Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the sentiment and I agree in theory.  Of course you don't give up.  So I endorse all that you say.

However, speaking for myself, I thought the running game was the achilles heel by far before the draft.  The idea that the Giants the other team in the East with a bad running game were headed to landing Barkley added to me some angst.

The idea of going to battle with same group of running backs who were 30th in the league, 3.6 yard per carry, against teams with Elliot, Barkley, and the Eagles rotation made me cringe.  Then they draft Guice, and all was good. :)

Now back to the some RB crew who were 30th in the league :mellow:  tough for me to shrug it off especially with the Giants being the other team in our division last year with a mediocre RB game -- upgraded with who most draft geeks think is the next Walter Payton.  Tough to feel good about this today.  but like I said the feeling is new and raw so a lot of us might chill a little more tomorrow after the shock wears off. :)

This is all your fault Skinsinparadise. :)

Apparently he hyperextended his knee at LSU and it was never treated can anyone confirm this?? If so I give the scout team a big fat F it seems to be we are picking injury prone players because they may have the opportunity to be superstars but u can’t be great if u don’t see the field...

16 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Terry Allen would tell you differently..Not to mention CT. Its only a matter of time before Payne goes down..

I remember Adrian Peterson leading the league in rushing after he tore his.  Fans on here are ridiculous 

5 minutes ago, hogdirty said:

I remember Adrian Peterson leading the league in rushing after he tore his.  Fans on here are ridiculous 

Yeah I am not on board with he's not going to be the same.  Heck we are rely on Paul Richardson being this speedy deep threat -- that dude had TWO ACL tears.

The only upside of it happening is it happened early, plenty of time to heel for next season.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I am not on board with he's not going to be the same.  Heck we are rely on Paul Richardson being this speedy deep threat -- that dude had TWO ACL tears.

The only upside of it happening is it happened early, plenty of time to heel for next season.

Yep, I'm on board with this train of thought. Not sure whether it's through genuine belief or clinging to the only straw of hope I have for the Skins right now though. :rofl89:

It's not a guaranteed career defining/ending injury, but it could be. Seen plenty of soccer players do their knee and never be the same again, however that's a different sport and more importantly, I really want Guice to come back swinging. Not just for the Skins, but for him too. He's a good dude who has had to deal with adversity his whole damn life, kid just can't catch a break.

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This is all your fault Skinsinparadise. :)

Yep, I was too hyped.  :)  Too good to be true.  I booked flight-tickets to see the Arizona game mainly to see his debut.   I was a bit jazzed to see Alex Smith in the context of his interaction with Guice.    But Alex and Kelley?  I wish I were jazzed about that but i am not.  Maybe as the game approaches, I'll start getting over it.  I am not one of these over the moon guys about Alex Smith -- i like him but I am not really jazzed about him in a big way.  Guice I was.  Oh well.    

You know how excited I was on that simple 5 yard run up the middle on 1st down last night, there was no room but Guice wiggled up in there feeling his way to 5 yards and gave us a 2nd and short, that's what we needed and nobody else on this team can do it.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

22 minutes ago, hogdirty said:

At the same time, guys like Ki-Jana Carter and TD were never the same after they tore theirs..

35 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Apparently he hyperextended his knee at LSU and it was never treated can anyone confirm this?? If so I give the scout team a big fat F it seems to be we are picking injury prone players because they may have the opportunity to be superstars but u can’t be great if u don’t see the field...

And people thought he fell in the draft because of his attitude? 

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Tbh, this hurts me more than if we had lost Smith for the season. 

On the bright side, if Smith miraculously makes the playoffs this year, people can’t point to Kirk not having a running game anymore. 

I agree.  Just said the same to my wife.  I'd deal with an injury easier to Alex than I would to Guice.

But I agree now it makes things more apples to apples as to Kirk and Alex as for how Alex fares.    

To the people who know I am not fond of Bruce from other debates, I gather some (not you) of them think my take on Alex is driven by the fact that Bruce acquired him so I don't want to see him vindicated.  But the reality is -- that's not the case not even a little.   Heck even when Vinny made moves (another guy I wanted out badly) I rooted for every move to work out.   

