Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

53 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We had Thorpe and a few others the last few years that were good in camp and surprise cuts that nobody grabbed. 

Add Trent and there goes our offense again 

Yep

Start strong in the desert(Gruden working for that contract, gets his first week one win) bring it home playing hot, defense scores a couple touchdowns sacking number 12 and we keep it going locking down Rogers receivers and get a win in New Orleans this year..

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

My assumption is that he already knows firsthand how the rest of the guys respond to the contact when healthy. For Peterson, it's not about seeing how far along he is in his rehab and if his body can take it...it's just about seeing him play in person, period. He has to make a decision on Peterson in terms of keeping him or not, starting him or not, playing him or not, and those decisions trickle down in terms of what he does with other RBs. He doesn't have to make those types of decisions for Reed, Thompson and the other guys. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24447913/washington-redskins-planning-play-adrian-peterson-friday

"I'd like to see where he is after contact," Gruden said. "I want to see the explosion in the hole, his vision, all that good stuff. I don't think he's going to lose that, but it's just a matter of taking the hits, play after play after play and see where he stands as far as stamina goes."

So what do we think of Reed’s, CT’s, Moses’, William’s stamina right now given their camps.... especially when they’re being held out of pre-season games.

In Arizona. We’re going to see a lot of IV’s and cramping. Happens every year in week 1.

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24447913/washington-redskins-planning-play-adrian-peterson-friday

"I'd like to see where he is after contact," Gruden said. "I want to see the explosion in the hole, his vision, all that good stuff. I don't think he's going to lose that, but it's just a matter of taking the hits, play after play after play and see where he stands as far as stamina goes."

So what do we think of Reed’s, CT’s, Moses’, William’s stamina right now given their camps.... especially when they’re being held out of pre-season games.

In Arizona. We’re going to see a lot of IV’s and cramping. Happens every year in week 1.

That doesn't change anything I said, though. I doubt one of Gruden's main goals in preseason is to try and see how every single player's stamina is holding up. It's a by-product of playing obviously but do you really think he's concerned about Scherff's stamina or Kerrigan's stamina? He has seen how these guys play, practice and prepare for 5 years now. Peterson has been here 3 days...

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Gruden gets AP for 1 practice (missing all of camp).... then quickly cites to the media how explosive he is but he wants to throw him into a game for 7-8 carries 3 days later... because he wants to see how he responds to the banging(contact). Yet, somehow, the same logic doesn’t apply to the rest of the guys?!?

How do you get into game-shape... when you’re not in 11’s and pre-season? Those are the best practices for stimulating ‘games’! Not individual work and skeletons.

Gruden had better be right with this strategy. He’s a decent coach who has created a good culture.... the players like playing for him. And as a result, they’re a resilient bunch. And that’s acceptable to a point.... but results matter more. And Gruden has been a little short in that department.

Is AP rehabbing?  Is he as crucial to the season as Williams/Thompson/Reed?  Gruden already knows what he has in the above three and knows how they fit the offense... not so with AP.  Those guys also aren’t competing for a roster spot or a starting position.  Clearly not an apples to apples comparison.  I will accede that we can’t know if this is the right approach, but Gruden is almost certainly going by what the training staff says.  Whether those guys know what they’re talking about is a different story.  

As for getting them into 11v11, I think he will over the course of the next few weeks (I actually think Reed and Williams are already starting to).  

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I respect the posters saying certain guys don't need to play, those posters are not dummies and I appreciate what they bring to the board but come on, Reed hasn't really played since 2016 and that was also an injury-riddled season.

Tom Brady threw 28 passes last week, I watched the Jags play their starters an entire half while the Vikes played them into the 2nd Qtr, that's 3 of the 4 teams who made the conference championship games last year.

If Reed's not healthy yet then don't play him but get everyone else out there, we're a mediocre team and we need to start doing the opposite of what we have been doing the last 4 years because these slow starts are killing us.  We have to have a better start to this season, we're always playing catch-up and this lack of playing time in preseason can't be helping.

