Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Football players can be trained to help strengthen the ligaments around the knee.  They can stretch certain parts of the body with flexibility and conditioning.  They can do certain exercises to develop parts of the body to help AVOID the catastrophic injury.  Yes, freak injuries happen, but we've also seen players go down with seemingly a catastrophic tear, but ends up being a sprain and they miss 2 games instead of a tear causing them to lose the season.  D.Hall tore his ACL getting food out of his fridge.  SOMETHING was wrong there.  That SHOULD NEVER happen.  It was a freak accident, but a properly treated ACL injury doesnt just pop.  

I've been rolled up. No amount of training can prevent a knee injury from that and it is often how OL get hurt.

Roullier had a broken hand though - again there is no training to prevent that.

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I understand how bad it was but injuries happen and our backups proved insufficient,  that does not appear to have changed.  Other than the Rams game, which was an aberration, the run game particularly short yardage was a problem all season. Trent didn't go on IR until December, Scherff played all year and while limited Moses played all year too.  Chase filled in for Long and most felt that was an upgrade or at least break even.  Then we have Lauvao who is still here.  

We just do not have good backs and virtually the same OL and that's still going to be a problem IMO. 

Just a few inaccuracies with your statement:

Although TW went on IR in December he missed two games in October and was limited in others. Scherff missed those same two games and only played half of the one before it. 

I looked at the snap counts for OL. I wanted to see how much our projected starting OL played last year as a percentage. To be especially fair I counted Long's and Roullier's snaps together (i.e. consider them each half of the starting C).

Here is the result:

LT (Williams): 61%

LG (Lauvao): 63%

C (Long/Roullier): 83% -- (Long: 38%, Roullier: 45%)

RG (Scherff): 86%

RT (Moses): 95%

Starters combined: 75%

Starters from week 1: 66%

1 hour ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I've been rolled up. No amount of training can prevent a knee injury from that and it is often how OL get hurt.

Roullier had a broken hand though - again there is no training to prevent that.

Absolutely.  There are freak injuries that happen that are unavoidable...  But there are also injuries that are unavoidable that can be conditioned to be less severe.  Like I said, I'm not close enough involved to say with any real definition, that the training staff needs to be replaced.... but the consistency of injury is concerning.  

Just watched the game... haven’t read any thoughts so I’m going to post mine and then see how they jive with others...

Payne and Allen are studs inside. They are going to make a big difference inside. Combined with Foster and Brown inside and our run defense, if guys stay relatively healthy, is going to be much improved.

Tim Settle once again looked pretty good. There were some big runs while he was in game, but he was actively taking doubles and staying strong at the point of attack. He really extended and strengthened his base by turning and not allowing the combo to drive him. He’s going to make this team.

Preston Smith and Kerrigan, who are both good anyways, are going to benefit big time from the interior pressure. Smith is going to set himself up to get paid this season.

Lots of wing sets offensively. 

Trey Quinn is a mixed bag. Not sure he has a place on the roster. Will need to be better the next two.

Perine looked great on his carry. Credit the OL but that was a burst and vision that he didn’t show much last season. Im a fan.

Kelley looked better than I’ve seen him. He may have some extra umph that I didn’t see before. Fought for yards. Not going to be a world beater but solid is an option.

i like Bibbs better than Marshall. But Marshall is more versatile.

Theyre going to get creative on how to get Vernon Davis the football. That’s essential for Smith. Needs that safety valve. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Trey Quinn is a mixed bag. Not sure he has a place on the roster. Will need to be better the next two.

I thought Quinn showed good speed & quickness and hands but I never saw him in man, only zone coverage. I have him as the #6 wide receiver but he seems to be the best backup to Crowder at this time so coaches may want him on the 53 with Crowder coming off a serious injury. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Theyre going to get creative on how to get Vernon Davis the football. That’s essential for Smith. Needs that safety valve. 

I think we will see a lot more 22 formations this year. That’ll keep both Davis and Reed on the field - two very good pass options. Plus, it’s a good formation to audible out of. I think Bibbs had a nice run with a FB in the eye. 

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If the secondary can just hold up, this can be a top 10 if not top 5 D. The Front 7 could be scary good.

Top 10 is expectation, top 5 would be overachieving but attainable

@KDawg What was mixed about Quinn? Had 2 nice kick returns and found holes in zone X 3. What is downside?

32 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Top 10 is expectation, top 5 would be overachieving but attainable

@KDawg What was mixed about Quinn? Had 2 nice kick returns and found holes in zone X 3. What is downside?

The route in the end zone was pretty bad. I don’t think you can really judge a rookie for that in his first real preseason action. He is known to run good routes so it was a learning  experience imo. 

Happy to see not many if any hamstring injuries.  To me that seemed to be a big problem in years past.  The injuries during this preseason seemed to be freak accidents that weren’t avoidable.  

I don’t know how you can avoid ACL tears and ankle rolls.

To be clear, I’m not panning Quinn in the sense that I don’t think he can improve...

ive seen some sloppy routes from him, a case or two of alligator arms and I don’t see much separation. He had some positives, too, as mentioned by someone above. 

He’ll have a chance to make it due to Davis’ injury. 

I’m just not high on him at this point. I realize he’s a fan favorite here and I’m in the minority, though

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

To be clear, I’m not panning Quinn in the sense that I don’t think he can improve...

ive seen some sloppy routes from him, a case or two of alligator arms and I don’t see much separation. He had some positives, too, as mentioned by someone above. 

He’ll have a chance to make it due to Davis’ injury. 

I’m just not high on him at this point. I realize he’s a fan favorite here and I’m in the minority, though

That's fine. Most of the good buzz has come from Training Camp reports, but on the field for all to see, still has a lot to prove.

For a nearly undrafted guy that would likely be 5th on a depth chart? and also shows PR ability? I like it. :) 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

What? 

First, did you see on Twitter from Friday morning about how ESPN accidentally had on a notification from Thursday night that Hopkins kicked a 92 yard FG? Hopkins went on Twitter and tagged nick sundberg and tress way thanking them for helping him achieve that record :P 

then today, Hopkins got a letter from the league (maybe a joke letter typed up by the special teams??) saying he’s been randomly selected for a drug test. Could be real cause of his 5 FGs on Thursday night, but funny no matter what just cause of the timing ?

Archived