Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

Haven't kept up here... Some thoughts:

-Signing Adrian Peterson was a low risk high reward signing. Vet minimum is solid. He could turn out being a workhorse for us or be cut after our backs are all healthy (minus Guice). I actually like the move.

-The trainer working with Lauvao in the pic above probably means literally nothing. Trainers do that before practice with players. Could even be an equipment guy. 

-Smith needs to play against the Broncos, even without Trent.

-Harris being out really hurts the receiver corps... I had: Crowder, Richardson, Doctson, Davis and Harris as the receivers before camp... Now two of them are injured, one for the season. This is where having a healthy Reed and a healthy Vernon Davis is very helpful. Hopefully Harris is good to go by the season.

-Stroman has been a delight to watch.

-Not impressed with McPhee, but he's depth at the moment.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

-Harris being out really hurts the receiver corps... I had: Crowder, Richardson, Doctson, Davis and Harris as the receivers before camp... Now two of them are injured, one for the season. This is where having a healthy Reed and a healthy Vernon Davis is very helpful. Hopefully Harris is good to go by the season.

For Harris to be that influential he'd have to get sizeable snaps across all alignments and roles right?  As a pure backup to Doctson's role he'd likely not get enough snaps to make a material impact.  Are you thinking his routes are good enough to threaten defenses deep?

We don't exactly have a clear "stretch the field" backup plan if Paul Richardson misses time.

Why does it seem that every year the team talks about how we got everyone returning healthy but then every year we roll up onto the season with the same guys injured from last year still injured and questionable. 

Its so maddening. 

Hopefully trent and Jordan are just sitting out because their veterans and they want to keep them healthy more so than they couldn't play if this was week one. 

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

For Harris to be that influential he'd have to get sizeable snaps across all alignments and roles right?  As a pure backup to Doctson's role he'd likely not get enough snaps to make a material impact.  Are you thinking his routes are good enough to threaten defenses deep?

We don't exactly have a clear "stretch the field" backup plan if Paul Richardson misses time.

No. I was thinking he hurts our receiver depth being out. Wasn't expanding on it beyond that. He's a good at the sticks route runner who makes timely catches. Reliable receiver. At this point we have three receivers that I trust at the moment that aren't injured.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Can you elaborate, I liked the signing but haven't heard much from the beat reporters or Jay about how he was doing in camp.

Just doesn't seem to be getting much edge push or separation from the tackles when he's in. Doesn't seem to be great in coverage. I'd honestly sign Gallette for vet min for the last preseason game and see what he has. Not sure about McPhee one way or the other.

19 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I've actually heard the opposite coming out of camp.   Now Harris is not a speedster deep threat, but he's (according to beat reporters) lined up at all 3 WR positions this camp.  His versatility is what has turned the most heads.  

32 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Why does it seem that every year the team talks about how we got everyone returning healthy but then every year we roll up onto the season with the same guys injured from last year still injured and questionable. 

Its so maddening. 

Hopefully trent and Jordan are just sitting out because their veterans and they want to keep them healthy more so than they couldn't play if this was week one. 

Combo of injury prone players, bad facilities and a medical/training staff that doesn't have the best reputations can do that to you.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

If Perine is playing in game 4 that makes me think his job is on the line.

We have barely any RB's on the roster.  Normally we carry like 7 or something, we've got what...4 healthy total?  Maybe 5?  Someone has to play, wouldn't surprise me if it's everyone but AP and Thompson.

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

We have barely any RB's on the roster.  Normally we carry like 7 or something, we've got what...4 healthy total?  Maybe 5?  Someone has to play, wouldn't surprise me if it's everyone but AP and Thompson.

But they could easily sign a couple bodies after game 3 if it were just about placeholders for game 4, maybe there's nothing to it but he's 2nd on the depth chart and he's playing in game 4, not something you see too often especially from a coach who doesn't seem to think preseason games are that important.

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If Perine is playing in game 4 that makes me think his job is on the line.

I agree.  Ankles tend to linger, so if he was a lock, I doubt we see him at all unless they're just testing the ankle.  There is a way that we carry 5 RBs and I honestly believe Thompson is the only name LOCKED in.  Kelley is probably safe, and I doubt you bring A.P. in as camp fodder... it COULD be a 2 week prove it deal, and it could change if he sucks but I doubt he will, but who knows.. That's 3 spots (Thompson / Kelley / A.P.) and we have Perine, Bibbs, Marshall, and D. Smith essentially fighting for 2 spots.

Keeping 5 rbs is a lot.  Not sure that is a good option.  It would mean a Robertson, blanding, or Alexander type goes to practice squad to be claimed by others.  

If we keep 5 rbs, one of them being Kelley, and it leads to a young player getting claimed by another team, I will not be very happy. And very confused.  We know Kelley's ceiling, and it's very replaceable.

My vote is for AP / Perine / CT / marshall ( if ready for week 1, if not, Bibbs). I think keeping a 5th would be ridiculous.  If Perine is ready to go for week 1, then AP / CT ( or Bibbs) / Perine are active on game day, and we try to get marshall back in the fold in subsequent weeks. Burning a spot so Kelley can be an unnecessary placeholder would be foolish 

I’m inclined to think Gruden is looking at carrying 2 bruiser types - guys that can handle 1st and 2nd downs, 3rd and short, etc. - Thompson, and a guy that can back Thompson up (or even play for him until he’s closer to 100%). 

So to me, it’s Kelley vs Perine vs Peterson for 2 spots, Bibbs and Marshall (maybe Smith?  I doubt it though) for 1 spot.  

Bibbs and Matshall can also handle the same duties as the others on maybe a more limited basis, so they give you an emergency back that won’t force Thompson into the role.  

With the news/speculation that Marshall could be out longer/for the year, it certainly seems Bibbs is in for now.  I’d say it’s also possible (though probably unlikely) that Marshall goes to PUP while he heals and they get a better look at Bibbs.  They could also waive him with an injury settlement and, assuming the rules allow, bring him back to replace Bibbs.  We’ll see.  

One last angle - if Bibbs really struggles the next two games, the team could instead roll with Kelley, AP and Perine (and wait on Marshall).  Don’t see this as very likely though.  I think last year drove home the need to have a good 3rd down backup to Thompson, but I could be wrong. 

I was just reading a pre season power ranking and there was a couple paragraphs about our running back situation that I thought were pretty funny and would share. 

Have you ever dreamed of bursting through the line of scrimmage, racing down the sideline and running into the end zone for an NFL touchdown?

If so, then this may be your lucky day—because the Washington Redskins are one injury at running back away from open tryouts in the parking lot at Planet Fitness.

25 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Keeping 5 rbs is a lot.  Not sure that is a good option.  It would mean a Robertson, blanding, or Alexander type goes to practice squad to be claimed by others.  

If we keep 5 rbs, one of them being Kelley, and it leads to a young player getting claimed by another team, I will not be very happy. And very confused.  We know Kelley's ceiling, and it's very replaceable.

My vote is for AP / Perine / CT / marshall ( if ready for week 1, if not, Bibbs). I think keeping a 5th would be ridiculous.  If Perine is ready to go for week 1, then AP / CT ( or Bibbs) / Perine are active on game day, and we try to get marshall back in the fold in subsequent weeks. Burning a spot so Kelley can be an unnecessary placeholder would be foolish 

This is exactly where I am... I said in my post that Kelley is likely safe but that's because Gruden loves him.  I personally am in your camp where we've seen what we're gonna see out of him.  Something tells me we haven't seen the best of Perine yet.  

Archived