Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HapHaszard's Passing

Haszard4

Last time I saw Hap was a Week 4 Pre Season game down in Tampa. I flew into Tampa in August in the middle of a hellacious sinus infection. I couldn't stay hydrated due to the humidity & was constantly sneezing & coughing so I wasn't in the best of moods. I met up with him in the hotel lobby, where it was obvious he'd had a ****tail or several. It was kinda funny though because first thing he said was they couldn't find our credentials. This is something that both Murf & I myself are more then used to have happen. I asked him if he'd at least checked in, because we're also used to, at least once a season, not being on the reservation list. The younger, grizzled road vet in me just found it amusing because Hap was freaking out about the front desk not having our creds while his inner fan boy was bursting out pointing to Larry Michael & Sonny Jurgensen in the hotel lobby lounge area. 

We ended up grabbing a bite to eat at the hotel while waiting on our creds to arrive from PR. Then while we grabbed our gear were talking about trucks. I think he had just recently gotten a new one or looking into one. Anyways, we hit the stadium & went to the Press Box where we realized I didn't have Press Box meal access. Here's the thing though. The Bucs, & I have no idea where they get them from, but they have the absolute best chocolate chip cookies on the planet. And Hap knew I came to Tampa just for those. Now, Hap got in no problem & that was the last I saw of him for the next several hours. I headed down to the photographer's  room. 

Here's the thing though, we meet back up after the game & head back to the hotel. Hap tells me he got me something & reaches in his bag. He pulls out a stack of cookies he wrapped up in napkins from the press box. 

He was a great man. A great friend. He was the best of us.

3 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Thanks for sharing. And really thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. Really took a lot of time to do this. And devoted his time to the message board. May you all be blessed!

*May 'Big Brother Hap' Forever Rest in Eternal Bliss.

My Condolences to His Kith and Kindred...

Hail...

I've been on here for years and, like many here, HapHaszard was a major reason why I kept coming back. I was always amazed at the time he spent keeping us updated. He made this message board the single point of Redskins news and I have never felt any need to go elsewhere, despite the arguments raging at times. He will be sorely missed and thank you to his family for sharing him with us. RIP Hap.

What a heartbreaking loss, our deepest and most sincere condolences go out to his family. Their interactions here are such a reflection of what an essentially good man Hap was, that kind of guy that brought out the best in others just be being around them. I never met Hap IRL but spoke with him here often and you just knew what a genuine sort he was, that friend you could always share a drink with, share a joke with, share a tear with all equally because you knew he would share his kindness and understanding and humor in return.

I am stunned to read this and tbh cannot even adequately express myself.

6 hours ago, TK said:

Last time I saw Hap was a Week 4 Pre Season game down in Tampa. I flew into Tampa in August in the middle of a hellacious sinus infection. I couldn't stay hydrated due to the humidity & was constantly sneezing & coughing so I wasn't in the best of moods. I met up with him in the hotel lobby, where it was obvious he'd had a ****tail or several. It was kinda funny though because first thing he said was they couldn't find our credentials. This is something that both Murf & I myself are more then used to have happen. I asked him if he'd at least checked in, because we're also used to, at least once a season, not being on the reservation list. The younger, grizzled road vet in me just found it amusing because Hap was freaking out about the front desk not having our creds while his inner fan boy was bursting out pointing to Larry Michael & Sonny Jurgensen in the hotel lobby lounge area. 

We ended up grabbing a bite to eat at the hotel while waiting on our creds to arrive from PR. Then while we grabbed our gear were talking about trucks. I think he had just recently gotten a new one or looking into one. Anyways, we hit the stadium & went to the Press Box where we realized I didn't have Press Box meal access. Here's the thing though. The Bucs, & I have no idea where they get them from, but they have the absolute best chocolate chip cookies on the planet. And Hap knew I came to Tampa just for those. Now, Hap got in no problem & that was the last I saw of him for the next several hours. I headed down to the photographer's  room. 

Here's the thing though, we meet back up after the game & head back to the hotel. Hap tells me he got me something & reaches in his bag. He pulls out a stack of cookies he wrapped up in napkins from the press box. 

He was a great man. A great friend. He was the best of us.

Thanks TK. He spoke of you often. He was very fond of you. I think I remember the story about them loosing his credentials. I didn't hear about the cookies.

I could see him acting like a kid in a candy store over meeting Redskins. I remember being in a steak house when I was a kid and Mark Mosley was in the restaurant. Kid in a candy store.

I never spoke with Hap, and now I regret not reaching out, but in my dozen or so years at ES I always had great respect for him and his tireless contributions to the site. You can tell he loved what he did because he never sought a pat on the back for all that work. I'm not surprised that he was an avid reader, as it takes a ton of reading to digest all of the articles he posted. 

RIP 

I was in the picture of the original post with Huly and Hap.  I was lucky enough to have got to know him some as we would talk at tailgates and later cover a couple games together for ES.  He was a good man and I will miss him.  But that picture shows what went on most of the times I was with him.  Laughter, great stories, and good times. That will be my enduring memory of Hap.  I am so sorry for your family.  It's a terrible loss.  

I've been off the site for a week or so, and this is terrible to see. I'm so sorry for your loss, and am keeping your family in my thoughts. You've got one heck of a Redskins support group here, so don't hesitate to let anybody know if we can do something. RIP HapHaszard and HTTR!

Archived