Yeah, I don’t agree with the idea that certain guys don’t need to play.  However, if guys are finalizing their rehab, I wouldn’t be quick to throw them into live action... especially if you’re counting on them as difference makers.    Brady is also not rehabbing, but if you were talking about Smith getting plenty of reps, I’d agree with that.  

Overall, it’s not ideal with the 3 guys.  It would have been great if they were a couple weeks ahead of schedule and had played (and practiced fully) last week and this week, but that’s not the case.  I’ll add that it seems a lot tougher to get healthy in-season, so rushing them back isn’t likely to allow them to get to 100%. So it is what it is at this point.  

Edit: the above is, IMO, a separate issue from resting your stars because you’re afraid they could get hurt.  Disappointed to see the blurb about Gruden not wanting to play Smith week 2. :(

33 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

That doesn't change anything I said, though. I doubt one of Gruden's main goals in preseason is to try and see how every single player's stamina is holding up. It's a by-product of playing obviously but do you really think he's concerned about Scherff's stamina or Kerrigan's stamina? He has seen how these guys play, practice and prepare for 5 years now. Peterson has been here 3 days...

I’m not worried about Scherff’s and Kerrigan’s stamina either! None of us are because they’ve been through camp and haven’t missed a day! We’re talking about the guys who haven’t been through camp.... who aren’t nursing/rehabbing injuries but getting back into shape.

Payne sprained his ankle and was out for 2-3 weeks. Are we nursing him back into practice? Or has he jumped right back in?!

We’ve all heard that CT thinks he won’t be fully recovered until November. Does that mean he’s not going to play in the season opener?!? Of course he is. We expect he’ll be limited though. But we’ve heard nothing of the sort for Reed, Williams, Moses, etc. They are starters.... they aren’t going to be limited. They don’t have positions by committee. If they aren’t ready by now... they won’t be ready for Day 1.

28 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Falcons doing similar things

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/23/julio-jones-would-like-to-face-jalen-ramsey-but-wont/

" Julio Jones isn’t going to play in the preseason... The Falcons are holding running back Devonta Freeman out as well, as they’ve made it clear they want to protect their stars."

Are Jones and Freeman coming off significant injuries last year?

At the end of the day you're walking a fine line as a HC... the end fact is you have to keep guys healthy, but they also need reps.

IMO the general idea is:

1. If you're a rookie & healthy, you need to play to get practice NFL reps and get used to the O/D

2. If you're a team vet and dont have an injury history - play in preseason (limited snaps)

3. If you're team vet and a KEY player on the team but have an inj history/ recovering from inj - Do not play. (its a long season and you need to keep key starters healthy)

4. If you're back-up/ low round rookie - you play A LOT - lets see what you got and where you fall in the hierarchy

As for AP, I bet he gets 9+ snaps.. Gruden needs to know what he has in AP and if its better than other RBs on the roster. I have no problem with his playing time in preseason decisions.  

1 minute ago, oraphus said:

At the end of the day you're walking a fine line as a HC... the end fact is you have to keep guys healthy, but they also need reps.

IMO the general idea is:

1. If you're a rookie & healthy, you need to play to get practice NFL reps and get used to the O/D

2. If you're a team vet and dont have an injury history - play in preseason (limited snaps)

3. If you're team vet and a KEY player on the team but have an inj history/ recovering from inj - Do not play. (its a long season and you need to keep key starters healthy)

4. If you're back-up/ low round rookie - you play A LOT - lets see what you got and where you fall in the hierarchy

As for AP, I bet he gets 9+ snaps.. Gruden needs to know what he has in AP and if its better than other RBs on the roster. I have no problem with his playing time in preseason decisions.  

You know, it would be an interesting study to conduct.... to see if holding out players from pre-season has any correlation to injury avoidance (missed playing time) in the regular season.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I respect the posters saying certain guys don't need to play, those posters are not dummies and I appreciate what they bring to the board but come on, Reed hasn't really played since 2016 and that was also an injury-riddled season.

