Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ThinkProgress: Trump confidant dumped millions in steel-related stock last week (Also the Trade War thread)

No Excuses

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I would think the anti-tariff crowd in both chambers of Congress probably has veto proof majority.

Nope.  The rust belt pols from both parties are scared of the potential polical backlash of coming across as less than 100% "America First Yeehaw!"   And all GOP pols are terrified of getting labeled as a RINO if they cross the Trump, since Trump voters make up the overwhelming majority of the base that votes in GOP primaries.   

I see a lot of hysterical claims, but almost no discussion of the actual issues.  I think tarriffs are almost always a bad idea... but ive had my eyes opened a bit after just a little research.  China has been playing by a different set of rules.  Japan has been notorious for decades, etc.

2 hours ago, zoony said:

I see a lot of hysterical claims, but almost no discussion of the actual issues.  I think tarriffs are almost always a bad idea... but ive had my eyes opened a bit after just a little research.  China has been playing by a different set of rules.  Japan has been notorious for decades, etc.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you at some point, claim that Tesla was a company selling people a bill of goods and basically a Ponzi scheme?  Or something to that affect...

For the record, I don’t see the benefit of this tarriff.  As far as the common worker in America, I only see this hurting.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Am I missing something?  70% of the steel we use is made here.  

That other 30% is a lot of steel. I've got no problem with a President trying to follow through on some of his promises to the people that voted for him. All this talk about Russian meddling in the last election....You don't think the Democrats have played demonstration/campaign games? It would probably blow your mind if you knew.

1 minute ago, wolfsire said:

That other 30% is a lot of steel. I've got no problem with a President trying to follow through on some of his promises to the people that voted for him. All this talk about Russian meddling in the last election....You don't think the Democrats have played demonstration/campaign games? It would probably blow your mind if you knew.

Ya, but only a fraction of that is from China. What kinda games are you talking about?  They aren't perfect, but I'm not in the mood for false equivalencies right now.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, but only a fraction of that is from China. What kinda games are you talking about?  They aren't perfect, but I'm not in the mood for false equivalencies right now.

Promising everything to everyone including minorities and never delivering on the promise of a better America. More jobs, more wealth. Democrats just play the game. Appeasing the blow-hards and changing nothing. Talk about change and change zero. At least we have a semi-transparent President who didn't lie to us about everything he promised. And I believe Trump loves the USA. To hear Clintons or Obamas in the past, you'd think they were running for office in Egypt or Libya or the like........we need so much change because it sucks here. .and fools in this country believed it.  America needed a President that would finally try and insure/stabilize our economy in the world market while insuring American jobs.....Bravo

Edited by wolfsire

Politifact ran an article giving some steel related metrics. Based on available data,between 3-4% of our imported steel comes from China, while roughly 45% comes from Canada and the EU. These tariffs the orange buffoon came up with on a whim will barely be noticed by China. Xi is probably just laughing at how stupid Trump is. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wolfsire said:

Promising everything to everyone including minorities and never delivering on the promise of a better America. More jobs, more wealth. Democrats just play the game. Appeasing the blow-hards and changing nothing. Talk about change and change zero. At least we have a semi-transparent President who didn't lie to us about everything he promised. And I believe Trump loves the USA. To hear Clintons or Obamas, you'd think they were running for office in Egypt or Libya or the like.........and fools in this country believe it.

What the what. This is some insane ****. 

So Trump didn't lie about steel tariffs so that makes it okay despite it being terrible economic policy that will cost more jobs in other sectors than it will save in this industry AND somehow you want to bring the Obamas and Clintons into it claiming they hate America. 

Okay, sure. Interesting bat **** crazy take. 

PS- I'm not sure I've seen a more factually inaccurate post here in the last few months. Well, maybe the anarchist guy that has been around. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

What the what. This is some insane ****. 

So Trump didn't lie about steel tariffs so that makes it okay despite it being terrible economic policy that will cost more jobs in other sectors than it will save in this industry AND somehow you want to bring the Obamas and Clintons into it claiming they hate America. 

Okay, sure. Interesting bat **** crazy take. 

PS- I'm not sure I've seen a more factually inaccurate post here in the last few months. Well, maybe the anarchist guy that has been around. 

You must have wind-powered electricity where you live.

