 

19 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

There is plenty of tape and analysis out there that aligns with exactly what he just said about Alex.  If you scroll down you’d see where he says that’s not every game.  To say he doesn’t know what he’s talking about would be saying a whole heck of a lot of people don’t know what they are talking about.  He’s certainly not on an island in his assessment that bad Alex is exactly what we saw last night.

4 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Ooooohh! You found a preseason anomaly to poke me with.   

Pre season means literally zilch. I could spend an entire day giving you examples.

I remember Falcons fans year 2 under Shanny were getting antsy about Matt Ryan in the pre season and the offense. They went on to have the best offense in the NFL and to the SB.

If we had been the greatest show on turf last night I would be echoing the same sentiment. It just doesn't matter...

Wait for the games to start. I can't believe these reactions actually occur.

9 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Pre season means literally zilch. I could spend an entire day giving you examples.

I remember Falcons fans year 2 under Shanny were getting antsy about Matt Ryan in the pre season and the offense. They went on to have the best offense in the NFL and to the SB.

If we had been the greatest show on turf last night I would be echoing the same sentiment. It just doesn't matter...

I agree with all this.. except for the I can't believe it part. 

First team offense - Skins seemed to use a 2 back set quite frequently when Smith was in with Adrian Peterson.  I couldn't see whether the other player was the FB.  Were the Skins just trying out an alternative personnel grouping on all of those running plays or do you think that set was to better suit AP?  My only concern with the starting OL is that it doesn't seem to be opening much space for the RB inside - same old story.  

Defense - D.Payne seems to be involved in most plays - I think he's going to be a great pickup for the Skins.  I was a bit surprised though to not hear much from Jonathan Allen.  Did I miss it? 

15 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Comes from experience round here.  Every year I hear pre-season means nothing, look at my million examples to prove it.  I understand that pre season means nothing. Except that it means a lot.  The issues seen the last couple weeks will be there when the bullets fly for real.  Trust me. But i understand that hope dies last. 

39 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is plenty of tape and analysis out there that aligns with exactly what he just said about Alex.  If you scroll down you’d see where he says that’s not every game.  To say he doesn’t know what he’s talking about would be saying a whole heck of a lot of people don’t know what they are talking about.  He’s certainly not on an island in his assessment that bad Alex is exactly what we saw last night.

What he is basically saying is Smith is a lousy QB with a few good games once in a while.

Thats bull****.

I know you are weirdly stuck on Cousins for some reason, but disparaging Smith isn't going to bring him back.

22 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

What he is basically saying is Smith is a lousy QB with a few good games once in a while.

Thats bull****.

I know you are weirdly stuck on Cousins for some reason, but disparaging Smith isn't going to bring him back.

Speaking of Kirk, did anyone see his interview on ESPN Thursday night?He basically said that he was surprised when Washington moved on from him. He said, that he felt like Washington was definitely in play and that he  figured he would end up back there. He said, that he was comfortable in Washington but that they did not want to wait and see how things played out. He asked the question as to why would you want to move when you are comfortable somewhere? Cousins said,he understood the Redskins  position. I just found it interesting.

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Which were all things that we know we had problems with last year,and if we were to see vast improvement on them in a preseason game, of course there's going to be a certain level of excitement.

If you're saying we shouldn't invest too much in what we see in the preseason regardless, including the play of the quarterback, then I think we agree.

59 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Thats bull****.

What a flailing response.  Just throwing haymakers that don’t connect.

I guess the plethora of analysts and media guys with opinions that coincide with DHJR who watched Alex Smith forever are ‘stuck on Cousins’ too.

It’s kind of funny watching your B&G glasses fog up and start flailing with the Cousins stuff because facts scare you.  The seeds of doubt are sprouting I can see.

28 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Which were all things that we know we had problems with last year,and if we were to see vast improvement on them in a preseason game, of course there's going to be a certain level of excitement.

If you're saying we shouldn't invest too much in what we see in the preseason, including the play of the quarterback, then I think we agree.

I don’t put a whole lot of stock in the preseason.  But still find it unsettling to see just how bad last nights performance was.  It did provide a glimpse of what’s to come, you just have to hope there’s less of that and more of the good.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:28 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It did provide a glimpse of what’s to come, you just have to hope there’s less of that and more of the good.

And would you have said the same thing if Smith for instance had gone 12 of 14 with 2 td's and 40 yds rushing ?

" Just a sign of things to come from ol' Alex ".

1 minute ago, Spearfeather said:

And would you have said the same thing if Smith for instance had gone 12 of 14 with 2 fd's and 40 yds rushing ?

I would have been really happy to see that.  I think anyone here that would say otherwise is lying.  I'm certain the preseason positive crew would have been eating that performance for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  When it's bad though, it doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, Spearfeather said:

But you're not labeling that as " overreaction " ?

An overreaction is overflowing with optimism or negativity given the results one preseason performance.

Sure, there are some folks here going off the deep end negatively.  But if it was the exact opposite outcome, many that take issue with those being negative now would be positively glowing.   It just seems the preseason only matters to those where the outcome aligns with their point of view.

Archived