Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be Starting RB in 2018??? (Public Poll)

Renegade7

Who' should be Starting RB in 2018???  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Starting RB in 2018???

• Trade for Le'Veon Bell
    • Draft RB in 1st Round
    • Draft RB in 2nd-7th Round
    • Sign Veteran FA
    • Sign UDFA
    • Trade for Veteran RB (Not Le'Veon Bell)
    • He's already on the Roster
    • IDK, but I know he's not on the Roster

Just now, OlufemiBiz said:

*"(In my 'Bernie Mac' voice) 'WAYMENT': WHY 'da Brutha' GOTTA BE a 'HOOD' Backup?!?" ????????

Yeah, I saw that when it alerted me to your like.

My phone likes to auto-correct words that don’t need it and doesn’t with words that need it.

4 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Yeah, I saw that when it alerted me to your like.

My phone likes to auto-correct words that don’t need it and doesn’t with words that need it.

*I know, Bruh. 'Auto-(IN)Correct' is more of a HINDRANCE, than a HELP - much of the time. ????✊???

• 3 months later...

Okay, I swear I'm not bumping this thread to say I told you so.  I'm bumping this thread because the idea that made the most sense and I supported is out for the season, and I literally do not want to make this poll again.  Right move, didn't work.

So, know that its August and our RBs are dropping like flies, we have to re-evaluate what we're going to do and some of our answers may change.  I believe this conversation needs to be revisited, so lets try this again.

So for me, I'm going to keep my eye on Bell, but not for this season.  This season, I now like the idea of trading for a veteran, specifically Tevin Coleman. I haven't heard too much about him being on the market, but more seen he can hold his own with or without Freeman and Falcons probably aren't going to give him starter money given they've already paid Freeman.  This is a ripe opportunity, I'd be fine with as high as a second, same we just did for Guice.

I love Guice, but given he was recovering from that same knee he just re-injured, I believe we made a mistake.  Even if he stays here, I can't trust him as the workhorse, no way, RBs are a notorious injury risk, so a notorious injury risk at a notorious injury risk position despite my best wishes don't look good, no other way around it.

Here are some other running backs that look to still be free agents, which would be the easiest course of action:

Adrian Peterson - for me, obvious choice if we go this route, may not be who he was but best left waiting for a job

Mike Tolbert - I remember him running us over with the Panthers.  We need a powerback, he's a powerback

Jamaal Charles - I'm only throwing this out there because he is available, but he reminds me of CT, not what we need but available

Eddie Lacey - This one I'm having trouble confirming he's actually not coming back to the Seahawks (rotoworld said Seattle said no).  he's the youngest of the 4

What say ye?  I want to trade for Tevin Coleman, but open to suggestions.  I think its too late in the season to trade for Bell, but if he's a FA this offseason, we need to give him a call (different convo, I'll start that thread another day if the opportunity opens itself)

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Here are some other running backs that look to still be free agents, which would be the easiest course of action:

Adrian Peterson - for me, obvious choice if we go this route, may not be who he was but best left waiting for a job

Mike Tolbert - I remember him running us over with the Panthers.  We need a powerback, he's a powerback

Jamaal Charles - I'm only throwing this out there because he is available, but he reminds me of CT, not what we need but available

Eddie Lacey - This one I'm having trouble confirming he's actually not coming back to the Seahawks (rotoworld said Seattle said no).  he's the youngest of the 4

What say ye?  I want to trade for Tevin Coleman, but open to suggestions.  I think its too late in the season to trade for Bell, but if he's a FA this offseason, we need to give him a call (different convo, I'll start that thread another day if the opportunity opens itself)

First, I don't think we made the wrong choice with Guice, and I think he'll be fine.

Second, I'm not really looking to trade, mostly because I'm looking for a RB for 1 year only.

Ok, to the FA's available. Tolbert is more of a FB and is 32, I pass on him. Peterson and Charles are over 30, have ACL's , and have been going downhill. Pass on those. Lacy, I might bring in to see what kind of shape he's in.

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

First, I don't think we made the wrong choice with Guice, and I think he'll be fine.

Second, I'm not really looking to trade, mostly because I'm looking for a RB for 1 year only.

