Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not to mention he's receiving 84M guaranteed in salary no matter what transpires. 

Similar to here, it's all love in Minnesota with their new QB right now as well.

Judging by jersey sales Minny fans are also in a love fest with Kirk, from what I recall Kirk in Minny is outselling Alex jerseys here by far.

Yeah I've been reading and seeing the Kirk love fest going on there.  Not much different from the Alex Smith hype here.  In fairness to both fan bases/media/coaches, etc the new toy whomever it is often feels more exciting -- better, faster, stronger, etc.  That's part of the charm of the off season.

And heck camp typically adds to the hype.  I recall how some were saying RG3 was burning up in camp in 2014 -- later we learned that wasn't so.  The guy I recall smoking out the RG3 camp stuff as overblown hype was Cooley -- I recall him saying he was there and he has no idea what people were seeing because it looked same old same old to him.  Speaking of Cooley, Galdi strongly hinted today that the new management of 980 doesn't want to pay Cooley what he wants so that might end up being the end of his radio stint. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking of Cooley, Galdi strongly hinted today that the new management of 980 doesn't want to pay Cooley what he wants so that might end up being the end of his radio stint. 

I heard him mention "negotiations" being on-going, but I couldn't tell if it was financial. Maybe it's show format related. Who knows..

Cooley is knowledgeable but he wears on me too. The two guys that station needs to make sure they keep are Galdi and Sheehan. I think those two are incredible. It could also be that I just see eye-to-eye with them, but I I think they do a great job. 

Part of me wonders how Alex would be perceived today if he hadn't had so many early struggles in his career. It's rare for players to go from as bad as he was to just sticking around as a backup. Let alone putting up the season he put up last year.

There is a part of me that is drinking the Kool Aid and remembers that after all, Smith was an incredibly heralded prospect with the talent to go #1. Obviously has the incredible smarts which are key for any player sustaining success later at the position. And that being paired with Gruden, along with the growing confidence from last year he could sling it all over the field, might create a situation where we DO see Smith's best ball in the future.

Then the other part thinks it's a lateral step at the position, Alex will have a very efficient season but show more of his 2013-2016 self. I think that still gets us to where we want to go, which is win 10 games and the playoffs. If Alex truly defies the odds we have a chance to be pretty special this year. I'm counting on big things from Guice and this defense and that will pair well with a smart QB who doesn't turn the ball over. Another key difference is the guys definitely have someone they can rally around and believe in which is big in any sport, but especially football.

18 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Part of me wonders how Alex would be perceived today if he hadn't had so many early struggles in his career. It's rare for players to go from as bad as he was to just sticking around as a backup. Let alone putting up the season he put up last year.

There is a part of me that is drinking the Kool Aid and remembers that after all, Smith was an incredibly heralded prospect with the talent to go #1. Obviously has the incredible smarts which are key for any player sustaining success later at the position. And that being paired with Gruden, along with the growing confidence from last year he could sling it all over the field, might create a situation where we DO see Smith's best ball in the future.

Then the other part thinks it's a lateral step at the position, Alex will have a very efficient season but show more of his 2013-2016 self. I think that still gets us to where we want to go, which is win 10 games and the playoffs. If Alex truly defies the odds we have a chance to be pretty special this year. I'm counting on big things from Guice and this defense and that will pair well with a smart QB who doesn't turn the ball over. Another key difference is the guys definitely have someone they can rally around and believe in which is big in any sport, but especially football.

Yeah, I've wondered that too...how much of the Smith perception is based on how he did on a bad 49ers team right off the bat? It is certainly promising that he had the skill set and pedigree to be a 1st overall draft pick. 

What sticks out to me is that you laid out two outcomes...either we've 1) upgraded at QB or 2) maintained the level of play. In either case, we are ahead of the game because we have stability, a more cost effective option, and a stronger team being built around the QB. 

