Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

Watching Alex play is very frustrating I admit but if that's what creates a win I dont care.

Which stats would you prefer the ones on the left with a win or the ones on the right with a loss?

It's a team sport and if this is what we have to do to win I'll take it.

Screenshot_20181029-085418_Chrome.jpg

^ and yet another reason for why the QBR stat.. while perhaps being the best we got.. is still flawed. 

They are ALL still a TEAM stat, imo. For a QB to gain pass yds and TDs.. they need to throw to players while getting blocks up front. RBs need blockers up front and outside. CBs need pass rush and opposing QB stupidity for INTs. LBs need lanes and help up front for stats. 

They all need others to perform for their "individual" stats. All the stats are team-based for a team game. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Yo if that's true it changes everything for me. If we didnt draft or cant draft a rookie cause he demands it then I really really dont like this dude at all. Wtf

It’s all about context. 

Alex:  I want to be the guy. I want your commitment to me. I want your promise not to draft a rookie high as I don’t want to go through that **** again. I am tired of it. 

Alex:  let me know if you plan to draft someone this year. I would really like to build something. It is difficult to do that if guys know I am temporary.  I know there are no guarantees. I am just asking for a chance to build something special.  

38 minutes ago, dckey said:

The issue I have more with our passing game is why are we not able to gain any YAC we are 28th only ahead of DAL SEA ARI BUF.  We throw a slant pass and the WR is automatically tackled.  There is no separation, this is the difference in great offenses and avg ones.  The Steelers and Chiefs lead this stat.  In order for us to improve this is where we need to help Alex out.

I put a lot of this on Smith for inconsistency with his accuracy on the throws, and him holding the ball too long.   

Even tempering expectations for him to air it out,  he's got to give guys an opportunity to catch the ball and execute the design of the plays.  If he does that,  with this running game,  we could have the opportunity to at least have a decent passing offense.   

3 minutes ago, megared said:

I put a lot of this on Smith for inconsistency with his accuracy on the throws, and him holding the ball too long.   

Even tempering expectations for him to air it out,  he's got to give guys an opportunity to catch the ball and execute the design of the plays.  If he does that,  with this running game,  we could have the opportunity to at least have a decent passing offense.   

How much is on Alex, and how much is on the play design?  How many screens did we run yesterday?  How many times is the intermediate pass going to be designed with the receiver running TOWARD the sideline?  Why are we not designing more plays to get Thompson / Bibbs out in the flat in space... the way the Giants do with Barkley?   Alex has his fair share, but i do wonder how much is the playcall and the read within the offense.... 

1 minute ago, megared said:

I'v noticed this too and the first few weeks i attributed this to either his lack of skill or unfamiliar with out offense and players. But now I'm not so sure. I think there is a conscious effort between QB and Coach to play as conservative as possible and not take any chances( ie looking for the safest throw). Some of these throws i see Alex attempt that are wayyyy off make me wonder is he purposely putting them in places where they have no chance of being intercepted ? I hope this is the case.

To Your second point of giving the guys a opportunity to catch the ball goes to my first point of Alex playing conservatively.  I'm not so sure we are going to win more games with a vastly improved passing game as crazy as that sounds. With a QB who slings the ball around squeezing it into tight windows comes the opportunity for more turnovers, just sayin. I feel like this, we are 5-2 and winning games just leave it alone. If we were 2-5, i would be all for changing things up. 

34 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Well my M/O with Alex Smith has been pretty much the same every week. During the game im cursing him to hell , yelling at the TV what a **** QB he is . Then after we win I spend the rest of the week defending him praising the way he protects the football and runs our ball control offense like the masterful bus driver he is. lol

Hey come on, you have to at least respect my honesty....

This is fair.  I actually asked this question above, if folks that don’t like the criticism, actually get angry during real time, and forgive and forget after a win.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'll speak for me because it's tough to speak for others. I'm not trying to sell his play. He's been blah to bad. What I am trying to sell is winning. I'm trying my darndest to enjoy the forest. After living in the desert for twenty-five years, I don't care about a few scraggly trees. There's water, food, and materials to build a house here! Better, if you guys will be a little more Charlie Brown and a little less Peanuts maybe you'll discover that it can become "A pretty good tree after all."

Yeah, it's easy to ****. It's easy to complain about what's not right. It's also okay to focus on the positives. Alex Smith converted about three sacks to 2 yard gains. He stopped the linebacker from scoring a touchdown. He converted that opening turnover into a touchdown and led at least two more scoring drives that got submarined by a missed easy kick and fluky fumble. He had three well-thrown first down passes flat out dropped. Sure, he ain't Jeff George pretty, but stop and smell the forest.

I get that but why do you think you need to sell winning?  I don't think people are upset about winning.  You just got run of the mill praise and criticism.  I've been on different team boards, same stuff there. Different opinions converging on different things.    We like this, we don't like that.  

