Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friday Night Lights - Game Thread

TK

39 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Whats worrisome is on JP's podcast all 3 of those guys were talking about WR's being wide open while Alex was starring down VD all day.

This is what he's done his entire career.  We are not getting the 2017 anomaly Alex Smith.

8 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is what he's done his entire career.  We are not getting the 2017 anomaly Alex Smith.

You are basing your assertion on one quarter of play in the preseason? ?

Smith has shown himself to be a very good QB, and not just in the 2017 season. There might be some pains as he gets acclimated here, but I am not worried about him.

16 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

We don't need it, I'll take 2011 Alex Smith and be fine.  He's always been competent with good coaches so we'll see what happens.

Just a thought here...I heard Trevor M. say last night he thought Denver had an above the norm "game plan" installed.  After last week's game the Denver fans and media were going nutz about Keenum's poor performance - kind of like everyone here is doing.  Seems like they needed a big game to settle people down.

I think we'll be fine...

46 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

For everyone drawing conclusions from a preseason game about Smith, our pass D, or any number of things - just remember the 2006 Raiders went 4-1 in the preseason, only to go 2-14 for the year. And they looked good in the 3rd game (4th for them) - “the dress rehearsal” too. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2006082504/2006/PRE3/lions@raiders?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr

Yes, I’m annoyed at Alex’s play as you are, and I’m slightly worried about the secondary. But this is preseason for a reason. The issues we saw are fixable. 

That makes perfect sense and is quite reasonable. However we have a track record of not fixing the fixable.  What we see in preseason is what we get in real life.  

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Just a thought here...I heard Trevor M. say last night he thought Denver had an above the norm "game plan" installed.  After last week's game the Denver fans and media were going nutz about Keenum's poor performance - kind of like everyone here is doing.  Seems like they needed a big game to settle people down.

I think we'll be fine...

Yes it seemed the Broncos ran a regular season gameplan while the Redskins were just interested in getting Peterson looks and getting out healthy. The injury part is somewhat understandable, considering how snake-bitten they were last season.

The Broncos kept their starters in longer while the Redskins pulled theirs in the 2nd quarter. That was intentional by Gruden, as he wanted the back-ups and young players to get work against Denver's ones.

That doesn't excuse some poor play and tackling we saw last night, but it might smally explain some of the one-sidedness of the affair.

28 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The most worrisome thing for me was the complete lack of pass rush from our much-improved D Line.

Keenum stayed really clean.

He did, but the Redskins didn't seem to run any stunts or blitzes. Just 3 or 4 men going at him (though I don't remember every play).

We know they can rush. We saw it last season. But they didn't do much last night.

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

You are basing your assertion on one quarter of play in the preseason? ?

Nope, it's the other 12 seasons he's played where he's done the same things repeatedly.  Happy feet, running out of a clean pocket, staring down the TE, sensing ghosts that aren't there, etc.  

54 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We don't need it, I'll take 2011 Alex Smith and be fine.  He's always been competent with good coaches so we'll see what happens.

Well we don't have the 2011 49ers defense so I don't think we would be fine.  

13 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Nope, it's the other 12 seasons he's played where he's done the same things repeatedly.  Happy feet, running out of a clean pocket, staring down the TE, sensing ghosts that aren't there, etc.  

I know and understand why folks hate it when you say these things.

But you are pretty much echoing what I’ve thought of Smith.  Me not being a pro football evaluator, of course hopes I’m wrong but yeah, that’s the stuff that concerns me.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But you are pretty much echoing what I’ve thought of Smith.  Me not being a pro football evaluator, of course hopes I’m wrong but yeah, that’s the stuff that concerns me.

The caveat is that he doesn't do it every game.  KC media dubbed him "good Alex" and "bad Alex".  Do we have a good enough team to get through the stretches of "bad Alex"?  Or do we have a good enough team that can actually win games with "good Alex"?  That remains to be seen.  

1 hour ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

That makes perfect sense and is quite reasonable. However we have a track record of not fixing the fixable.  What we see in preseason is what we get in real life.  

Yeah in 2014 when we went 3-1 we sure dido on to see a hell of a team that year!

Seasons over I'm packing up. It was fun while it lasted!

33 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

For whatever reason, our preseason opponents run complex game plans against our vanilla schemes, year after year, no matter who the coach is. ?

Funniest post I've seen in a while. :ols:

nobody plans for us, we're just not good. :ols:

4 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Yeah in 2014 when we went 3-1 we sure dido on to see a hell of a team that year!

Seasons over I'm packing up. It was fun while it lasted!

Come on Hardcore. Cousins and the rest of the team consistently performed well in the preseason. and it always carried over the regular season, where they never had stretches of bad games.

2 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Disagree - that’s not always the case. Last year’s dress rehearsal had a bad game from Cousins by his standards and he was solid last year. I bet if I found that gamethread, I’d see a lot of “sky is falling” posts there too. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017082752/2017/PRE3/bengals@redskins?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr

Or how about the 2016 dress rehearsal game, where we had Cousins throw 3 TDs against the Bills? He looked great there. What happened in the first two regular season games? We got destroyed by the Steelers and lost a close one to Dallas in large part to poor play by Cousins. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016082655/2016/PRE3/bills@redskins?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2016/REG/REDSKINS

The reason most everyone here is upset and pessimistic is because of our track record of failure - which is understandable. We haven’t exactly been world beaters. But drawing conclusions about Smith, the passing game, and other things, based on one bad outing is folly as well. NFL players are people too, and bad games happen. 

5 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

I bet if I found that gamethread, I’d see a lot of “sky is falling” posts there too. 

Which is the case all over, really. No matter where you'd look, there's always a contingent of fans that are dramatic and overly reactionary. All the more so, if they were never much buckled in anyway. It's no surprise, and it will never change for the better, as people are getting more sensitive and less composed every day. 

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Well we don't have the 2011 49ers defense so I don't think we would be fine.  

We don't know what we have, I'm gonna wait until he actually poo poo's in a real game before I start killing the guy.

I think the defense is talented and I'm not as worried about them than as I am the offense, Zach and loannidis didn't play last night and they both make a difference.

Archived