46 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I heard him mention "negotiations" being on-going, but I couldn't tell if it was financial. Maybe it's show format related. Who knows..

Cooley is knowledgeable but he wears on me too. The two guys that station needs to make sure they keep are Galdi and Sheehan. I think those two are incredible. It could also be that I just see eye-to-eye with them, but I I think they do a great job. 

Love Sheehan, he's my fav among the people who cover the team.  I don't always agree but on a lot of what he says I do -- but more importantly to me, he's entertaining.  I think cooley is really good, too but if I had to choose yeah I'd go Sheehan.  Agree Galdi is excellent.  

42 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, I've wondered that too...how much of the Smith perception is based on how he did on a bad 49ers team right off the bat? It is certainly promising that he had the skill set and pedigree to be a 1st overall draft pick. 

I think a lot of it is by the KC fan base and media that covers the dude.  He seems to be considered by most as a good game manager type and also great guy -- but they don't think he has the "it" factor to win big games for KC or take them anywhere in the playoffs.  I frankly haven't paid that much attention to it personally to give my own first hand take of his clutch ability but he really gets hammered for it as to some in KC -- I recall one of the DC beat guys go to a KC media guy in an interview about then how did they win games if he was so poor in the clutch and what was said back was more or less KC can hold some leads they built up but if the game goes down to the wire and you need a big play in a big spot -- Alex isn't the guy that delivers that much like some of the money QBs in the league.   

Finlay talked about it recently where some hyped up Redskins fans see Alex as this clutch dude (assuming so based on his cool-laid back personality) and he goes the guys h 's talked to in KC describe him as the opposite type on that front -- good guy, good player but lacking the "it" factor in the clutch. I haven't paid that much attention to Alex in the clutch to know if that take is fair or unfair. 

But I do think its unfair about Kirk because people recall selective games.   And I think almost every QB fails in selective games -- so as for Alex likewise that criticism might be about just frustration and selective memory that's maybe a bit overplayed.  I guess will see.  

42 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What sticks out to me is that you laid out two outcomes...either we've 1) upgraded at QB or 2) maintained the level of play. In either case, we are ahead of the game because we have stability, a more cost effective option, and a stronger team being built around the QB. 

What's fascinating to me is there is a share of NFL geek types who think Alex is a distinct downgrade from Kirk.  There are some who think he's a distinct upgrade.  Some think it can go either way.

I think it will be fun watch but yeah I can't recall a dynamic where there is so much variance in opinion.  Forgot which national media guy said it but one goes Alex is either the most underrated QB in the NFL or the most overrated depending on who you talk to. 

I gather here based on some responses I get that whenever I throw a criticism I hear about Alex that it's what I secretly believe myself.   But it really isn't.  I am not landing on any position hard on Alex aside from this -- great guy - and as for whether he's an upgrade over Kirk, I don't think he is, I'd go Kirk over Alex.  However, I'd be surprised if one QB is way better than the other.  I suspect it will be close.  Having said that there is so much variance with NFL observers on this subject that anything to me seems possible -- Kirk way better?  Maybe.  Alex way better?  Maybe.  They are about the same?  Maybe, too.  

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What's fascinating to me is there is a share of NFL geek types who think Alex is a distinct downgrade from Kirk.  There are some who think he's a distinct upgrade.  Some think it can go either way.

I think it will be fun watch but yeah I can't recall a dynamic where there is so much variance in opinion.  Forgot which national media guy said it but one goes Alex is either the most underrated QB in the NFL or the most overrated depending on who you talk to.

That's because both Smith and Cousins are being used as proxies by a segment of the media. Both QBs are used by some in the media as representational symbols of what they don't like about the team, often not having anything to do with which QB the Skins chose to roll with. Others in the media use both as symbols of what they don't like about Kirk "You Like That!" Cousins, often not having anything to do with his production or stats.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is a serious, objective question, that's not meant to provoke,

Because I love Alex Smith, and believe he will be great for us, but trying be realistic on how great.

