Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be Starting RB in 2018??? (Public Poll)

Renegade7

Who' should be Starting RB in 2018???  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Starting RB in 2018???

• Trade for Le'Veon Bell
    • Draft RB in 1st Round
    • Draft RB in 2nd-7th Round
    • Sign Veteran FA
    • Sign UDFA
    • Trade for Veteran RB (Not Le'Veon Bell)
    • He's already on the Roster
    • IDK, but I know he's not on the Roster

I went back a couple pages, and didn't see this really touched the way I think it needs to.  To me, this is the defining conversation for the remainder of this offseason.  We are in a talent deficit compared to the top 4 teams in the NFC, we are falling behind in this arms race.  I hated the Alex Smith trade when I first heard it, but let it grow on me.  Let me make this clear:

If we go into this season giving Alex Smith less talent then he had in KC on offense and expect similar or better results, we are fools of the highest order, and deserve to miss the playoffs.

We do not have a Tyreek Hill, we do not have a Kareem Hunt, and I cannot compare Reed to Kelce if we're already talking about Reed possibly missing OTAs.  We are in serious danger right now of ceasing to be relevant while claiming to be in "win-now" mode.  I want to be optimistic about our receiver core, but I'm serious, if we don't get serious talent at RB and be able to establish a running game, we are going NOWHERE.  Best case scenario without a running game reminds me of our 2015 season, where we got knocked out in the first round at home and didn't even win 10 games (that won't win the East this year, not with Philly winning a super bowl with their backup QB).  We have to able to run the ball, this is not an option.

So what do we do?

I've been wanting to start a Le'Veon Bell thread all offseason, but convinced ya'll would've assassinated me if I did.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200, at least two weeks via "Hi there" by the time that thread was closed.  But I'm serious, we need some kind of talent like that (or at least comparable to Hunt or even Dalvin Cook).  At first, when Big Ben was talking about wanting to retire, I wanted to trade Cousins to get Bell (expecting both to get franchised again).  After Ben decided to come back, I wanted to do something that involved Cravens and picks.  After we traded Cravens to Denver, I finally got serious about what all the options were to make this possible, and I don't think I can.  We have the assets to trade, but if he seriously wants $17 million a year, that means we're at least losing Preston Smith next offseason.  Unless someone can make a case for this, as much as I want it, this might not be an option.

I'm open to using first round pick on RB instead, but still believe we have to keep our ear to the ground in case Bell ever does come off that $17 million number.  I believe we need that level of talent to compete and build around, and not ask Smith to save us the same we asked Cousins to, neither one of them are good enough for that.  If there's another way to do that, I'm all ears, but anything less, we won't make the playoffs and Allen should be fired.  We can't go bargain bin on this anymore, not if we want to compete with the top four NFC teams.

Thoughts???  

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Depends on training camp. 

This answer perplexes me.  Of course whoever is on the roster will have to earn the #1 spot, but are you saying we should wait until then to decide if the starter isn't on the roster already?  I hope that's not what you're saying, because by then it'll be too late to do anything about it if they aren't (and I don't believe the starter is on the roster right now - or at least shouldn't be).

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Drafting a back in the 2nd-7th round is a big window.  I voted for that option, but I prefer this pick to be made in the 2nd.

I agree, I got tired and lazy and didn't feel like breaking it out.  In my head, a first round investment is completely different then any other round, and that's another reason I left it at that.  Anything outside the 1st round is acknowledging you aren't trying to get the best prospect possible at that position.

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

Get off the board Vinny,, I keed, I keed, that's a kings ransom. 

For a running back..ya ur prob right...I just have a feeling we won't see the best from Alex if we don't have a run game..

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Depends on training camp. 

Glad to see ya around..it's been a minute..I used to have the name taylorcooley1..

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He IMO definitely isn't on the roster.  Trade down and take Guice in the first.  Or whomever is left in the 2nd among:  Chubb, Michel, Jones, Penny.

I agree except I do not want Jones. He looks nice on tape against lesser competition and when there are open lanes. Hits them quickly and heads up field. But he cannot create yards and goes down too easy for me, especially against better competition. We already have a few guys like that - albeit without the speed. The other guys I like though - especially Guice. I believe he could be that back we have all been looking for and someone that gives Jay more options. Maybe we can stop trying to run out the clock by throwing 75% of the time or going 3 and out on 2 runs an easily defended pass.  

