Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

11 hours ago, redskinss said:

Its surprising to me that after four years with mike shanahan as our head coach that more people don't see that you can manufacture a running game without a supremely talented running back. 

I'm bummed out about guice too and think he would have definitely made this football team better but I just don't see how we were gonna be a playoff contender with him and looking at a high draft pick without him.

There are certain coaches who's offense relies on premier running back, I don't think grudens happens to be one of  them. 

I'd like to be optimistic that we don't need a premier back, but ever since 2014, we have gotten worse at running the ball. We basically have the same backfield as last year in Kelley and Perine plus some shiny toys in Bibbs and Marshal; there's not much reason to think our running game will be different from last year.

For the people saying that Kelley was injured last season... Fair point. But back when he was fully healthy in 2016, he wasn't really all that great then. When compared to Matt Jones, ANYONE would have shined. I have no problems with him being a sub, or even to start a game or two, but I am very doubtful about our running game with him starting an entire season. Perine I'd rate at a 50-50 chance of working out, I'd just rather not be forced to rely on a 50-50 chance as our only other option.

19 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'd like to be optimistic that we don't need a premier back, but ever since 2014, we have gotten worse at running the ball. We basically have the same backfield as last year in Kelley and Perine plus some shiny toys in Bibbs and Marshal; there's not much reason to think our running game will be different from last year.

For the people saying that Kelley was injured last season... Fair point. But back when he was fully healthy in 2016, he wasn't really all that great then

Someone stated that at least 4.0 ypc is the goal for our running attack.

In 2016, Kelley had 4.2 ypc on 168 carries, 6 TD's, and a 66 yard run, all in limited action, and as a rookie.

I don't see how that can be interpreted as anything BUT a promising NFL back.

On the topic of Kelley, i think most people forget that against the Rams, he was closing in on a 200 yard day rushing (somewhere around those numbers) before he went out of the game, and then he was injured the rest of the season. And in 2016, as somebody pointed out earlier, if he hadn’t had to split reps with Matt jones early on, Kelley could have easily had 1,000+ yards on the season (that was with a healthy o line). Let’s wait and see what he can do with a healthy line this season. 

57 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I feel like this spun into a Kelley vs perine debate

I guess it will always come up, so long as people are ultimately trying to determine the best 3 or 4 backs to keep on the depth chart, so it doesn't feel odd. Injuries scare the hell out of me for all these guys, but in a way, I am glad to have more PS games ahead. This is what chiseling down that 53 is all about, and I'm giving all backs (and others) a chance to earn spots instead of prematurely taking hard sides for or against. 

:headbang:

56 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I feel like this spun into a Kelley vs perine debate

It has, with the lack of TC news coming in. I don't know what the debate is about though, neither guys is all that good. I think Kelly is getting more out of what he has, but Perine has more talent. Neither are the answer.

Honestly the only player I don't  want to see out on the field tomorrow is Jordan Reed.  I think just about everybody else needs to put some work on tape.

23 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

It has, with the lack of TC news coming in. I don't know what the debate is about though, neither guys is all that good. I think Kelly is getting more out of what he has, but Perine has more talent. Neither are the answer.

:rofl89::rofl89:

26 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Honestly the only player I don't  want to see out on the field tomorrow is Jordan Reed.  I think just about everybody else needs to put some work on tape.

:rofl89::rofl89:

No kidding, right? The last thing I want to see is Reed stub his toe and be gone for the year. Because, we know that could happen. :rofl89:

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If the thought of Kelly as the starting back of 2018 disappoints you, simply imagine this :

Rob Kelley is the RB version of Nick Foles....playing a position that's far less important than the one Foles played.

Maybe, but......................

Foles was not the staring RB. Kelly or Perine will be.

The Eagles won with Defense and the 3rd ranked rushing attack. Right now, we don't have either.

Alex Smith has had both things going for him for the vast majority of his career. Right now, we won't have anything close to that kind of rushing attack, and the defense MIGHT be in that area, but we really don't know. If it stays healthy, which the current trend say that we will be injured more than most teams.

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Maybe, but......................

Foles was not the staring RB. Kelly or Perine will be.

The Eagles won with Defense and the 3rd ranked rushing attack. Right now, we don't have either.

Alex Smith has had both things going for him for the vast majority of his career. Right now, we won't have anything close to that kind of rushing attack, and the defense MIGHT be in that area, but we really don't know. If it stays healthy, which the current trend say that we will be injured more than most teams.

It's an interesting paragraph. It shifts from past.. to present.. to past.. to present.. to future.. to present.. to future... back to past.. to future.

That's really cool. 

54 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

It's an interesting paragraph. It shifts from past.. to present.. to past.. to present.. to future.. to present.. to future... back to past.. to future.

That's really cool. 

I wish I could tell you that I planned it that way.......but I usually can't get through a post without needing to edit a typo. :rofl89:

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

A rogue Gatorade cup could knock him out for the year if you threw it hard enough. 

KB, you know is board is public, right? I mean all it takes is for a rogue Jets fan to come over here and..................... :deadhorse:

There lies Reed.

Guys, what if some pie-in-the-sky bull**** actually happens for us? 

In 2013/14, the Falcons drafted a squat, bowling ball of butcher knives type RB in the 4th round. His measurables were nothing special but his tape looked good. He disappointed his rookie year and didn't show that college fire/talent much.

The next year, he hadn't made his mark so they reacted by drafting a highly explosive RB named Tevin Coleman in the 2nd. Everyone expected him to be the premier RB. He got hurt early his rookie year and the second year disappointment ended up with a chance to prove himself and turned out to be the kind of guy who runs like his hair's on fire, like he did in college. His name of course was Devonta Freeman and the rest is history. 

The parallels are kinda uncanny.

If we're lucky, Perine is like Devonta Freeman, and looks more like his college self this year...and then we have two damn good RB's. 

To be clear I think Freeman was a better prospect than Perine and this is unlikely. I think Guice was a better and more complete prospect than Coleman was and ends up better.

But...what if though. 

I like the thinking, @ConnSKINS26.

With a healthy OL and effective pass game to keep defenses reasonably honest, I can see all but the suckiest of backs looking like keepers. 

On offense, I really think everything will come down to the OL. Even without an elite QB, top tier WRs or RBs, this offense can be enough to keep Washington relevant in the NFC. So with health at QB, OL, and a defense that isn't bottom tier, why not dream a little? :P 

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't mean to rain on fan's enthusiasm but this is virtually the same OL and RBs as we had last year as has been pointed out.  Why would we see dramatic improvement in a very real problem, specifically short yardage, this season?

Injuries.  Regardless of who is carrying the ball this year, you have to figure running behind a healthy O-line will be an instant upgrade over the hodge podge O-line we had last year.  IF, and that's a really big IF, we can stay healthy along that line, we 'should' see an improvement.  How much of an improvement?  There's a ton of factors in that, but it should be better.  

12 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Nicely put lol...

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think our defense can be tops in the league this year. A middle of the road running game and solid passing game should be enough. 

This is my secret optimism...Payne being injured and Scandrick not bouncing back and instead apparently being an overall prick doesn’t help that optimism though lol...

Archived