Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They were rambling on with that crap just this week.  Probably still will this week. ?

I'm sure a couple of guys will, I have 2 in mind actually.

What I have noticed is that the brigade of AS fan that came over from KC have been very silent, even with the 3 straight wins. It's like even they know when to not pipe up. :drooley:

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

What I have noticed is that the brigade of AS fan that came over from KC have been very silent, even with the 3 straight wins. It's like even they know when to not pipe up. :drooley:

Wheres Sandy, I haven't seen him/her post in a couple weeks.

2 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Probably posted about 100 times just today. Not so much in the Alex threads though. Hello. 

My bad 

When I think of the Alex lovers I think your my #1 seed, haven't seen you post about Alex lately. ?

Just now, JSSkinz said:

My bad ?

All good. I'm just not interested in battling over this anymore. Alex really isn't worth the effort, in all honesty. He should have just retired last offseason, but hard to blame him when another team wants to throw 71 mil guaranteed at him. 

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

One of them doesn’t say much, just likes a high volume of posts about other players/units sucking and Smith’s grandma ball being a positive for the team.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

One of them doesn’t say much, just likes a high volume of posts about other players/units sucking and Smith’s grandma ball being a positive for the team.

And then we have the ones that talk about how Smith is performing equal or better to his contract. And how having him is a fiscally responsible move in terms of cap % and has certain nuanced intangibles that are undervalued.

Not gonna lie, that **** cracks me up.

I've been noticing Smith's passing and field reads; when he makes up his mind to throw, he takes damn near 2 seconds from the time he starts his throwing motion, and when his arm reaches all the way back, it just stays there for what seems to be a full second. I'm surprised he hasn't lost a lot more fumbles than he has, but it just blows my mind how he does that.

Other than the fact that he's inaccurate from 20+ yds, he does what Jason Campbell does; throws a long pass about 7 feet off the ground, where no receiver has a chance to catch it. The pass to Davis that was picked, the ball had no arch at all and had the guy covering looked he could have had a nice pick, but his teammate got it instead.

I don't think that Smith can take the blame for the loss today. That blame should be pretty much shared throughout the whole team. The problem is still that he's not going to take the credit for a win too many times either.

I've kind of hitched a ride on the wait-and-see bandwagon (swayed somewhat by the three recent wins) but we're already halfway through the season and he still looks like a rookie out there. Sure, the low interception numbers are a good thing, but that's all he's really got going for him,

I'm still gonna wait-and-see, but I think that I've probably waited long enough to see that he isn't the kind of QB that I want leading the team.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Remember the "all he does is win" from a bunch of posters on here?

I do.

It's been my biggest beef in the discussion, the winner stuff and not specific to Alex but the point in general.  So when the D line can sack the opposing QB 7 times and Peterson rushes for over 150 yards -- it proves Alex is a winner ?.  So on that same token, I guess today when Peterson doesn't get going and the secondary gets torched -- Alex is a loser?

If we can judge players by their specific play regardless of how OTHER players are playing (i.e, if Norman gets torched by Julio in a big play while Dunbar makes a key pick are they judged as playing exactly the same because of the win or loss?  Obviously, not) -- why doesn't that same concept pertain to Alex or for that matter any QB?  Granted, QBs are more important than other players on the field but if they play well and contribute to a win -- cool.  If they play poorly and the team wins regardless, its ok to be concerned IMO if it looks like a trend.  It's not hard to discern the difference.

Ahhhh..here come all the "I told you so's" again. 5-3 and you all B&M like the Skins had an alternative option than Alex. Alex was the best option available and is still THE BEST OPTION available. We're still in this thing and if you all were honest you'd admit that 5-3 is a pleasant surprise for this club. Ya..another clunker..they got too full of themselves again (the D) and got B-slapped. Atlanta is a GOOD offense.....just sayin

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Would you guys have rather signed Teddy Bridgewater, before he signed with the Jets in March ?

