Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

Well. I am Shocked by this news. Wow. 

With that being said, i think this is a good choice. Alex Smith is a good upgrade. He has played pretty well with the Chiefs. Not his fault Andy Reid blew that playoff game earlier this month :P 

for those that are not happy about this, or saying “im done with this team, wahhhh”, how about we wait to see what we do in FA and the draft, and how the team looks in training camp/pre season? Y’all going to just walk away cause Alex Smith is our New QB? 

Apparently one site already has this official :)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

Nick Foles cost $12 million.   A good backup at $17, assuming a young kid comes to start in two or three years won't be a bad deal for stability.   I still suspect this is NOT official and WON'T happen.   But, again, for $17 million I'd take Smith over Cousins at ANYTHING more than $22 million.   Tell me you wouldn't.

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I did know that because I’ve argued as much regarding how kirks contract won’t kill us as well if he doesn’t live up to it. 

I’m just saying. We wouldn’t commit to a young and much better version of this guy but we can commit to a 34yr old Alex smith for 5 years? Ok

4 years (reportedly) and we don’t know the structure. Most likely in reality we can get out after 2 years.

But let’s wait for details before anyone lights fireworks or jumps off a bridge.

This isn't as bad as the fanbase is making it out to be. Do you honestly think Smith would falter and fail with Jay Gruden tutoring him?

Let's take a look at what Jay has done

- tutored Dalton to be a good QB which he has regressed without Jay

- tutored Cousins to be somewhat good

- tutored other guys

What's to say he doesn't tutor and unleash the best out of Smith? Smith is not a bad QB. Am I saying it's a huge upgrade? No. Am I saying it's better than who the Giants pick (Rosen / Darnold)? No.

It's a gamble for sure. But it could pay off for the Redskins.

1 minute ago, Art said:

Nick Foles cost $12 million.   A good backup at $17, assuming a young kid comes to start in two or three years won't be a bad deal for stability.   I still suspect this is NOT official and WON'T happen.   But, again, for $17 million I'd take Smith over Cousins at ANYTHING more than $22 million.   Tell me you wouldn't.

I wouldn't... Not even close

Why do we continually agree to shoot ourselves in the foot?

Rest of the league: "I'm going to set a gun on the table...

Redskins FO: "Can I shoot myself in the foot with it?" 

Rest of the league: "Well, you could, but I'm just setting it down for second..."

Redskins FO: "Can I touch it?" 

Rest of the league: "I mean, I guess, but don't... OH DEAR GOD!" 

Here's the issue.

If we're giving up a 2nd round pick for him, it means the difference between his contract and Cousins needs to be worth at LEAST enough for solid starting quality free agent contracts. Why? Because if it's only good enough for one such contract, that's the equivalent of what the 2nd round pick is.

It's not the only aspect for judging this, but it's definitely part of it. If we get Smith for $18 per year and Cousins gets $30 per year, then sure...can make some sense. If we get Smith for $22 per year and Cousins signs for like $27? No, that's a big problem.

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I did know that because I’ve argued as much regarding how kirks contract won’t kill us as well if he doesn’t live up to it. 

I’m just saying. We wouldn’t commit to a young and much better version of this guy but we can commit to a 34yr old Alex smith for 5 years? Ok

Theres also money involved with contracts, not just years.

Dont know if you knew that.

2 minutes ago, Art said:

I wouldn’t  

Thing of it is, this is actually the best buyer's market for QBs in a while. It seems at least two of Bradford/Keenum/Bridgewater will come available, as well as Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, probably Tyrod Taylor and maybe even Blake Bortles. Also possibly AJ McCarron.  Not to mention a strong draft class. I think it would have been very possible to find a serviceable QB without forfeiting draft picks or picking up a player in their mid-30s. This just seems like a lose-lose move

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah the Alex Smith of the last few seasons isn’t the Alex Smith showing up in DC. He has no defense compared to Kc, no  running game, no weapon as good as Hill or Kelce. 

Should be fun

Uh...KC was 28th on defense.   Try again?

Just now, Mooka said:

Both.

Gruden will have to change it up a little to allow Smith more control. 

Pre snap read I disagree - I think Gruden does a great job of giving his QB solutions on either side of the formation for different coverages. I might agree with you on the audible side.

We aren't winning with Alex Smith. This is pointless. 

The move to make was to spend a high pick on a QB and let him develop behind Colt. Now we've got an aging QB and lost a high pick instead. How is that progress?

Dan and Bruce never fail to outdo themsekves. 

So at least a 2nd round pick for a soon to be 34 year old QB.  Old school Danny?  Doesn't this through out the window getting trade value for Kirk?  Granted it wasn't going to be easy.   I like Alex Smith the QB, if the method to the madness is not to skip a beat next season, this does that.  But long term?  Don't care for it. 

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
More

Kansas City is expected to receive a second-round pick from Washington for Alex Smith and possibly more, per source. But a second-round pick was the price as of this morning, before trade between KC and Washington finalized.

Archived