Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be Starting RB in 2018??? (Public Poll)

Renegade7

Who' should be Starting RB in 2018???  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Starting RB in 2018???

• Trade for Le'Veon Bell
    • Draft RB in 1st Round
    • Draft RB in 2nd-7th Round
    • Sign Veteran FA
    • Sign UDFA
    • Trade for Veteran RB (Not Le'Veon Bell)
    • He's already on the Roster
    • IDK, but I know he's not on the Roster

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

As much as I'd want to support this, do you trust CT to stay healthy a full season?

Run him til the wheels fall off. What has using him sparingly done for his longevity?

Warrick Dunn is 5' 8", 190 lbs. He carried over 200 times in 8 of his 12 NFL seasons.

Chris Thompson is 5'8", 195.

11 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Run him til the wheels fall off. What has using him sparingly done for his longevity?

Warrick Dunn is 5' 8", 190 lbs. He carried over 200 times in 8 of his 12 NFL seasons.

Chris Thompson is 5'8", 195.

Valid comparison, except for the injury history.  Dunn proved he could handle that, CT hasn't yet and came into the league with injury problems (was that the case with Dunn?)

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Valid comparison, except for the injury history.  Dunn proved he could handle that, CT hasn't yet and came into the league with injury problems (was that the case with Dunn?)

Thompson's had a torn labrum and a fractured fibula in his NFL career.  Not really wear and tear injuries. 

I don't know.  I just think they are a demonstrably better offense when he's on the field, and I'd like to maximize that.

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Thompson's had a torn labrum and a fractured fibula in his NFL career.  Not really wear and tear injuries. 

I don't know.  I just think they are a demonstrably better offense when he's on the field, and I'd like to maximize that.

I agree, I just can't get done with depending on it.  Like I mentioned, he's the best 3rd down back in the NFL and we need to find different ways to get him the ball on non-3rd down plays, but he's starting to remind me of Reed (and I don't mean that in a good way).

Iirc we had a million injuries to our oline last year. We don't need to spend a lot of money or draft picks on leveon bell. He has been in a polished offense with several playmaker's to take the focus off of him. He would be a waste here and would underachieve. 

I would be OK with drafting a rookie rb with promise if the price is right. Thompson has proven what role he is good in and I suspect he'll be the same with our new qb.

Perine showed some things good but mostly average and I would prefer him to have another complement to his game. If we work on improving the oline and be creative with play calling, we should be fine. 

5 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

He has been in a polished offense with several playmaker's to take the focus off of him. He would be a waste here and would underachieve. 

What do you mean by underachieve? You say that like he's going to drop to low 4s in ypc or something. So what are we saying, that we know our offense isn't as good as the steelers, but we'll be fine, anyway?  That's likely who we'd see in the Super Bowl, us being able to matchup with them has to matter, otherwise, what are we even talking about?  Why do we even bother?

Ya'll are killing me (not you) with the Perine ready to handle the load talk.  This is our fan base in a nutshell:  We know we need our players to overachieve to be successful, then get mad when they don't.  News Flash:  Even if Bell doesn't produce the way he does in Pittsburgh, he'd run circles around Perine and the rest of the league anyway.  Ya'll watch this guy play, right?  He's asking to be paid like the best back and a #2 receiver for a reason.

Again, I can't defend $17 million, but if we can get this down to around or below the franchise tag, you have to have the conversation. Norman is making $12-13 million a year, who'd you rather give that money to? We'd be an immediate Super Bowl contender, heaven forbid CT and Reed stay healthy and Doctson/Richardson come close to their potential.  By taking Bell away from them, our offense would be better then the Steelers.  That type of offense is challenging the Pats territory.

Gimmie Bell and CT in the same backfield on any given play on any game of the week, and you tell me who's going to be underachieving.  Do we need that?  Debatable.  Can you stop that?

Galdi talked a lot about RB today. That we have drafted one in everyone of Jay's years. That the best teams, don't have the best back. We all know about the shelf life of backs, which is one of my concerns on Juice at 13 or others.  I want 10 plus years out of a first rounder.  

So what's wrong again with Perine. He trended up to finish the year. I think. Are we going to ostensibly give up on him already?  Why not let him run from pistol for a few games before deciding we need a RB in the first.... Whooops too late for that. Make no mistake I am intruiged at the idea of a shiny new back, but we kinda still already have one. Most just didn't like him, but I contend Jay did not use him to his strengths, and that the jury is very much out on him.

Regardless, I want another back added.  A Dion Lewis James White type. Whoops too late there too. CT bless his heart had managed touches and still had his leg destroyed. I want Jay to have a hands back available for every down the entire year. Alex Smith may want one even more than me.  I talked up Perine's decent hands more than anyone, but lets be reality, he is not cut from the modern hands back mold. But man, did I always love feeding passes to FBs and watching the hapless DBs try to tackle him.

Hands backs seem to be all the rage. A WR that cannot beat press should get snaps out of the backfield more.

17 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Make no mistake I am intruiged at the idea of a shiny new back, but we kinda still already have one. 

Anyone want to do a sig bet that if Perine leads the team in rushing in 2018 that we don't make the playoffs?  And no, I don't want to be right on that at all, I'd rather have a dunce avatar.

The comment about the best teams not having the best back doesn't make sense, most of the super bowl contenders this season have star running backs.  Pats are the exception to everything because they have the best QB/Coach combo in the NFL (maybe NFL history) and they don't need one.  

The definition of a super bowl contender is a moving target that flows with each season and what each team is doing.  You can argue up this point that hasn't been needed, but this year there are 5-6 teams that could win the super bowl and that all have one.  Ya'll can do what you ya'll want to do, ya'll grown and I'm going to be here regardless. But if end up with another mediocre starter and can't establish the run, I won't want to hear it.  