Ok, to the FA's available. Tolbert is more of a FB and is 32, I pass on him. Peterson and Charles are over 30 and hve ACL's have been going downhill. Pass on those. Lacy, I might bring in to see what kind of shape he's in.

Fair in regards to your assessments on FA option, just concerned Lacy doesn't give a ****, why GB and SEA both done with him. 

But I mean we really need to be real about what just happened with Guice.  I love the guy, but he was recovering from injuring that knee and injured it again.  Taking off my fan glasses, outside looking in, I would NOT bank my future on him at all.  Why I think we should seriously consider Tevin or wait for Bell. 

Remember, scouting report said to ignore Guice's stats last year because he was recovering and better the year before, how should we expect any different next year?  Wishful thinking?  That's fandom in a nutshell, but we are wrong all the time on hoping for the best versus the actually probability.  If he was on somebody else's team, we'd be calling him done.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Fair in regards to your assessments on FA option, just concerned Lacy doesn't give a ****, why GB and SEA both done with him. 

But I mean we really need to be real about what just happened with Guice.  I love the guy, but he was recovering from injuring that knee and injured it again.  Taking off my fan glasses, outside looking in, I would NOT bank my future on him at all.  Why I think we should seriously consider Tevin or wait for Bell. 

Remember, scouting report said to ignore Guice's stats last year because he was recovering and better the year before, how should we expect any different next year?  Wishful thinking?  That's fandom in a nutshell, but we are wrong all the time on hoping for the best versus the actually probability.  If he was on somebody else's team, we'd be calling him done.

Which is why I said I might bring Lacy in to see what kind of shape he is in. We are on the same page here.

Oh, and  I get it. I understand why you're thinking about making the trade. I just think Guice will be ok.  And I don't think we'd be calling him "done". Nobody is calling Dalvin Cook "done", and he had the same thing happen last year. Generally, having a ACL when you're young is not the dagger in the career it used to be, even for a running back. I think Guice will be fine. The science behind that surgery is so much better now. In fact, if it's true that his injury is due to not getting anything done to his knee last year, and they clean everything up now, it might be in better shape than it was before. Call it a "feeling", but I'm not worried about Guice coming back.

That said, if I thought he wasn't going to be back 100% I'd be thinking the same way you are. And to be blunt there really isn't a RB left in FA that is worth anything. I'd be looking hard at the final cuts for one.

@Mournblade I feel you, man, I'm not encouraged scrapping the barrel right now at all. 

Difference between Cook and Guice, and can't emphasize this enough, is Cook didn't injury that same knee in college and have to write a season off as recovery mode, Guice did.  The Griffin thing jus has me shook in regards to someone having knee issues in college already, I'm not going to root against him, I have a Guice jersey.

A lot of people been following this team longer then I have, but I'm officially at that understanding that just because I want something to happen doesn't mean it will.  At minimum, I think it would be a mistake to walk into next season planning him as the workhorse. If nothing else, we should another RB in 2nd rounder next year, too, to go full RBBC.

Our training staff is so horrible, there's no doubt in my mind they didn't check his knee before giving Gruden or anyone else the expectation that that was realistic.

No matter what any of us believes or wants, if we can't run the ball this year for whatever reason, we are screwed.  Teams we'll be fighting for wild cards with will be teams like Atlanta, New Orleans, and Green Bay, we can't beat those teams without a run game, and we play two of them this year on the road and one in week 3.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Mournblade I feel you, man, I'm not encouraged scrapping the barrel right now at all. 

Difference between Cook and Guice, and can't emphasize this enough, is Cook didn't injury that same knee in college and have to write a season off as recovery mode, Guice did.  The Griffin thing jus has me shook in regards to someone having knee issues in college already, I'm not going to root against him, I have a Guice jersey.

A lot of people been following this team longer then I have, but I'm officially at that understanding that just because I want something to happen doesn't mean it will.  At minimum, I think it would be a mistake to walk into next season planning him as the workhorse. If nothing else, we should another RB in 2nd rounder next year, too, to go full RBBC.

Our training staff is so horrible, there's no doubt in my mind they didn't check his knee before giving Gruden or anyone else the expectation that that was realistic.

