Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

6 hours ago, Hersh said:

I agree with everything but the Arya part. She’s been training to be an assassin. She’s the only one that stayed true to what’s she’s been. 

I was having fun with my hatred for tv writers there, but yeah Arya is the mortal instrument of the God of Death.  There has been an subplot of ancient powers reawakening throughout the series.  Arya is not just an assassin anymore than Melisandre was just a sorceress or Bran just a seer.  They’ve been given power and set loose with purpose.  Arya’s is to bring death.  Bran’s is to look violently English and embarrass his family.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

And my anecdotal experience has been the opposite.  Everyone I've talked to, including people who have watched it multiple times, enjoyed the episode.  The only place I've heard people not liking it is reading on message boards on the internet.

My facebook feed at 10:30 on Sunday was basically 25 posts of this:

Arya!!!!!! #GOT

People loved that episode and ending. Book nerds who realized that they wasted their lives on 5,000 pages of rubbish with no ending are mad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The WW invasion should have lasted an entire season

I completely disagree.  And it’s just a matter of perspective, but A LOT of the fans of the show are not fantasy people.  They tuned in to Game of Thrones, which is the politics and palace intrigue.  Thrones is literally in the name of the show, and the show should be about the game if thrones.  The series was not named A song of Ice and Fire on purpose. 

The show has mostly been about that with a few drop ins of the WW and Night King.  

If they turned this into a zombie show they would lose the audience quickly. The wide appeal of the show has to do with the characters and how they interact, not the battle against the dead. 

i an willing to bet the majority of the audience cares a whole lot more about who and if/how Cersei is killed than anything to do with the night king. Or how Sansa and Danny will work things our. Jon being a Targarian and how that effects Danny.  

The majority of the audience cares much more about those than fighting undead zombies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

I was hoping for a Jon Snow/NK Duel.

I as dreading a Jon Snow/NK duel. I'm kind of amazed that they had the balls to make Jon and Dany completely useless.

Also, if there is one ongoing thread in this series it is this: Dany really doesn't know how to use her dragons as a military asset. If she needs to kill some slave traders, oh, it's on.

But she's been on that continent for, like, a year with three dragons and frankly had nothing to show for it, because she keeps using them and risking them in these huge pitched battles instead of, like, burning Cersei in her bed as she sleeps and then saying, "Hey, y'all. I'm a Targaryan with three dragons. I killed that awful woman and would like to be queen now."

• Like 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I completely disagree.  And it’s just a matter of perspective, but A LOT of the fans of the show are not fantasy people.  They tuned in to Game of Thrones, which is the politics and palace intrigue.  Thrones is literally in the name of the show, and the show should be about the game if thrones.  The series was not named A song of Ice and Fire on purpose. 

The show has mostly been about that with a few drop ins of the WW and Night King.  

If they turned this into a zombie show they would lose the audience quickly. The wide appeal of the show has to do with the characters and how they interact, not the battle against the dead. 

i an willing to bet the majority of the audience cares a whole lot more about who and if/how Cersei is killed than anything to do with the night king. Or how Sansa and Danny will work things our. Jon being a Targarian and how that effects Danny.  

The majority of the audience cares much more about those than fighting undead zombies.  

I agree with this. I've told the story of how I found the show before. (Watching Sean Bean get beheaded and being totally flummoxed).

I'm pretty sure I actually saw the initial ten minutes of the show, and the idea of snow zombies did nothing for me.

In watching the show something became pretty clear to me. The WW were really just a plot device to unite Jon and Dany and to clear a large part of the board. The Wall was practically a character. It's gone. The Night Watch versus the Wildings ended a long time ago, and if I'm not mistaken, Sam is the last Night Watchman in Westeros. (It seemed pretty clear that Jon's obligation ended when he died and his watch was over). The show now has a pretty conventional number of characters to get to the end-game (whatever that is).

I also find it weird that people wanted to learn more about the WW and the NK. We're 9 seasons in, and they've been a presence since episode 1. If their backstory was important, maybe Martin should have spent 20 of this 5,000 pages on them and told the show runners, "Hey, you may want to include a scene of this."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am one of the fans of Game of Thrones. Had the show totally turned into zombies, I would have stopped watching. I personally hate zombie shows. I have never seen Walking Dead or any like movies. Too much of horror for me.