But what does this surrounding Redskins' team have, in a positive sense, that none of his 49ers or Chiefs teams had ?

Wednesday night pizza parties at Jay Gruden's house?

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is a serious, objective question, that's not meant to provoke,

Because I love Alex Smith, and believe he will be great for us, but trying be realistic on how great.

But what does this surrounding Redskins' team have, in a positive sense, that none of his 49ers or Chiefs teams had ?

Funny enough but I think our roster this year is about to resemble exactly what those teams had. Strong Front 7's, good OL, good running game. That's where we were trending with Scott who built much of the roster Harbaugh succeeded with, and luckily it looks like we stayed par to the course. Those are personally my favorite teams to watch. 2005 Redskins come to mind!

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Was that worth Fuller? I guess so but man it sucks he is gone. I would literally be off the wall excited about the defense this year if he were still around.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Edit  

But I do think its unfair about Kirk because people recall selective games.   And I think almost every QB fails in selective games -- so as for Alex likewise that criticism might be about just frustration and selective memory that's maybe a bit overplayed.  I guess will see.  

Not sure its the best metric, but here are the game winning drives for each along with 4th Q comebacks and number of games played. 

Kirk - Games = 60, GWD = 12, 4Q Comebacks = 8 ;  4Q Comebacks with a GWD = 7. He is tied with Matt Cassell and several others for all time GWDs at 115th. 20th among active QBs. 

Alex - Games - 156, GWD = 22, 4th Q Comebacks = 18 - all included a GWD. He is tied for 41st all time and 11th among active players. 

To be honest this does not really tell us much.  If anything you could probably make the argument that Kirk is more clutch with a 20% GWD ratio to Alex's 14%. Having said that, Kirk has had more opportunities per game played since the Redskins D has been **** the entire time he has been here where Alex had some pretty good Ds in front of him most of the time. 

For me I do not see a case for either to be much better or much worse than the other. And that leads to the next point. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I gather here based on some responses I get that whenever I throw a criticism I hear about Alex that it's what I secretly believe myself.   But it really isn't.  I am not landing on any position hard on Alex aside from this -- great guy - and as for whether he's an upgrade over Kirk, I don't think he is, I'd go Kirk over Alex.  However, I'd be surprised if one QB is way better than the other.  I suspect it will be close.  Having said that there is so much variance with NFL observers on this subject that anything to me seems possible -- Kirk way better?  Maybe.  Alex way better?  Maybe.  They are about the same?  Maybe, too.  

I believe both ends of the spectrum are wrong. Both QBs are very god - but not elite. They both have things they do well and other things they don't do very well (not listing them here as they have been beat to death). But overall, in terms of skill set I am not sure there is a lot of separation. That makes the only real thing that separates them is age and games played. Kirk is 4 yrs younger and has been in about 35% of the games Alex has been. 

I would be really surprised if one QB significantly outplays the other. The team results may be much different. But the QB play will be very close.  

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

That's because both Smith and Cousins are being used as proxies by a segment of the media. Both QBs are used by some in the media as representational symbols of what they don't like about the team, often not having anything to do with which QB the Skins chose to roll with. Others in the media use both as symbols of what they don't like about Kirk "You Like That!" Cousins, often not having anything to do with his production or stats.

It seeps into some of the fan base of both teams, too.  If you recall some Chief fans couldn't wait to jump on this board after the trade to tell us what a dud in their eyes Alex is -- and their criticism was almost word for word the slams some have on Kirk -- good not great, will disappoint you in big spots -- its impossible to ever win the big dance with him, need a great supporting cast or forget it.  

To your point, yeah I think there is a limit to what the media thinks the Redskins and or Chiefs are or could be.  It also could be the good but not great stigma can be twisted into something negative when things go south.  Both QBs are different cats but they are also both relatively unassuming nice guys compared to others who play the position  -- so maybe that's part of it.  The irony is both Minny media/fan buzz seem to be eating up Kirk -- and ditto here in DC with Alex and both at the moment are lapping into all the positivity. 

