Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Kirk Cousins handed a Super Bowl ready team is producing beautiful stats, but his team is 4-3-1.

Alex Smith is handed a 7-9 team and produces ugly stats, but his team is 5-2.

Questions?

Neither team is what it was last year.  The Vikings Defense is not even close to as good as it was and it's running game has dropped off as well.  The Redskins have the best defensive production in more than a decade this year and the best running game they have had is six years.  Last year, the Redskins, basically a MASH unit, lost despite their QB, who had to carry the team.  This year, the Redskins are winning despite their QB.  

Questions? 

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Kirk Cousins handed a Super Bowl ready team is producing beautiful stats, but his team is 4-3-1.

Alex Smith is handed a 7-9 team and produces ugly stats, but his team is 5-2.

Questions?

I sometimes wonder if you actually watch and follow football.  I know that sounds snarky but I don’t even mean it that way.  So many variables missed and such a simplistic view for someone that spends this much time on a football forum.  Very difficult to take seriously.  

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I sometimes wonder if you actually watch and follow football.  I know that sounds snarky but I don’t even mean it that way.  So many variables missed and such a simplistic view for someone that spends this much time on a football forum.  Very difficult to take seriously.  

Well, I watched two games today.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Seriously, he comes off as trolling lately.  Either he is trolling, or he knows a lot less about the game than I thought.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s really uncomfortable how many people don’t understand that. 

But we’re 5-2 so **** it 

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It’s really uncomfortable how many people don’t understand that. 

But we’re 5-2 so **** it 

I get it, I really do.  I don’t think anyone should be mad at the record.  A lot of teams would love to win in spite of their QB.  But I think the primary reason for the lunacy in some of these posts is because they hate being told that Smith sucks, particularly by people that told them he sucked prior to playing a down here.  You can literally go back in time and find the posts by the same folks, sounding like dummies about how good he was going to be.  But he’s not good, and everyone else is.

Honestly, what you are seeing (from me and some others) is a reaction to the hyper-negativism. Yes, Alex Smith has been below par, but the team has got to be one of the feel good stories of the season. Let them be! Don't hammer over and over how horrible Smith is, how this can't last, and how no one should enjoy this season.

This season, the 'skins were predicted to win between 2-6 games by most respected prognosticators. We were supposed to be G-d awful. We are overachieving by a ridiculous margin. We got insanely lucky with Peterson's rejuvenation. No one saw the D turning around like it did. If Smith is between Blah and bad... who cares! Yet people have spent 150 pages dedicated to ragging on him, tearing him down, and have become so invested in being right about him (and Kirk) that within seconds of a victory against both Dallas and the Giants you hear nothing but complaining and handwringing. Do a touchdown dance. It'll be good for your heart.

Gracious people, get some perspective. The hyper negative are not keeping it real. They are losing an opportunity to be a part of ride that wasn't supposed to happen this season and has been all too rare over the last 27 years. We're winning ugly, but we're winning! The QB is doing just enough to keep the defense fresh and support the run game. He can and should get better. These last two weeks, we've begun to see him begin to incorporate Doctson more.

Would we better if Cousins were on this team? There was never a chance that we could sign him this year. Let him go. Stop wondering "what if" and enjoy "what is." For the moment, what is is a lot better than we could have hoped for.

Kirk Cousins with this defense and running game makes us a SB contender. 

With Alex smith, our ceiling is dramatically lower. I know, you know it, the rest of the league knows it. It’s why two teams gave up on the guy already. He can’t get you over the hump. He is t threatening or dangerous. He holds his teams back.

we will never be a threat to do anything while this dishrag arm as our QB. Be happy for the wins, fine, just know that they are hurting us in the long term development and future of this team. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Would we better if Cousins were on this team? There was never a chance that we could sign him this year. Let him go. Stop wondering "what if" and enjoy "what is." For the moment, what is is a lot better than we could have hoped for.

Take Cousins out of the scenario altogether.  Would we be the same or possibly better with a rookie and/or Colt running a safe game plan?  We would have an additional 3rd, Fuller, and atleast 10M more in cap this year and more in the next two years.  We’re paying 74M for a guy to manage the game.  More importantly, our coach gets beat up on the reg for being a horrible playcaller when he’s calling plays that have guys open and Alex won’t pull the trigger.  When you package letting your old QB walk for nothing, giving up goods for Smith, and his salary, it’s freaking embarrassing.  Everything is swell when we win, but let this team drop two games where the D plays well and Alex is Alex, the frustration will set in if the seeds aren’t already planted.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Take Cousins out of the scenario altogether.  Would we be the same or possibly better with a rookie and/or Colt running a safe game plan?  We would have an additional 3rd, Fuller, and atleast 10M more in cap this year and more in the next two years.  We’re paying 74M for a guy to manage the game.  More importantly, our coach gets beat up on the reg for being a horrible playcaller when he’s calling plays that have guys open and Alex won’t pull the trigger.  When you package letting your old QB walk for nothing, giving up goods for Smith, and his salary, it’s freaking embarrassing.  Everything is swell when we win, but let this team drop two games where the D plays well and Alex is Alex, the frustration will set in if the seeds aren’t already planted.

