Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

I am a homer. Of course I am. That’s what a sports fan is I thought. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe being a sports fan is sitting around spitting vitriol at the organization you pretend to support. The GM sucks, the coach is a bum, our 5-2 starting quarterback is not as good as the 7-9 guy he replaced. Alex Smith is not Drew Brees. Everyone knows this. He is a smart player that limits his mistakes, Leads drives that eat the clock, and wins games. I haven’t been this optimistic about a season in years. At this stage we have a high probability of winning the division. I plan on enjoying it while I can. Tomorrow I’ll wear my cap with pride. Beating the giants makes me happy. 

5 hours ago, Alexa said:

Alex Smith sucks. There really isn't much more to say. They'll keep trotting his ass out there cause there is no way the Redskins want to admit a 70 plus million dollar mistake. But that is what he is. 

Trust me, there are way worse options out there.  The formula works.  Pound the rock, play great defense and don’t turn the ball over.  By not turning the ball over at a high clip and letting Tress Way punt his ass off.  Keep teams on the wrong end of the field.  These aren’t excuses for Alex smith.  We knew who he was when he got here.  It doesn’t bother me because we have some long drives that eat clock and wear defenses down.  Then play great defense when they get the ball and then get their defense back out onto the field.  

5 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Trust me, there are way worse options out there.  The formula works.  Pound the rock, play great defense and don’t turn the ball over.  By not turning the ball over at a high clip and letting stress Way punt his ass off.  Keep teams on the wrong end of the field.  These aren’t excuses for Alex smith.  We knew who he was when he got here.  It doesn’t bother me because we have some long drives that eat clock and wear defenses down.  Then play great defense when they get the ball and then get their defense back out onto the field.  

You make a great point. The team is winning the field position game most of the time.  The other teams are having to go the length of the field almost every drive.  Is that did to Alex?  Only to the extent he is not turning it over.  The STs have been widely overlooked.  

As for Alex, people need to have some patience.  In the meantime the team is 5-2.  At the midway point of the season no matter happens next week we will be in 1st place. I could care less how we got here. 

The good old news is that once Alex and the passing get a bit more settled this will be a very competitive team.  He is starting to develop some rapport with doctson. He was already getting. Together with Richardson. It’s s process. 

In in the meantime the coaches are doing a hell of a job. Yes even Jay.  Making good use of who he has. I will go into detail on holiday thread. But just making that point here.  

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Trust me, there are way worse options out there.  The formula works.  Pound the rock, play great defense and don’t turn the ball over.  By not turning the ball over at a high clip and letting stress Way punt his ass off.  Keep teams on the wrong end of the field.  These aren’t excuses for Alex smith.  We knew who he was when he got here.  It doesn’t bother me because we have some long drives that eat clock and wear defenses down.  Then play great defense when they get the ball and then get their defense back out onto the field.  

This, plus let's not forget that we're moving the ball. We had some long drives that were stopped because of penalties, drops, bad throws and bad runs, but that doesn't change that we had the drives and consumed the clock. I mean we were 6/15 in 3rd down, vs 2/14, had more total yards than them (a lot more before that last drive), more plays before that last drive. This is just football, and what outdoor football will look like in December when it's snowing outside. Hopefully we're preparing for the playoffs. 

But if (and I keep saying if) we make a few of those third down throws too extend drives a little more or a few of those big plays, this team can contend with anybody

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

The good old news is that once Alex and the passing get a bit more settled this will be a very competitive team.  He is starting to develop some rapport with doctson. He was already getting. Together with Richardson. It’s s process. 

I agree on the growing relationship with Doctson. That's good to see.

But at the same time we've been fed with how the relationship with Vernon Davis didn't lost a step... So far Davis has 10 receptions in 7 games. That's not much. I would have expected it to be much better at this point of the season.

