Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

12 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

When you look at the numbers they show that Arizona averaged 4.5 yards per rush which is pretty good and was also better than what we averaged (4.3).

They just couldn't move the chains to create more opportunities to run the ball.

A great example of how the stats can be deceiving. Situational football, and all. They gashed on some runs here and there.. mainly due to over-pursuit or hitting the wrong gap (yes, you Zach). Our situational was better than theirs, nana na nana. ? 

13 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

When you look at the numbers they show that Arizona averaged 4.5 yards per rush which is pretty good and was also better than what we averaged (4.3).

They just couldn't move the chains to create more opportunities to run the ball.

I think the YPC is exaggerated by some gashing runs from Edmonds on the final drive.  Johnson had 2 good runs early, then was completely suffocated.  He only carried the ball 9 times.  

16 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Majority of opinion seemed to center around him "not taking the next step of progression" in TC/preseason. That he had Jekyll and Hyde effort from play to play, and was a general disappointment compared to what he was capable of. 

Thanks - Hopefully, the release from the Browns and the strong defensive culture we are building on this team will combine to serve as a wake-up call for him.

14 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm gonna go @98ORAKPO98 For a second here and make a prediction. 

In years to come division rivals will say things like "remember that time the redskins got Payne, Settle and Brantley in the same off-season, when they already had Allen and Iaon?" and someone will go "yeah, that was bull****". 

And we'll laugh and laugh and laugh. 

Lets hope so!

I want to start seeing Settle making some plays coming off the bench. I think he can really contribute in collapsing the pocket. 

5 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

A great example of how the stats can be deceiving. Situational football, and all. They gashed on some runs here and there.. mainly due to over-pursuit or hitting the wrong gap (yes, you Zach). Our situational was better than theirs, nana na nana. ? 

Definitely but the main issue for them was they only ran the ball every 3.5 plays which has more to do with them not moving the chains through the air.

I know I'm nitpicking I just think its something we need to keep an eye on and I'm sure we will get better before we face a really potent offense.

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I think the YPC is exaggerated by some gashing runs from Edmonds on the final drive.  Johnson had 2 good runs early, then was completely suffocated.  He only carried the ball 9 times.  

Out of his 9 carries, he had runs of 10, 11, and 8 yards.

They never handed the ball to him again after the 4 minute mark of the 3rd period.

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Definitely but the main issue for them was they only ran the ball every 3.5 plays which has more to do with them not moving the chains through the air.

I know I'm nitpicking I just think its something we need to keep an eye on and I'm sure we will get better before we face a really potent offense.

Out of his 15 carries, he had runs of 10, 11, and 8 yards.

They never handed the ball to him again after the 4 minute mark of the 3rd period.

Johnson?  He had 9 carries.  

The TEAM had 15 carries

ari.png&h=100&w=100Arizona Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
David Johnson 9 37 4.1 1 11
Chase Edmonds 4 24 6.0 0 9
Sam Bradford 2 7 3.5 0 8
TEAM 15 68 4.5 1 11

Edmonds had a couple gashers in the 4th quarter when the game was already in hand and we were playing off-man

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Johnson?  He had 9 carries.  

The TEAM had 15 carries

ari.png&h=100&w=100Arizona Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
David Johnson 9 37 4.1 1 11
Chase Edmonds 4 24 6.0 0 9
Sam Bradford 2 7 3.5 0 8
TEAM 15 68 4.5 1 11

That's not really a good thing though, 3 big runs out of 9 attempts.

I would like to think we can continue to eat up TOP every game like that but I know it's not going to happen.

Bottom line is we didn't really stop the run, we just put them in a position where they could no longer call run plays and we ran 25 more plays than they did.

13 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

That's not really a good thing though, 3 big runs out of 9 attempts.

I would like to think we can continue to eat up TOP every game like that but I know it's not going to happen.

Bottom line is we didn't really stop the run, we just put them in a position where they could no longer call run plays and we ran 25 more plays than them.

Actually it's a very good thing... and Johnson did not have 3 big runs.. he had 2... if you consider 11 yards to be big runs.  Both came on the opening drive.  He had 9 carries for 37 yards... take away the 'long' of 11 and 10 and you're talking about 7 carries for 16 yards.... 

He's one of the best RBs in football in a lot of people's eyes.  He's generally going to get his, regardless of the defense he's playing against.  We did EVERYTHING a team could ever want to do against that team.  We contained him long enough to take the ball out of his hands.... 

2nd & 8 at ARI 10

(9:36 - 1st) D.Johnson up the middle to ARZ 20 for 10 yards (M.Nicholson).

2nd & 10 at ARI 20

(8:47 - 1st) J.Wetzel reported in as eligible. D.Johnson up the middle to ARZ 31 for 11 yards (D.Swearinger).

in the 2nd half he had an 8 yard carry as well... when we were up 21-0

2nd & 3 at ARI 22

(3:52 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Johnson up the middle to ARZ 30 for 8 yards (F.Moreau).

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

honest question...

where did you see that I made it seem their run game was working?

I was arguing the opposite.... 