No matter what any of us believes or wants, if we can't run the ball this year for whatever reason, we are screwed.  Teams we'll be fighting for wild cards with will be teams like Atlanta, New Orleans, and Green Bay, we can't beat those teams without a run game, and we play two of them this year on the road and one in week 3.

Ok, I'm a bit conrfused, maybe it's the wording. Dalvin Cook missed a year. Guice will miss a year. The only difference is that Guice had what was reported as a hyperextention his last year at LSU, and he played through it. Played in 12 games, so, I'm not sure what the big difference is, unless it's the injury that didn't keep him out of anything in 2017. And if that's the case, you have to blame the LSU staff then, for not diagnosing it correctly, or something. Like I said I'm not sure what you are trying to say in the bolded part.

Anyways, like I said, I think Guice will be ok. Kid is a very hard worker, we have Dr. Andrews doing the surgery, and he's one of the best. I think he will be 100% next year, so I'm looking at a 1 year rental, not a replacement for Guice. I could be wrong, he might end up like Willis McGahee. But I don't think it will. But that's just my instinct on this.

As for the staff, I don't think they gave Gruden anything, there was no report to my knowledge on what happened until the next day. Just Guice saying he was ok, and we thought that if he said he was "ok" that he was.

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Are you trolling? Guice has almost an entire year to recover from a clean ACL tear. He’ll be back to normal. It’s honestly disgusting that you would even mention replacing him with Coleman or Bell for a ridiculous price.

I think the Guice pick was fantastic, probably my fav draft pick this team has made.   Just bad luck he got hurt.  It's his first ACL tear.  He's young, it happened real early, he should be back

From what I've read the Falcons aren't trading Coleman.  In retrospect, they should have done with some other teams did this year, double down on FA and the draft.  We didn't.  So to me the main mistake is not adding to our depth because IMO the drop off from Guice to next man up is huge.

Kelley IMO isn't the guy. I am open about the other three guys but have doubts they are going to be anything special.  And I agree with our loaded schedule -- we are going to struggle to compete with teams that have BOTH better passing weapons and a better running game.  Atlanta, NO, etc. 

AD for one year makes the most sense. He is old but still he is more of a threat than fat Rob. The only negative on him for a one year deal is that he stinks as a receiving back. Maybe he can feed off his teammate Trent. 

AD for one year makes the most sense. He is old but still he is more of a threat than fat Rob. The only negative on him for a one year deal is that he stinks as a receiving back. Maybe he can feed off his former teammate Trent. 

I'm sorry but I'm not ready to look for Guice's replacement yet.  For all we know, you're right, he may be done... but in that same breath, he may be fine.  We would have to give up quite a bit to get Bell or Coleman, and if we were to do that AND Guice was capable of coming back and being a starter, then we have a bigger problem on our hands.   We'd also have to give Bell or Coleman a big time contract extension, when we have 2 very big years of FA looming.... To lock up $10 mil to an RB because you're worried that our 2nd round rookie isn't going to recover from knee surgery would be irresponsible.  You'd be telling Guice you're done with him, and you can't even trade him til after year 3 if i'm not mistaken.... 

Guice is our guy.  We picked him in the 2nd round, we need to invest in his recovery and get him back healthy.... We have adequate depth at the position to help carry us over for this season.  If you want to bring in a FA and kick the tires... see if they impress.. go for it, but trading would be a BIG mistake imho.  

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The concept that Guice could be done seems crazy to me. Maybe if like Galette he suffers the same injury 2 camps in a row. 

Most young RBs come back from torn ACLs fine. It’s only an issue of you’re up there in age or something was broken along with it and there was nerve damage.

8 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Ok, I'm a bit conrfused, maybe it's the wording.

So this was the stuff I was reading when we drafted him: 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/derrius-guice?id=32462018-0002-5601-017c-b2cb76f248b4

Sources Tell Us

"Don't waste your time on 2017 film because he wasn't even back up to his top speed until the bowl game. He will be the same player he was in 2016. If you had a grade on him after last year, you should use that." -- LSU assistant coach

Like you and others have mentioned, playing the whole year on that grade 1 knee sprain probably was the ticking time bomb that went off with the ACL.  To me, that's two years in a row dealing with knee injuries.  Yes, I hope I'm wrong, I'm jus not optimistic at all, and a big part that is what I said and my total lack of faith in our training staff.

