Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friday Night Lights - Game Thread

TK

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Seeing as AP just got cut from the Cardinals and we play them Week 1...doesn't that seem ironic he'd come back there and torch them!?  He ran good behind the OL.  Give him 2 weeks to game plan vs the team he practiced against for months.  I'm expecting a heavy dose of AD In AZ

I'd like to see a bunch of play-action as well. 

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Finlay who said he talked to Swearinger who said tonight was a test and the defense failed that test.  Maybe there is an upside to all of this -- I like the defense playing with a chip on their shoulder -- so maybe tonight's game is an impetus for that.  

Doubt it. They can play with all the chips they want but if the talent/scheme is not there, then forget about it. 

Line still gives to much space up the middle. LB still can’t cover the flat and secondary looked as lost as ever.

For some damn reason we are banking on a secondary that has a converted WR playing DB, an aging corner, and a safety who is getting praised but played 6 games last year?

I thought it was good that they got roughed up on defense, keeps em humbled after they played well in the first 2 games vs no Brady and a rebuilding Jets team. Give them something to work on and towards..Offensively, I mean you can't call this the run through game since we didn't have Crowder, Reed, nor CT. I saw on the Broncos sbnation message board they think we're a mess and none of them mentioned who we weren't playing on offense, they're drinking the cool aid.

I mean we pulled our guys half way through the 2nd quarter they were still playing starters well into the 3rd. I mean they had Shane Ray their first rounder back in 2015 who was a key contributor to their SB run playing in the 3rd going against an undrafted 2nd year guy..

I loved that scat back they had Lindsay out of Colorado, Dude looks like he can be a real problem for opposing teams..

AP looked good out there, his experience is really gonna help out the younger guys.

It'll be a good film session room game for the team. 

Let me preface this by saying we appear to have more talent on the O.  I have to wait and see how they look as a unit in Arizona.   Most of us agree that Alex looked sharp last week in limited action, BUT he did practice all week with the Jets.  So there you go IMO.  He had his timing and rhythm down prior to the game because he practiced all week against the Jets.   Last night he looked very rusty.  And apparently QB's need these reps regardless of their time in the league.  I mean Brady was talking about it the other day. Just how important the reps are.   All the starting QB's in the league took a bunch of reps last night most finishing with two full quarters.   Not us.   While I am not a big fan of preseason because of injuries you can't use that as an excuse not to get into flow.  What we were seeing last night on the O is a lack of flow and cohesion. Just rust from the QB.  And it builds quickly apparently,  And yet Alex seemed to rebound in the 2nd quarter.  More flow.  But you heard Jay in his post game presser.   He is trying to minimize injuries to get to Arizona.  So we are going to look a bit out sync I think for the first quarter or so in the first game.   

I liked AP but just have to see how he does in consecutive games. But backs in this league, good ones, historically have done well.   Geez anything is better then Kelley.  

Now the Defense.  Wow even in preseason I thought our secondary would be our achilles heel.  And DJ can talk all he wants - he is inconsistent himself. So that is not shocking to me.  What is shocking is how they have not shored up the other side with a FA CB.   Our secondary is going to get torched  on the side Norman is not on.  Norman will come through.  You can look at how often he is targeted and QB's tend to stay away from him.  And he was injured last year.  I am going to predict right now that he his going to have a great year. And while I am at it we are weak, weak weak at FS.  And we do not have a legit CB playing opposite Norman.  And the thought that our line is going to hide this major deficiency there....dream on.  Holy ****.  Our secondary is weak.  

Is there anyone we can bring in to minimize the deficiencies there?  Would the FO even do it?  The "win now" philosophy would dictate you should look at it. 

Now the fundamental stuff that I call typical Redskinesque is the, "let's try to tackle around the shoulders"  And screw tackling 101.  How is it possible that we continue to have the same sort of play regardless of who is on the roster and what year it is?  I feel like I am stuck in an alternative universe I cannot escape.  It is for me, a real lover of this game, frustrating as hell when I do not see good fundamentals and a lack of discipline and half-assed effort. That is what gets you injured IMO.  Half assed.  Half effort.   And boy we showed it last night.

2 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

No CT, no Crowder, no Reed, but our starters played a lot..

Not having Reed and Crowder in really hurt the offense last night.  Denver has athletic cornerbacks, but our biggest matchup nightmare (Reed) would have forced them to play in uncomfortable situations.  Davis I'd good, but he's no Reed.

6 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

No CT, no Crowder, no Reed, but our starters played a lot..

Reed is the starter but CT is not  our starter at RB and our starting WRs are supposedly Doctson and Richardson.

8 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Not having Reed and Crowder in really hurt the offense last night.  Denver has athletic cornerbacks, but our biggest matchup nightmare (Reed) would have forced them to play in uncomfortable situations.  Davis I'd good, but he's no Reed.

