Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be Starting RB in 2018??? (Public Poll)

Renegade7

Who' should be Starting RB in 2018???  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Starting RB in 2018???

• Trade for Le'Veon Bell
    • Draft RB in 1st Round
    • Draft RB in 2nd-7th Round
    • Sign Veteran FA
    • Sign UDFA
    • Trade for Veteran RB (Not Le'Veon Bell)
    • He's already on the Roster
    • IDK, but I know he's not on the Roster

12 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

With respect boys, He runs behind the best O line in the league and I do not see him knocking anyone over. Has holes big enough to drive a truck through. I do not see him coming here to make less money. Thought we had enough with high priced free agents. Get Guice and a LG. By the way, Guice is also a good receiver. You can throw to him on 1st down when the box is stacked. 

That's not the best o-line in the league, PFF doesn't even have them in the top 10, even went so far to say they underachieved.  I'm trying to find his stats on this for 2017, but he lead the NFL in 2016 in positive yardage after initial contact in short yardage plays.  This man is best running back in the NFL, stop selling him short.

And don't call me "boy" : )

No RB including Bell is worth 17 a year when the next highest paid guy is getting 8. To me Bell is a strong definite NO because of the cost to acquire and how badly he would screw up our cap. No way in hell i would give up draft picks and that much for a Rb. That’s Vinny level insanity. 

Now what I would do is sign Demarco Murray to a modest 4 million dollar deal two year deal. Why DM? Because one he was cut and cost no draft picks. Two because he has done very well as a committee RB. We are looking at a committee here after signing Chris Thompson. Even if they got Barkley in the draft no RB is going to get 20+ carries a game here. It’s this reason I’m against using the first on a RB. Three in case of injuries has expirence being a volume RB and can carry a full load. Also he’s been a top ten RB in the league every other year for years. This is a year for him to repeat that. Four he can do it all, pass block rush and catch. Five he’s cheap

I know hes like the most unpopular player to your average fans but he’s been very good and still has plenty in the tank. With that said if I thought this was an option it would have been done already. I suspect that they draft a RB in round two this year just saying what I would do

59 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I know hes like the most unpopular player to your average fans but he’s been very good and still has plenty in the tank. With that said if I thought this was an option it would have been done already. I suspect that they draft a RB in round two this year just saying what I would do

That's a fair case, my only problem is your statement "plenty left in the tank" and he's 30.  That's like an unofficial wall for RBs, so averaging 3.6 ypc last year, I can't convince myself to believe he'll be much better then that (Low 4s maybe)?  Him being a cowboy doesn't phase me, I've already gone on record saying we should take a flyer on Dez with a contract we can easily get out of (same as you're suggesting for Murray).

$17 million is just such an asinine number for a RB that I don't think he's going to get it (unless Steelers do something insane and trade him to the Browns, then they'd have to see him twice a year).  That's why I'm holding out hope for that, I'd hate to give him $14 million like his tag, but he's so good Jay would be insane not to put more of a focus on him.  I look at how he started to use CT last year, our offense didn't used to look like that, CT went off and basically became the offense, it would've been stupid for us to ignore that.

50 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Samaje. Perine.

Draft competition, but Perine should, and WILL win the starting role.

Seriously, what's Perine's ceiling in your opinion?

I think they should give Samaje a chance to start. If he is still fumbling and running into blockers then bench half season like they did with Matt Jones a few seasons ago. Of course if the rookie is clearly better during the offseason then he should start.

11 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

CJ Anderson

Fugg no, he sucks. Followed him We don't just need any random RB. We need a IMPACT players that DCs fear and have to game plan for. We a Gurley, Elliot, Hunt, Kamara caliber player. Tired of always having these lukewarm ass RBs.

Hoping we sign Sony Michel more so then Guice, but I'll take him too...

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, looked more into it, looks money dominated, they paid a lot to keep him from leaving by matching dolphins offer, I don't think they ever wanted to give him that.  His career production is extremely suspect, but he'd be the starter for sure.

Then trade back, takes Jones who could slide in the draft, he spells CT25. Let Anderson do all the hard graft. Nice trio of backs.

i should add take Jones in the  second round, not in the first when we've traded back.

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Yep I remember you saying your internet is spotty and when you can you check in...I've just always appreciated/respected your posts..

The Steelers have the best o-line? I don't know about that I'm not a percentage number analyst breakdown type person so I guess I better pump the brakes Maybe I'm Wrong but I think the Skins have a better o line then the Steelers..

Tater1, If you take the time to check you will find that 3 of the Steelers O line were voted to the pro bowl last year and I think. but not sure, that in the past all 5 have made the pro bowl at one time or another. What Did we have, one? If our O line was as good as the Steelers we would have a running game.

