Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Trevor Noah had a great take on this: 

Soft ass Republicans eat up false grievance faster than any other demographic.  This **** always works on them.  They're the most sheltered people in the country and they are utterly convinced everyone is out to get them.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

Not surprised.  These supporters are not decent people and they can not be reasoned with, compromised with, or placated.  They just have to be beaten.  Garbage human beings like them can not be allowed to continue running this country.  It's a ****ing disaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not surprised.  These supporters are not decent people and they can not be reasoned with, compromised with, or placated.  They just have to be beaten.  Garbage human beings like them can not be allowed to continue running this country.  It's a ****ing disaster.

As you noted earlier, it's the persecution complex. They believe everyone is out to get them and hence any accusations against someone from their tribe, no matter HOW despicable and/or credible, can be immediately dismissed as "fake news" or some sort of big conspiracy hit job. 

And you're right...once people get into that poisoned mindset there's pretty much no logic, reasoned argument, or factual evidence that can sway them. In fact, IME it's the opposite...the more evidence you try to show, the more reasoned you try to be with them, the more angry they get and the more they dig in. It isn't worth the time anymore....they have to be beaten. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

As you noted earlier, it's the persecution complex. They believe everyone is out to get them and hence any accusations against someone from their tribe, no matter HOW despicable and/or credible, can be immediately dismissed as "fake news" or some sort of big conspiracy hit job. 

And you're right...once people get into that poisoned mindset there's pretty much no logic, reasoned argument, or factual evidence that can sway them. In fact, IME it's the opposite...the more evidence you try to show, the more reasoned you try to be with them, the more angry they get and the more they dig in. It isn't worth the time anymore....they have to be beaten. 

I keep remembering a poll that was run leading up to the SC primary, of Republican primary voters.  (Trump won the primary, and I don't think he lost another one after that.)  

When asked who they wish had won the civil war, the results among Trump voters were:  

North:  24%

South: 38%

Not sure 38%

(Among Republicans, as a whole, the results were 36/30/34)

Now, granted, "people who voted in the SC GOP primary" and "people who identify as GOP right now" are not the same demographic.  But I assert that they're not a completely horrible representation, either.

You're talking about people who wish the South had won, or who "aren't sure".  

Gonna take a long time for reality to have an effect on them.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

I keep remembering a poll that was run leading up to the SC primary, of Republican primary voters.  (Trump won the primary, and I don't think he lost another one after that.)  

When asked who they wish had won the civil war, the results among Trump voters were:  

North:  24%

South: 38%

Not sure 38%

(Among Republicans, as a whole, the results were 36/30/34)

Now, granted, "people who voted in the SC GOP primary" and "people who identify as GOP right now" are not the same demographic.  But I assert that they're not a completely horrible representation, either.

You're talking about people who wish the South had won, or who "aren't sure".  

Gonna take a long time for reality to have an effect on them.  

But I thought they were the party of Lincoln?!?!?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

amazed at number of people I meet in real life who believe it was a "political hit piece."

So am I.

I was at a small conference thing this Saturday and I overheard an older well-to-do lady, clearing saying it loud enough so others would hear, that she thought it was "despicable" what the Democrats had done to Kavanaugh. Her husband, to his credit, didnt respond probably knowing time and place.

Chinese restaurant last week in Columbia, MD, overheard a redneck looking guy say loud enough for all to hear that "they" were trying to take over our country and how the fog in China isnt fog but smog and they want to do the same thing here.

I drove to Hershey Park the other weekend and saw more trump bumper stickers in one day up there then I have all year down here ... but I expect that when I leave the DMV bubble. I know non-metro America is not as diverse or educated as we are .. but it still takes a mental adjustment.

There is a big portion of America that is not like us (DMV). Not bad people, just different. With different interests and view points. I need to remind myself of that. My thoughts and views dont parlay to everyone. I need to respect their life upbringing, views, opinions etc. knowing that two-way respect probably aint coming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I personally replace "stupid" with "different". I try to give respect and deference to every person

A lot of comments on here sound like comments made on Fox News .. just replace liberal with conservative.

I get the sentiment, but I'm all about nuance, so I rather take the time to examine difference and then determine if it's stupid or not, before deciding to accept it.

A lot of people are so eager to blindly accept all differences, when in my experience many of those differences are ****ty and should not be accepted or validated.

Anyways, the main point is we need to have an investigative process prior to choosing what we accept or reject. I'm not against difference, I'm against blindness when it comes to forming conclusions.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Chinese restaurant last week in Columbia, MD, overheard a redneck looking guy say loud enough for all to hear that "they" were trying to take over our country and how the fog in China isnt fog but smog and they want to do the same thing here.

Which is why the GOP so strongly supports stringent environmental and aq laws....

?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Soft ass Republicans eat up false grievance faster than any other demographic.  This **** always works on them.  They're the most sheltered people in the country and they are utterly convinced everyone is out to get them.

Try calling a Republican a snowflake when they whine about something not going their way.  It's hysterical.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1