Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

56 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Mahomes also had an insanely dumb INT forcing the ball deep where he didn't see the safety, so there's the trade-off. 

49 minutes ago, wit33 said:

A young Favre? 

Risk and Reward. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. Which is why Favre had records for both TD's and INT's. I guess it comes down to how much risk you are willing to be ok with.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Mahomes also had an insanely dumb INT forcing the ball deep where he didn't see the safety, so there's the trade-off. 

Watching him in college was no different. If you watch his Oklahoma game from 2016 you see good Favre then you see bad Jeff George....then you see good Rodgers then you see bad Jay Schroeder. 

45 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Risk and Reward. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. Which is why Favre had records for both TD's and INT's. I guess it comes down to how much risk you are willing to be ok with.

It should be noted that Favre had his best year with Minny while being coached by the best QB coach on the planet. 

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I love Alex Smith, but wow, just tonite this Mahomes ball literally travelled 70 yards in the air from the 25 to the 5, and virtually on the money for the score.

Thats insane lol...easy to see why they decided to take a chance and go with him now instead of waiting (the salary cap issues pushed it as well of course). 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Mahomes under Reid's tutelage will be a good one, but there will be a lot of ups and downs to his play.

Agree.

As for the Mahomes stuff, they obviously fell in love with him in the draft, he didn't just fall to their pick, they traded up for him and paid a steep price.  According to the Chief reporters, their fans are stoked about him.   He's raw but you give the dude the best deep threat in the league, a top 5 TE and one of the best backs in the league -- he should be OK.  The fear about him seems to be about INTs.

Having said that, another guy who can throw the ball really really far with the tweak of a wrist -- RG3.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.

As for the Mahomes stuff, they obviously fell in love with him in the draft, he didn't just fall to their pick, they traded up for him and paid a steep price.  According to the Chief reporters, their fans are stoked about him.   He's raw but you give the dude the best deep threat in the league, a top 5 TE and one of the best backs in the league -- he should be OK.  The fear about him seems to be about INTs.

They will get more INTs, but more TD's out of Mahomes than they are used to.

A 70-yard pass to a receiver that is open by 5 yards waiting and hovering under the ball like a center fielder is not that impressive to me.  Lots of guys have cannons and bomb in the NFL so I don't care about that show me a guy that has a lot of processing power between his ears, that is the guy who will succeed.  I have no opinion about Mahomes, none, just unimpressed with a long throw.

4 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

A 70 yard pass to a receiver that is open by 5 yards and hovering under the ball like a center fielder is not that impressive to me.  Lots of guys have cannons and bomb in the NFL so I don't care about that show me a guy that has a lot of processing power between his ears, that is the guy who will succeed.  I have no opinion about Mahomes, none, just unimpressed with a long throw.

Ryan Fitzpatrick. I’ve heard stories he’s a genius

23 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Wow. I think Alex looked good, but this is really over the top.

Edit: since you seem confused (as per your emogie, or whatever it is here) I bolded a couple things.

Best debut ever in 40 years of watching? Yeah. Over the top.

I think your confused or maybe I’m forgetful. I simply said for the Redskins team I thought that drive which was his first on this team was the best I ever saw from any starting QB making his first appearance here. Who did better to you making his first impression? We’ve had tons of QBs make a first impression since 1980, anyone stand out to you I am forgetting? I wasn’t meaning of all time just on this team

16 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I just find it funny that you have guys (not you) that take a incompletion to a guy that was blanket covered as a great thing, but if the previous QB makes that same throw, they would crucify him for it.

Do you recall the broadcasters in the game say something after that throw about how the team choose Alex over Kirk because Alex would take chances like that and Kirk wouldn’t? 

Kirk didn’t take chances like that very often. It was nice to see such a stark change one game in. In the NFL QBs who take chances is needed. For a first impression that stood out not only to me but the broadcasters as well

15 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

A 70-yard pass to a receiver that is open by 5 yards waiting and hovering under the ball like a center fielder is not that impressive to me.  Lots of guys have cannons and bomb in the NFL so I don't care about that show me a guy that has a lot of processing power between his ears, that is the guy who will succeed.  I have no opinion about Mahomes, none, just unimpressed with a long throw.

It  may not prove he's a great QB, but it shows they will have success as long as HIll is there.

Because that 5 yard opening is probably going to happen a lot with Hill's speed.

Hill had 3 guys covering him. Or should I say 3 following, or trying to cover him, because none of them could keep up with him,

17 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Well well said. That’s what I saw from Alex that drive which left me the impression I took away. He showed poise in the pocket, game wasn’t too fast for him, and the ability to adjust his thinking on the fly. Patrick’s throw was impressive but those plays are few and far between the 60 minute clock. It takes someone doing that all game like Brady had done to overshadow a one time throw to me

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

Every GM in the NFL was impressed with the throw. To each their own.

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

True...60+ yds in the air and hit perfectly in stride, no doubt could have hit it for another 5-10:

RGIII5.gif

Sad thing about RG3 was he was an athletic freak -- not just his legs but arm.    But if you aren't hot reading defenses and struggle with vision that will do you in.

20 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I think your confused or maybe I’m forgetful. I simply said for the Redskins team I thought that drive which was his first on this team was the best I ever saw from any starting QB making his first appearance here. Who did better to you making his first impression? We’ve had tons of QBs make a first impression since 1980, anyone stand out to you I am forgetting? I wasn’t meaning of all time just on this team

I already mentioned one. RGIII had a better debut, and basically, he was the last guy to do so. And when you say some one has the best debut in like 40 years, it really has to bee good. It was decent, 4-6, and one nice throw under pressure. But otherwise it was ok.

20 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Do you recall the broadcasters in the game say something after that throw about how the team choose Alex over Kirk because Alex would take chances like that and Kirk wouldn’t? 

Kirk didn’t take chances like that very often. It was nice to see such a stark change one game in. In the NFL QBs who take chances is needed. For a first impression that stood out not only to me but the broadcasters as well

Nope. Didn't hear that at all. In fact, the M.O. on Smith is the complete opposite. He's careful, he DOESN'T take a lot of chance, which is why he is always at the bottom of the league in INT, but also doesn't throw a lot of TD's. Kirk takes a lot more chances, which is why he throws more TD's and INT's. Kirk is more of a gunslinger, Alex is safe and efficient. You literally have them backwards.

20 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Maybe you should watch the throw again. Because the bolded part is just wrong. He slowed up for one step, and he might be one yard past the DB's who he only just ran past. Seriously, if you can't see that, you're either blind, or you're just a hater. Don't be a hater because he's got a cannon.

Archived