I've picked them to win every game but one this year.  I predicted them to win after both losses and advised to chill lets see what happens next.  I practically have a shrine cooking for Peterson on a thread.  Complementing to death the D line.  I argued on the in effect the fire Jay thread why I think he's fine and people should give him a break. But if people are arguing otherwise.  OK.  I'll debate them but it doesn't effect my mood about the team.

To each their own but I don't see how other people's takes about players effects my happiness or not about the team.  People could trash Jay even though i like him.  National guys can say Peterson is a has been (albeit before the season). Even though I felt differently.  It makes no impact on my joy or lack thereof about the team.  If I want to tap into my inner Charlie Brown, I can do it irrespective of what other people post.

1 minute ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I'v noticed this too and the first few weeks i attributed this to either his lack of skill or unfamiliar with out offense and players. But now I'm not so sure. I think there is a conscious effort between QB and Coach to play as conservative as possible and not take any chances( ie looking for the safest throw). Some of these throws i see Alex attempt that are wayyyy off make me wonder is he purposely putting them in places where they have no chance of being intercepted ? I hope this is the case.

To Your second point of giving the guys a opportunity to catch the ball goes to my first point of Alex playing conservatively.  I'm not so sure we are going to win more games with a vastly improved passing game as crazy as that sounds. With a QB who slings the ball around squeezing it into tight windows comes the opportunity for more turnovers, just sayin. I feel like this, we are 5-2 and winning games just leave it alone. If we were 2-5, i would be all for changing things up. 

Alex was asked and his response was "I know sometimes I'm missing, but sometimes I'm missing in a certain spot."  

Now I take that with a grain of salt because he had a throw that was so bad yesterday he turned the SAFETY around.  That can't have been intentional... I do however think there are a lot of throws he makes that are the kind of thought process of only putting the ball where your player can catch it, or nobody can.   He did put the ball in some tight windows yesterday, I want to say there was a throw to Doc yesterday where he was blanketed and Smith still put it on his hands for about a 5-7 yard completion and a first down.  

41 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Well my M/O with Alex Smith has been pretty much the same every week. During the game im cursing him to hell , yelling at the TV what a **** QB he is . Then after we win I spend the rest of the week defending him praising the way he protects the football and runs our ball control offense like the masterful bus driver he is. lol

Hey come on, you have to at least respect my honesty....

You are my spirit animal apparently 

15 minutes ago, megared said:

I don't see this as the problem, outside of Richardson no one gets separation, look at every slant that Doctson caught he went down right away.  Why are we running Mo Harris on Jet sweeps is that really scaring anyone?  Look at the slant routes with other teams and watch how much separation the DB is from the WR.  I think Alex holds the ball to long because he is waiting on that separation, which is his fault also sometimes your not going to get that and you just have to let it go.  This is what Kirk was good at. 

31 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It’s all about context. 

Alex:  I want to be the guy. I want your commitment to me. I want your promise not to draft a rookie high as I don’t want to go through that **** again. I am tired of it. 

Alex:  let me know if you plan to draft someone this year. I would really like to build something. It is difficult to do that if guys know I am temporary.  I know there are no guarantees. I am just asking for a chance to build something special.  

That would be a total failure on the Skins part to go along with some bull**** like that. You dont bring a guy in here with a guarantee he will start until hes ready to sit. That's complete bull****. 

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

That would be a total failure on the Skins part to go along with some bull**** like that. You dont bring a guy in here with a guarantee he will start until hes ready to sit. That's complete bull****. 

That seems completely out of character for Smith, also.

He has stated many times over the years.. something to the effect of "no job is safe, and you have to go out every week and prove that you deserve the role."

Once he got that 71 mil guaranteed in his contract, they could do whatever they want.. bring in whomever they want. 

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I have to assume you either did not read the entire comment or chose to ignore it, or did not get my meaning - I will assume the last and take full blame. I may not have worded it properly. 

I am virtually certain that any conversation that was had would be much more along the lines of example two - a humble guy who wants to know the teams plans so he can make the best decision for his family. Which BTW is anything but bull****. Would you want to take a job knowing you were 100% temporary and that the entire plan was to replace you as soon as possible? He is still a human being with a family to take care of. 

Let me add there is also a difference in asking them to give him a chance to be that guy - meaning give me the year - and the extrapolation you are making that he wants to be the starter until he is ready to sit down. Not sure where you are getting that. As a few others have said, that would be 100% out of character for Alex. And there is nothing to support that at all. 

So if any conversation was "I would like to know your plan/vision for me, the QB long term, and the team long term goals for the team." That is 100% legit. He gets to make the best decision for him and his family and he needs to know what their plans are for him. But that does not mean he has the job till he is ready to give it up. Again, not sure where that is coming from. It's performance based. If he performs, then he keeps the job. If he doesn't then they find someone else and on their schedule not his. He is a big boy. He knows that. 

Right now he could certainly be doing better. But it's not as bad as some are making. You need to give him at least this year. The off-season is a whole new ballgame. 