2 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Tater1, If you take the time to check you will find that 3 of the Steelers O line were voted to the pro bowl last year and I think. but not sure, that in the past all 5 have made the pro bowl at one time or another. What Did we have, one? If our O line was as good as the Steelers we would have a running game.

Give up on the pro bowl nods..that's a popularity contest..when ya have a pass happy coach ya ain't gonna run the ball much..

Just now, Renegade7 said:

That's not the best o-line in the league, PFF doesn't even have them in the top 10, even went so far to say they underachieved.  I'm trying to find his stats on this for 2017, but he lead the NFL in 2016 in positive yardage after initial contact in short yardage plays.  This man is best running back in the NFL, stop selling him short.

And don't call me "boy" : )

Go look at who made the AFC pro bowl last year. The Steelers had three on the O line. Your opinion about who is the best RB. 

2 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Go look at who made the AFC pro bowl last year. The Steelers had three on the O line. Your opinion about who is the best RB. 

You're not seriously going to use a popularity contest to negate the stats I brought to this discussion, are you?

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Give up on the pro bowl nods..that's a popularity contest..when ya have a pass happy coach ya ain't gonna run the ball much..

So our boy Scheriff is there because he is popular? The Steelers have balance on offense thats why they are a perenial playoff team. We are not in their league. 

7 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

So our boy Scheriff is there because he is popular? The Steelers have balance on offense thats why they are a perenial playoff team. We are not in their league. 

You said the were the best o-line in the league, and showed you you were wrong.  Your response was they have 3 pro-bowlers.  You also haven't addressed the injuries we had last year in how it relates to our ratings.  They had us rated as 11th going into last season before all the injuries.

3 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Top 10 RB in the league.  Will he get there? No clue.   But I do think he is starter material.

This is the point of the thread.  We don't need a starter, we need a star.  

Look, I like the guy, I really do, but if you look at the top 10 leading rushers last year, maybe he can touch CJ Anderson, but I don't think he belongs in there.  He's definitely not better the Kamara or Freeman who are only outside that list because of usage.  We need someone who can not just crack that list but belong there, imo.  

He doesn't have the talent to crack the top 10 in terms of best running backs in the league.  We'd of seen it by now if he did or was heading there.

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This is the point of the thread.  We don't need a starter, we need a star.  

10 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

DING!!! DING!!! DING!!! DING!!!

Huh?  Why?  According to who?

Take a look at the SB winners the last TEN years and try and name ONE that had a “star” RB.  In the words of Katt Williams....I’ll wait.  Zero.

Yet EVERY one of them had one of two things if not both ...a star QB or a dominant defense.  We don’t have a star QB, we have a serviceable one.  And since we have a starter material RB on the team already, we need DEFENSE, specifically fat boys that can stop the run and get to the QB.

So my final answer for this thread, Regis, is one Samaje Perine.

Just my $.02.

Hail.

2 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Huh?  Why?  According to who?

Take a look at the SB winners the last TEN years and try and name ONE that had a “star” RB.  In the words of Katt Williams....I’ll wait.  Zero.

Yet EVERY one of them had one of two things if not both ...a star QB or a dominant defense.  We don’t have a star QB, we have a serviceable one.  And since we have a starter material RB on the team already, we need DEFENSE, specifically fat boys that can stop the run and get to the QB.

So my final answer for this thread, Regis, is one Samaje Perine.

Just my $.02.

Hail.

I figured someone was going to make this point.  Couple things, how many of those team since 2000 had a QB that wasn't considerably better then Alex Smith (basically elite and heading to the HOF)?  Of those remaining teams, how many of them didn't have an elite running back or historically great defense?  Before you say the giants, one of those defenses shutdown an 18-0 team, so call it what you want, we don't have that.  We have none of the three, yet somehow you think we can win a super bowl anyway?

Also, this is about 2018.  All 4 teams on top of NFC have running backs that are significantly better the Perine (I'd say they are all elite compared to him, but Ajay needs to show he's still got it, and I believe he does, they aren't on the same level).  One of those 4 are going to win the super bowl this coming season, so that's what we are competing against.

I started a thread a long time ago about results from an 1800 yard rusher:

I'm not arguing that we need a 2000 yard rusher to compete.  I'm saying we don't have what we need to say we don't need a significant upgrade at this position to come closer to the teams that are going to be competing for the Super Bowl this year.  If you want to bring a knife to gun fight from an overall talent perspective, be my guest, but I promise you its not going to go the way you hope it will.  Alex best season came with a running back on a completely different level then Perine, you can't take that from him at 33 and expect similar or better results, that's a recipe for disaster.

Archived