Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

https://www.redskins.com/news/three-things-we-ve-learned-after-joint-practices-with-the-jets?sf195680890=1

on the joint practices with NYJ

“I thought it was invaluable for us, especially on the offensive side of the ball,” quarterback Alex Smith said. “We've been going against the defense so much that a lot of times you can kind of get ahead of yourself, start anticipating things since you know what's going to happen. I think it was great for all of us to get a look at something different. We've got to trust our fundamentals, trust our rules, go out there and execute. To get three days of work in, I know we had some drama the first day, but I thought both sides stepped up the past two days, keeping it professional and getting a lot of great work in.”

10 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Alex has incorporated some RPO’s from his own offense in KC.  He does NOT need to play behind anything but our starting Oline in a preseason game.  

I’m sure all of these players are tough......

I disagree.  I feel like the biggest thing he needs to do now is get live fire reps with his offense.  He needs to get timing down.  It's one thing when he's taking a rep from a coach and the WR is 1 on 1 with a DB.  It's another thing when it's a game situation where someone on the other side of the ball has something to lose.  I've heard reports that his anticipation with his WRs has been great.. let's continue to develop that relationship in real time.  

20 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Alex has incorporated some RPO’s from his own offense in KC.  He does NOT need to play behind anything but our starting Oline in a preseason game.  

I’m sure all of these players are tough......

I mean, that's fine and all, but that's not Gruden's offense. I think we need to see that. He didn't take a single snap in the opener. He won't play in the 4th game, because starters never do. He needs to play some

And, if all these players are so tough, why are we always at the top of the league with injure time missed? Jay runs a soft camp, and then you get into the regular season, a bunch of guys go down. This is a trend, and it's not a good one.

On 8/15/2018 at 8:14 AM, KDawg said:

I'm not a Rob Kelley fan, personally. I think he's a solid journeyman back for a team that needs one. But I don't think he fits in our logjammed backfield. 

Totally agree, NEVER was a fan. Unless by the end of the preseason he looks drastically better than the other RBs, I don't want him on our roster. Nothin against him personally,  but I saw enough of him last season.

34 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Because Kelley slimmed down...duhh:runlukerun:

You ever notice when he runs it looks like his helmet is loose or he is just bobbing his head.  Kind of cracks me up.  Usually have to wait till he gets into open field, so you may see it like 1-2 times this year.  

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

I mean, that's fine and all, but that's not Gruden's offense. I think we need to see that. He didn't take a single snap in the opener. He won't play in the 4th game, because starters never do. He needs to play some

And, if all these players are so tough, why are we always at the top of the league with injure time missed? Jay runs a soft camp, and then you get into the regular season, a bunch of guys go down. This is a trend, and it's not a good one.

Ok, so a tough camp will stop a freak accidents like breaking a leg (Thompson) - tearing an ACL (Guice) - Spraining Ankles / Shoulder Separations / torn up knees / etc etc etc.....you be the one to tell Trent Williams he’s not tough to his face.  Good luck!  **** happens, no rhyme no reason, get over it.  

16 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Ok, so a tough camp will stop a freak accidents like breaking a leg (Thompson) - tearing an ACL (Guice) - Spraining Ankles / Shoulder Separations / torn up knees / etc etc etc.....you be the one to tell Trent Williams he’s not tough to his face.  Good luck!  **** happens, no rhyme no reason, get over it.  

And yet, we're at the bottom of the league (or top depending on how you look at it) when it comes to injuries, and have been for years. Gruden runs a admittedly soft camp. When you're not used to something, and then get exposed to it, bad things happen. They happen when you're not used to it. I think there are other factors involved (I've gone over them in another thread) but having a "easy" TC is a great way to get hit with injuries when the season starts.

Have you ever played sports? If so, you should understand. When you do things that are significantly different from the conditions you're supposed to perform under, it is less likely you will be able to perform under those conditions. Now, if you don't agree with THAT, then I supposed we really don't have anything to talk about.

19 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

And yet, we're at the bottom of the league (or top depending on how you look at it) when it comes to injuries, and have been for years. Gruden runs a admittedly soft camp. When you're not used to something, and then get exposed to it, bad things happen. They happen when you're not used to it. I think there are other factors involved (I've gone over them in another thread) but having a "easy" TC is a great way to get hit with injuries when the season starts.

Have you ever played sports? If so, you should understand. When you do things that are significantly different from the conditions you're supposed to perform under, it is less likely you will be able to perform under those conditions. Now, if you don't agree with THAT, then I supposed we really don't have anything to talk about.

