Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ThinkProgress: Trump confidant dumped millions in steel-related stock last week (Also the Trade War thread)

No Excuses

You want to see REAL insider trading? Zuckerberg sold 2.7 million shares of Facebook stock in the last 3 and half weeks leading up to this recent scandal. Almost 500 MILLION DOLLARS worth. Of course he claims it was a "philanthropic investment". When all he did was remove money from Facebook and move it to HIS OWN CHARITY. You think he is going to be facing any kind of investigation over that?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-facebook-zuckerberg/zuckerberg-sold-nearly-500-million-facebook-stock-in-february-idUSKCN1GD5OH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Generally the focus is on Trump...because 1. he is the president making a lot of these deals/decisions, 2. he makes everything about him. 

Generally i think you have an unhealthy obsession with the man.  Ironic you say he makes it about him.  From where i sit looks like you make it about him, too.

Turn some of that twitter posting 24/7/30/365 towards Chinese unfair trade practices.  Maybe just 1 hour out of the 24 you spend on trump... you might be surprised what you find out.  There is a wealth of info out there, from several sources, with complaints consistently logged by chinese trade partners around the world.

Guess you would feel better if the government just went back to ignoring it like they have for the past 20 years

22 minutes ago, zoony said:

Why is all the focus on trump and not what foreign countries have been doing for decades to prop up their markets and products unfairly?

I always admire posts from posters who aren't trying to deflect attention away from the current topic or anything, they're just wondering why nobody is talking about some other topic which the poster himself doesn't think is worth mentioning, either.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, zoony said:

Generally i think you have an unhealthy obsession with the man.  Ironic you say he makes it about him.  From where i sit looks like you make it about him, too.

Turn some of that twitter posting 24/7/30/365 towards Chinese unfair trade practices.  Maybe just 1 hour out of the 24 you spend on trump... you might be surprised what you find out.  There is a wealth of info out there, from several sources, with complaints consistently logged by chinese trade partners around the world.

Guess you would feel better if the government just went back to ignoring it like they have for the past 20 years

Interesting perspective, doc.

You know what would have boxed in China for a generation @zoony? TPP

Yet one of the first things our racist narcassistic imbecile of a President did was pull the US out of the TPP

Now he intends to start a trade war that everyone loses. 

Had the traitor in the WH not ****ed up TPP, we wouldn’t need economic killing tarrif and we would have China pinned on its nonsensical trade practices 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zoony said:

In all fairness, Vis has been the newshound since way before Trump ever got elected.  You can't really say something like that when he's basically the only one posting in threads like the Syria one.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

You know what would have boxed in China for a generation @zoony? TPP

Yet one of the first things our racist narcassistic imbecile of a President did was pull the US out of the TPP

Now he intends to start a trade war that everyone loses. 

Had the traitor in the WH not ****ed up TPP, we wouldn’t need economic killing tarrif and we would have China pinned on its nonsensical trade practices 

Im glad we are having these discussions.

This topic has always been important to me.  In some respects Im glad the orange bozo at least has us talking about it.  If just a few hundred thousand googled "chinese unfair trade practices" then i think its a victory in some respects.

For years and years, china's rigged currency exchange rate oversaw one of the largest wealth transfers in the history of the world... in addition to so many other unfair trade practices.  Administration after administration turning a blind eye... and now we have the orange bozo in office thanks to a decimated rust belt.

So yah, it matters.  And i said it on page 3 of this thread, i dont see anyone actually talking about china.  Just platitudes about Smoot-Hawley, or nonsense like "China is now the global leader" (complete and utter bull****)

• Like 1

Like @SkinsHokieFan said, TPP would have been an excellent counterweight to China - it truly was a gold standard for trade deals.  And if we want pressure on Ch(J)ina, we should have come up with a coherent strategy of targeted products for maximum effect.

Instead, we pass huge tariffs on raw materials, putting our own manufactured goods at a competitive disadvantage. Just beyond stupid, as the previous implementations of steel tariffs have unequivocally proven.

If other countries want to sell us steel at below cost, that's a sweet gift and we should take advantage of it. On the other hand, if China is blocking access to their market for, say, hi-tech products, I don't have any problem with tit for tat moves involving finished goods.

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

other countries want to sell us steel at below cost, that's a sweet gift and we should take advantage of it. On the other hand, if China is blocking access to their market for, say, hi-tech products, I don't have any problem with tit for tat moves involving finished goods.

You dont see us maintaining a competent steel and aluminum industry as national security issues?

As for your other question, how many people knew about this when Obama or GwB were president?  My guess is 0.0.  It is now part of the conversation

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/08/elon-musk-sides-with-trump-on-trade-with-china-citing-25-percent-import-duty-on-american-cars.html

19 minutes ago, zoony said:

You dont see us maintaining a competent steel and aluminum industry as national security issues?

As for your other question, how many people knew about this when Obama or GwB were president?  My guess is 0.0.  It is now part of the conversation

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/08/elon-musk-sides-with-trump-on-trade-with-china-citing-25-percent-import-duty-on-american-cars.html

70% of our steel consumption is domestically produced, and YES I DID **** ABOUT GWB's idiotic Steel tariffs at the time. The gomers in rural PA Cheetohead is pandering to did not lose their jobs to imported steel, but rather to domestic mini mills that are much more efficient.

Musk's argument is over prying open the Chinese market for finished goods is valid, and those are the kinds of Chinese products we should be slapping tariffs on.

• Like 3