Tom Brady threw 28 passes last week, I watched the Jags play their starters an entire half while the Vikes played them into the 2nd Qtr, that's 3 of the 4 teams who made the conference championship games last year.

If Reed's not healthy yet then don't play him but get everyone else out there, we're a mediocre team and we need to start doing the opposite of what we have been doing the last 4 years because these slow starts are killing us.  We have to have a better start to this season, we're always playing catch-up and this lack of playing time in preseason can't be helping.

2016 was an injury-riddled season for reed? he missed what, 3 games, out of 16? that, to me, is far from injury-riddled. especially compared to last season. also, to say he "hasn't really played since 2016" is not fair. I want to say his last game playing was week 7 in philly on MNF. caught 1 or 2 TDs, didn't he? 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I forgot to mention that there was some talk that Alex wouldn't get any reps in game #2 -- Grant Paulsen asked Craig Hoffman what changed and he said Alex told Jay he wanted to play.

This I don't agree with. Like everybody around here knows, we've started out every season under Jay pretty roughly. These guys need to play in the pre-season. Alex is coming to a new team, with all new players, in a new system. He needs all the reps he can get. Handling this entire team with kid gloves during the pre-season is going to cause us to get our asses kicked by teams that are much more prepared for full contact work.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

This I don't agree with. Like everybody around here knows, we've started out every season under Jay pretty roughly. These guys need to play in the pre-season. Alex is coming to a new team, with all new players, in a new system. He needs all the reps he can get. Handling this entire team with kid gloves during the pre-season is going to cause us to get our asses kicked by teams that are much more prepared for full contact work.

Playing 34y old Smith behind a backup Oline is a risky proposition.. limiting him to a few snaps a game is fine, even at the caveat of the O being rusty the first couple of games

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

2016 was an injury-riddled season for reed? he missed what, 3 games, out of 16? that, to me, is far from injury-riddled. especially compared to last season. also, to say he "hasn't really played since 2016" is not fair. I want to say his last game playing was week 7 in philly on MNF. caught 1 or 2 TDs, didn't he? 

He started 8 games in 2016 and was horrible near the end of the year because he was trying to play injured.  I think the Philly game was the one where he was whiffing blocks so bad he got frustrated and was thrown out of the game or got back to back personal fouls, I forget the specifics but he was iffy for most of the back half of the season.

Anyway, like I said that's fine just sit him if he's not healed but the rest of our players should play.

4 hours ago, oraphus said:

Looks like a damned if u do or don't situation for a HC. Play your valuable and proven guys, and they get hurt, well "oooops!" and don't play them, the fans get in a panic that week 1 will crumble in disaster from unpreparedness when it matters.  The fans are on the outside looking in, and don't see all the stuff they do all week/months long.. so they get antsy for proof of readiness. 

As a HC, I figure you have to trust your own instincts, and stand by em. If you feel the guys you are preserving are locked in and will be good to go week 1.. and especially if they are recovering from injury, then don't play em much or at all. 

I don't think it's that hard to figure out who to sit and who not to. If a player is currently injured or is Jordan Reed, you sit him. If he's not, you play him. Alex Smith needs reps and we have a mega****ton of RBs that need to be sorted out. That's not even considering our WRs who have little actual game time with their QB, or literally every position on defense.

There's no point in having a preseason if the starters aren't played so that the backups can be compared to them. We know coaches already have their starters written in stone if they're just going to sit them for the entire preseason. There's no actual competition. It's why we got stuck with the likes of Matt Jones being our starter over a clearly better Robert Kelley. There's no competition, and the coaches only adjust their lineup once it's halfway through the season.

Alex Smith has gotten reps with TW, CT, and Reed in 7 on 7 and 11 vs 11 in practice. They all practiced against the Jets too. I'm not sure why people are stating they never practiced together?

I don't see the rush in playing these particular players in preseason either. What for? So fans can confirm they are healthy? If they get hurt playing in this practice game all we are gonna see on this board is how injury prone they are and more finger pointing at the coach and training staff for injuries. 