Oh I didn't. I'm in total agreement with you. More of a chest bump :ols:

I have watched that video a bunch a times above. 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Actually it's a very good thing... and Johnson did not have 3 big runs.. he had 2... if you consider 11 yards to be big runs.  Both came on the opening drive.  He had 9 carries for 37 yards... take away the 'long' of 11 and 10 and you're talking about 7 carries for 16 yards.... 

He's one of the best RBs in football in a lot of people's eyes.  He's generally going to get his, regardless of the defense he's playing against.  We did EVERYTHING a team could ever want to do against that team.  We contained him long enough to take the ball out of his hands.... 

2nd & 8 at ARI 10

(9:36 - 1st) D.Johnson up the middle to ARZ 20 for 10 yards (M.Nicholson).

2nd & 10 at ARI 20

(8:47 - 1st) J.Wetzel reported in as eligible. D.Johnson up the middle to ARZ 31 for 11 yards (D.Swearinger).

in the 2nd half he had an 8 yard carry as well... when we were up 21-0

2nd & 3 at ARI 22

(3:52 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Johnson up the middle to ARZ 30 for 8 yards (F.Moreau).

Johnson had carries of 8, 10, and 11 yards and yes I do consider those to be chunk plays.

I hope the coaching staff is watching the tape and poking holes in our game the same way I am so they can use it to get better.

The Cardinals are garbage and Johnson didn't even play last year so you and the guy from Fantasy Island are basing everything on his play from 2 years ago, I've been watching this team for over 30 years so to me 1 game doesn't mean squat, if you believe the Cardinals game makes us an impenetrable force at the point of attack then fine, your entitled to that opinion but the jury is still out.

I'm excited about the possibilities but no way in hell I'm doing the fanboy thing and jumping on the "we're unstoppable" train just yet, been burned too many times.

But the future does look bright if we stay healthy and continue to improve.

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

Johnson had carries of 8, 10, and 11 yards and yes I do consider those to be chunk plays.

I hope the coaching staff is watching the tape and poking holes in our game the same way I am so they can use it to get better.

The Cardinals are garbage and Johnson didn't even play last year so you and the guy from Fantasy Island are basing everything on his play from 2 years ago, I've been watching this team for over 30 years so to me 1 game doesn't mean squat, if you believe the Cardinals game makes us an impenetrable force at the point of attack then fine, your entitled to that opinion but the jury is still out.

I'm excited about the possibilities but no way in hell I'm doing the fanboy thing and jumping on the "we're unstoppable" train just yet, been burned too many times.

But the future does look bright if we stay healthy and continue to improve.

I got ya bud... Just was pointing out that some of his chunk plays were more understandable with the situation we were in.   No I don't like the idea of giving up chunk yards, but when they happen matters... and 2 chunk runs happened when it actually mattered.  The rest of those yards came when the emphasis (and rightfully so) was altered away from the run game.  If they wanted to run the ball every play for 7 yards in the 4th quarter down by 21... let them do it.  That would burn 4-5 min off the clock by itself.  

19 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I got ya bud... Just was pointing out that some of his chunk plays were more understandable with the situation we were in.   No I don't like the idea of giving up chunk yards, but when they happen matters... and 2 chunk runs happened when it actually mattered.  The rest of those yards came when the emphasis (and rightfully so) was altered away from the run game.  If they wanted to run the ball every play for 7 yards in the 4th quarter down by 21... let them do it.  That would burn 4-5 min off the clock by itself.  

I promise you I love this team and want nothing more than a dominant line, the only reason I'm nitpicking is we saw the same thing against the Jets and Broncos starters in the preseason so its something to be aware of.

1 hour ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/09/11/nfl-power-rankings-week-1-redskins-chiefs-titans-49-ers/1252648002/

8. Redskins (12): Newbies Adrian Peterson, Alex Smith getting lots of pub. But don't sleep on ascendant defense that took jackhammer to Arizona's offense.

Gotta love them keeping Philly at #1 with basically the reasoning of "...just because..."

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Just consider that at least 2 of these happened in the first series, and they happened only because Brown got too excited and was taking himself out of the right gap. He settled in as the game flowed. It should be a great lesson to him to keep that speed under control inside, and stay disciplined. 

18 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I promise you I love this team and want nothing more than a dominant line, the only reason I'm nitpicking is we saw the same thing against the Jets and Broncos starters in the preseason so its something to be aware of.

Yeah, that concerned me.  Then to start the game off with 2 ‘big’ runs... I started to second guess the improvement to our run D.  

To be fair though, throwing out the ‘drive’ with the kneel down at the half, 3 straight drives the run D put the Cards behind the sticks (runs of 1, 0, and 2 yds), which lead (in part) to them not keeping the drives alive.  By the time they got their next decent run (4yds), we were up 21-0.  

Totally understandable though not to make any assumptions about our run D yet, and completely possible that if Bradford had converted some 1st downs, they’d have had more success running.  

Against a very good back, playing with 2 rookies and a 2nd year guy on the line, and considering that Brown (who didn’t play much in preseason) missed his assignment/gap on the 10 and 11 yarders... I have hope for this facet of our D.  

I finally watched the game on my DVR. There was more pressure than I would have thought. When he can pin his ears back, Jonathan Allen is a tremendous pass rusher. There were two separate times were he would up with both arms around Bradford on a 3 step drop. If Payne can also apply some pressure, we should be a very good pass rushing DL. 

Archived