Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friday Night Lights - Game Thread

TK

10 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Overall it sounded like our run oline manhandled there d-line.. that's gotta count for something..

Not really, imo, AP is just a better running back that doesn't keep doing dumb ****.  The minute we put Kelly back in there to spell him, our run blocking "sucked again".  And he knew it, saw look on his face when they took him back out.  Great players take what they give you and make something out of nothing, Kelly can't do that.  Maybe once upon a time he looked like he might be able to, but he can't fight his way out a paper bag right now.

If youre worried about smith or other vets...they don't have to playin preseason to be ready imo. Smith just needs to learn the offense (practice) other guys just need to be hit once or twice

if it takes off flawlessly it will be amazing. I cross my fingers, but I don't blame jay if we don't start out division kings

18 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Last year Bibbs had a td some good runs and some good catches, and he didn't get hurt and played on a limited training time. I only thought he may be too old at 25 but that's not 30

I agree, Bibbs looked good in limited stints last season.  I am not a Kelley guy.  I've said multiple times this preseason that I like Bibbs in particular in an RPO (which Alex is famous for) offense -- RBs take their share of screens in that offense and Bibbs has good wiggle and acceleration in open space.

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

Gruden just said he took the starters out early because he wanted to see the back-ups and guys still trying to make the team play against the Broncos' ones.

I'm fine with this, that's the real point of the preseason anyway.  I just wished he opened up a little more with the starters, they might as well not of played at all tonight, you can tell he didn't want them out there.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree, Bibbs looked good in limited stints last season.  I am not a Kelley guy.  I've said multiple times this preseason that I like Bibbs in particular in an RPO (which Alex is famous for) offense -- RBs take their share of screens in that offense and Bibbs has good wiggle and acceleration in open space.

Yeah, plus unlike Marshall Bibbs made some big plays. J don't know why but some people are calling for Marshall over Bibbs. And i wonder if the age had anything to do with it. But i hope we go into the year with at least AP, CT and Bibbs. 

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I think him playing regular season games for the Browns kills that, but don't quote me on that.

four players on the PS can have two accrued NFL seasons. Remember Rob Jackson?  His rookie year he played in three games for us, the next we cut him and signed him to the PS

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm fine with this, that's the real point of the preseason anyway.  I just wished he opened up a little more with the starters, they might as well not of played at all tonight, you can tell he didn't want them out there.

I think it depends on your philosophy. I'm more into the backups playing in the preseason because I want to make roster decisions made on who plays well, not just practice. This team has been having good depth under Gruden. That doesn't show up so much early in the season but it helps when your starters go down 

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He didn't play enough regular season, so he is still eligible for PS

So its a certain number of games?  Okay, cool, I really want to say anything definitive on that, I honestly did not know.  Thank you.

He plays well against the Ravens, someone will take him off our PS.

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, plus unlike Marshall Bibbs made some big plays. J don't know why but some people are calling for Marshall over Bibbs. And i wonder if the age had anything to do with it. But i hope we go into the year with at least AP, CT and Bibbs. 

Marshall might be because his size.  Yeah I'd be good with your lineup.  I'd take Perine over Kelley as the 4th but I suspect that's not going to happen.  Cooley referred to it in the pregame -- forgot how he said it but he hinted he thought Kelley should be the odd man out but doesn't think Jay would let him go.  Cooley also posted a tweet showing a run that he thought Kelley could have taken to the house but he didn't because he doesn't hit the hole fast.

Just now, SkinsGuy said:

Gruden also said the heavy emphasis on the running game was intentional, mainly I believe, for Peterson's sake.

