Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

3 hours ago, Forehead said:

Yeah, chalk me up for uncomfortable with the whole Arya thing.  She's clearly in good shape and all, I think it just has to do with her being 11 when the whole show started, watching her grow up, etc.  Just doesn't feel right, but I know she's in her 20's.

I think of her as about 16ish so I didn't find it problematic. 

And the fact that she's killed people quite deliberately.  That passes as grown up to me. 

42 minutes ago, Llevron said:

And I dont think this show is down for hero **** anyway. 

For the most part I’d agree but that is exactly what Jon is. We thought it was Ned, we thought it was Robb we thought it was Dany but it’s always been Jon. 

Imo he is the hero of the story and this is his story. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, max21 said:

Maybe the Knight king won’t be in the battle for Winterfell but is on his way to Kings landing on the Ice Dragon

This. They have always showed the Knight King when the dead show up. Im willing to bet he is on his way to Kings Landing.

They will win the battle of Winterfell (will lose a bunch of people) only to find out the Knight King has taken the throne. We will then have 3 episodes of the living trying to take it back. 

Every army with the exception of the Gold Company is in Wintefell. Why would you attack that when Kings Landing would be an easy victory. 

2 hours ago, max21 said:

Maybe the Knight king won’t be in the battle for Winterfell but is on his way to Kings landing on the Ice Dragon

It would be a plot twist nobody saw coming, and it would also go against all the times Cersei keeps saying let them deal with the dead and we'll deal with what's left.

I think you may be right.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This is what I am hoping. They had an extra year to write this and to see them handle it so straight forward would be disappointing. The WW are the greatest threat the world has ever known and that was before they got a dragon. I just don't want to see them defeated in their first battle. I'd like to see the heroes lose Winterfell, retreat to Kings Landing and Cersei refuse to help them or something causing Jaime to kill her and the Hound/Mountain get to do their thing. Then Jon's forces assume control of the remaining Lannisters and the Golden Company and we have one final Battle for Dawn at King's Landing in which the Iron Throne is destroyed, 75% of Westeros is destroyed, Dany dies and pretty much most other mains all die. There should be some revelation from Bran about the past or a prophecy or TPTWP or Lightbringer or something to close this all out. None of that has even been touched on yet which makes me hella nervous.

I'm hoping they still have some surprises. 

Yes something along those lines.

I would agree the WW definitely need to make to the South as sort of a poetic justice for the realm completely ignoring the real threat in their petty squabbles. 

I'm wondering if there is a "message" that GRRM has been trying to convey here, about people who disregard ethics in their quest for power and wealth.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This is what I am hoping. They had an extra year to write this and to see them handle it so straight forward would be disappointing. The WW are the greatest threat the world has ever known and that was before they got a dragon. I just don't want to see them defeated in their first battle. I'd like to see the heroes lose Winterfell, retreat to Kings Landing and Cersei refuse to help them or something causing Jaime to kill her and the Hound/Mountain get to do their thing. Then Jon's forces assume control of the remaining Lannisters and the Golden Company and we have one final Battle for Dawn at King's Landing in which the Iron Throne is destroyed, 75% of Westeros is destroyed, Dany dies and pretty much most other mains all die. There should be some revelation from Bran about the past or a prophecy or TPTWP or Lightbringer or something to close this all out. None of that has even been touched on yet which makes me hella nervous.

I'm hoping they still have some surprises. 

It may have to be straightforward if HBO was giving them the order to wrap it up. I don't know how they can hype this battle so much, put so much into it, only for their to be yet another battle. Plus, most of the best killing has been done outside of big battles. There needs to be a lot of more personal, up close deaths. Like Dany killing Jon for the Iron Throne or something along those lines. 

22 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It would be a plot twist nobody saw coming, and it would also go against all the times Cersei keeps saying let them deal with the dead and we'll deal with what's left.

I think you may be right.

Would anyone be surprised if the Night King goes to KL and instead of doing what everyone to date has done which is freak the hell out, Cersei's cold ass seduces or tries to seduce the Night King.

And the survivors of the battle of Winterfell go south to find Cersei is now a half dead Night Queen.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I'm wondering if there is a "message" that GRRM has been trying to convey here, about people who disregard ethics in their quest for power and wealth.

I think the general theme is we are too wrapped up in our petty differences to ever see the big picture and come together to do what is truly right before it's too late. 

This could be said of climate change now, nuclear war 50 years ago etc etc.

• Thanks 1

One of the issues is that they’ve introduced a lot of subplots this season while trying to wrap things up. Is the Golden Company just going to get wiped out? Does Bronn use the crossbow? Huge tensions between Jon and Dany as well as Sansa and Dany. Cersei needs some up close backstabbing.

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

One of the issues is that they’ve introduced a lot of subplots this season while trying to wrap things up. Is the Golden Company just going to get wiped out? Does Bronn use the crossbow? Huge tensions between Jon and Dany as well as Sansa and Dany. Cersei needs some up close backstabbing.

Yes, because there are no elephants.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Does Bronn use the crossbow?

The purpose of Bronn is to arrive at Winterfell after the battle and tell people he saw a dragon flying to King's Landing on his way up. Then he can tell Jaime and Tyrion that Cersei wanted to kill them which will give Jaime the final push he needed after losing Brienne in battle to take his revenge on Cersei. 

On 3/15/2019 at 1:58 PM, Forehead said:

I'm telling you, fat Sam is going to wind up the King on the Iron Throne.  I already posted this theory once, but it is going to happen.