I am much more interested in people fighting for the throne and how that plays out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I agree with this. I've told the story of how I found the show before. (Watching Sean Bean get beheaded and being totally flummoxed).

I'm pretty sure I actually saw the initial ten minutes of the show, and the idea of snow zombies did nothing for me.

In watching the show something became pretty clear to me. The WW were really just a plot device to unite Jon and Dany and to clear a large part of the board. The Wall was practically a character. It's gone. The Night Watch versus the Wildings ended a long time ago, and if I'm not mistaken, Sam is the last Night Watchman in Westeros. (It seemed pretty clear that Jon's obligation ended when he died and his watch was over). The show now has a pretty conventional number of characters to get to the end-game (whatever that is).

I also find it weird that people wanted to learn more about the WW and the NK. We're 9 seasons in, and they've been a presence since episode 1. If their backstory was important, maybe Martin should have spent 20 of this 5,000 pages on them and told the show runners, "Hey, you may want to include a scene of this."

We aren't the ones that spent multiple seasons building up this army and the NK as the greatest threat the world has ever seen. I agree that we didn't need to see an entire season of the battle, but give me more than the dumbest battle plan ever that ignores all the rules they've learned about WW's. To your point about the dragons, the episode essentially made all the most fear warriors completely useless outside of the NK predictably raising the dead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

We aren't the ones that spent multiple seasons building up this army and the NK as the greatest threat the world has ever seen. I agree that we didn't need to see an entire season of the battle, but give me more than the dumbest battle plan ever that ignores all the rules they've learned about WW's. To your point about the dragons, the episode essentially made all the most fear warriors completely useless outside of the NK predictably raising the dead. 

Honestly I would have been fine with a lucky arrow shot from a random Mormont with a dragon stone tip in the first 30 seconds of the battle and I would have been fine just getting rid of the entire WW/Night King plot line and getting back to the game of thrones.

I get that would have been extremely unsatisfying to most, but that’s how I feel.  

Maybe the reason I really enjoyed the episode is that it rid us of the plot I don’t care about, rid us of Theon and the Greyjoy plot line, I never cares about Berick, and the Red Lady disintegrating was kinda cool.  

Minus Jorah, the entire cast of people who I’m really interested in is still around.

And it was a visual spectacle, Arya did cool stuff, there was a cool dragon fight, and it was an enjoyable hour and a half of TV. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I as dreading a Jon Snow/NK duel.

You got your wish! And I am okay with that, because I don’t mind how the show ended. Now, what has happened to the real LKB?

Yeah part of my interest in Game of Thrones is the "politics" behind everything, character motivations, etc etc.....the Night King stuff while entertaining to some extent is just an undead army marching.  For me it took away from what I like best about the show. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But it’s a fantasy story and fantasy has always been a large part of it, including the WW. We were introduced to the story of game of thrones with them and their inevitable invasion. 

If they didn’t want to adapt a fantasy story they should have picked different source material. Peter Jackson didn’t kill Sauron off screen at the end of the Two Towers because people really wanted to see how Aragorn ruled as king. And even if they did want that, he wouldn’t have done it. 

I get that some fans didnt care for the fantasy but a lot of fans did care for that aspect of it. Everyone that likes a dragon or a Dany or Jon can thank the fantasy elements of the show for keeping them alive and making their stories meaningful. 

That’s one of the biggest reasons I fell in love with the show is for the way it seamlessly blended fantasy action and thrills with a high stakes political drama. 

And fans like me got told to take a hike when they basically said they didn’t care about the fantasy elements of the story anymore. 

It doesn’t have to be an entire season fine, but give some payoff to the mysteries and world building of the fantasy elements you’ve spent 8 years building up for us instead of dropping it off a cliff. It couldn’t be more obvious how ready they are to wrap this thing up and move on as quickly and streamlined as possible. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

But it’s a fantasy story and fantasy has always been a large part of it, including the WW. We were introduced to the story of game of thrones with them and their inevitable invasion. 

If they didn’t want to adapt a fantasy story they should have picked different source material. Peter Jackson didn’t kill Sauron off screen at the end of the Two Towers because people really wanted to see how Aragorn ruled as king. And even if they did want that, he wouldn’t have done it. 

