Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

I’m still pissed about the episode, literally for 10 years they’ve been building up “ winter is coming “ and it comes and goes in 1 hour. It gets worse the more I think about it, what a real lame ending that was. I wish I could defend it like some of you. 

Edited by max21
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Exactly. This was a return of “The Long Night”, a winter that lasted a generation where children were born and died in the darkness, snow piles 100ft high and the first appearance of the WW that threatened the extinction of humanity. 

We’ve been told Winter is Coming since the title of the first episode and first scene of the show. This was the Great War. The only thing that mattered. Petty squabbles over worldly matters were meaningless and a mere distraction over what was to come. And yet the WW didn’t even last a full night. Did they even last a few hours? 

What a letdown. 

The WW invasion should have lasted an entire season. There should have been losses, death, despair, and then some desperate last attempt or success that ends. I mean nobody else in the world even knows this happened. Cersei was proven right. The Maesters In then Citadel  were proven right. They’d laugh at anyone that tried to tell them otherwise. And why wouldn’t they? The world wasn’t impacted at all and nobody is consequence or note in the world even died 

I thought they could still tell that story even in a few episodes if done correctly but they didn’t have any desire to actually flesh out what they’ve built from the first moment of the show. 

• Like 3

The NK n WW basically defeated the greatest army ever assembled in Westeros in little over an hour. Dothraki, Unsullied, Wildlings, Northerners, Ironborn, Dragons, Targaryans, Lannisters, Starks, a Greyjoy, the 3ER, the Red Woman, Mormonts, even a Tarley. They clearly were a great threat. The NK never accounted for a girl who'd been trained by the Faceless Men. Tough luck.

Edited by clietas
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, clietas said:

The NK n WW basically defeated the greatest army ever assembled in Westeros in little over an hour. Dothraki, Unsullied, Wildlings, Northerners, Ironborn, Dragons, Targaryans, Lannisters, Starks, a Greyjoy, the 3ER, the Red Woman, Mormonts, even a Tarley. They clearly were a great threat. The NK never accounted for a girl who'd been trained by the Faceless Men. Tough luck.

The night king never accounted for the writing room thinking “how can we appeal to a younger audience?”  Shameless pandering to specific demographics is what tvwriters do best.  Certainly better than their actual writing.  This is what I imagine spawned ideas we saw after they ran out of books to follow.  For example: What if Sansa wasn’t stupid anymore and we just made her, like the smartest one?  What if all the characters that were previously the smart ones, mostly old and mostly male, just got shoved aside for the younger characters?  Why not have Arya kill the night king?  Like, just out of no where!  She’s the youngest female major character, the kids will love it!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, clietas said:

Hans Gruber never accounted for Jon McLain. Sauron never accounted for a committed hobbit. The police never suspected Verbal Kind was Keyser Soze. They all so stupid.

5 hours ago, Destino said:

The night king never accounted for the writing room thinking “how can we appeal to a younger audience?”  Shameless pandering to specific demographics is what tvwriters do best.  Certainly better than their actual writing.  This is what I imagine spawned ideas we saw after they ran out of books to follow.  For example: What if Sansa wasn’t stupid anymore and we just made her, like the smartest one?  What if all the characters that were previously the smart ones, mostly old and mostly male, just got shoved aside for the younger characters?  Why not have Arya kill the night king?  Like, just out of no where!  She’s the youngest female major character, the kids will love it!  

What if Jamie wasn’t evil anymore, what if the Hound wasn’t just a mindless Killer anymore, what if Tyrion just wasn’t a whore lingering lush anymore. Just pointing out that a lot of characters have flipped or evolved. Sansa was used by a pawn by Baelish, Cersei, and Ramsey and married to Tyrion-the most cunning characters in the show. Even a rock would get smarter. Look at all the coaches that have been within ten feet of Sean McVay. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Hersh said:

Yeah, the episode gets worse every day. Terrible battle plan and the WW and NK never fought anyone. 

Yes, and the moment they fought and got defeated by Valyrian steel and dragon glass you’d been like “they so stupid, you have a million man army-just wait it out “

• Like 2

Just now, Elessar78 said:

Yes, and the moment they fought and got defeated by Valyrian steel and dragon glass you’d been like “they so stupid, you have a million man army-just wait it out “

There are just some people that would never have been satisfied no matter what happens.

• Like 4

I don’t get the Arya hate. People complained for several seasons how much time she wasted training to be an assassin. And now that there is some ultimate payoff to her massive sacrifice and immense screen time (and the only character in the show we see actually train for something outside of a 30 second clip) people lose their minds. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

I don’t get the Arya hate. People complained for several seasons how much time she wasted training to be an assassin. And now that there is some ultimate payoff to her massive sacrifice and immense screen time (and the only character in the show we see actually train for something outside of a 30 second clip) people lose their minds. 

Maybe she killed him too fast and way to easily ?