I don't want to see a thread about our run game sucking, I'm just going to bump this one as soon as someone makes one (I won't keep bumping it, once should be enough).

I've been really consistent in my opinion of Perine. It'll take him a few years, but he'll have a solid career. I don't think he's someone to carry an offense. At least yet. He'll need time to build his career. Hopefully the coaches have told him to slow down and refine one part of his game first. It's a shame the load dropped on his shoulders last year. 

The RB is not on the roster. He'll need to be drafted. I'd do some reconnaissance on Andy Reid's scouting team. I don't recall one year where Andy didn't have a dynamic, shifty, fast RB.  I'd spend a little money on whoever in that scouting department that is finding these RB for Andy.  Hell I may even pick them up in Redskins 1. 

On 4/20/2018 at 7:45 PM, Rocky52Mc said:

Taking a RB high is idiotic. You need 3-4 guys that bring a combination of speed, agility, and hammer. Redskins are a 5th round RB away from having a nice backfield. 

So the defense can better know what plays they need to defend against depending on who's in the backfield?  You sound like you're ready with who we shoulda picked in the 5th instead if he doesn't pan out, instead of whether relying on a 5th round pick was a good idea in the first place.

Maybe it's Samje, as he acclimates to the NFL and the Skins O-Line figures out how to run block on both sides of the line, as well as up the middle.  From my perspective, the Skins running play design currently isn't getting anything done reliably, and that's an issue. (Even for the highly-regarded coach Callahan.)

To me, the Skins' bigger issue is RB coach, Randy Jordan.  He's been here a while now, and to date, he's never developed anyone to become a decent NFL RB.  (The best of his group, CT, likely benefited from tutoring by former RB Coach Bobby Turner.) Under Jordan, the Skins running game continues to decline, and his RBs don't seem to have correct instincts on how to navigate though the line.  At times, they've looked pathetic!

Coach Jordan has been given a lot of new RBs to work with -- yet he still hasn't delivered a decent, NFL-level product.  Maybe it's time for a RB coaching change before the Skins invest in a high draft pick on an RB.

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

So the defense can better know what plays they need to defend against depending on who's in the backfield?  You sound like you're ready with who we shoulda picked in the 5th instead if he doesn't pan out, instead of whether relying on a 5th round pick was a good idea in the first place.

That's kind of what the chess match of football is. You mix and match your positions when you need to and avoid giving off a tell. That's how the draw works on 3rd and long, or passing out of a double tight end set...

6 minutes ago, Rocky52Mc said:

That's kind of what the chess match of football is. You mix and match your positions when you need to and avoid giving off a tell. That's how the draw works on 3rd and long, or passing out of a double tight end set...

Still, no one is going to take CT serious in jumbo formation, and Perine doesn't seem ready for that that 3rd down back role.  One of my biggest fears is something happening to CT again, then we're stuck asking Perine to do something he ain't got no business doing out of desperation.  This RBBC thing is just not working for us, its always something, man. 

Samaje finished with 22 catches, which is likely more than anyone thought he would get. Sure, a lot of those came after CT went down, but whatever. It does show a bit of promise towards being an all down back, if even a poor mans variety.  He is only 22 and wasn't used out of formations which he was used in during the time Bruce and Dan became enamored with him. I think I just found the disconnect.   Bruce and Dan watching youtube, don't delve into things like formations, and assume those things just don't matter. Jay is then left pounding away forcing a square peg into a round hole . Or, using formations to make 1 player better, at the expense of other players strengths, and even what formations he wants to run. 

I wonder if Jay had any idea / input about getting Alex Smith.  He better have input on what we are doing at 13. You can't butcher early/mid 1st rounders and expect to get better.  Nor, trade them all away.

Back on topic, for all the concerns about Samaje and ball security, he was credited with 2 fumbles last year. Yeah I remember the pitch and a few other near fumbles but IMHO those are to be expected from a hulking rookie RB.   If we go with a back at 13, lets try to keep our cool after his first fumble :)

Ya, at this point, my hope for Le'Veon Bell is dead since the draft is tomorrow.  I'm not sure how I feel about Jones, about a lot of these guys I do like have hands but need more weight to be workhorse for December NFC East.  That's not impossible, I may just be overthinking it, but bout to take seriously what our draft options are now.

That's a lot of votes.

I know I'm going to get some negatives for this, but I was really impressed with Perine late in the year before the injury. I think he passed Kelley on the depth chart and then with guys like Bibbs and Marshall coming in off the street, they looked good. I don't think we should ignore the position but I am not as dire on it as others seem to be.

That said, I think we see a lot of late round RBs do well and I would want somebody in the 3-7 instead of an early pick. I would think that we could have something of a three headed monster at RB with somebody to complement Perine and Thompson. Like he can do all roles but isn't expected to contribute too much as a starter. I'd look at guys like Ballage from Arizona St, or Justin Jackson from Northwestern.

Honestly, I'd want speed more than anything else at RB. Field vision is also important but what frustrated me about our runs was that we'd get the 4 yarder that could have gone for 7 with a faster back or a 7 that could have gone for 15, or a 20 that could have gone for a TD. Even with Thompson, he was pulled down from behind a few times on his long runs and receptions and I was saying if only. And what got me is that I think it was Bibbs took a similar pass to the end zone and I was impressed. Thing is Bibbs is 24 going on 25 and I wonder how much potential he has left vs this being what he is. (I will say that I like Bibbs more than Marshall).

46 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I’m leaning towards a backfield of Guice, Thompson, Perine and Bibbs.

Bibbs impressed me late in the season and was a hood backup with the Broncos. 

*"(In my 'Bernie Mac' voice) 'WAYMENT': WHY 'da Brutha' GOTTA BE a 'HOOD' Backup?!?" ????????

Archived