Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The biggest game that changed my mind about Alex Smith was the 49ers playoff game against the Saints in 2011.  The 49ers in 2011 were known for their stout defense and running game, however in that game they finally ran into an offense that could score even on the best defenses in the NFL.  That game was pure excitement, it went back and forth and Alex Smith's performance was a huge part of that win.   I had seen him flounder on bad 49ers teams for five or so seasons beforehand. I had also witnessed the 49ers turn around with Frank Gore being a workhorse and the 49ers D shutting teams down.   I figured once the 49ers got to the playoffs Alex Smith would be exposed but instead he showed he had the grit and clutch intangibles.   He also had a pretty good game against the Giants the following week in the NFC Championship in a game that changed completely when the 49ers special teamer fumbled a punt return deep in his own territory near the end of the game.

Not expecting anyone to watch the entire game, but skip to the last 3-4 minutes.  Alex Smith leads the team down the field twice in the playoffs, aided a lot by the great Vernon Davis in his prime.  Watch those few minutes of football and then tell me he doesn't have that DNA.

I actually made a post on this game a while back talking about Alex. I remember watching it and being in awe that Alex was trading blows with Brees because as you said, that was not the 49er's approach going into the game with how good their defense was. The saints exploited it and Smith rose to the occasion for sure. One of the best football games I've ever watched.

1 minute ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I actually made a post on this game a while back talking about Alex. I remember watching it and being in awe that Alex was trading blows with Brees because as you said, that was not the 49er's approach going into the game with how good their defense was. The saints exploited it and Smith rose to the occasion for sure. One of the best football games I've ever watched.

When Jimmy Graham caught that pass at midfield and rumbled all the way to the end zone, I figured GAME OVER.  It was a fantastic game for sure.

Just re-watched those two last drives.  Vernon Davis had, and still does, some wheels.  That WR Swaim could've caught the other deep shot.  Those throws were on the money.  Vernon isn't the aggressive pass catcher like Gronk who attacks the ball, so for Vernon to get YAC the ball's gotta be placed well.  Those were some pretty throws.

I know the 2017 Chief's clearly had better weapons than 2011 49ers, but based on projection...I think the weapons the 2018 Redskins have are also on paper a step above the 2011 49ers.  Alex Smith is going to enjoy the way that Crowder and Reed run routes.

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Fullers next 2 years at less than 1 percent of the salary cap, a 3rd round pick and well over 120M guaranteed cap dollars is what it took to hopefully stabilize the QB position.  To me, you have to include the money wasted on Kirk and take into context Fullers level of play vs. his pay, the draft pick & Alex's salary.

None of that is Alex's fault.  But IMO, that's the type of resource management that will make it very difficult for this team to take the ultimate step. 

That's completely fair 

One of the more tantalizing aspects of all the player movement this offseason is the plethora of promising new connections between passers and pass catchers.

Will any newly acquainted pair of aerial partners join the ranks of prolific duos like Matt Ryan and Julio Jones in Atlanta or Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown in Pittsburgh? After considering the quarterbacks, receivers and tight ends who have changed teams, I've come up with a prediction for the eight most productive new QB-pass catcher connections in 2018:

5) Alex Smith and Josh Doctson, Washington Redskins

We're still waiting for Doctson to break out as he heads into Year 3. But Smith, who was acquired via trade, is a veteran with total command of the game, an accurate thrower who will know how to take advantage of Doctson's ability to make big plays. (Thankfully, Doctson appears to have escaped serious injury when he banged up his shoulder on Wednesday.)

Jamison Crowder should also excel with Smith in town; I figure Crowder will catch upwards of 100 balls this season. But I like Doctson's big-play ability a bit more, and I think he and Smith will light it up together, especially with Smith's ability to throw it deep when he needs to.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000944134/article/predicting-the-most-productive-new-qbpass-catcher-duos

17 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Jamison Crowder should also excel with Smith in town; I figure Crowder will catch upwards of 100 balls this season.

I don't think Smith has ever had a receiver catch 100 passes.  That's a ton.  If we're looking at Crowder's career averages, I think that comes out to around 100 receptions, 1,170 yards, and 6-ish TD's.  If he's that productive while we have Reed, Richardson, Doctson, Guice etc...then this offense moves the chains at a ridiculous rate.

So I'm calling shenanigans on that prediction, otherwise we're the #1 offense in the league.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think Smith has ever had a receiver catch 100 passes.  That's a ton.  If we're looking at Crowder's career averages, I think that comes out to around 100 receptions, 1,170 yards, and 6-ish TD's.  If he's that productive while we have Reed, Richardson, Doctson, Guice etc...then this offense moves the chains at a ridiculous rate.

So I'm calling shenanigans on that prediction, otherwise we're the #1 offense in the league.