Got it, your word is law, anyone elses opinion doesn’t matter.  Apparently you are a semi pro athlete.....

Here’s a news flash, someone falling on the back of my leg and breaking it has absolutely ZERO to do with a soft or not TC.  IMO, your talking points do not hold a lot of water, although according to you they do and cannot be argued.  So sure, we can stop talking about the topic.  Go Skins!  (I guess you would agree with that...)

56 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

If you truly believe that **** happens, then you should have no problem with the starters playing as much time as possible? 

IMHO, you're right, **** happens sometimes... but there are also a lot of injuries that would APPEAR to be avoidable with higher levels of conditioning.... things like hamstring pulls, ankle sprains... oblique strains, core injuries, all things we have suffered from... There are certain exercises, workouts, drills and strength training practices, that can help the body be built up to avoid some of those issues.  Another thing these guys need to do, is condition themselves on how to take a hit.. Guys like RG3 simply cannot take a hit very well.  Russell Wilson is VERY good at taking hits, to where they don't have as big of a risk of injury.  Preseason is a great time for guys to get back into that flow. 

15 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Got it, your word is law, anyone elses opinion doesn’t matter.  Apparently you are a semi pro athlete.....

Here’s a news flash, someone falling on the back of my leg and breaking it has absolutely ZERO to do with a soft or not TC.  IMO, your talking points do not hold a lot of water, although according to you they do and cannot be argued.  So sure, we can stop talking about the topic.  Go Skins!  (I guess you would agree with that...)

Seriously, get over yourself.

If you don't agree with my stance, refute it. But it's usually works out better if you have something to back it up with. Right now, you just "say stuff". I haven't seen anything facts related to back up anything you've stated, and your logic seems very flawed to me.

Here's a news flash ( to use your words), if you're not used to getting hit, your get hurt when you do. When you're used to getting hit, you don't get hurt as badly, or as often. It's like being out in the sun. If you're out there every day, you get used to it. If you're not, and all of a sudden need to be, it kicks your ass. See how the logic works?

So, what's your hypothesis on why we have so many injuries, compared to the rest of the NFL every year?

Most players simply don’t stop and start getting second jobs selling cars  in the offeseason as used to be the case . They will continue to train and condition throughout the year . 

If you are not in great condition when you get to camp then you are not going to be in the league for long . 

Mostly camp now is situational conditioning getting people used to game conditions and trawling through the potentials to see who might be worth holding on to . 

Hitting has has been severely limited by the NFL PA so teams are hampered in what they can and cannot do teach and not teach . You could say they could take time out to teach some martial arts techniques break falls and how to take a hit ... but at the expense of what ? They have very limited contact time now . Individual might want to do that but the team cannot spare the practice hours . 

People want to see a pattern to injuries but sometimes there is nothing more to it other than random luck ... the problem with random events is luck has no memory it doesn’t matter if all your team mates have been struck by injury if there is a 1 in a thousand chance that when someone is tackled on the football field and breaks their leg and the tackle that you just had was that 1 in 1000 then it’s tough - you can not argue with probability ... 

1 minute ago, bedlamVR said:

Most players simply don’t stop and start getting second jobs selling cars  in the offeseason as used to be the case . They will continue to train and condition throughout the year . 

If you are not in great condition when you get to camp then you are not going to be in the league for long . 

Mostly camp now is situational conditioning getting people used to game conditions and trawling through the potentials to see who might be worth holding on to . 

Hitting has has been severely limited by the NFL PA so teams are hampered in what they can and cannot do teach and not teach . You could say they could take time out to teach some martial arts techniques break falls and how to take a hit ... but at the expense of what ? They have very limited contact time now . Individual might want to do that but the team cannot spare the practice hours . 

People want to see a pattern to injuries but sometimes there is nothing more to it other than random luck ... the problem with random events is luck has no memory it doesn’t matter if all your team mates have been struck by injury if there is a 1 in a thousand chance that when someone is tackled on the football field and breaks their leg and the tackle that you just had was that 1 in 1000 then it’s tough - you can not argue with probability ... 

Which is why it's so important for these guys to be getting preseason reps... when they CAN get hit.  When they ARE going full speed.  You can't do that stuff in practice anymore, so when the bullets start flyin, there's an adjustment period.  

13 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

There IS a pattern. The pattern being that the teams is one of the most injured teams every year for the last several years. You can argue the WHY and HOW, but you can't argue the pattern. It's there. Random luck does not great trends or patterns.