Yeah I think that changed the philosophy of today because he wanted to give AP an extended try out. I think had we not signed him we would have seen Smith throw 10-15 passes today

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think it depends on your philosophy. I'm more into the backups playing in the preseason because I want to make roster decisions made on who plays well, not just practice. This team has been having good depth under Gruden. That doesn't show up so much early in the season but it helps when your starters go down 

Agreed, made thread about that, backups need as much playing time as possible so we can get them ready for when starters DO go down, not if.  More you put into them, the more future starters you get out of them.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Marshall might be because his size.  Yeah I'd be good with your lineup.  I'd take Perine over Kelley as the 4th but I suspect that's not going to happen.  Cooley refer to it in the pregame -- forgot how he said it but he hinted he thought Kelley should be the odd man out but doesn't think Jay would let him go.  Cooley also posted a tweet showing a run that he thought Kelley could have taken to the house but he didn't because he doesn't hit the hole fast.

I'm just not impressed with either of these guys vision.they run into their ols backs. Kelley was doing it today. I want to see who else is cut and try to sign one of them

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah I think that changed the philosophy of today because he wanted to give AP an extended try out. I think had we not signed him we would have seen Smith throw 10-15 passes today

Think he would've got more passes if he didn't kill so many drives to start the game, but agree focus was on seeing if AP still got it.

1 hour ago, Gibbit said:

yeah we didn't prepare for the broncos, cause its preseason

Not trying to criticize your statement. , I guess I am old school.

I always thought the 3rd preseason game was a dress rehearsal for the starters. If my memory is correct, and correct me if I am wrong.Tonight's performance is a

cluster !#&( . I try not to criticize Gruden, but Gruden,s history of preseason equates to  a regular season start of 0 and 2 or 1 and 2. I feel like I am watching Redskin game tapes from years past. Nothing changes. Hail

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

I agree.

Denver seemed to be running a conventional game plan, even with a couple of trick plays thrown in.

The Redskins seemed almost to be running a glorified scrimmage in the beginning. Just using different run plays, seeing what worked for Peterson. 

At least that is my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

6 minutes ago, BTBIRD 227 said:

Not trying to criticize your statement. , I guess I am old school.

I always thought the 3rd preseason game was a dress rehearsal for the starters. If my memory is correct, and correct me if I am wrong.Tonight's performance is a

cluster !#&( . I try not to criticize Gruden, but Gruden,s history of preseason equates to  a regular season start of 0 and 2 or 1 and 2. I feel like I am watching Redskin game tapes from years past. Nothing changes. Hail

new qb.. primetiming a running back that's been a Redskin for 3 days without core offensive guys. Honestly our defense was more disappointing to me, but maybe they were just trying to keep themselves intact since we have a handle of whos starting there 

Preseason is tricky to read

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kirk has thrown 28 passes today.  He also played in game 1 and game 2.   I don't love this to be the end of Alex's preseason, I'd play him a series in the 4th game.  Though I am guessing I have a better chance throwing the first series in the 4th game than Alex.   I hope they know what they are doing on this.

Yeah, Cousins played that much and with a patchwork OL in front him.  I think Alex should play a quarter or 2 next week to try to work out the kinks and avoid a slow start.  I don't expect it but I'll be pissed if he sits it and out and they stumble out of the blocks opening day.  I think the Skins will have essentially a .500 team again and they can't afford to start slow and drop a winnable game because the offense is out of sync. 

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm just not impressed with either of these guys vision.they run into their ols backs. Kelley was doing it today. I want to see who else is cut and try to sign one of them

Not in love with Perine's vision either but have some hope that his physicality has some value.  I'd take him over Kelley based on potential. 

2 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Yeah, Cousins played that much and with a patchwork OL in front him.  I think Alex should play a quarter or 2 next week to try to work out the kinks and avoid a slow start.  I don't expect it but I'll be pissed if he sits it and out and they stumble out of the blocks opening day.  I think the Skins will have essentially a .500 team again and they can't afford to start slow and drop a winnable game because the offense is out of sync. 

Agree, though hopefully they are better than 500.  Though 500 is certainly possible.

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I agree....play the all the starters, reed and Williams (fatcats) included.

Archived