My take on Alex is he brings a nice complement to a team built with a good running game -- the component of Guice for example in RO and RPO with a dynamic Alex running things I think would have worked well.  But Alex Smith with just a guy at RB (I got a little more hope with Perine than Kelley, though -- I typically give rookies another year before I put in a verdict) to me that's yawn.  And I think that combination adds to be a downgrade from Kirk.  But Alex with a dynamic RB would be fun.   

I am headed to the opener with my enthusiasm pretty zapped. I got very little enthusiasm about Alex without a back.  That's not because I don't think Alex is a good QB -- he's good.  It's because I never saw Alex as a guy who will strap a team on his back without a running game.   And, I genuinely hope he surprises me.  

3 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

How is an injury with someone who has been at the facility for a month a reflection on training staff?

Gosh, you're right.

If only there was a pattern or something...  like, if our top picks ALL have been injured and all but Payne missed all or more than half of their entire rookie season for the last 3 years running. Or like if we had more games lost to injury than any other team last year and routinely see double digits of players missing more than half the season on IR, which they have also done the last three years running.

but yeah, probably just an outlier. There's likely no reason at all behind the fact the injury bug gets his mail delivered to Redskins Park. 

~Bang

57 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

At the same time, guys like Ki-Jana Carter and TD were never the same after they tore theirs..

Surgery is a lot better now. The same thought went through my head, but they are a LOT more advanced than then.

~Bang

3 minutes ago, Bang said:

Surgery is a lot better now. The same thought went through my head, but they are a LOT more advanced than then.

~Bang

And I've placed some faith in that also.  We're now more medically advanced.  It's more likely that things turn out well.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

You know how excited I was on that simple 5 yard run up the middle on 1st down last night, there was no room but Guice wiggled up in there feeling his way to 5 yards and gave us a 2nd and short, that's what we needed and nobody else on this team can do it.

Yeah and that's my issue with our "power" backs.  Perine and Kelley are big guys -- not fast (4.65) but they don't really plow through like for example Brandon Jacobs did. So even we are talking pure power -- am not in love with either guy in the context, either.  Guice just hammered his way to three yards with nothing there.  If it were Perine or Kelley IMO they would have likely been stopped in their tracks. 

As enthusiastic as I was about Guice, I am equally unenthusiastic about who we are left with.  Cooley got my attention on this initially with his film study saying the problem with our running game last year was two fold.  1. RBs with poor vision and burst.  2.  TE blocking.    Then I started slowing down some of the runs and watching them on coaches tape this off season and you can see what he was talking about.  I posted some of those clips on this thread.  Saying Guice should fix this. :mellow:

Will this save Bruce's job as some say because it gives the season a built in disclaimer?  I doubt it.  I don't think you can keep saying wait until we get healthy lets see what happens next year.  Does it cost Jay his job?  I suspect maybe.  And I am a big Jay guy but I got some disagreements with him -- one of them is Robert Kelley.  Heck I just heard Czaben ask Tandler in a sarcastic way about why does Jay love Kelley so much?  I had to take a call and missed his answer.  Heck Paulsen and Rouhier run a bit where they play Jay's segment from last year when he said he loves Robert Kelley.    If Robert Kelley is the starter and it doesn't go well -- i don't think that bodes well for Jay.

Funny my new poor man's man crush is on Bibbs.  I don't think he's killer good.  But you can see how he has some wiggle in open space that IMO Kelley doesn't have.   The idea that Bibbs can't make the team seems a bit off to me.    But who knows?   One of the guys on the Redskins postgame last night said Bibbs is one of the 4 best RBs on this team, if I recall he had Kelley as the odd man out.  I agree.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This certainly puts a damper on the season. Not sure how we're gunna run the ball effectively.

They might not.

They might have to count on Alex Smith to do what Cousins did the last couple of years and throw for 4000 yards to move this offense.

I don't have a lot of faith in Kelly or Perine.

Surely we bring an RB into camp for a tryout? The one positive is how early in the process this has happened.

As much as I love Alfred Morris he adds nothing that a Perine/Kelley can't bring in 2018. 

Would be kinda tempted to take a look at Jamaal Charles. He's got that connection with Smith already. Nothing to lose having a look.

Archived