Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

3 minutes ago, bknp7 said:

Kirk an Alex are very similar. The good thing is we are not over paying Kirk for 5-6 years. We will have $ to upgrade other positions.

Yeah! Because I'd much rather pay $8 mil to an expensive aging CB and other player as opposed to the cheap rookie deal CB we just gave up and the cheap 3rd round pick that it took to get this "cheaper" QB. 

We gave up two cheap potential starting pieces to get a cheaper QB and two expensive potential starting pieces. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know there is doom and gloom but I am OK with it.

I liked Fuller. I like Cousins.

The reality is Skins traded Fuller for Smith.

(3rd round pick will come from Comp)

Cousins was long gone. It was just a matter of time.  I was hoping that we got Smith in FA. 

I like that Skins options are open for draft though and more money is available to build the rest.

2 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Please explain to me how we replace a QB with one of the exact same caliber while subsequently ending the drama that surrounded the previous one... And lose one other player (as if he is the only talented young one we have) equals 4-12 next year?

Especially if said QB gives us 2 or 3 years to draft and groom his replacement? 

I must agree.

Honestly I dont see a better resolution to this problem all things considered.

was a necessary move. Cousins didn't want to be here. And regardless of what anyone says we just upgraded at the qb position. Smith is FAR more dangerous with his legs, has a better arm and doesn't throw boneheaded interceptions. Losing Fuller hurts for sure. But it costs something to get something. I am just glad the cousins drama is done at this point. We have a guy that WANTED to commit to the Redskins at a price well below what Cousins would have gotten. Now we have money to build the rest of the TEAM. And there us a good chance the top cb in the draft will be there at 13 as well.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s time for this fan base to heal.  The RG3/Kirk/Shanny chapter is finally closed.

I apologize to all fellow ESers I’ve rubbed the wrong way vis a vis this soap opera.

I wish Kirk well.  I’ll be pulling for him.

Hail.

This fanbase will never heal.

So, we saved some money for an older version of the QB we have. We gave up 3rd rounder and a young player, that some think is first round talent.

So, we have a cheaper QB now.  He's older.  We still have the incompetent front office. We still have a mediocre coach.  The Kirk soap opera is over but that doesn't mean this team will be any better.  

I really hope Kirk goes somewhere and wins a Superbowl.  That would just be perfect for this franchise.  We can't develop and keep our own talent but always go for the other teams guys.  

I think Alex Smith is going to regret being traded here, probably after just one year.  

Not signing Kirk is one thing, that's fine- his price had gotten to high.   Trading for Smith and then giving him 70 million in guaranteed money is a desperation move to save some jobs.

1 minute ago, mrfixit28 said:

That's not guaranteed.  We could have a situation last year where we should've received a 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th rounders.  But decided to be more aggressive in free agency and wiped away the comp picks.  It's about offsetting signings.

2 minutes ago, mrfixit28 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know there is doom and gloom but I am OK with it.

I liked Fuller. I like Cousins.

The reality is Skins traded Fuller for Smith.

Cousins was long gone. It was just a matter of time.  I was hoping that we got Smith in FA. 

I like that Skins options are open for draft though and more money is available to build the rest.

We've downgraded and got worse at two positions while losing a third round pick in the process. "Doom and Gloom" is a reasonable reaction, I think. Just this one time. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

was a necessary move. Cousins didn't want to be here. And regardless of what anyone says we just upgraded at the qb position. Smith is FAR more dangerous with his legs, has a better arm and doesn't throw boneheaded interceptions. Losing Fuller hurts for sure. But it costs something to get something. I am just glad the cousins drama is done at this point. We have a guy that WANTED to commit to the Redskins at a price well below what Cousins would have gotten. Now we have money to build the rest of the TEAM. And there us a good chance the top cb in the draft will be there at 13 as well.

Yes so much better Andy Reid is willing to start a 2nd year rookie instead of him...Alex Smith is average and will be benched by mid season because he won’t be able to replicate what he did with Kelce Hill Conley and hunt...with what we have.

