Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Sheehan of all people echoes my thoughts about Alex Smith which is some Redskins fans seem to think Alex is like a Brees-Brady like surgeon who will pick you apart from the pocket and just kill it -- he doesn't think so, KC reporters don't describe Alex that way, neither do most film geeks, etc  -- I don't see Alex either as the ultimate pocket passer.   Good but not great in that department. 

What I like about Alex is what Moses says below.  I want to see those funky formations -- RPO, RO.   And hopefully Alex's athleticism lasts into his late 30s -- that part to me is a wild card but for the next two seasons looking forward to seeing some Redskin formations to remind us of 2012.

Quote of the day: RT Morgan Moses on QB Alex Smith: "You can just tell by the three days, four days we’ve been on the field, how much the playbook has grown. He’s just not a thrower, he can run, you have to respect his run, we got a little bit of option stuff coming in. It helps us all out as an offense and as a defense because the [Philadelphia] Eagles run similar plays with Carson Wentz and so they get a guy on our team that they see that every day."

Im genuinely convinced you’re Kevin Sheehan. Lol

I’m not the biggest fan of Reid’s “funky” formations and schemes it seems his offenses fall short in the long run and defenses catch up to it (not just last year has his taken place). I

What are your thoughts? With that said, he’s always been able to scheme a good run attack though. 

More RPO/RO stuff from Jay and staff that many in the league are doing would be welcomed. 

Gruden opening up the playbook or expanding it for Smith doesn't really surprise me that much as Smith is a good improviser, etc. Also, we all know how OCD Kirk was about the playbook and being extremely process oriented. IIRC there were multiple times that Gruden made comments about that and how Kirk wouldn't want to install x, y, or z plays if he wasn't absolutely 100% about them. Gruden usually said it in a joking manner but I think it was usually "joking not joking" as that probably did limit how much they could expand the playbook.

13 hours ago, wit33 said:

Im genuinely convinced you’re Kevin Sheehan. Lol

I like Sheehan.  Don't always agree with him though.  Case in point he's ok with Guice but not a big Guice guy and is obsessed with Kerryon Johnson -- am the opposite.  Sheehan also worships Shanny -- personally I don't hate Shanny but I soured on him at the end of his tenure.

13 hours ago, wit33 said:

I’m not the biggest fan of Reid’s “funky” formations and schemes it seems his offenses fall short in the long run and defenses catch up to it (not just last year has his taken place). I

What are your thoughts? With that said, he’s always been able to scheme a good run attack though. 

More RPO/RO stuff from Jay and staff that many in the league are doing would be welcomed. 

Yeah I actually like those funky formations and all the backfield motion.  2 of Reid's offensive coaches are now head coaches so clearly other NFL teams saw some value in what they were doing there.

Switching gears, as for the leadership stuff that's been posted about Alex.  I think Swearinger summed it well -- I think the contract had a lot to do with it with Kirk.  He had one foot out the door -- and I don't blame him for it.  It just is what it is. The negotiations clearly didn't go well and towards the end it felt like Kirk was on borrowed time.  It doesn't feel that way about Alex with the contract he got.  That's part of the reason why I disagree with some of the critics (including Laconfora) of them extending his contract after the trade.  I didn't love the trade because of Alex's age and how that matches up to our roster.  But I would have really hated it if they didn't extend his contract.  My beef with the Kirk negotiation wasn't just that it was specifically with Kirk but it was about the idea that your QB -- most important guy on the team -- seemed to be on borrowed time -- which for me made the whole team feel to be a bit on borrowed time.  

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

Man.... Its pretty telling that Alex has a greater command of the offense a week into training camp than Kirk did after 4 years. We knew he would bring greater leadership, but I would have thought Kirk after that many years would command/run the offense better after that long.

Like I was discussing earlier in this thread, if a guy that lacks leadership/command of the offense/can't-won't run the whole playbook/chokes in all the big moments can win 9, 8 & 7 games with a scab squad and no running game, than Alex Smith should be winning double digit games easily.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Like I was discussing earlier in this thread, if a guy that lacks leadership/command of the offense/can't-won't run the whole playbook/chokes in all the big moments can win 9, 8 & 7 games with a scab squad and no running game, than Alex Smith should be winning double digit games easily.

Fair point. Its going to be interesting... Cousins not being able to run the offense could also be one of the reasons he would always start out slow every year.

1 minute ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

He was jerking your chain...sarcastic....

Ah. Well, I guess we will see where the Redskins and Vikings are at the end of the season and we can revisit it. Not sure why people are so snarky. Do we think that DJ is lying or just mistaken? Or are we okay with Kirk not knowing the offense as well as Alex 1 week into camp?

6 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

He was jerking your chain...sarcastic....

Ahhh I recognize his name now. It wont surprise me if he and Morneblade are pissed at the end of the season if Alex/Redskins end up having a better year than Kirk/Vikings.