26 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

For a running back..ya ur prob right...I just have a feeling we won't see the best from Alex if we don't have a run game..

Glad to see ya around..it's been a minute..I used to have the name taylorcooley1..

Hey bro. I generally troll the draft thread. Just got internet back too. 

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I'm down, but what do we do about that $17 million number?  

With respect boys, He runs behind the best O line in the league and I do not see him knocking anyone over. Has holes big enough to drive a truck through. I do not see him coming here to make less money. Thought we had enough with high priced free agents. Get Guice and a LG. By the way, Guice is also a good receiver. You can throw to him on 1st down when the box is stacked. 

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hey bro. I generally troll the draft thread. Just got internet back too. 

Yep I remember you saying your internet is spotty and when you can you check in...I've just always appreciated/respected your posts..

7 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

With respect boys, He runs behind the best O line in the league and I do not see him knocking anyone over. Has holes big enough to drive a truck through. I do not see him coming here to make less money. Though we had enough with high priced free agents. Get Guise and a LG

The Steelers have the best o-line? I don't know about that I'm not a percentage number analyst breakdown type person so I guess I better pump the brakes Maybe I'm Wrong but I think the Skins have a better o line then the Steelers..

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This answer perplexes me.  Of course whoever is on the roster will have to earn the #1 spot, but are you saying we should wait until then to decide if the starter isn't on the roster already?  I hope that's not what you're saying, because by then it'll be too late to do anything about it if they aren't (and I don't believe the starter is on the roster right now - or at least shouldn't be).

I'm saying who knows. Maybe Barclay falls to us. Maybe he then tears an acl beating children to death. Maybe Chubb gets drafted and Perine beats him out. Maybe CT is ready to be 80% of our offense again. 

Maybe. 

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Drafting a back in the 2nd-7th round is a big window.  I voted for that option, but I prefer this pick to be made in the 2nd.

I would like that as well, but by law we are required to pick a LB in the second round. Since we currently do not have a third, that means we are picking the next Perine in round 4.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm saying who knows. Maybe Barclay falls to us. Maybe he then tears an acl beating children to death. Maybe Chubb gets drafted and Perine beats him out. Maybe CT is ready to be 80% of our offense again. 

Maybe. 

So the question isn't what do you think will happen, its what do you want to have happen : )

I'll tell you this, I love CT, but we tried to keep him from getting injured and he got injured anyway.  He's probably the best 3rd down back in the league, but that's his ceiling, he can't be the starter.

4 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

With respect boys, He runs behind the best O line in the league and I do not see him knocking anyone over. Has holes big enough to drive a truck through. I do not see him coming here to make less money. Thought we had enough with high priced free agents. Get Guice and a LG. By the way, Guice is also a good receiver. You can throw to him on 1st down when the box is stacked. 

I'll look more into this more when I get out, but I totally believe you're underselling Bell's talent.  It's like you're comparing this to the holes Perine got in college, no way, and I've seen him play enough that its not just holes and he's a monster at the goal line.  He's not a slightly bigger CT, he's a completely different species.  In regards to our o-line, that's a loaded question because of how many injuries we had last season.  You can say Steelers line was better, but what does that actually mean, and no, I don't think it will have as dramatic an effect on Bell's production as you are suggesting it might.

About Perine, and any back we draft actually....

I hope Jay is wise enough to use them to their strengths. Apparently Perine dominated out of pistol/gun in college. And yet we made him run from the I, which clearly was lacking in productivity for most of the season.   I think it was the I.

Sometimes, its easier to adapt to a player you HAVE to use.  He was a rookie forced in by injury early. Let him learn the I slowly while trying to accumulate wins.  Bah, whatever lets draft a short yardage only back and wonder why he drops screens all year.

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Contract number to high, they also really like Booker. 

Ya, looked more into it, looks money dominated, they paid a lot to keep him from leaving by matching dolphins offer, I don't think they ever wanted to give him that.  His career production is extremely suspect, but he'd be the starter for sure.

Archived