I can't find my really long post where I explained why Sam Tarly was going to wind up winning this thing from a double digit seed, but the short version was that I was projecting that George R.R. Martin was an overweight, picked on kid/teenager, and that Game of Thrones was his nerd-opus where all the beautiful jock people die horrible deaths, particularly all the women (who rejected his real life advances as a youth) and the fat nerd wins in the end.

However, a new thing occurred to me, which I'm using to back up this argument.  This entire thing has parallels to the Roman Empire.  From the unconquerable North (Germania) to the crazy ass rulers.  For those of you who have watched or read Roman documentary type stuff, you had Tiberius who was an austere asshole and into a lot of weird things while he was hiding in Capri, and you had Caligula who was a freaking psychopath.  There's enough poor traits between King Robert, KIng Joffrey, and Cersei to account for all of that crazy.

So who came after Caligula?  His uncle, Claudius.  Who actually turned out to be a very good statesman, and no one suspected him because he had a perceived weakness of being a mental midget.

So you have Sam, who with his ability to read and do math, is smarter than most of the kingdom, and would likely make a pretty good administrator/ruler.  His perceived weakness is that he's a coward, even though over the course of the show, he's managed to kill a white walker, stand up to his family and steal their sword, perform what appeared to be a really disgusting surgery, etc.

I am telling you, Sam Tarly is coming out of nowhere to take this thing. 

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The purpose of Bronn is to arrive at Winterfell after the battle and tell people he saw a dragon flying to King's Landing on his way up. Then he can tell Jaime and Tyrion that Cersei wanted to kill them which will give Jaime the final push he needed after losing Brienne in battle to take his revenge on Cersei. 

How can the WW’s with no dragon and no NK last against against 2 dragons? “Dragons, fly in from behind and kill those guys on the horses.” Battle over. 

4 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I can't find my really long post where I explained why Sam Tarly was going to wind up winning this thing from a double digit seed, but the short version was that I was projecting that George R.R. Martin was an overweight, picked on kid/teenager, and that Game of Thrones was his nerd-opus where all the beautiful jock people die horrible deaths, particularly all the women (who rejected his real life advances as a youth) and the fat nerd wins in the end.

However, a new thing occurred to me, which I'm using to back up this argument.  This entire thing has parallels to the Roman Empire.  From the unconquerable North (Germania) to the crazy ass rulers.  For those of you who have watched or read Roman documentary type stuff, you had Tiberius who was an austere asshole and into a lot of weird things while he was hiding in Capri, and you had Caligula who was a freaking psychopath.  There's enough poor traits between King Robert, KIng Joffrey, and Cersei to account for all of that crazy.

So who came after Caligula?  His uncle, Claudius.  Who actually turned out to be a very good statesman, and no one suspected him because he had a perceived weakness of being a mental midget.

So you have Sam, who with his ability to read and do math, is smarter than most of the kingdom, and would likely make a pretty good administrator/ruler.  His perceived weakness is that he's a coward, even though over the course of the show, he's managed to kill a white walker, stand up to his family and steal their sword, perform what appeared to be a really disgusting surgery, etc.

I am telling you, Sam Tarly is coming out of nowhere to take this thing. 

If he’s GRRM isn’t Sam set up to be the story teller?

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

How can the WW’s with no dragon and no NK last against against 2 dragons? “Dragons, fly in from behind and kill those guys on the horses.” Battle over. 

If he’s GRRM isn’t Sam set up to be the story teller?

You'd THINK that, but I think he envisions bathing himself in jock and hot women's blood.  Look at the way he's made people die in this story :)

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The dragons are held back waiting for the NK trap who never arrives. 

The other side of that is why would the NK risk his dragon in a 2 v 1 deathmatch when he didn’t have to?

maybe Drogon is picked off by a WW javelin and when Dany wants to ride Rhaegal, he refuses as he’s accepted Jon. 

40 minutes ago, Forehead said:

You'd THINK that, but I think he envisions bathing himself in jock and hot women's blood.  Look at the way he's made people die in this story :)

Sam will live because he is the author of

tnis story, A Song of Ice and Fire. They couldn’t have made that more clear in season 7 with the citadel maester telling him the title of one of those books should have been more poetic and Sam seeing the astrolabes. 

Cant see any way that Sam is King of this story and doubt it happens. I’d eat my sock if it did 

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The dragons are held back waiting for the NK trap who never arrives. 

The other side of that is why would the NK risk his dragon in a 2 v 1 deathmatch when he didn’t have to?

maybe Drogon is picked off by a WW javelin and when Dany wants to ride Rhaegal, he refuses as he’s accepted Jon. 

Why do we think the NK is some master strategist? So far they just march straight ahead in battles, wipe everyone out then bring them back to be in his army. I guess this is one of the problems with no NK backstory. Plus, maybe his singular focus is on Bran?

Just now, Elessar78 said:

he can't see in the future, can he?

He’s only been shown to have 2 half second “visions” of the future, one of a dragon flying over KL (which technically could still be from the past) and two, the wildfire explosion under the Sept. 

All indications are that he can’t see the future at all 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Would anyone be surprised if the Night King goes to KL and instead of doing what everyone to date has done which is freak the hell out, Cersei's cold ass seduces or tries to seduce the Night King.

And the survivors of the battle of Winterfell go south to find Cersei is now a half dead Night Queen.

The Night King's Bride. Full circle. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Plus, maybe his singular focus is on Bran?

NK is constipated. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

"I'm not a king, but if I was, I'd knight you 10 times over!"

Might be Torumund's greatest line in the series--and a top-10 line overall. I'm still laughing at it.

I just loved announcing that the White Walkers will be there by morning and then immediately pivoting to "Is the big woman here?"

• Like 2