Deep down, all of us who have been around for a minute know this is 2005 all over again.  This is fun.  During the regular season anyway.  But it will come to an end when (if?) we get to the postseason, if (when?) we have to play a legit good team like a healthy Saints or Rams.  Alex Smith = Mark Brunell.  He's not any good and anyone trying to say otherwise is lying to themselves.  He's one of the least dynamic players at the position in the league and we'd be better off with any of about 20 other starting QBs around the NFL.  But the defense and running game are kicking ass right now and our OL is still in the tail end of it's prime and our division opponents are struggling and our schedule is very soft.  Our offense is awful.  It's being propped up by a 33 year old running back who dislocated his shoulder less than a month ago.  He's not 2005 Portis either.  He's a HoFer and he's running for positioning among the all time greats, but he'll wear down.  Our offense has no upside.  There is no hidden value that can rescue us later on.

I'm enjoying this and I'm rooting like Hell that we get on some team of destiny trip and the better teams like the Saints and Rams suffer injuries that derail them and pave the way for us.  But it is impossible to forget that this team has a low ceiling because our offense is not any good and can't come from behind.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

But at the same time we've been fed with how the relationship with Vernon Davis didn't lost a step... So far Davis has 10 receptions in 7 games. That's not much. I would have expected it to be much better at this point of the season.

agreed...easing him in at least 1 target per quarter...= 28 targets and twice as many receptions... n VD has been blockin better than he had

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Deep down, all of us who have been around for a minute know this is 2005 all over again.  This is fun.  During the regular season anyway.  But it will come to an end when (if?) we get to the postseason, if (when?) we have to play a legit good team like a healthy Saints or Rams.  Alex Smith = Mark Brunell.  He's not any good and anyone trying to say otherwise is lying to themselves.  He's one of the least dynamic players at the position in the league and we'd be better off with any of about 20 other starting QBs around the NFL.  But the defense and running game are kicking ass right now and our OL is still in the tail end of it's prime and our division opponents are struggling and our schedule is very soft.  Our offense is awful.  It's being propped up by a 33 year old running back who dislocated his shoulder less than a month ago.  He's not 2005 Portis either.  He's a HoFer and he's running for positioning among the all time greats, but he'll wear down.  Our offense has no upside.  There is no hidden value that can rescue us later on.

I'm enjoying this and I'm rooting like Hell that we get on some team of destiny trip and the better teams like the Saints and Rams suffer injuries that derail them and pave the way for us.  But it is impossible to forget that this team has a low ceiling because our offense is not any good and can't come from behind.

yes but in 87' it was the giants, 49ers, bears, browns or broncos who were gonna win it...

22 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

If we are keep dwelling on the political bs from Bruce, Dan and the team in general we will never get anywhere.  They were trying to cover thier **** up with Kirk. For me it’s time to move on. We all knew it was bull**** then. This should not be a surprise to anyone.  

Davis is not and should not be the focus of the offense.  In the end while there is s lot of room to improve they are playing ball possession football. They will eventually lose. But that is is not itself some indictment. 

It’s interesting that people have been so pissed at jay for not being flexible and using who he has and playing into their strengths. Like committing to the run. Now that he is doing just that people don’t like the very type game they were asking for.  

We are 5-2. Let’s keep it going.  

4 hours ago, Shanwood said:

When it’s working, we build a lead and run out the clock. This dude named Bill Parcells was quite fond of this strategy, and won a lot of games as well

Fantastic. I was so excited with the win I listened to the new Prince and Madonna albums all the way home. Oh wait, it’s not 1985 anymore.

What Parcells did 20-30 years ago is irrelevant. This type of play is not sustainable especially in the postseason when we will go up against the better offenses and QBs in the conference. 

47 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Fantastic. I was so excited with the win I listened to the new Prince and Madonna albums all the way home. Oh wait, it’s not 1985 anymore.

What Parcells did 20-30 years ago is irrelevant. This type of play is not sustainable especially in the postseason when we will go up against the better offenses and QBs in the conference. 

The 2015 Denver Broncos would like to have a chat. Manning was playing below the level Alex is right now. And so we don;t have to have the discussion that Alex is not Peyton - of course he is not. Again, in 2015 he was was worse than Alex. Less than 60% comp, 9 TD to 17 Ints in just 9 games started. See below. 

Of course, can't say our D is at the level of the Broncos. Just making the point that while the rules favor a wide open game, it is indeed possible to win with that 1980's ground and pound O with a dominating D. An overlooked fact right now is that our STs in playing very well. 