I get people wanting them to have continuity early but the ones being held out are not known to be slow starters.  Also, with them being out we can see how Christian, Sprinkle, Quinn and others look while mixed in with the first team. 

29 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

Alex Smith has gotten reps with TW, CT, and Reed in 7 on 7 and 11 vs 11 in practice. They all practiced against the Jets too. I'm not sure why people are stating they never practiced together?

The idea was playing in the preseason -- I don't think anyone is saying never practiced together. 

The idea that the 7-7 and 11-11 in practice is just about apples to apples enough to any real live action in a preseason game -- maybe so -- but Swearinger is far from the only player who said there is a difference as to practicing versus teammates versus real competition where you can tackle and hit versus practice where you typically don't that much.    

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea was playing in the preseason -- I don't think anyone is saying never practiced together. 

If you go back a page or two people were saying they didn't have any snaps together (which is not true).  I do agree with DJ and any other fans about the benefits of playing another team in pre-season, but these 3 bodies in question we don't want taking a beating before week 1. As we know their health or lack of health will be a huge part of how this season ends and will impact if coaching positions will be open or not.

4 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

If you go back a page or two people were saying they didn't have any snaps together (which is not true).  I do agree with DJ and any other fans about the benefits of playing another team in pre-season, but these 3 bodies in question we don't want taking a beating before week 1. As we know their health or lack of health will be a huge part of how this season ends and will impact if coaching positions will be open or not.

OK, got you.  Yeah i am not into playing banged up players.  Healthy players I'd risk to help them find their groove for opening day.    Heck and am just talking game 3.  Heck some teams will even risk their starters in game 4, if I recall Brady's played before in game 4 (but not recently), R. Wilson, etc. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea that the 7-7 and 11-11 in practice is just about apples to apples enough to any real live action in a preseason game -- maybe so -- but Swearinger is far from the only player who said there is a difference as to practicing versus teammates versus real competition where you can tackle and hit versus practice where you typically don't that much.    

Maybe he was just speaking from his perspective of defensive players needing to get that contact and refined technique in hitting/tackling. 

What are guys like TW, CT, and JR.. even Alex Smith.. need to be absorbing hits for? I'm sure they remember what that feels like, and are prepared t handle it in games that matter? 

23 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Another draft pick gone

A shame he failed so bad. He had one good year here, I can't remember if it was 2014 or 15, but I was a believer.

Even so, at least he carved out a spot in New York, right? What was it, a nickel backer? :rofl89:  So long sucker.

5 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Normally, I’d agree with you regarding the new QB needing more live reps. I recall, too, that Gruden wanted to keep Alex Smith out against the Jets but I thought that was because Gruden wanted to rest Trent Williams and Morgan Moses another game and therefore wanted to keep Alex Smith out as a precaution. It’s my speculation that when Alex wanted to play some drives, that changed Gruden’s original plan of keeping TW and MM out but instead decided to play at least MM to help ensure Alex wouldnt get creamed by the Jets 1st string D. But TW did get the night off so I may be 50% wrong. And, Alex Smith did end up taking a pretty good shot so maybe I’m 50% right!

So for the upcoming Preseason game against Denver. 

Out:

Trent Williams

Jordan Reed

Byron Marshall

Samaje Perine

Doubtful:

Jamison Crowder

Questionable:

Chase Roullier

Maurice Harris

Cam Sims

Montae Nicholson

I hope Cam Sims plays.  Nicholson is already pissing me off a little. <_<

6 hours ago, oraphus said:

The running game is why I would play the offensive starters for at least a half. I’d love to see if AP can be the breakout RB we so desperately need. And also, Perine and Kelly and Bibbs need some looks, too. I’m not settled on who the starting RB will be much less the quality of the run game so I think the OL together with a committee of runners for a good half will help sort out who should be the featured back. I’d hope to see runs on 3rd and short and which back can show who’s the best in the red zone. 

8 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Out:

Trent Williams

Jordan Reed

Byron Marshall

Samaje Perine

Well, I guess with Perine out, AP might get the Lion’s share of snaps: hopefully with the starters. 

Archived