I would have.  Not because I necessarily think he's better, though.  I feel like the legend of Teddy Bridgewater has exceeded the reality of his actual performance.  He wasnt exactly Johnny Playmaker in Minn.  The offense with him wouldnt be any different.  He was very Alex Smith-esque:  protects the ball, doesnt like to go downfield, checks down a lot.

However, I would have preferred that because, as I see it, Gruden is on shaky ground and isnt the guy that's gonna lead us anywhere but 8-8. So I wouldnt want to commit to a QB and potentially (likely) have to dump the coach, yet saddle a new guy with Smith.

49 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Would you guys have rather signed Teddy Bridgewater, before he signed with the Jets in March ?

Of course.

We would have gotten the same type of player with a better arm for a heck of a lot less money, and 10 years younger. It would have been light-years better of a deal.

I get that the loss wasnt ON alex today, I get that the "play safe" formula is great for him when other things go well, and I get that he's still learning his receivers. 

But at some point, we're just spouting a lot of excuses for the guy.  5-3 isn't bad at all, and winning that old school way is nice and all but I think it's too good to be true.  You have to have a good QB in 2018 and good doesn't mean "he rarely turns the ball over".

He looks REALLY unsure of what he's doing when he gets the snap and even more so when he throws it.  This weird 1 and a half sort of double pump thing with his release, it's no surprise these balls go random places.  SAFE places, but randomly away from his wrs.  And those guys are surely getting pissed at some point.  

It's not overreacting, he looks that damn silly out there.  But I don't have an answer for a change.  Were riding this "forumla" out and hell it might take the division, but these good offenses will say screw your run defense in the playoffs, we will have to score and we just can't.  Not with his arm.  

Here's to hoping we go far this season with this formula, and even in the playoffs of course i hope it works.  Just hard to imagine.  

As I have been doing, here is the Kirk vs. Alex comparison through now 8 gms - 2017 Kirk vs 2018 Alex. 

Some notes: Anyone thinking that because Alex had 300 yds and Mo Harris had a nice the offense showed signs of improvement, sorry but you are 100% incorrect. First, it took 46 pass attempts to get to that 300 yds, barely. Atl is one of the worst Ds in the NFL. They are not just bad, they are really bad. There should have been guys running free all over the place with Alex getting closer to 400 yds and a few TDs. In this case 300 yds is a complete fail. Sorry, it is what it is. 

Numbers wise - they are showing who they are: Kirk is more risky. He has 6 more sacks but for 100 more yds. He also had 4 lost fumbles through 8 gms. He had another one yesterday for Detroit but got lucky as it went into the EZ and was recovered by MN. However, he is also better at TD passes - considering how bad this team was in the RZ, this should be a major red light. His passer rating is far better than Alex's. What I find interesting is that the number of attempts is actually less than Alex - some of that is yesterdays 46 attempt. But they have been close all year. I would have expected Alex's atts to be much less with the commitment to run game. Let's see how it goes the rest of the season. 

The moral of this story is that Alex is not running the offense very well up to this point. Can it change? Of course. But it's clear he is not making the best of his opportunists. Make no mistake. guys are getting open. He is missing. Yes, there are some drops. But that happens in the NFL. Atl had some big time drops yesterday. But Matt Ryan kept putting pressure on our D. Alex did not do the same. 

About those injuries. Yes, they suck. But they sucked last year when the same guys got injured. I said this on another thread - how much better would the Oline be, even with the injuries, if they had signed a quality LG in free agency? The injury excuse is wearing thin since many of the guys getting injured have been injured before, some quite a bit, and others like Richardson who we brought in had injury issues before he was brought in. It's on the FO that these injuries are still hurting us. You can't replace everyone. But you can take steps to ensure those injuries do not hurt the team. 

image.thumb.png.d6ebdfc61658428c973ea9b7ccad6782.png

Archived