Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

I have to say, I'm getting pretty excited about the young players that will make up our receiving corps this coming season. It was a WR rich draft, and I think we walked away with a couple good ones. They should team nicely with Terry and with Harmon. I think they seem to be rangy players who have good size and can go up for the ball, and from the highlights, they are pretty sure handed. Gandy-Golden makes some nice one-handed catches. Not sure any of them have blazing speed, but they do nice work after the catch.    

• Like 2

Really rooting for Steve Simms. From UDFA to hero. Make it happen!

He had some bad drops, but he also had so many exciting plays. Given the erratic QB play and the fact that he was the rawest of rookie receivers, I think he may become someone we will root for for years. Mind you, I'm a big time homer when it comes to underdogs.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Without knowing the stats, we have to have one of the youngest WR corps in the league.

We have 11 offensive players older than 25, just 2 older than 30 (not including Alex Smith).

Our top receivers next year will most likely be: McLaurin (24), AGG (22), Sims (23), Harmon (24), Gibson (21), Latimer (27).

36 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We have 11 offensive players older than 25, just 2 older than 30 (not including Alex Smith).

Our top receivers next year will most likely be: McLaurin (24), AGG (22), Sims (23), Harmon (24), Gibson (21), Latimer (27).

And how many of those older guys are back-end depth or camp bodies along the OL and at TE? I would love it if 2020 was a "get young and get experience" year for the offense.

LT Charles (20)

LG Martin (23)

C Ismael (21)

RG Scherff (28)

RT Christian (23)

Obviously this isn't how the OL will shape up on day one but in my mind this is what I would pencil in as your 2021 starting OL without any additional 2021 off-season additions, so the more work these guys can get the better. Obviously Moses and Roullier will likely start but it would be nice if Pierschbacher or Ismael could push Roullier in camp. Same with Christian and Charles at the OT spots

RB: Guice (22), Love (22), Gibson (21)

WR: McLaurin (24), Gandy-Golden (22), Sims (23), Harmon (24), Latimer (27)

QB: Haskins (23), Allen (24)

TE: Thomas (28), Rodgers (28), Moss (21), Hentges (23)

Obviously Moss stepping up is important for the longterm outlook at TE, but taking away TE, this is a very young and very talented group to build around. Almost all on rookie contracts. Pretty remarkable, actually. The only "high paid" guys are Scherff, Moses and Smith. After 2020 with MOses and Smith being moved on from, the only non-rookie contract major offensive player entering the 2021 off-season (assuming extension) is Scherff.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Holy crap Steven Sims looks incredible in those videos. 

He looks quick as hell but short-striders like him always do on video. Luckily we know he IS quick as hell. 

• Like 1

This guy deserves credit for nailing it on the Sims prediction before the 2019 draft.

Says he likely will be "drafted late, or not at all", then says " I think Sims will make an opening day roster and slowly or quickly become a weapon, and then become a main starter/weapon. "

All turned out to be 100% true.

Forecast was by R.C. Fischer, College Football Metrics and Fantasy Football Metrics

https://www.fantasyfootballmetrics.net/general-nfl-draft-reports/nfl-draft-2019-scouting-report-wr-steven-sims-jr-kansas-free

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He looks quick as hell but short-striders like him always do on video. Luckily we know he IS quick as hell. 

The quick feet seemed to be translating to crisp routs and seperation.   Some Sims hightlights look alot like the Judy highlights I had watched this offseason.

WIth Latimer news, receiving corps just shaped up even more.

It lost some weight in the last 24 hours.

And did some research on coach David Robinson, and he also coached some Redskins : Jordan Reed, Adrian Peterson, and Ryan Grant.

Grant is worthy of mention, even though he wasn't great, because while he wasn't born with great skills like speed, etc, he was known

for being an excellent and disciplined route-runner, which probably benefited from Coach Robinson.

So this guy's resume makes me think he can do great things with Sims.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

Wonder if Emmanuel Hall has a shot at making the roster.  He was Drew Lock's deep threat at Missouri.  He's a track guy who can get behind man coverage on the outside.  Might be a good option to have down the depth chart since a lot of the receivers we have are more possession types.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wonder if Emmanuel Hall has a shot at making the roster.  He was Drew Lock's deep threat at Missouri.  He's a track guy who can get behind man coverage on the outside.  Might be a good option to have down the depth chart since a lot of the receivers we have are more possession types.

Anyone has a shot. Hall seems like a long-shot, but after Terry McLaurin, Steven Sims Jr., Kelvin Harmon, and Antonio Gandy-Golden it seems pretty wide open. There's 1-2 spots available (counting Antonio Gibson in the RB group) and not any stand out options. A guy like Cody Latimer, with 6 years experience and a special teams background, seemed like one of the better bets. That was pre-arrest. Trey Quinn is also here, but an oft-injured back-up slot receiver isn't the most exciting option. Can any of the other names make an impact? The opportunity is there.