2 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Are you trolling? Guice has almost an entire year to recover from a clean ACL tear. He’ll be back to normal. It’s honestly disgusting that you would even mention replacing him with Coleman or Bell for a ridiculous price.

Disgusting?  We've had rhis discussion before, we're walking into a gun fight with a knife concerning our run game versus the other NFC powers.  If you can't resolve that cheaply, which we seem to be failing at miserably, we gotta pay for it.  Either way, needs be resolved.  I know it's $$$, but it's has to be resolved, otherwise were gonna stay outside looking in with a qb in his mid-30s

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The concept that Guice could be done seems crazy to me. Maybe if like Galette he suffers the same injury 2 camps in a row. 

Ditto.  Seems like a similar situation to Todd Gurley's ACL injury to me, except Guice will be getting professional, round-the-clock treatment for his ACL tear.  Do people think Gurley is done?

I applaud the zeal for an improved roster, but I'm hesitant to make a bold move. I guess if the cost of a trade is less than whopping, it's worth consideration, but Chris Thompson is still here, right? I feel Guice will be perfectly fine next season as the main back. I wouldn't want us to trade for a long-contracted RB that's expensive. What kind of contract would Darkwa agree to sign, and why is there no interest on him so far? 

A short term RB that won't cost much in cap or trade. Someone better than what we have. I don't know. Looks bleak. 

1 hour ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

AD for one year makes the most sense. He is old but still he is more of a threat than fat Rob. The only negative on him for a one year deal is that he stinks as a receiving back. Maybe he can feed off his teammate Trent. 

AD for one year makes the most sense. He is old but still he is more of a threat than fat Rob. The only negative on him for a one year deal is that he stinks as a receiving back. Maybe he can feed off his former teammate Trent. 

I'm for bringing in every able-bodied RB out there for a look until one shakes out.  Just to get through the season.  It's gonna be RB by committee regardless.

Players recover 100% from ACL tears within 9 months now, so Guice should be good to go by OTAs next year. That being said, I don't want to rush him back like I feel like we always do. Assuming that we treat this correctly, he'll be all set by next training camp next season... but this season will likely be another year of less-than-stellar run production.

Samaje played looked good vs the Pats and had the nice run last night before the injury. Assuming he's dealing with a minor ankle sprain, maybe he took some notes this offseason, upgraded his stickum, and can take over the lead back role? After what he showed last year this is a stretch, I know, but cheers to off-season optimism. That being said, I'd be A-OK with bringing in a vet like AP for a year.

No need to bring in whats left out there. Perhaps there may be a surprise cut when others cut to 53, but until then we really need to see what we have in Perine, Kelly, Marshall and Bibbs. One of those four should step up. My money is on Perine ATM.  When Guice returns next year, hopefully we'll have a nice 1-2 punch sharing the load sprinkled in with some CT on 3rd downs. Not until we see our intact starting O-line and some much improved WR blocking on the ends will we truly know what we have.

39 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ditto.  Seems like a similar situation to Todd Gurley's ACL injury to me, except Guice will be getting professional, round-the-clock treatment for his ACL tear.  Do people think Gurley is done?

Professional like Orakpo did?  He hasn't missed a game since he went to the titans. Gurley is not a fair example because he only dealt with one knee injury for one season and before he got to the NFL, not two years in a row one in college and one in NFL like Guice.

This is two years in a row now so will yall please stop giving one off examples like this came out of nowhere, it didnt.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's not all about Guice being done but do you feel comfortable going into next season with our only good RB being a 2nd year guy who has never played a down in the NFL and tore his ACL in training camp, its just not proper roster management, if your 1 player away from disaster at the skilled positions that's a problem. 

Look at the good teams around the league, they all have 2 quality RB's.  Everything looked good with our starting O last night except the running game, both WR's caught a pass, Rob caught a pass and we got a ball to our TE, a very efficient drive.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Archived