Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

Weren’t all these guys supposed to be ready for training camp? And yet, how many actually participated in camp?

They were supposed to be eased back in. But we haven’t heard from any of them.... which is why we’ve heard so much about unheralded rookies all camp.

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

Weren’t all these guys supposed to be ready for training camp? And yet, how many actually participated in camp?

They were supposed to be eased back in. But we haven’t heard from any of them.... which is why we’ve heard so much about unheralded rookies all camp.

Theyve been participants in camp.  Reed / Thompson / Williams have participated in almost all the drills, but they're not in 11 on 11s or games if i'm not mistaken.  There were reports of Williams going 1 on 1 with Leonard Williams during joint practices and he stood him up.  

23 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Theyve been participants in camp.  Reed / Thompson / Williams have participated in almost all the drills, but they're not in 11 on 11s or games if i'm not mistaken.  There were reports of Williams going 1 on 1 with Leonard Williams during joint practices and he stood him up.  

You're not mistaken. Coach is just being careful with them. They're vets. They know what they need to do when they hit the field, and they are doing all they can to make sure they can stay on the field when games matter. I'm good with this. 

47 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

AS @OVCChairman stated they have been full go at most practices. They are just not playing preseason. TC should be about rookies, UDFA and/or any other new players. Guys like Reed, TW etc do not need preseason games. They know what they are doing. With them coming off injury there is no reason to push them into games. Give them as much time as possible before the regular season starts. 

50 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

My guess is having six players go on IR already (if not more) changed how they proceeded with guys like Reed and Thompson...

52 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

They sit out a lot. Only participate in individuals... and miss 11-on-11’s and pre-season games.... and we’re thinking everything is going to be ok when the bullets are live?

I have a pretty good feeling about how this is going to play out.

6 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

They sit out a lot. Only participate in individuals... and miss 11-on-11’s and pre-season games.... and we’re thinking everything is going to be ok when the bullets are live?

Let us know how the weather is on the golf course. We'll keep you informed on the games. :P 

5 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

They're all recovering from previous injury though.  This is not something that's developed over this TC / preseason.  All 3 of those guys are VERY familiar with the offense, so the need for reps is less than someone like Alex Smith or Paul Richardson.  Of course I won't be comfortable til I see that they're a full go in game, and that they're clicking.  Yes there is a question about how they will be when the bullets are flying, but I'd also rather them be 100% before they step on the field.  CT has already said that he wont TECHNICALLY be 100% til November, so no point in rushing him out there during the preseason.  Gruden said if this was a Reg season game, they'd likely all be cleared to play, but none of them are fully recovered.  

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

Let us know how the weather is on the golf course. We'll keep you informed on the games. :P 

I know the Redskins. I know when to tune in to their season. Usually around week 11.... when it’s Do-or-Die. When there’s finally some urgency.... they tend to show up.

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Gruden said if this was a Reg season game, they'd likely all be cleared to play, but none of them are fully recovered.  

Im pretty certain they’re all fully-recovered.... this is more about easing the transition into a full workload. Minimizing contact. Which fine and rational.

But there’s also being overly cautious/conservative.

We see stories every year of playoff teams resting starters at the end of the year... giving them 1-2 extra weeks of rest. And that’s after a whole season. And then coming out rusty and slow.

And we think coming off an entire off-season and going through walk throughs for 1 month.... and everything is going to be ok?

Im not saying it’s not possible. I’m just saying it’s highly unlikely. And if I’m Gruden, I’d be all-in this year ?

4 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Im pretty certain they’re all fully-recovered.... this is more about easing the transition into a full workload. Minimizing contact. Which fine and rational.

But there’s also being overly cautious/conservative.

We see stories every year of playoff teams resting starters at the end of the year... giving them 1-2 extra weeks of rest. And that’s after a whole season. And then coming out rusty and slow.

And we think coming off an entire off-season and going through walk throughs for 1 month.... and everything is going to be ok?

Im not saying it’s not possible. I’m just saying it’s highly unlikely. And if I’m Gruden, I’d be all-in this year ?

I hear you... it is concerning that they get zero game time with Smith.  OTOH, Gruden said they are healthy, but are working into “game shape”, which I believe is a valid distinction.  Those three are difference makers, so throwing them into live action is a major concern in terms of (re)injury if they’re not quite ready.  

26 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I hear you... it is concerning that they get zero game time with Smith.  OTOH, Gruden said they are healthy, but are working into “game shape”, which I believe is a valid distinction.  Those three are difference makers, so throwing them into live action is a major concern in terms of (re)injury if they’re not quite ready.  

Gruden gets AP for 1 practice (missing all of camp).... then quickly cites to the media how explosive he is but he wants to throw him into a game for 7-8 carries 3 days later... because he wants to see how he responds to the banging(contact). Yet, somehow, the same logic doesn’t apply to the rest of the guys?!?

How do you get into game-shape... when you’re not in 11’s and pre-season? Those are the best practices for stimulating ‘games’! Not individual work and skeletons.

Gruden had better be right with this strategy. He’s a decent coach who has created a good culture.... the players like playing for him. And as a result, they’re a resilient bunch. And that’s acceptable to a point.... but results matter more. And Gruden has been a little short in that department.

7 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Gruden gets AP for 1 practice (missing all of camp).... then quickly cites to the media how explosive he is but he wants to throw him into a game for 7-8 carries 3 days later... because he wants to see how he responds to the banging(contact). Yet, somehow, the same logic doesn’t apply to the rest of the guys?!?