6 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Ah. Well, I guess we will see where the Redskins and Vikings are at the end of the season and we can revisit it. Not sure why people are so snarky. Do we think that DJ is lying or just mistaken? Or are we okay with Kirk not knowing the offense as well as Alex 1 week into camp?

I agree with you...Those 2 eagles games EARLY in the season were proof to me. Some can blame game plan but that goes to your argument that The former Redskins QB only ran plays he was comfortable with so a GOOD DC ( Our Division Opponents) would capitalize on that. The Eagles did just that. Those games were fubared

6 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Ahhh I recognize his name now. It wont surprise me if he and Morneblade are pissed at the end of the season if Alex/Redskins end up having a better year than Kirk/Vikings.

:rofl89:

I actually wasn't being sarcastic at all.  I was being very serious. 

We're constantly seeing negative narratives about Kirk that I listed in the post, yet the team still won 7 games last year with him as QB, with a lot of good players not playing or playing beat up.

All of those players that were hurt are coming back, all the players playing through pain no longer are, and we've added a receiver that can take the top off, a running back that we all believe should be a huge difference maker and also added pieces to the Dline.

Add to that all the positive narratives about Alex's leadership, deep ball proficiency, ability to take off and run, and so on.

I'm just putting it out there that if all the bad about Kirk is true and all the good about Alex is as well, there is literally no excuse not to win a lot more games. 

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

Gruden opening up the playbook or expanding it for Smith doesn't really surprise me that much as Smith is a good improviser, etc. Also, we all know how OCD Kirk was about the playbook and being extremely process oriented. IIRC there were multiple times that Gruden made comments about that and how Kirk wouldn't want to install x, y, or z plays if he wasn't absolutely 100% about them. Gruden usually said it in a joking manner but I think it was usually "joking not joking" as that probably did limit how much they could expand the playbook.

yeah it was obvious from early on that Jay really hate THAT about Kirk... his process-only minded QB play...  If you see it from Jay's perspective, Jay played QB at Louisville and various professional leagues (Areana League most famously).  In those years Jay playing, he probably had to serious improvise and  go just make a play probably in every single game.. shoot probably every drive...  So you could see how hard it was for Jay to get his head around a QB that sticks to "the process" to not only to his detriment but also the team...   I am not saying Kirk was a bad QB for us but probably Jay/Kirk wasn't the match made in heaven. 

I would have been happy if Kirk did stay but I think at least now we have a situation where the coach (Jay) and QB (Alex) that have common ground on how to play QB on the field... hopefully this will lead to more wins for us.  HTTR!!

Contract negotiations for quarterbacks can be contentious, but Smith — who had dealt with several months of uncertainty about his future following the Chiefs’ decision to select former Texas Tech gunslinger Patrick Mahomes in the first round of the previous draft — was thrilled to go to a team that wanted him. He told Condon not to dawdle, and only days later, they hammered out a five-year, $94 million deal before news of the trade leaked to The Kansas City Star.

“It’s a [expletive]-ton of money, man,” Smith says now, with a chuckle. “Haggling over $2 million more or something? Nah. I’ve played a long time. Let’s get fair market value and let’s go. Get it done.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/alex-smith-qb-washington-needs-not-one-deserves-015109378.html

59 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

No, not really, I just think false narratives are false. Kirk knew the offense better than Alex does at this point, to even insinuate that at this point is an outright falsehood. Which is why I laughed, because it's funny. Smith however is not going to freak out if he doesn't know everything perfectly, and that does seem to be an issue with Kirk, if what we hear is true. And as someone who is married to a perfectionist, and I'm more of a 85% and "eh, I'll fake the rest" kinda guy. I see how it makes a difference. I don't freeze up if things don't go exactly as planned, because improvisation was already  in there anyway. My wife however sometimes will lock up over the smallest thing.  Maybe not going back to Sexy Rexy and "**** it I'm going deep", but more so than Cousins.

And it looks like actually having something other than a 1 year contract helps if we are to believe DJ. Who knows, maybe Kirk will loosen up too now that he has one.

And I'm pretty sure the Vikes will have a better season unless they get a huge amount of injuries. They are top to bottom, a better football team. How pissed will you be if they win a SB? :P

Simple standard net points based:

Offensive at or above 21 standard net points happened 6 times (2 were in losses).

Defense at or below 20 net points happened 10 times (3 times in losses).

Does not consider special teams effects, timing, game flow or any subjective considerations.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Kirk was playing for his football life early in his career. Then he had to put up big number in 3 straight "prove it" seasons with a big contract on the line. Pretty sure 2 losses to good teams won't make him feel the most pressure he's felt before.  .  

Not to mention he's receiving 84M guaranteed in salary no matter what transpires. 

Similar to here, it's all love in Minnesota with their new QB right now as well.

1 minute ago, Bifflog said:

This thread is going to continue to be yawn-inducing until someone wagers something interesting...

We definitely need more high stakes. Someone in the Doctson thread said they would run around the block naked if he hit 70 catches, I hope both things happen.

Archived