Where are you getting those projections?

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Where are you getting those projections?

His career average yards per catch is 11.7, so 100 catches = 1170 yards.  He's got 192 career receptions to 12 career touchdowns.  That's a touchdown every 6.25% of the time he catches the ball.  So 100 catches = just over 6 touchdowns, but we round.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

His career average yards per catch is 11.7, so 100 catches = 1170 yards.  He's got 192 career receptions to 12 career touchdowns.  That's a touchdown every 6.25% of the time he catches the ball.  So 100 catches = just over 6 touchdowns, but we round.

Wow. That's a heap pile of book lernin right there.

You got the above, then you get this......... 

29. Washington Redskins

Projected Week 1 starter: Alex Smith

Backups: Colt McCoy, Kevin Hogan

2018 outlook: Alex Smith is coming off the best season of his career in Kansas City. If he can hop right into the Washington offense, they could be a team to watch. That said, the year could also show just how much of Smith's success came with the help of Andy Reid's scheme.

On 8/1/2018 at 4:48 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Sheehan, he's my fav among the people who cover the team.  I don't always agree but on a lot of what he says I do -- but more importantly to me, he's entertaining.  I think cooley is really good, too but if I had to choose yeah I'd go Sheehan.  Agree Galdi is excellent.  

I loved listening to Galdi's post game shows. No disrespect to CP

On 8/2/2018 at 8:08 PM, Califan007 said:

5) Alex Smith and Josh Doctson, Washington Redskins

We're still waiting for Doctson to break out as he heads into Year 3. But Smith, who was acquired via trade, is a veteran with total command of the game, an accurate thrower who will know how to take advantage of Doctson's ability to make big plays. (Thankfully, Doctson appears to have escaped serious injury when he banged up his shoulder on Wednesday.)

Part of Doctson's inabilities could lie with him and Cousins never being on the same page, for whatever reasons? AX Smith could see things in The Doc's game that Big Cuz miss or they just form a rhythm together that Kirk couldn't while here.  Smith could prove to be the catalyst for Josh having a breakout year?

14 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

You got the above, then you get this......... 

29. Washington Redskins

Projected Week 1 starter: Alex Smith

Backups: Colt McCoy, Kevin Hogan

2018 outlook: Alex Smith is coming off the best season of his career in Kansas City. If he can hop right into the Washington offense, they could be a team to watch. That said, the year could also show just how much of Smith's success came with the help of Andy Reid's scheme.

Really, 29 seems a bit low to me.Smith had a  bit of success before he came to A.Reid’s system.Gruden’s Offense is similar in ways to Reid’s and has been fairly successful in it’s on right.Alex should be able to pick up this offense fairly easy.The Skins have one of the better back ups in league in Colt. Smith is surrounded by some decent weapons. 

12 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

I can say for sure one thing that was frustrating about Kirk's throws was how often he threw behind open Tight Ends & running backs on short routes that felt very routine and "safe" how many times did we see guys having to slow down or stop their route to reach back across their bodies to make the catch.  That is how a potentially big play turns into a minimal game, incompletion, or at worst a turnover. 

On 8/3/2018 at 9:44 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That’s something I’ve wanted to see improve, even when the offense is moving the ball it can seem like they are plodding down the field.  That said, hard to say how much of that was Kirk and how much of it was taking forever to get plays in.  I assume a little of both based on how it appears on TV.

Agreed. I was and still am a Cousins fan but he was way too slow at times. I want to see tempo and push push push. Way too often we didn't even break the huddle until ~15 left on the playclock.

Ashburning: What differences is Alex going to bring to the Offense that nobody has talked about or realized yet?

So, what’s the one area that people don’t talk a lot about with Smith?

How about his mobility?

Okay, so some have brought this up, but I feel that this doesn’t get as much attention as the passing aspect of his game. Smith has averaged 5.1 yards per carry over the past three seasons and has averaged 329 yards and 2.7 touchdowns over that same span. Those are some really good numbers. His mobility goes beyond that as well, as he has good pocket presence, escapability, and is able to make plays with his legs.

https://riggosrag.com/2018/08/07/redskins-mailbag-no-2-corner-critical-wide-receivers-alex-smith-and-more/4/

On 8/5/2018 at 11:41 PM, Tarpon75 said:

Really, 29 seems a bit low to me.Smith had a  bit of success before he came to A.Reid’s system.Gruden’s Offense is similar in ways to Reid’s and has been fairly successful in it’s on right.Alex should be able to pick up this offense fairly easy.The Skins have one of the better back ups in league in Colt. Smith is surrounded by some decent weapons. 

Some of the people they had ahead of them were complete jokes. Even if Alex falls back to his previous numbers, he's somewhere in the middle of the pack. And Colt has been a good backup. This ranking is a joke.

Archived