Personally, I am rooting for both guys -- I think both are among the nicer/classier guys in the NFL.  Don't care about what the Vikings do record wise -- but I've had a couple of personal encounters with Kirk that to me doubles down what I thought about him prior.  And I admit I have a bias to anyone who treats my kids really well and Kirk did so on two occasions.   Alex I haven't met -- but the dude doesn't say a bad thing about anyone, big time nice guy, charitable guy,   Scot of all people ironically lumped the two together in an interview before the Redskins acquired Alex -- and Kirk-Alex being two really classy guys.

You got Alex seeing if he can duplicate his career year from 2017 without the mega weapons he had in KC.  And you got Kirk with the narrative hanging over him about what could he do with a stellar supporting cast.  They are both on the spot on those fronts.  And they both (whether warranted or not) need to overcome their critics stigma of being guys you don't want with the ball in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.  

Should be fun to see how it plays out.  Though I admit I am much more fascinated by Guice than Alex but hopefully they both kick butt.  I suspect both QBs shut up their critics.  Will see.   As I've said here, there is one key reason why I don't agree with the Kirk and Alex being apples to apples and heck we did even better since we got him cheaper -- for one reason that's their age.  Personally, i think 30-34 is the golden age for QBs.  34-38 to me is more of a wild card.  And maybe I feel a little burnt by our last two forays with 34 year old QBs -- and in neither case those QBs where what they were at their peak.  But will see. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

To be honest this does not really tell us much.  If anything you could probably make the argument that Kirk is more clutch with a 20% GWD ratio to Alex's 14%. Having said that, Kirk has had more opportunities per game played since the Redskins D has been **** the entire time he has been here where Alex had some pretty good Ds in front of him most of the time. 

I am not personally making the case that Kirk and Alex aren't clutch.  I was saying the critics of both QBs are really really intense on that point.  I flat out said I thought it was unwarranted for Kirk and suspected its unwarranted with Alex.  But nonetheless, the same criticism is leveled at both guys.

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I would be really surprised if one QB significantly outplays the other. The team results may be much different. But the QB play will be very close.  

I've said the same thing on this thread a gazillion times so I am in agreement.  But I still don't see it as a lateral move for one reason -- age. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It seeps into some of the fan base of both teams, too.  If you recall some Chief fans couldn't wait to jump on this board after the trade to tell us what a dud in their eyes Alex is -- and their criticism was almost word for word the slams some have on Kirk -- good not great, will disappoint you in big spots -- its impossible to ever win the big dance with him, need a great supporting cast or forget it.  

To your point, yeah I think there is a limit to what the media thinks the Redskins and or Chiefs are or could be.  It also could be the good but not great stigma can be twisted into something negative when things go south.  Both QBs are different cats but they are also both relatively unassuming nice guys compared to others who play the position  -- so maybe that's part of it.  The irony is both Minny media/fan buzz seem to be eating up Kirk -- and ditto here in DC with Alex and both at the moment are lapping into all the positivity. 

Personally, I am rooting for both guys -- I think both are among the nicer/classier guys in the NFL.  Don't care about what the Vikings do record wise -- but I've had a couple of personal encounters with Kirk that to me doubles down what I thought about him prior.  And I admit I have a bias to anyone who treats my kids really well and Kirk did so on two occasions.   Alex I haven't met -- but the dude doesn't say a bad thing about anyone, big time nice guy, charitable guy,   Scot of all people ironically lumped the two together in an interview before the Redskins acquired Alex -- and Kirk-Alex being two really classy guys.