How do you get into game-shape... when you’re not in 11’s and pre-season? Those are the best practices for stimulating ‘games’! Not individual work and skeletons.

Gruden had better be right with this strategy. He’s a decent coach who has created a good culture.... the players like playing for him. And as a result, they’re a resilient bunch. And that’s acceptable to a point.... but results matter more. And Gruden has been a little short in that department.

Perhaps he feels like they have a bit more flexibility with that since they had those practices with the Jets which gives you physical reps and more reps against an opponent then you would get during the preseason.

16 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

My assumption is that he already knows firsthand how the rest of the guys respond to the contact when healthy. For Peterson, it's not about seeing how far along he is in his rehab and if his body can take it...it's just about seeing him play in person, period. He has to make a decision on Peterson in terms of keeping him or not, starting him or not, playing him or not, and those decisions trickle down in terms of what he does with other RBs. He doesn't have to make those types of decisions for Reed, Thompson and the other guys. 

I respect the posters saying certain guys don't need to play, those posters are not dummies and I appreciate what they bring to the board but come on, Reed hasn't really played since 2016 and that was also an injury-riddled season.

Tom Brady threw 28 passes last week, I watched the Jags play their starters an entire half while the Vikes played them into the 2nd Qtr, that's 3 of the 4 teams who made the conference championship games last year.

If Reed's not healthy yet then don't play him but get everyone else out there, we're a mediocre team and we need to start doing the opposite of what we have been doing the last 4 years because these slow starts are killing us.  We have to have a better start to this season, we're always playing catch-up and this lack of playing time in preseason can't be helping.

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

I can't even imagine the meltdown, if Sims continues to play well, and then gets cut.. then picked up on waivers by another. 

.. and then there's this place, oh my. :o

We had Thorpe and a few others the last few years that were good in camp and surprise cuts that nobody grabbed. 

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

I don't know folkes but it is borderline worrisome... I could see these players (Reed, Thompson, Crowder)starting Week 1 but then again out for the season or long periods of time by week 3...

Add Trent and there goes our offense again 

Yeah I am in the boat too of liking Jay and want him to continue to stay as head coach but I disagree with the light playing time in the preseason.  It almost feels like in some seasons the first regular season game is like their first go of seeing the whole team at full strength.  And then after that they find their groove. 

Alex is likely to head into the season with no reps with Jordan Reed, Thompson -- maybe even Crowder if memory serves.

Considering Arizona is arguably the easiest team they play earlier in the season -- I think another opener loss might be more demoralizing then some of the others.  Hopefully they are ready.   And hopefully Alex gets some serious reps tomorrow.

Edit:  I get not playing players who aren't healthy but I'd risk it with others specifically with Alex to he can get some reps with or without Trent in the lineup.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I am in the boat too of liking Jay and want him to continue to stay as head coach but I disagree with the light playing time in the preseason.  It almost feels like in some seasons the first regular season game is like their first go of fulling the whole team out at full strength.  And then after that they find their groove. 

Alex is likely to head into the season with no reps with Jordan Reed, Thompson -- maybe even Crowder if memory serves.

Considering Arizona is arguably the easiest team they play earlier in the season -- I think another opener loss might be more demoralizing then some of the others.  Hopefully they are ready.   And hopefully Alex gets some serious reps tomorrow.

Older vets like these, I'm just not convinced there's some big difference between connections made during practices between them and preseason connections made between them. 

If they are doing it all week in practices, and against their own team defense (which is good), I don't know how that isn't enough to be sharp. 

I also think ANY away game is a challenge, and AZ doesn't have a soft defense, so there really are no easy visits. 

9 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Older vets like these, I'm just not convinced there's some big difference between connections made during practices between them and preseason connections made between them. 

If they are doing it all week in practices, and against their own team defense (which is good), I don't know how that isn't enough to be sharp. 

I also think ANY away game is a challenge, and AZ doesn't have a soft defense, so there really are no easy visits. 

Tom Brady is a vet and threw the ball 26 times in the 2nd game of the season.  

I didn't say Arizona is an easy game I said among the early opponents they might be the easiest one -- If I need to get more specific they and Indy might be a toss up on that front.  But yeah I do think after those 2.  GB, NO, Carolina, Dallas > AZ.

9 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Tell that to DJ

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/08/23/redskins-get-serious-in-preparing-for-their-third-preseason-game-petersons-debut/?utm_term=.b72f50b8857b

...safety D.J. Swearinger wants all the playing time possible.

“You want to get used to dominating,” Swearinger said. “A chance to get used to dominating would be on Friday. If we can just lock in together as a whole, we can dominate.

“We need all the work we can get, all the work that Coach allows us to get. After this week, it’s live bullets when we go to [Arizona]. It’s always good to get that real field work. The real game experience so we can be ready September 9.”

I forgot to mention that there was some talk that Alex wouldn't get any reps in game #2 -- Grant Paulsen asked Craig Hoffman what changed and he said Alex told Jay he wanted to play.  I get the whole veteran drill that they don't need it the same way -- but heck like Swearinger said I guess there is something different about the live bullets versus simulated stuff in practice where the QB doesn't get hit. 

Alex i gather has no choice but to get his preseason reps without Crowder, Reed and Thompson (it is what it is as for injuries) -- but hopefully continues the chemistry with Davis, Doctson, Richardson. 

Archived