I get that some fans didnt care for the fantasy but a lot of fans did care for that aspect of it. Everyone that likes a dragon or a Dany or Jon can thank the fantasy elements of the show for keeping them alive and making their stories meaningful. 

That’s one of the biggest reasons I fell in love with the show is for the way it seamlessly blended fantasy action and thrills with a high stakes political drama. 

And fans like me got told to take a hike when they basically said they didn’t care about the fantasy elements of the story anymore. 

It doesn’t have to be an entire season fine, but give some payoff to the mysteries and world building of the fantasy elements you’ve spent 8 years building up for us instead of dropping it off a cliff. It couldn’t be more obvious how ready they are to wrap this thing up and move on as quickly and streamlined as possible. 

1. You need therapy.

2. I still have no idea what you actually wanted from this. We spent three episodes in Winterfell and had an hour and twenty minute battle with the Night King. Did you want a whole season of the Night King chasing Jon Snow and Bran?

We know who he was. Some schmuck who was tortured by the Ewoks.

We know how he makes the White Walkers. He got the babies from the weird guy.

We know what his goal was - everyone dead.

So, seriously, lay out a three episode arc that generally gives us what you want on the freaking blue meanie.

• Haha 3

They built up this war with the white walkers forever... and there wasn't a war.  I can understand that people looking forward to a war would be disappointed when they were given a single battle instead.  It would have been nice to see the white walkers take the field, but Arya turned them all into crushed ice with a just single strong drive to the rim. 

It feels like they rushed it. 

• Like 3

On 5/1/2019 at 12:17 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

6. Let's talk about battle plans for a second:

-- When the army is so big it doesn't fit behind the walls, you have to meet the enemy on the open field. However having the Dothraqui (sp?) charge at them was stupid.

-- There are very few battle plans which will work when you are facing basically an insurmountable foe.  

1 The walls weren't properly manned.  That much was evident by the fact that any single defender that fell resulted in a horde pouring over the area they were defending. 

2 If your vast army doesn't fit inside the walls... split it up and put the second one out of sight.  They can sweep in after the enemy is committed and trap them between the wall and the 2nd army.  Remember how Sansa lead a second surprise army onto the field to save J Snow and the Wild Boys?  Kind of like that, but bigger.  What they did instead is trap their own army between their fortifications and the enemy forces.  They had to spend lives to cover a lengthy retreat through gaps in the fire trench. 

Battle plan was garbage.  No getting around it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

I agree with everything but the Arya part. She’s been training to be an assassin. She’s the only one that stayed true to what’s she’s been. 

They should have spent more time showing us Arya sneaking her way to the Night King and less time on dark, blurry shots of extras fighting CGI zombies. The ending would have been a lot more suspenseful.

I like this episode less the more I think about it, but I don't hate it like some fans seem to. 

• Like 1

There was a fairly important battle in the late middle ages where they did place defenders outside the walls ... pretty sure it was a rebellion in  Netherlands or Flanders or around that area, against France.  The defenders won.   I'll see if I can find out the actual battle

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

My facebook feed at 10:30 on Sunday was basically 25 posts of this:

Arya!!!!!! #GOT

People loved that episode and ending. Book nerds who realized that they wasted their lives on 5,000 pages of rubbish with no ending are mad.

Lmao, we’re all considered “book nerds” because we invested some time into that show. That ending was disappointing as hell, predictable and boring. Everyone I’ve talked to was disappointed in that episode, and pretty much I saw about 50/50 posts about people liking or disliking it. Reddit hated the episode. But we’re all book nerds so our opinion doesn’t matter 

I totally understand people not caring about the WW army but since they spent so much time on that story, I wish they did the battle scene better. 

Edited by Hersh

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I totally understand people not caring about the WW army but since they spent so much time on that story, I wish they did the battle scene better. 

The only other option was totally overrunning Winterfell and maybe a few survivors.....would that have been better?

The WW's are basically unstoppable unless the NK falls.

Hiding behind the walls wouldn't change a thing, nor attacking the rear.

3 minutes ago, twa said:

The only other option was totally overrunning Winterfell and maybe a few survivors.....would that have been better?

The WW's are basically unstoppable unless the NK falls.

Hiding behind the walls wouldn't change a thing, nor attacking the rear.

well, not the only option.

• Like 1