Alex must play better. No doubt. But there is more than one way to win. 

image.png.c9352f9ddcea9bcfa905a85a40322487.png

7 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

Neither team is what it was last year.  The Vikings Defense is not even close to as good as it was and it's running game has dropped off as well.  The Redskins have the best defensive production in more than a decade this year and the best running game they have had is six years.  Last year, the Redskins, basically a MASH unit, lost despite their QB, who had to carry the team.  This year, the Redskins are winning despite their QB.  

Questions? 

I do wonder if turnovers and a commitment to running the ball correlate here at all. 

Again I'm not saying Alex is helping us in any area at all. But I do wonder if the defense is more rested, or under less fire, because we hold possession of the ball much longer, and I do wonder if that has anything to do with us holding on to the ball during the game. 

I noticed Minnys run attempts, when they were eating up yardage in the first half, dropped to nothing in the second when they fell in love with all those beautiful ass throws Kirk was making. I wonder if that's what we are seeing. A non commitment to the run, resulting in less yardage, less TOP, more turnovers and a tired D. 

Dont know. Not trying to argue. Just wondering if anyone thinks the same and if not change my mind. 

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Burgold Coincidentally, that was his only stipulation for signing here, that we didn’t draft a QB.

Yo if that's true it changes everything for me. If we didnt draft or cant draft a rookie cause he demands it then I really really dont like this dude at all. Wtf

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Yo if that's true it changes everything for me. If we didnt draft or cant draft a rookie cause he demands it then I really really dont like this dude at all. Wtf

Obviously he’s never said that but it was said quite a bit around the time the trade happened.  That said, I don’t blame him.  He used his leverage to get what he wanted.  Given how his career has gone thus far in each stop, I can see why he’d like to play a season without someone breathing down his neck.  My point was his best season where he pushed the ball more, was when Mahomes was waiting in the wings.

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I don't believe that this was ever verified by anything other than some forum member's speculation and "inside hearsay." 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

It’s interesting that people have been so pissed at jay for not being flexible and using who he has and playing into their strengths. Like committing to the run. Now that he is doing just that people don’t like the very type game they were asking for.  

Only speaking for self here, but I love that they are pushing for balance. What I don't love at all.. are all the Shotgun formation runs.. particularly on short yardage situations. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I’m certainly not one of them.  I commend him for being 5-2 given the play of his QB.  I’m probably more impressed with him than ever.  While the emphasis is on the run, he’s still dialing up pass plays every single week that if hit make these close games not so close.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Obviously he’s never said that but it was said quite a bit around the time the trade happened.  That said, I don’t blame him.  He used his leverage to get what he wanted.  Given how his career has gone thus far in each stop, I can see why he’d like to play a season without someone breathing down his neck.  My point was his best season where he pushed the ball more, was when Mahomes was waiting in the wings.

The way you said that before was super misleading. If he didnt say it you shouldn't say he did. I was ready to believe you

Maybe we should look at it this way -- Alex Smith is the caretaker of the team.  He's tough, safe, somewhat predictable, but doesn't turn the ball over much.  He also has a calm, leadership quality that his teammates respond to.  So, while he's at the helm we have the young studs on the defense potentially changing the culture and attitude of the team and potentially the organization (that will be tough I know).  So, while I don't see this team doing anything truly spectacular with him at QB he could be the one the helps "right the ship" and puts it on a good course for the future.  

QB A: 129/202, 63.9 Completion %, 1426 Yards, 7 TD, 0 INT, 96.3 Passer Rating, 7.75 AY/A, Record 5-2

QB B: 132/206, 64.1 Completion %, 1465 Yards, 7 TD. 3 INT, 90.4 Passer Rating, 7.14 AY/A, Record 2-4

QB C 144/228, 63.2 Completion %, 1561 Yards, 8 TD, 2 INT, 91.3 Passer Rating, 7.31 AY/A, Record 5-2

QB A is Jason Campbell from 2008.  QB B is Mark Brunell from 2006.  And C is Smith this year. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m certainly not one of them.  I commend him for being 5-2 given the play of his QB.  I’m probably more impressed with him than ever.  While the emphasis is on the run, he’s still dialing up pass plays every single week that if hit make these close games not so close.