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Kendall Fuller is a really nice player.  Love him.

A veteran near-Pro Bowl level QB is worth 10 Kendall Fullers.

If they were similar age I'd agree with you, but Fuller has his whole career ahead of him, and Smith is on the "back 9" of his career.  We definitely lost this trade in a landslide victory for the chefs. 

Watch, the Chiefs will be in the playoffs next year, and the Redskins will win 7-8 games.

Like clockwork.

:ols:

4 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Please explain to me how we replace a QB with one of the exact same caliber while subsequently ending the drama that surrounded the previous one... And lose one other player (as if he is the only talented young one we have) equals 4-12 next year?

Especially if said QB gives us 2 or 3 years to draft and groom his replacement? 

We didn't have to trade for Alex. We're not an Alex Smith away from a SB. We could have groomed a QB under McCoy or someone cheaper, without losing a 3rd round pick, without losing Fuller.

This was a desperation move.

Just now, ZRagone said:

Yeah! Because I'd much rather pay $8 mil to an expensive aging CB and other player as opposed to the cheap rookie deal CB we just gave up and the cheap 3rd round pick that it took to get this "cheaper" QB. 

We gave up two cheap potential starting pieces to get a cheaper QB and two expensive potential starting pieces. 

I'm only quoting this so perhaps it sinks in to some of these folks.

This isn't about Alex Smith.  He's fine and all.

Its about getting fleeced in a trade to beat out the Browns because we had no plan for when Kirk turned the tables on Bruce.  It's about losing 2 homegrown players, one rated the best at his position with 2 years left of a rookie salary, the other who will make roughly 3-5m more per season than his 34 year old replacement and no third round pick that could have been a starter for 4 years on the cheap.

The cherry on top is giving up the last shred of leverage to get anything for the 44M investment in Cousins the past two seasons.

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yes it was certainly possible to tell the player or his agent before it was leaked to the media. Or within the first half hour or hour after it was leaked. Or first two hours maybe, that would have been good. 

Don't do this to yourself. You are choosing the wrong hill to die on and looking like a fool while you do it. 

Until Kirk hamstrings his next team after signing his mega deal. And Fabian monreau and another draft pick more than replaces what was lost in ONE corner being traded.

Y'all are assuming there was any shot in hell Kirk would have ever signed. We would have been forced to let more talent go than just Fuller if we kept playing the franchise tag dance with Bible boy.

Don't chastise me homie. The Packers let Casey Hayward with no compensation. Also look at how many rooks or 2nd year players were top corners this year. They can be replaced and we may have already drafted one in moreau. Unless you still believe our talent evaluation is Vinny cerrato esque.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's not guaranteed.  We could have a situation last year where we should've received a 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th rounders.  But decided to be more aggressive in free agency and wiped away the comp picks.  It's about offsetting signings.

Exactly. If the whole point if Alex Smith is that it gives us more cap room to make Moves, that means we end up signing big free agents that ends up nullifying Cousins compensatory pick 

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You have to replace a player with a free agent to lose the comp pick. We will get the pick.

8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Anyone talking themselves into this deal after the info about Fuller came out is a ****ing moron and deserves what this team is doing. 

Or there are people like myself that are saying “yes, most likely this will turn out to be the worst trade ever and we’ll continue to suck” while at the same time choosing to be optimistic. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn’t make me or anyone else with that mindset a moron :) 

Oh well, hate we are losing Fuller, but will still pull for this team no matter what.  Kirk was not coming back and placing a 3rd franchise tag on him wasn't happening and most likely transition tagging him and matching an offer wasn't happening either.  

All we can do now is hope we can resign Breeland, draft defense in the first and second rounds and somehow land a decent WR/RB in the later rounds or FA.  While everything seems ****ty right now, I'm just glad the whole Kirk thing is finally over.  We know whats going on and can move forward, whether we like it or not.

Archived