You got Alex seeing if he can duplicate his career year from 2017 without the mega weapons he had in KC.  And you got Kirk with the narrative hanging over him about what could he do with a stellar supporting cast.  They are both on the spot on those fronts.  And they both (whether warranted or not) need to overcome their critics stigma of being guys you don't want with the ball in the 4th quarter with the game on line.  

Should be fun to see how it plays out.  Though I admit I am much more fascinated by Guice than Alex but hopefully they both kick butt.  I suspect both QBs shut up their critics.  Will see.   As I've said here, there is one key reason why I don't agree with the Kirk and Alex being apples to apples and heck we did even better since we got him cheaper -- for one reason that's their age.  Personally, i think 30-34 is the golden age for QBs.  34-38 to me is more of a wild card.  And maybe I feel a little burnt by our last two forays with 34 year old QBs -- and in neither case those QBs were what they were at their peak.  But will see. 

EDIT: Not sure why the above is shown as a link lol...

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not personally making the case that Kirk and Alex aren't clutch.  I was saying the critics of both QBs are really really intense on that point.  I flat out said I thought it was unwarranted for Kirk and suspected its unwarranted with Alex.  But nonetheless, the same criticism is leveled at both guys.

I was not implying you were making either case. Just throwing some data out there. Should have probably made that clear. I have heard both from both fan bases too. Was looking for some data to look at and thought I would share it. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've said the same thing on this thread a gazillion times so I am in agreement.  But I still don't see it as a lateral move for one reason -- age. 

We both have. :cheers:

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Yeah the reason why to me its almost Shakespearian this Alex-Kirk stuff.  It's like the perfect storm for both for better or worse.

Kirk:  the narrative for those who like him is he overcame a mediocre supporting cast at least in 2017 so imagine him with a really good cast that he doesn't have to carry?  Well, now he has one.   His critics say he can't win the big games.  Well, he's likely going to be on the spot in big games in the playoffs.

Alex:  For those who like him they say he's emerging late in his career and his big year isn't per se about his supporting cast but about his own elevated play.  His critics say he's never really put up big numbers and is a check down Charlie until last year and last year he had the best deep threat in the league -- so good luck duplicating that in DC.

Both are in perfect position to either confirm the praise or fall into what the critics say about them.   In both of their defenses, I'd give them some slack early in the season, its not easy to just master a new system just like that.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah the reason why to me its almost Shakespearian this Alex-Kirk stuff.  It's like the perfect storm for both for better or worse.

Kirk:  the narrative for those who like him is he overcame a mediocre supporting cast at least in 2017 so imagine him with a really good cast that he doesn't have to carry?  Well, now he has one.   His critics say he can't win the big games.  Well, he's likely going to be on the spot in big games in the playoffs.

Alex:  For those who like him they say he's emerging late in his career and his big year isn't per se about his supporting cast but about his own elevated play.  His critics say he's never really put up big numbers and is a check down Charlie until last year and last year he had the best deep threat in the league -- so good luck duplicating that in DC.

Both are in perfect position to either confirm the praise or fall into what the critics say about them.   In both of their defenses, I'd give them some slack early in the season, its not easy to just master a new system just like that.

True, both...and I assume both will do well. Cousins will have more than he did with the Redskins and Smith will have more than Cousins did with the Redskins as well lol...I flip fop as to whether or not I'll keep tabs on Cousins this season. I have my own personal reasons for loathing the Vikings right now and hoping they crash and burn lol...

Anyway, here's the blurb:

The Vikings 1-2 punch is simply unrivaled across the NFL at the moment. Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs are both top notch route runners with exceptional ball skills. Both finished among the top 10 in contested catch rate a season ago with Diggs actually leading the league. Now throw Kendall Wright in the slot – the Bears most productive receiver a season ago – and you have a complete receiving corp. It should be no surprise that the Vikings have signed Diggs to a contract extension, locking him up until 2023.

14 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Was that worth Fuller? I guess so but man it sucks he is gone. I would literally be off the wall excited about the defense this year if he were still around.