19 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Seriously, get over yourself.

If you don't agree with my stance, refute it. But it's usually works out better if you have something to back it up with. Right now, you just "say stuff". I haven't seen anything facts related to back up anything you've stated, and your logic seems very flawed to me.

Here's a news flash ( to use your words), if you're not used to getting hit, your get hurt when you do. When you're used to getting hit, you don't get hurt as badly, or as often. It's like being out in the sun. If you're out there every day, you get used to it. If you're not, and all of a sudden need to be, it kicks your ass. See how the logic works?

So, what's your hypothesis on why we have so many injuries, compared to the rest of the NFL every year?

Ok, so your FACTS are that in TC getting hit will stop a leg from breaking when a 230 LB linebacker lands on the back of it???  (Chris Thompson) see there is a fact I’m using, not just saying stuff, like you do with your OPINION.  (Which you pass off as fact).  

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

There IS a pattern. The pattern being that the teams is one of the most injured teams every year for the last several years. You can argue the WHY and HOW, but you can't argue the pattern. It's there. Random luck does not great trends or patterns.

Ugh....get over it, injuries are random.  Yes, unfortunately some players are built differently than others and go thru the injury bug more often.  But, it’s still overwhelmingly chance/randomness that strikes a player.  

Now, when drafting a player, it is probably important to look at injury history, but still you have no idea and your playing the odds they stay healthy.  It’s weighing risks, that’s it.....

1 minute ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Ok, so your FACTS are that in TC getting hit will stop a leg from breaking when a 230 LB linebacker lands on the back of it???  (Chris Thompson) see there is a fact I’m using, not just saying stuff, like you do with your OPINION.  (Which you pass off as fact).  

Nope,

I'm saying that guys going down with shoulders, ankles, and general bumps and brusies (like Doctson and his heal) Won't get them as badly, or as often. Reading comprehension 101. I'll also note you don't have a reason for why we're always around the league leaders in the injury dept. Or do you deny that? You are aware of that, right? Thoughts?

47 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

If you truly believe that **** happens, then you should have no problem with the starters playing as much time as possible? 

IMHO, you're right, **** happens sometimes... but there are also a lot of injuries that would APPEAR to be avoidable with higher levels of conditioning.... things like hamstring pulls, ankle sprains... oblique strains, core injuries, all things we have suffered from... There are certain exercises, workouts, drills and strength training practices, that can help the body be built up to avoid some of those issues.  Another thing these guys need to do, is condition themselves on how to take a hit.. Guys like RG3 simply cannot take a hit very well.  Russell Wilson is VERY good at taking hits, to where they don't have as big of a risk of injury.  Preseason is a great time for guys to get back into that flow. 

LOL, you want me to believe that these PROFESSIONAL athletes are not in shape!!???!  Hahahahahahaha

Well, I’m not a doctor, and I’m assuming you are NOT either.  Thanks for your opinion, I don’t agree with it.  Injuries are random and yes because of that randomness, I have no issue with starters playing limited time in meaningless preseason games.  

10 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't mean to rain on fan's enthusiasm but this is virtually the same OL and RBs as we had last year as has been pointed out.  Why would we see dramatic improvement in a very real problem, specifically short yardage, this season?

It's not the same OL - last year's OL was 3rd and 4th stringers.

Let's also flip the question from 2017 to 2016.

Why would we expect him to be anything less than the 4.2 ypc he put up in 2016 ?

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Didn’t we have a harder training camp this time? If so, why all the injuries STILL? 

I say it all comes down to the training staff. They HAVE to be fired, after this season (if this keeps happening). 

The 2018 season is not over year. In fact, it hasn't even started. We should wait and see if we're better off, about the same, or worse after the season.

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's not the same OL - last year's OL was 3rd and 4th stringers.

Let's also flip the question from 2017 to 2016.

Why would we expect him to be anything less than the 4.2 ypc he put up in 2016 ?

Overlooked? Cousins threw for almost 5k that season, and Matt Jones had a 4.6 ypc. And I don't see anyone wanting Jones back.

All that aside, that's a pretty fair point. The only question is Kelly the same back. I would say "no", but not in necessarily in a bad way. He's been nicked since then, but he's dropped weight and is in better shape. He might have more burst. We already know he runs hard. Could he be a better back? Yes, he could. Will he be good enough to give us the rushing attack we're going to need to be a "good' team, and at least be in the division race? I don't know. I'm not real optimistic about it, but it is possible.

Archived