I was shocked at Vernon Davis through the first 3 drives. Dropped pass on 3rd and 8 on the first drive. Runs route a yard shy of the sticks and gets tackled short on the second drive. Wasn't in sync with Smith on the deep out to kill the third drive. That was terrible. Please get better soon, Jordan Reed. 

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Whats worrisome is on JP's podcast all 3 of those guys were talking about WR's being wide open while Alex was starring down VD all day.

Good lesson learned last night to not make his old SF buddy a priority when the games count. 

Just now, JSSkinz said:

Whats worrisome is on JP's podcast all 3 of those guys were talking about WR's being wide open while Alex was starring down VD all day.

Smith's performance last night wasn't great no doubt, but I am not worried about it, because we know he is better, much better than what he showed last night.

Was he just off for one night? Trying too hard? Following a bland gameplan designed to get Peterson many carries?

I don't know. However, I'm confident he'll show better when the season starts.

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

Good lesson learned last night to not make his old SF buddy a priority when the games count. 

Vernon usually makes those plays, I can't remember him dropping too many like he did in San Fran.

Alex put that running pass right on the money, that was a throw I haven't seen since RG3 was here.

I just watched the replay. 

There's no way to sugarcoat it. 

We sucked last night. 

The only, and I mean ONLY silver lining is that in two weeks this game goes in the garbage and not the loss column. 

I wasn't even as impressed with Peterson as everybody else was but It was the only positive of the evening. 

It feels like we're back to all the same lousy excuses, it's only pre-season, maybe they'll use this as motivation, etc, etc. 

I feel like I'm in a time loop from previous seasons. 

This is so depressing, the third game is supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the season and if this is an indication of what to expect its gonna be a veeerrry long year. 

Put this crap in the trash and move on I guess. 

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

Smith's performance last night wasn't great no doubt, but I am not worried about it, because we know he is better, much better than what he showed last night.

Was he just off for one night? Trying too hard? Following a bland gameplan designed to get Peterson many carries?

I don't know. However, I'm confident he'll show better when the season starts.

I hope so, I was hoping to paste some pics of his passing downs from the All-22 but just found out they don't do it for preseason.

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Vernon usually makes those plays, I can't remember him dropping too many like he did in San Fran.

Alex put that running pass right on the money, that was a throw I haven't seen since RG3 was here.

Exactly.  Vernon doesn't have the natural hands to regularly catch passes that he has to stretch for. On the easy ones within the easy catch radius, he's generally money though. And an old vet like him not running his route at the line to gain? Man, that's just ugly. 

It doesn't feel like it, but all these issues from last night on both sides of the ball can be a blessing. We are going to be let down until the AZ game, so imagine the anger and shame these players want to shake off. They're going to be focused hard these weeks and hungry to kick AZ butt. 

Alex Smith is going to be a massive waste of an investment. Other teams looked at him as a good stopgap but you don’t give an okay 34 year old QB a 5 year contract for $71 mil guaranteed, AND trade a great young corner for him. You just don’t. Smith was a product of Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, and Andy Reid last year. You look before that he showed very little that constitutes being one of the 7 most paid QBs in the league.

If we couldn’t get Smith on a 1-2 year deal then why not take a look at Teddy or Keenum? You could have possibly gotten one of the QBs in this draft because you’re not tied to them (as much as I love Payne).

3 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Alex Smith is going to be a massive waste of an investment. Other teams looked at him as a good stopgap but you don’t give an okay 34 year old QB a 5 year contract for $71 mil guaranteed, AND trade a great young corner for him. You just don’t. Smith was a product of Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, and Andy Reid last year. You look before that he showed very little that constitutes being one of the 7 most paid QBs in the league.

If we couldn’t get Smith on a 1-2 year deal then why not take a look at Teddy or Keenum? You could have possibly gotten one of the QBs in this draft because you’re not tied to them (as much as I love Payne).

What's done is done, so we have no choice but to sit back and see how it goes, or find something better to do with the time we have. 

For everyone drawing conclusions from a preseason game about Smith, our pass D, or any number of things - just remember the 2006 Raiders went 4-1 in the preseason, only to go 2-14 for the year. And they looked good in the 3rd game (4th for them) - “the dress rehearsal” too. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2006082504/2006/PRE3/lions@raiders?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr

Yes, I’m annoyed at Alex’s play as you are, and I’m slightly worried about the secondary. But this is preseason for a reason. The issues we saw are fixable. 

9 hours ago, Gibbit said:

I agree....play the all the starters, reed and Williams (fatcats) included.

I’d like to see the complete starting offense show some prowess, too. But, since Gruden has limited their participation for three straight pre-season games to minimize injury risk, why change that strategy for the last and most irrelevant pre-season game?

Smith is laughing all the way to the bank with the contract he signed.  He will work hard but he needs other weapons around him.  I am just hoping this team will still be competitive by the end of the first half of the season.  If they get hit again with major injuries to key starters then it could be another long season.  Our second string on both offense and defense does not look like they are ready to step up with the exception of Colt McCoy and last night the offense line did not give him much time to throw.

Archived