Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

some of this from that article smacks of some of the stuff that Kirk's critics say about him.  He is burdened by such and such and now apparently over it and in Kirk's case supposedly its the case for him now that he's in Minny. 

Alex apparently ditto. I think its overplayed on both fronts on both QBs.  I'd assume every player has had their insecurities and as they get more comfortable in their job their confidence grows -- isn't that like that for anybody in any job? 

To many pundits -- Kirk and Alex are either overrated or underrated.  I am rooting for both to be successful for different reasons.  For Alex -- great guy -- and if he succeeds, the Redskins succeed.  For Kirk -- great guy -- and I think the dude is a running commentary on Bruce so if a big season leads in part to Bruce's exit than i am all for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/07/21/feature/alex-smith-comes-to-the-redskins-with-self-assurance-as-his-strong-suit/?utm_term=.20c46ca8b05c

But Smith no longer is burdened by insecurity or in need of affirmation. The former No. 1 overall NFL draft pick already has been written off as a potential bust, twice been discarded for shinier, younger quarterbacks. He has been praised for leading the San Francisco 49ers to the NFC title game and derided as “a game manager” — a solid, dependable quarterback who can’t lift his team by himself. But none of that matters as he stands in his new locker room, surrounded by hundreds of fans.

...It took years for him to achieve a level of inner peace, to put aside lingering resentment and stop questioning the business side of the game. Smith rather would focus on what lies ahead and how excited he is to be a part of Gruden’s “QB-friendly” system. But those moments of insecurity and self-doubt — and his journey to overcome outside perception of his worth — are vital to understanding Smith’s mental makeup, his 14-year journey in the NFL and why members of the Redskins’ staff are “tickled to death” to have this 34-year-old quarterback under center.

What was Kirk burdened with, contract negotiations lol. The two aren't even in the same ballpark when it comes to dealing with adversity. 

That has literally nothing to do with me talking about them as players or Alex>Kirk. I too see them as comparable players. Different strengths, different weaknesses. But as far as who had to overcome more to achieve that feeling of inner piece? That's Alex in a landslide. The start to his career was absolutely brutal so for him to get to where he is today is pretty impressive. And something I hadn't thought a lot about. 

A couple of interesting stats about Smith/Redskins in this video:

1.  Smith is ranked as the best go-route and post route passer over the past 5 years.

2.  Redskins ranked #3 in highest percentage of open throws last year (Smith was #2), and Redskins always rank near the top in percentage of open throws under Gruden.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

some of this from that article smacks of some of the stuff that Kirk's critics say about him.  He is burdened by such and such and now apparently over it and in Kirk's case supposedly its the case for him now that he's in Minny. 

Alex apparently ditto. I think its overplayed on both fronts on both QBs.  I'd assume every player has had their insecurities and as they get more comfortable in their job their confidence grows -- isn't that like that for anybody in any job? 

To many pundits -- Kirk and Alex are either overrated or underrated.  I am rooting for both to be successful for different reasons.  For Alex -- great guy -- and if he succeeds, the Redskins succeed.  For Kirk -- great guy -- and I think the dude is a running commentary on Bruce so if a big season leads in part to Bruce's exit than i am all for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/07/21/feature/alex-smith-comes-to-the-redskins-with-self-assurance-as-his-strong-suit/?utm_term=.20c46ca8b05c

But Smith no longer is burdened by insecurity or in need of affirmation. The former No. 1 overall NFL draft pick already has been written off as a potential bust, twice been discarded for shinier, younger quarterbacks. He has been praised for leading the San Francisco 49ers to the NFC title game and derided as “a game manager” — a solid, dependable quarterback who can’t lift his team by himself. But none of that matters as he stands in his new locker room, surrounded by hundreds of fans.

...It took years for him to achieve a level of inner peace, to put aside lingering resentment and stop questioning the business side of the game. Smith rather would focus on what lies ahead and how excited he is to be a part of Gruden’s “QB-friendly” system. But those moments of insecurity and self-doubt — and his journey to overcome outside perception of his worth — are vital to understanding Smith’s mental makeup, his 14-year journey in the NFL and why members of the Redskins’ staff are “tickled to death” to have this 34-year-old quarterback under center.

Before reading that article I had only the vaguest of ideas what Smith looked like.

ESPN article - 50 execs rank starting QBs:

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations.

Tier 1: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes, but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

Tier 2: Ryan, Wilson, Stafford, Rivers, Wentz, Luck, Newton, Carr, Garoppolo, Watson

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter, but needs a heavier running game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume passing offense makes his job easier.

Tier 3: Cousins, Smith, Manning, Prescott, Goff, Winston, Mariota, Dalton, Flacco, Keenum, Taylor, Bortles, Tannehill, Bradford

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside, or a veteran who is ultimately best suited as a backup.

Tier 4: Trubisky, McCown, Mahomes, McCarron

Smith
2018 tier average: 2.52

Polling was generally done in alphabetical order of team or player names, so voters were not asked about the Redskins' new quarterback (Smith) and their old one (Cousins) in succession. Even so, they finished with the same number of votes in each tier: 24 in the second and 26 in the third. On follow-up, voters typically said they would prefer Smith if given a choice, partly because they perceived him to be a better leader.

"I watched all his tape and would make him the last guy in the second tier," an offensive coach said of Smith. "He gets the most out of what he's got more than anybody else I've seen. He is a great decision-maker."

Smith started five consecutive seasons under Andy Reid and played with a stable of dynamic playmakers featuring Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Smith is joining a Redskins team lacking in that type of firepower. For that reason, it could be tough for him to complete eight touchdown passes of 50-plus yards, as he did with Kansas City last season (the most since John Hadl in 1968).