I have no idea if it was worth Fuller. I will say that over the past decade I've truly bought into the idea that a good enough DL can make decent DBs look great. So if Fuller is what it took for us to stabilize the QB position, I'm much more comfortable with that philosophy overall. 

53 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I have no idea if it was worth Fuller. I will say that over the past decade I've truly bought into the idea that a good enough DL can make decent DBs look great. So if Fuller is what it took for us to stabilize the QB position, I'm much more comfortable with that philosophy overall. 

Fullers next 2 years at less than 1 percent of the salary cap, a 3rd round pick and well over 120M guaranteed cap dollars is what it took to hopefully stabilize the QB position.  To me, you have to include the money wasted on Kirk and take into context Fullers level of play vs. his pay, the draft pick & Alex's salary.

None of that is Alex's fault.  But IMO, that's the type of resource management that will make it very difficult for this team to take the ultimate step. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But it is SUPERBOWL or Bust...pretty high expectation even with the talent they have. That is all on Kirk in that they made it to within 1 game last year. The Vikes schedule should be harder too given their 2017 record. Alex has no where near the expectations which will let him play looser. The Vikes are a better team than the skins...but a Good season is relative to both

10 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

But it is SUPERBOWL or Bust...pretty high expectation even with the talent they have. That is all on Kirk in that they made it to within 1 game last year. The Vikes schedule should be harder too given their 2017 record. Alex has no where near the expectations which will let him play looser. The Vikes are a better team than the skins...but a Good season is relative to both

Isn’t it Super Bowl or bust for all 32 teams?

The biggest game that changed my mind about Alex Smith was the 49ers playoff game against the Saints in 2011.  The 49ers in 2011 were known for their stout defense and running game, however in that game they finally ran into an offense that could score even on the best defenses in the NFL.  That game was pure excitement, it went back and forth and Alex Smith's performance was a huge part of that win.   I had seen him flounder on bad 49ers teams for five or so seasons beforehand. I had also witnessed the 49ers turn around with Frank Gore being a workhorse and the 49ers D shutting teams down.   I figured once the 49ers got to the playoffs Alex Smith would be exposed but instead he showed he had the grit and clutch intangibles.   He also had a pretty good game against the Giants the following week in the NFC Championship in a game that changed completely when the 49ers special teamer fumbled a punt return deep in his own territory near the end of the game.

Not expecting anyone to watch the entire game, but skip to the last 3-4 minutes.  Alex Smith leads the team down the field twice in the playoffs, aided a lot by the great Vernon Davis in his prime.  Watch those few minutes of football and then tell me he doesn't have that DNA.

46 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I created this thread to focus on Alex Smith.  There is an active Cousins thread in Around the NFL.  Please share your thoughts about Kirk there.

43 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I created this thread to focus on Alex Smith.  There is an active Cousins thread in Around the NFL.  Please share your thoughts about Kirk there.

I responded on this thread to join an evaluation of Alex Smith.  There is an active Cousins thread in Around the NFL - so what.  Please communicate to a moderator if you think my response is out of scope otherwise put me on ignore.

I was up late this morning watching Redskins Training Camp Daily on NBCSW... They had Smith Mic'd up... Dude is happy to be here. He was talking to Richardson after a route, and he was so excited to tell him about how to make the route better. The excitement was that of a teenager talking to his friend about a girl he's talking to.

I've been trying to hide the hype... But dude, after the season ended, I made a list of QBs I wanted and he was at the top.

Then, I see stuff like this:

Di5ELk3U0AAlhaO.jpg:large

DjW1Ol3U0AAoJ89.jpg

... and I think about the movement that he brings and in that same interview, he says that HE is the one asking to run the option more.

I don't know how this will translate to wins, but I know it's going to be kind of cool watching this dude play. Even if he doesn't do better than Kirk, I feel like his floor isn't much lower than Kirk's ceiling.

Archived