I get what a lot of people are saying....this season and last season feels incredibly rushed. Was there a specific reason they wanted to wrap up the show and not go another season? The lead up and battle of winterfell could have been an entire season followed by an entire season of them coordinating and attacking kings landing + the after effects

Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Just wait them out? Huh?

I mean, y’all can defend stupid battle plans and enjoy WW literally just being white and walking and not fighting cause that’s way more cool. Ya know what’s also really cool. The NK’s weapon, which he never uses.

1 hour ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Are people hating on that cause she may be the best part of GoT?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, max21 said:

I’m still pissed about the episode, literally for 10 years they’ve been building up “ winter is coming “ and it comes and goes in 1 hour. It gets worse the more I think about it, what a real lame ending that was. I wish I could defend it like some of you. 

I agree it seemed a bit too "simple" even though an entire episode was dedicated to the battle.  Basically the same amount of time was dedicated to the battle with the Wildlings, which are all but forgotten now.

Perhaps there's some sort of catch here, like a contingent of WWs that remained behind the wall and therefore were not instantly shattered due to some sort of metaphysical barrier.  Maybe his soul was transferred somewhere else because a soul cannot be "killed."  Or maybe there is another character lurking in plain sight that was acting through the NK all along, and represents the true pinnacle of evil.  

7 hours ago, Destino said:

I agree with everything but the Arya part. She’s been training to be an assassin. She’s the only one that stayed true to what’s she’s been. 

• Like 1

I think it makes sense that it was Arya. The Faceless Men say that death is a gift, and that's particularly true in a world with resurrection. You could be tortured to death in Ramsay's dungeon and revived again and again for more of the same. 

By killing the Night King, Arya delivered the gift of true death to all of the wights that he was controlling. And to the Night King himself. How old was that guy, like 8,000 years? He was a man turned into a monster with an immortal lifespan, and initially the only one of his kind. I'd take the gift of death over 8,000 years of what was effectively solitary confinement. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Damn I must be the only person that really enjoyed the episode. Then again I'm not a super anal nerd about these things. ;)

I enjoyed most of the show in the moment but given how well they've executed things in the past, I didn't think it was their best work. 

41 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I think most people really enjoyed it, aside from the darkness part.  It's just the vocal minority lashing out on the internet about it for the most part.   

The majority of people I know who have watched GOT since the jump did not like the episode, but I’m not going to be negative anymore. I read on Twitter that episode 5 is gnarlier than episode 3 so that’s something to look forward to. 

12 minutes ago, max21 said:

The majority of people I know who have watched GOT since the jump did not like the episode, but I’m not going to be negative anymore. I read on Twitter that episode 5 is gnarlier than episode 3 so that’s something to look forward to. 

And my anecdotal experience has been the opposite.  Everyone I've talked to, including people who have watched it multiple times, enjoyed the episode.  The only place I've heard people not liking it is reading on message boards on the internet.

I liked the episode and didnt find it too dark although i did have a issue with the way they filmed most of the fighting which I assume was done purposely to show the chaotic nature of the battle and how they really weren't doing battle & sword play as much as just surviving. Too much camera shaking and out of focus actors, It was just just a mish mosh of flying bodies and yelling, if that makes sense.

I did feel the ending was a bit anticlimactic as well , I mean they have been milking this white walker invasion since season 1 and it was all ended by ARYA STARK child assassin ?  Yeah i got she is bad ass with alot of training but for christ sake, It all ended so fast..... I dunno ? Again does that make sense ?

Either way it was a great episode , Can't wait to see how it all ends but i am afraid the show may have lost its edginess and unpredictability after the way the Whitewalkers went down. Season 1 would have seen Arya stark die in that final scene and the white walkers take winterfell, I'm afraid the show writers might be trying to end the series with a cliche Hollywood and they lived happily ever after finish which isn't what the show is about. I'm not saying the show has to end on a down note but it does need to be more clever than Arya Stark saves the day.... Because this show has been quite clever in the past.

Edited by JoeJacobyHOForRIOT
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Either way it was a great episode , Can't wait to see how it all ends but i am afraid the show may have lost its edginess and unpredictability after the way the Whitewalkers went down. Season 1 would have seen Arya stark die in that final scene and the white walkers take winterfell, I'm afraid the show writers might be trying to end the series with a cliche Hollywood and they lived happily ever after finish which isn't what the show is about. I'm not saying the show has to end on a down note but it does need to be more clever than Arya Stark saves the day.... Because this show has been quite clever in the past.

I was hoping for a Jon Snow/NK Duel. It didn't happen, and after watching it again, I think the NK was afraid of Jon Snow. The NK seen Jon Snow kill a white walker at Hardhome and knows Jon Snow has a special weapon and perhaps is aware of the Last Hero/Prince that was Promised/Azor Ahai prophecy and feels that, that is Jon Snow. The NK was doing what ever it took to prevent a battle with Jon Snow. He just wasn't expecting Arya.

• Like 3