• Confused 2

52 minutes ago, wolfsire said:

Promising everything to everyone including minorities and never delivering on the promise of a better America. More jobs, more wealth. Democrats just play the game. Appeasing the blow-hards and changing nothing. Talk about change and change zero. At least we have a semi-transparent President who didn't lie to us about everything he promised. And I believe Trump loves the USA. To hear Clintons or Obamas in the past, you'd think they were running for office in Egypt or Libya or the like........we need so much change because it sucks here. .and fools in this country believed it.  America needed a President that would finally try and insure/stabilize our economy in the world market while insuring American jobs.....Bravo

I guess the Civil Rights Act doesn't count, huh? 

Do you ever cross compare our economy to others?  Unemployment? Exports?  I guess Obama deserves no credit for saving the US auto industry or passing that stimulus to help prevent a global depression. You know anyone who's benefited from medicaid expansion?  You know anybody in the military who's gay and not afraid of coming out so they can serve their country in peace?  Obama killed Bin Laden, but he doesn't love America?  You sound like you only read what you want to read, NOBODY AGREES WITH HIM ON THIS.  Not even his own party, they're trying to block it. 

His ratio of promises kept to BS spit doesn't bother you?  You sound like you believed him when he said he didn't know who David Dukes was.

Edited by Renegade7

36 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I guess the Civil Rights Act doesn't count, huh? 

Do you ever cross compare our economy to others?  Unemployment? Exports?  I guess Obama deserves no credit for saving the US auto industry or passing that stimulus to help prevent a global depression. You know anyone who's benefited from medicaid expansion?  You know anybody in the military who's gay and not afraid of coming out so they can server their country in peace?  Obama killed Bin Laden, but he doesn't love America?  You sound like you only read what you want to read, NOBODY AGREES WITH HIM ON THIS.  Not even his own party, they're trying to block it. 

His ratio of promises kept to BS spit doesn't bother you?  You sound like you believed him when he said he didn't know who David Dukes was.

What does the civil rights act have to do with anything at this point in time? Our inner-cities haven't been addressed at all. Kids are in deplorable conditions when they go to school. It's just a free for all. Gangs, violence, etc...but feel ok guys and gals, because we're gonna send your mama some food stamps. And who do you think really paid for the stimulus, in the end? With interest. I'm anti-gay in the military just because I know so many who want to serve and don't feel comfortable with it shouldn't have it forced on them. Let's face it, it's not for everyone. I love Aladdin Sane and Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars, as an extravagant, brilliant mind created them. The best music.. But to be in close proximity all the time....... . I just know I wouldn't want to deal with it. And that is really how most Americans feel. Do Donald and David own a karaoke bar together or something?

Edited by wolfsire

43 minutes ago, wolfsire said:

What does the civil rights act have to do with anything at this point in time? Our inner-cities haven't been addressed at all. Kids are in deplorable conditions when they go to school. It's just a free for all. Gangs, violence, etc...but feel ok guys and gals, because we're gonna send your mama some food stamps. And who do you think really paid for the stimulus, in the end? With interest.

You said the Democrats haven't changed anything and I gave you multiple examples where you are wrong.  You want to argue about a Dem taking out a loan like that?  Fine, a Republican got us in that mess to begin with and passed a stimulus, too.  People in rural areas are more likely to get food stamps then people in urban areas. 10 of the bottom 11 school systems in the country are run by GOP governors. How long have they been GOP controlled?  Stay on topic and leave me alone.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, wolfsire said:

Promising everything to everyone including minorities and never delivering on the promise of a better America. More jobs, more wealth. Democrats just play the game. Appeasing the blow-hards and changing nothing. Talk about change and change zero. At least we have a semi-transparent President who didn't lie to us about everything he promised.

Wow, is this some bull****. When's he going to build a wall and have Mexico pay for it? Or appoint that special prosecutor to finally get Hillary? Weren't they going to repeal and replace Obamacare with something so much better? Or the largest infrastructure budget in history? Declare China a currency manipulator? Release his tax returns once the audit was complete? etc etc etc

1 hour ago, wolfsire said:

I believe Trump loves the USA. To hear Clintons or Obamas in the past, you'd think they were running for office in Egypt or Libya or the like........we need so much change because it sucks here. .and fools in this country believed it.

Dude, that's EXACTLY what Trump did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You said the Democrats haven't changed anything and I gave you multiple examples where you are wrong.  You want to argue about a Dem taking out a loan like that?  Fine, a Republican got us in that mess to begin with and passed a stimulus, too.  People in rural areas are more likely to get food stamps then people in urban areas. 10 of the bottom 11 school systems in the country are run by GOP governors.  And you have the nerve to talk about failing school districts?  Stay on topic and leave me alone.

