Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

22 hours ago, Chachie said:

^^^^^^^

@LD0506

I love that photo because it touches on a slightly different topic for me. Liberals and the American flag.

I was on a Zoom meeting for work and my coworkers (most of whom lean liberal) could see an American flag hanging in my house. They started asking me why I had it. They all had a semi-sarcastic tone while asking. It reminded me of how democrats have willingly allowed republicans to monopolize the concept of being a "patriot." I love my country, I served my country. I'm more of a political centrist than my posting history would lead many on this site to believe but I basically consider myself a liberal. Why do I have to explain my flag??? It's a crying shame that liberals would assume I'm a republican (or worse, a Trumper) because I proudly display OUR colors. It's even more of a crying shame that this flag now only seems to represent one party and as this country's divide deepens, it is beginning to only represent the most extreme and ignorant section of that party.

End rant. 😖 

When I got out wearing my mask, I wear my "We The People" ball cap.  I get some looks. From both sides.  ****'em.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, Chachie said:

^^^^^^^

@LD0506

I love that photo because it touches on a slightly different topic for me. Liberals and the American flag.

I was on a Zoom meeting for work and my coworkers (most of whom lean liberal) could see an American flag hanging in my house. They started asking me why I had it. They all had a semi-sarcastic tone while asking. It reminded me of how democrats have willingly allowed republicans to monopolize the concept of being a "patriot." I love my country, I served my country. I'm more of a political centrist than my posting history would lead many on this site to believe but I basically consider myself a liberal. Why do I have to explain my flag??? It's a crying shame that liberals would assume I'm a republican (or worse, a Trumper) because I proudly display OUR colors. It's even more of a crying shame that this flag now only seems to represent one party and as this country's divide deepens, it is beginning to only represent the most extreme and ignorant section of that party.

End rant. 😖 

First-of-all, I thank you for expressing this idea with better clarity than I am capable. 

Secondly, to riff on this a bit, it drives me crazy when morons adopt various American flags and symbology to represent their idiocy. 

Like the Gadsden flag or the Crossland banner. Cool flags that have become standards with some extremely un-American stompers.

It ruins it for us flag fans out there. 

Edited by youngestson
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

It is sad how that happened. 

My flag pole fell years ago, I told my wife I was thinking of getting another flag pole and she fears people will think we're trump supporters. 

How do we change that narrative?

Fly the flag and don't be a jerk.

We have to change the narrative somehow, and America is as much, if not more our country as much as it is the Trumpers. 

We (by "we" I mean not bat&%&^ crazy) need a slogan or bumper sticker/T-shirt like "Don't Hump My Flag" 

Edited by youngestson
  • Like 2

I have a "Dont Tread on Me" license plate for my Jeep, I don't care, I'm not going to let every symbol that matters to us get hijacked by this MAGA bs. 

Remember when we had to rethink the OK hand-sign, I'm not rethinking ****, that's not them taking over symbols that's us giving it to them if we do.

The swastika was around before the Nazis.

• Like 2

^^^^

I work in a rural county. Every day on my way to work (when I drove to work and not walked to a computer) I'd pass about half a dozen houses flying what they think s a Confederate flag. Well, one house had an actual Confederate States flag and not the battle flag... what I'm getting at is that there are a lot of Confederate fan-boys. 

Over the last three-four years, the standard has become Confederate flag at the top with a Trump MAGA flag below. That's the loyalty scale with some people. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I wish I could see more American flags around here. Unfortunately they get drowned out by "Blue Lives Matter" and a smattering of Confederate flags.

Good.  Then you can let them label themselves tat way, and you can be the American.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techboy said:

This is true, but I still wouldn't recommend putting one on your Jeep.

Lolz, agreed. 

My point is not let something like the American flag get to that point, that we forget what it did stand for because of what it became. 

That has to be ceeded, we shouldn't collectively allow that to happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Remember when we had to rethink the OK hand-sign, I'm not rethinking ****, that's not them taking over symbols that's us giving it to them if we do.

I agree with everything all of you are saying

but

this part here is harder to do when you’re all the sudden accused of using a symbol “well known” to be associated with something like racism 

I remember when that story broke. I’d never heard of such a thing and was convinced most complaining about it were off their rockers 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, redskinss said:

It is sad how that happened. 

My flag pole fell years ago, I told my wife I was thinking of getting another flag pole and she fears people will think we're trump supporters. 

How do we change that narrative?

Great question. We may have lost too much ground already and it may even be the fault of our democrat govt leaders but...

Take OUR flag to social media. Take it back by displaying it when promoting democratic values (or independent values.) Fly OUR flag at home. It may not even matter if you combine it with liberal talking points. Just fly it! If someone approaches you thinking you're a conservative, you tell them NO. I'm an american who thinks our president is a criminal. 

If you attend protests, bring the flag with you. Make sure people know you have values of compassion, civil rights, and PEACE and include the colors of OUR country. The time has come to make it known that WE'RE THE ACTUAL CONSTITUTIONAL AMERICANS. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1