"Kansas City is going to miss him," an offensive coordinator said. "They are going to be excited about how dynamic [Patrick] Mahomes is, but when it is said and done, I think they would have won more games with Alex than they will with Mahomes next year. They are going to be hoping Mahomes will play more like Alex in the future."

I have been lurking on this site since 2008. This thread motivated me to create an account. I have been a Redskin fan my entire life and I’m 43. I remember the good old days. The bottom line is Kirk Cousins is not the quarterback for the Washington Redskins, Alex Smith is. Therefore I support and will root for Alex Smith. Players may very well tune in to this message board, and if they do I want them to know that I will cheer and respect the men who chose to represent the burgundy and gold. Hail to the Redskins!

I can't believe Garoppolo is in tier 2 because of 6 good games.  I think he's a great candidate for being the biggest letdown for any QB this year, too much smack talk coming out of San Fran and the kid hasn't done a damn thing yet.

31 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I can't believe Garoppolo is in tier 2 because of 6 good games.  I think he's a great candidate for being the biggest letdown for any QB this year, too much smack talk coming out of San Fran and the kid hasn't done a damn thing yet.

I think Tier 3 are guys who can execute a coaches game plan without much issue. But, if a defense has the edge in game planning in that drive, quarter, half or game... these guys have tougher times at that point. 

Jimmy G showed in short time he can can manipulate the pocket and improvise when the coaches call potentially didn’t work or a myriad of other reasons. A little early, but I see how he’s in that tier. 

52 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I think Tier 3 are guys who can execute a coaches game plan without much issue. But, if a defense has the edge in game planning in that drive, quarter, half or game... these guys have tougher times at that point. 

Jimmy G showed in short time he can can manipulate the pocket and improvise when the coaches call potentially didn’t work or a myriad of other reasons. A little early, but I see how he’s in that tier. 

He looks the part but I wouldn't put him or Watson in that top 14 based on such a small sample size, I think you have to pay your dues and earn it, neither has done that yet.

For some reason, my gut tells me San Fran is going to flop this year, just a feeling without any data to back it up.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

The last 3 on the the tier 2 list to me  are  questionable. Garaffalo and Watson probably have only 15 NFL starts between them,I believe it’s to early to say.Watson does look like he will become that player though.Not really sure about Carr,he can be erratic at times.Even Newton can be great but every now and then there is a clunker of a game,but he probably belongs there.

When I look at the Tier 2 vs 3 from that article it feels like most of them are interchangeable.  Not to mention Jimmy G & Watson being way too young in their careers to be ranked that high.  Especially Jimmy G.  He may turn out to be great, but the sample size is so tiny, we've seen plenty of QB's look very good to start their careers over at least twice as many games as him and they came back down to earth fast. 

3 hours ago, Shanwood said:

I have been lurking on this site since 2008. This thread motivated me to create an account. I have been a Redskin fan my entire life and I’m 43. I remember the good old days. The bottom line is Kirk Cousins is not the quarterback for the Washington Redskins, Alex Smith is. Therefore I support and will root for Alex Smith. Players may very well tune in to this message board, and if they do I want them to know that I will cheer and respect the men who chose to represent the burgundy and gold. Hail to the Redskins!

Shanwood

• Cheerleader
  •  
  • Shanwood
  • Members
  •  
  • 1 post

Heck of a first post, welcome aboard. #HTTR

On 7/24/2018 at 2:10 PM, Califan007 said:

ESPN article - 50 execs rank starting QBs:

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations.

Tier 1: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes, but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

Tier 2: Ryan, Wilson, Stafford, Rivers, Wentz, Luck, Newton, Carr, Garoppolo, Watson

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter, but needs a heavier running game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume passing offense makes his job easier.

Tier 3: Cousins, Smith, Manning, Prescott, Goff, Winston, Mariota, Dalton, Flacco, Keenum, Taylor, Bortles, Tannehill, Bradford

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside, or a veteran who is ultimately best suited as a backup.

Tier 4: Trubisky, McCown, Mahomes, McCarron

I'll be blunt, Tier 2 is a joke. Luck? when was the last time he played? Newton? Really? Carr is up and down, last year was mostly down. Garappolo and Watson haven't even played a full season. They put Goff in Tier 3 and last year he was better than either, AND played 16 games. Hell, I would say about 1/3 of the "Tier 3" QB's are better than 1/2 of the Tier 2 QB's on this list. In fact the only 2 QB's on Tier 2 that I think are markedly better than anyone on T3 are Ryan, Rivers and maybe Wentz.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:18 PM, wit33 said:

Nah. Most of the T2 guys are really no better than the T3 guys. Imagine guys like Newton, Carr, Watson, Luck, and even Stafford with no defense, no running game and no real weapons on the outside. They are all going to struggle, and might struggle more than guys like Cousins, Smith and Mariota.

Seems like the Skins and Kirk keep taking subliminal (and, on the Skins players' part, not so subliminal, shots at each other):

Q: How do you inject yourself in the offense to be on the same page?

A: Obviously, we have to know the system inside and out. I have to do my due diligence and studying and asking questions. Once I feel I have a good understanding is just to take ownership. Just tell the center specifically what I am looking for on every play, what I need from him and what I want to control myself. Communicate well with the offensive line coach, whoever that is. Just be on the same page and that takes time. I think we are in a good place. I think there is good communication. There is not a lot of egos. Egos can get in the way of being able to get on the same page and have progress. When there is humility and people are willing to listen and defer to one another, I think that can really help.

https://www.vikings.com/news/transcript-defilippo-and-cousins-addressed-the-media-thursday

Archived