8 hours ago, -JB- said:

Trust me, there are way worse options out there.  The formula works.  Pound the rock, play great defense and don’t turn the ball over.  By not turning the ball over at a high clip and letting Tress Way punt his ass off.  Keep teams on the wrong end of the field.  These aren’t excuses for Alex smith.  We knew who he was when he got here.  It doesn’t bother me because we have some long drives that eat clock and wear defenses down.  Then play great defense when they get the ball and then get their defense back out onto the field.  

The formula works to a point. It will be interesting to see how it will work against a really good offense like Atlanta. Cause we are not holding them to 13 points. They are going to put some points on the board. 

Anyone else agree, that it appeared that Alex got the memo about trusting his covered WR's. He threw into some tight coverage early on yesterday, and we dodged an early INT as a result.  I would love to see a slow motion gif of that duck he completed to Josh.  The deep ball behind the deep safety was odd.  He has had some ugly throws, but somehow he gets the job done. The margin between winning and losing is thin, and he seems to favor not losing and playing it cool, vs pressing for wins. I noticed Kirk gave up a pick 6 yesterday in a loss.  

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Anyone else agree, that it appeared that Alex got the memo about trusting his covered WR's. He threw into some tight coverage early on yesterday, and we dodged an early INT as a result.  I would love to see a slow motion gif of that duck he completed to Josh.  The deep ball behind the deep safety was odd.  He has had some ugly throws, but somehow he gets the job done. The margin between winning and losing is thin, and he seems to favor not losing and playing it cool, vs pressing for wins. I noticed Kirk gave up a pick 6 yesterday in a loss.  

Regarding that near int/jump ball to Richardson:

I say this as a fan of Richardson, but I can think of at least a dozen WR1s in this league that snag that ball away from the safety and turn it upfield for a big gainer.

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I say this as a fan of Richardson, but I can think of at least a dozen WR1s in this league that snag that ball away from the safety and turn it upfield for a big gainer.

Yeah, I am thinking that's not one of Richardson's strongest assets/routes. But I do think he was brought in here to do more than be a deep threat and Alex was firing away yesterday, giving him a chance to make a play. Listed at 6'0 180, means he is probably more like 5'11... so I don't expect much of the sticky mitts taking balls away stuff in his game. He's a burner and that may end up his niche here. 

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

eh, I don't think he had much chance, but I'd bet Smith expected a different route evolution from PRich that.. just didn't happen. It was like that other big play they made not long ago. First, the S made an unexpected decision. Aside from this, and like that other successful play.. PRich was not inside like he was on the successful one. I'm probably not being eloquent with this, but you can probably patch it together. ? 

28 minutes ago, Alexa said:

The formula works to a point. It will be interesting to see how it will work against a really good offense like Atlanta. Cause we are not holding them to 13 points. They are going to put some points on the board. 

We've seen this with the Saints and to a lesser degree the Colts.  

16 hours ago, Destino said:

I'm just trying to shake these 2008 flashbacks.  The running game fell apart in the second half of the season and the offense fell off a cliff.  They followed a 6-2 start with a 2-6 finish.  Washington's defense averaged just 18.5 points allowed per game that season, but the offense failed to scored 15 points or less in 6 of their last 9 games.  Total offensive collapse.

2008 was the first year of Jim Zorn. I have called Jay Gruden many things, but Jim Zorn has not been one of them. We'll come out of this better than in 2008.

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

eh, I don't think he had much chance, but I'd bet Smith expected a different route evolution from PRich that.. just didn't happen. It was like that other big play they made not long ago. First, the S made an unexpected decision. Aside from this, and like that other successful play.. PRich was not inside like he was on the successful one. I'm probably not being eloquent with this, but you can probably patch it together. ? 

Who knows but Alex himself said that the completed TD to Richardson earlier this season, he threw it to the wrong place and Richardson adjusted.  I like Alex's honesty.  So will see if he talks about yesterday's play on the Alex report tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Missing wide open receivers like Richardson yesterday is perfect QB for that team?

If not for that bummer Giants' DB that would have been an INT...

Again with the style points nonsense. Was it an INT? Nope not  at all. Was it this? 

Nope sure wasn't. And you know what? If Alex threw that ball it would have cost the Redskins the game too. But he didn't. And if that's winning some kinda argument against Alex Smith what is it your asking for? For him to throw garbage passes and cost the Redskins the games like Kirk did here all the time? You Kirk truthers should go check out what the Vikings fans are saying today about that guy. Or let me save you the time, you know the same messages said about Kirk here. Same pooh different toilet. 

Oh and while I interrupt your complaining about Alex Smith lets remember something else I forgot to mention in the post you pulled that from. 

Alex Smith has already beaten more NFC East teams then Kirk did here last season. Last season this team was 1-5 in the NFC East. This year the Redskins bested that after only 2 games.

Again I ask with results like this what in the blue hell are you guys upset about?

Nothing is perfect but do try and act like you have been here before and recognize when this teams successful. These are rare moments to enjoy. If you can't enjoy it when the team is beating the odds I wonder if some of you could and would ever enjoy follow this team? If your answer to that is no then why bother with something you can't get any pleasure from? That's illogical to me. Enjoy the ride :cheers:

Archived