Yea, wasn't directed at you. Just a continuation. 

I want Alex to start hitting some of these plays also. But I am just really impressed that Jay has stayed disciplined and is running the ball more often. In terms of play calling, I do wish he would make a little more use of play action on 1st down. But overall, he playing to the teams strengths. 

The "hearsay" about Alex's agent being promised they wouldn't draft a QB high in the last draft was from Cooley-Sheehan who worked in that building.  They didn't throw a lot of stuff against the wall - what they say typically ends up true.  But who knows.

As for the Browns perspective, which plays into the above point.  Though, I'll say yeah I'd presume he'd want to play with the Redskins over the Browns.  The Browns were easily the worst team in the NFL.  Now if the choices was between Jax and the Redskins or a series of other teams that would be a more interesting choice.

https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/02/cleveland_browns_what_happened.html

4. Smith made it clear he was not interested in being "a bridge quarterback," having the starting job for a year or two and mentoring a younger player to be his replacement. 

6. Smith had a year left on his contract. He wanted a new multi-year deal where he'd be paid like an elite QB. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Smith will sign a four-year deal with $70 million guaranteed. Full value is $94 million.

7. One executive told me that it's probably closer to $50 million guaranteed. The $70 million is in case of a major injury.

8. I heard the Browns weren't anxious to make a long-term commitment to Smith because they still are strongly leaning toward taking a rookie quarterback at No. 1.

9. Smith made it clear in an interview on the Dan Patrick Show that he had little interest in the Browns. He couldn't believe they had a 1-31 record in the last two seasons.

10. The Browns also were not anxious to trade one of their top young players as part of a package for Smith. They want to add talent and use draft picks in trades and on draft day to do just that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-offered-second-not-big-210402298.html

According to Pat McManamon of ESPN.com, the Browns offered the Chiefs a second-round pick for Smith, but weren’t prepared to meet his contract demands.

Washington gave Smith a new four-year, $94 million deal as part of the trade. They sent Kansas City a third-round pick and cornerback Kendall Fuller for the privilege of doing so.

The Browns have three second-rounders in this year’s draft — their own (33rd), Houston’s (35th) and Philadelphia’s (either 63rd or 64th). And while one of the first two would have been enticing for the Chiefs, Fuller was enough to tip the scales.

The fact they didn’t want to extend Smith also points to the reality (or cements it) that they are going to use the first pick in the draft on a quarterback, and they didn’t want to invest so heavily in Smith just to put him on the same kind of shot clock the Chiefs did on when they picked Patrick Mahomes in the first round last year.

That probably points the Browns back toward a lesser grade of bridge quarterback to go with the inevitable pick.

52 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I do wonder if turnovers and a commitment to running the ball correlate here at all. 

Again I'm not saying Alex is helping us in any area at all. But I do wonder if the defense is more rested, or under less fire, because we hold possession of the ball much longer, and I do wonder if that has anything to do with us holding on to the ball during the game. 

I noticed Minnys run attempts, when they were eating up yardage in the first half, dropped to nothing in the second when they fell in love with all those beautiful ass throws Kirk was making. I wonder if that's what we are seeing. A non commitment to the run, resulting in less yardage, less TOP, more turnovers and a tired D. 

Dont know. Not trying to argue. Just wondering if anyone thinks the same and if not change my mind. 

This right here is what I have been saying all along.  Here is a quote from Cousins, which shows his mindset.  It was also stated last night on the game by the announcers that Murray stated that the run game has gotten better because they are attempting more the last couple of weeks.

"I've always said that the run game is going to be an easier way to move the football when it comes to less risk," Cousins said. "Any time we can get the run game going and have explosive runs that's always preferred, especially in the second half there when we got a three-score lead and we were trying to churn clock. So any time we get that going we're going to try, but it's tough to stay patient at times. You have a second-and-short, you run the ball and you lose a couple yards, now it's third-and-4, and you're back to your dropback game and you're thinking, 'Why did we run on second down?' It's that balance of trying to be patient and run the ball, but also not wasting plays."

Archived