I think it's questionable. Colt reminds me of a poor man's Rex Grossman. Rex often knew where the ball should go, but he just couldn't get it there, but tried anyway. The result was all too often a big play for the other team. Colt also gets sacked fairly often. If we add in the extra turnovers and extra sacks, couple that with the injuries we've had to Crowder, Thompson, Richardson, and Doctson... I think that we very easily could be seeing worse results.

At the same time, I do think Colt would make plays that Smith is not making and so there is an offset there. The question is whether Colt would create enough positive plays to offset his negative plays. History suggests that's pretty iffy. Therefore, you stick with the winning hand and despite his blah to bad play, Smith is the winning hand (if for no other reason than the team is winning with him behind center.)

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think we would be better off with a rookie. Rookies rarely win games. They lose games with missed opportunities and turnovers. We do need to draft someone though, so that we can season them. 

We might be better off with another vet, but we are stuck with Smith because of the contract. Smith has the 21st best quarterback rating in the league, per ESPN, and that feels about right. There was to be a veteran that would be better. Fitzpatrick would have been better, yes?

@Burgold I recognize we are stuck with Smith and that he cannot be benched at 5-2 for Colt McCoy.  Some have called for that, I’m not one of them.  I don’t even think Jay could start Colt if he wanted to.  I’d like to just rewind the tape, never acquire Smith, and roll with Colt or a rookie.  Perhaps the best thing for Smith is to play with a big arm rookie behind him, applying pressure.  Coincidentally, that was his only stipulation for signing here, that we didn’t draft a QB.

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I feel your pain.  Unfortunately, Kirk never got to play with a defense in Washington nor a decent running game (not to mention special teams).  If he had those things, I believe he would have wanted to be here.  

Smith has benefited from a great defense, a good running game, and outstanding special teams.  Cousins would have made this team a Super Bowl contender.  With Alex, they might make the playoffs because he is horrendous. 

I don't think anyone thought he would be this bad.  I certainly didn't.  But, sadly, he is.

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't think we would be better off with a rookie. Rookies rarely win games. They lose games with missed opportunities and turnovers.

There was to be a veteran that would be better. Fitzpatrick would have been better, yes?

They also can win a lot of games when their teams can run the football and get stops on defense.  See Dak Prescott and I think it’s common knowledge at this point that he’s a very meh QB.

I wasn’t big on any vets available thru free agency.  Really, that helped Kirk get what he got.  There just isn’t much out there.  Dan and Bruce weren’t about to sell the fans on Fitz Magic so I’m not sure that was even an option.

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Still pounding the “rookie” scenario, I see.

Its a really good look.

A really good look is what Alex fails to pull the trigger on several times a game.

15 minutes ago, dckey said:

All of you really underestimate the value of not turning the ball over!!!!  Just look at the turnover giveaways of all the teams winning.  7 out of the top 9 are currently playoff teams

great, so with smith we play "prevent" offense....awesome.

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

I agree with that. I also think the invisible play of the game was Alex Smith tackling the Giants linebacker after Peterson's fumble. Smith was the last man. If he doesn't hustle New York scores a touchdown. Instead, the defense stiffened and NY punts.

That was a huge play Alex made on defense.

Just looked that video up, I missed it during the game. For anyone else wanting to see it, it's shown here: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25108622

I gotta say, for all the talk of Smith being slow, he look Adrian Peterson fast on that run lol

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Just looked that video up, I missed it during the game. For anyone else wanting to see it, it's shown here: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25108622

I gotta say, for all the talk of Smith being slow, he look Adrian Peterson fast on that run lol

I said the same, that’s the fastest I’ve ever seen him run.  What’s odd is he appears scared to take hits in the pocket and gave up running OOB last week.  Yet he hit the jets and gave up his body to make a tackle as a defender.  I just don’t get it.

Man, some of you guys are far out. Skins are 5 and 2. Just beat the cowboys and giants in back to back weeks and yet you still pine for Cousins. The man is a choke artist. The equivalent of a bag of M&M’s, empty calories. A stat padding fraud who didn’t want to play here. Who felt disrespected that the Redskins drafted him. The Redskins in my humble opinion are playing situational football. When it’s working, we build a lead and run out the clock. This dude named Bill Parcells was quite fond of this strategy, and won a lot of games as well. Even if you don’t share the same opinion you can take solace in the fact we are WINNING. Not whining. I’m honestly over this board. Do what you got to do. Root for the Vikings, whatever. I am a Redskins fan. 

If “things that Homers say to avoid discussing Alex Smith’s play” was a category on family feud, I’m pretty sure “be a Vikings fan” would be the #1 answer.

When in reality, you are seeing folks come out of the woodwork to display their displeasure for Alex Smith.  Folks that didn’t like Cousins at all, folks that thought Alex would be an upgrade, etc. all throwing in the towel on the team’s potential with Smith at the helm.  At 5-2 no less.

2 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

Neither team is what it was last year.  The Vikings Defense is not even close to as good as it was and it's running game has dropped off as well.  The Redskins have the best defensive production in more than a decade this year and the best running game they have had is six years.  Last year, the Redskins, basically a MASH unit, lost despite their QB, who had to carry the team.  This year, the Redskins are winning despite their QB.  

Questions? 

You see that dagger pick 6 Cousins threw Vs Saints?  That’s who he’s always been and always will be.  He’s gonna put up the big passing yardage numbers but he’s going to dagger you in big moments in big games.  Just like last season when he played inexplicably terrible against a Giants team that LAID DOWN.  

Archived