Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

I prefer Lanier.

Lanier has a role but he is limited in run support and at some point he is going in a position where his weakness will be exploited and you cannot rule out another run of injuries and in which case Lanier is out there on a regular basis on first and second down which is not good ...

Brantley is inconsistent from all accounts but I have faith in Tomsula - and it was interesting that Brantley was here on a draft visit two years ago and we jumped on him when he came free .... what is interesting is they didn’t make an expected move which was to put Marshel on IR which would have freed up a roster spot ( I find it hard to think we are going to roll with 5 RBs) but moved on fromLanier who seemed to be a good pass rusher ... which kind of says he was much closer to the bubble than I thought he was ... and apparently he was dealing with injury but I think the injury is a red herring because we could have carried him if we wanted too ...

I still don’t think this roster is finished and there are more moves to come 

11 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Hell yes, he can. The rest is up to health and motivation of Brantley. Looks like a very impressive DL.   :) 

I agree that Brantley just has significantly more potential than Lanier...

the question is why Browns gave up on him so quickly... anyone know?

30 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

I agree that Brantley just has significantly more potential than Lanier...

the question is why Browns gave up on him so quickly... anyone know?

No idea. Might go read some random Browns forum and see if anyone's yapping about it.

Will report back, if my scouting report has substance. ? 

edit 1:

Talk so far is as such:

- shows flashes but is lazy; bipolar effort from play to play

- probably gets cut by week 3

edit 2:

- been reading the same stuff, inconsistent, lazy, disappointing

- seemingly poor TC assessments from fans who expected improvement

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

No idea. Might go read some random Browns forum and see if anyone's yapping about it.

Will report back, if my scouting report has substance. ? 

edit 1:

Talk so far is as such:

- shows flashes but is lazy; bipolar effort from play to play

- probably gets cut by week 3

edit 2:

- been reading the same stuff, inconsistent, lazy, disappointing

- seemingly poor TC assessments from fans who expected improvement

Yeah that is what I have read but for a guy with that much talent and ONLY 1 year into the league... there is much worse traits that the teams are willing to put with than lackadaisical effort...

i thought maybe there there was something else... although I hate to see Lanier go buy I think it’s worth the risk especially if we are talking about taking risk on the 5-6th guy on DL rotation...

2 hours ago, Alexa said:

Picking up Browns rejects is never a good thing. 

If he was on the offensive side of the ball or we had picked him up to replace one of our top 5 DL, I'd agree. Remember, the Browns actually had one of the better defenses last season. Our number 6 DL guy is not going to be active. Young guys in the last 7 roster spots are your true development guys.

If he can't light a fire under his ass with Tomsula coaching, Allen and Payne in front of him and Settle balling out every chance he gets (I'm loving that kid) then Brantley can go play for the Jets with Pryor. 

This is his chance, I am would hope to think he knows its more than most NFL players get. 

I am good with this move.  if Brantley has an inconsistent motor than he should be in a good situation because I gather he will be a rotational/spot duty guy.

Cooley isn't perfect as a judge of talent (no one is) but he's been pretty good as to judging the D line.  He's called out just about every FA D line bust in advance.  He was on the Ioannidis bandwagon from the get go.   I recall how blown away he was by Brantley's college tape that year.  Heck between that and Nick Saban of all people gushing (also someone who knows D line talent) and Tomsula -- I'll trust it.

Keim said today he heard Lanier was on the bubble of making the roster even before Brantley became available. 

8 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I saw an elite dline manjandle a game yesterday I’m hoping this front can do the same with back to back 1st round selections 

Talking about the Falcons/Eagles game? I don't think we are anywhere near as fast or football smart, but we shall see.

Archived