Oh, you really want to open up another can of worms. Alright, sweet-heart. I'm gonna pull up Fancy by Bobbie Gentry and think of you. Gonna hit the hay.

• Confused 1

Can we please move the generic anti-Cheetohead vs anti-Obama to the generic Trump thread. This thread is about (bad) trade policies.

Steel is a commodity, a raw material. We fought a revolutionary war against mercantilism - being coerced into shipping raw materials to England and buying finished goods in return. Now Trump is starting a trade war to make us victims of mercantilism. We might save a handful of lousy jobs in delapidated rural communities, but at the cost of losing far more manufacturing jobs that pay more and contribute significantly more to our economy and competitive advantage.

36 minutes ago, Springfield said:

You can’t argue with these types because they live in their own reality.

yNlvT78.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wolfsire said:

Oh, you really want to open up another can of worms. Alright, sweet-heart. I'm gonna pull up Fancy by Bobbie Gentry and think of you. Gonna hit the hay.

Image result for gross gif

I went to sleep after I saw this because I was convinced you were just trying to get a rise out of me.  You aren't staying on topic or responding to any of my counter-points, so I think we're about done here.  I listened to that song, if that's your way of insulting me, that's weak, too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Riggo-toni said:

We might save a handful of lousy jobs in delapidated rural communities, but at the cost of losing far more manufacturing jobs that pay more and contribute significantly more to our economy and competitive advantage.

But you can't say for sure, because of the Toddler-in Chief's policy of

1)  Make splashy, grandiose, announcement.

2)  Admire the beautiful, glorious, panic that you created.

3)  Then maybe allow some of the older folks to attempt to explain things to you.  If they can dumb it down enough.  

4)  And then, maybe, think.  (Even if "thinking" consists of picking which grownup you like the best this morning.)  

(Really looking forward to how well this technique will work when it's Trump and a nuclear-armed lunatic, alone in a room, with no filters on Trump's mouth.)  

• Like 2

And, folks, 

When confronted by a post that basically said "Yeah, the current President actually, knowingly, conspired with the Russian government to get them to help him get elected (and is continuing to receive directions from them, after being elected), and the entire Republican Party is actively working to help cover it up, but the real scandal is the secret fact I know about the fact that the Democrats sometimes have protests.", you folks chose to request the loon to expand on the theme, and you're surprised that what you got back was slogan salad?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wolfsire said:

I'm anti-gay in the military just because I know so many who want to serve and don't feel comfortable with it shouldn't have it forced on them. Let's face it, it's not for everyone. I love Aladdin Sane and Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars, as an extravagant, brilliant mind created them. The best music.. But to be in close proximity all the time....... . I just know I wouldn't want to deal with it. And that is really how most Americans feel. Do Donald and David own a karaoke bar together or something?

edit: Probably shouldnt say it this way. Lets just say there is a theory that homophobia is directly related to hidden/scary/confusing desires and the fear that if you are "in close proximity" all the time with one of them that you will not only learn to except and understand.....but enjoy as well. 

By the time you get off the boat you may be trading in your steel tariffs for a wood tax if you know what im sayin ;) 

Edited by Llevron

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

edit: Probably shouldnt say it this way. Lets just say there is a theory that homophobia is directly related to hidden/scary/confusing desires and the fear that if you are "in close proximity" all the time with one of them that you will not only learn to except and understand.....but enjoy as well. 

By the time you get off the boat you may be trading in your steel tariffs for a wood tax if you know what im sayin ;) 

It’s not a theory in my mind. For me it’s basically an indisputable fact. 

Any dude who feels icky about proximity to gay men is 100% interested in getting the pipe. Now how deep that interest goes is another thing.

Lots of self loathing conservative men in this country. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zoony said:

China has always worked on being a closed market, but:

1.  You don't address those issues with general tariffs, especially on something broad like steel.  You address them through specific things related to China.

2.  Long term China is just hurting their own people as consumers.

If those are your issues, then tariffs aren't your answer.

(With respect to China, it was a mistake to let them into the WTO, and if there is no way to remove them from the WTO, I'd not be against withdrawing from the WTO and starting a new similar organization.)

Edited by PeterMP