Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Josh Doctson the new 50/50?

Redskinscub

After the Redskins drafted Rod Gardner, Bruce Smith gave him the nickname 50/50 because there was a 50/50 chance he would catch the ball thrown to him. Is it time to use this nickname again for Josh? or is he more like Michael Westbrook who was injured most of the time?  

It's a bit unfair of a name at this point in his career.  Sadly, I think he's under a 50% catch ratio.  Part of that is on the QB, part of it's on the type of shots they take to him (ie: 50/50 balls), but ultimately it's on him.

He appears more physically gifted than Gardner ever was.  If he ends up flaming out, I'm going to venture a guess its due to his mental makeup and not inability to make catches.

I may be in the minority here, but nothing about Doctson impresses me. He doesn't have game breaking speed, doesn't create separation on routes, and does't appear to have reliable hands. He can jump pretty high, so that's cool. 

Everyone seems to preach patience, but I'm not convinced on his raw skill set.  

He seems very tentative--almost scared.  It could be the case that he hasn't had much in the way of mentorship, which can be really invaluable for a young receiver.  I think he needs to give some serious thought in the offseason to going to one of those performance camps or training with a bone fide top tier receiver and really mastering his craft.  The drops and sloppy route running from him were really disappointing. 

4 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

He seems very tentative--almost scared.  It could be the case that he hasn't had much in the way of mentorship, which can be really invaluable for a young receiver.  I think he needs to give some serious thought in the offseason to going to one of those performance camps or training with a bone fide top tier receiver and really mastering his craft.  The drops and sloppy route running from him were really disappointing. 

That's where a guy like Garcon woulda come in handy.  But even if it wasnt Garcon, I was concerned this receiving corps didnt have a sage vet with a wealth of knowledge.  Brian Quick was the "old" vet and he didnt even really play much.

Just now, justice98 said:

That's where a guy like Garcon woulda come in handy.  But even if it wasnt Garcon, I was concerned this receiving corps didnt have a sage vet with a wealth of knowledge.  Brian Quick was the "old" vet and he didnt even really play much.

Exactly--there were no vets to show him the ropes this year.  I think that's a lot to ask of a second year player at the WR position.  And i agree we should have never let Garcon walk, but such are the Redskins.

JD needs to hit the weights, he doesn't seem to be a guy who can beat people with speed or quickness.

If he can add some muscle in his upper body I think it does him wonders next season, CB's are physical these days and I watched Josh get muscled off the ball several times this season.

Lets maybe wait until next season to give him a nickname.  This was his rookie season, he had 500 yards, 6 TDs, and created 2-3 others due to pass interference penalties at the 1.

Rod Gardner was thrown over 100 balls in every season here.  Statistically the only season of his that Doctson hasnt ALREADY eclipsed was his 2nd season, where he had 141 targets.  Doctson only got 78 targets, and got almost 1/3rd of those in just the last 2 weeks of the season. If he had 141 targets like Rod did his stat line would have been 903 yards,11 TDs.  Statistically this year was also better than 2 out of Garcons last 3 years here.  Maybe give him a sophomore year?

I'm hoping he can turn it around, but at this point any optimism is coming from the few flashes we've seen while hoping he can keep the bad plays out of his head. 

He kinda reminds me of ex-Eagle WR Todd Pinkston. Pinkston had a slight frame (6'3, 180 lbs) and made some play throughout his career. He was resigned to a extension, but I believe suffered an Achilles tear that effectively ended his career. 

I'm not saying that as foreshadowing of failure, but rather doing a player comparison. Looking at Pinkston's historic stats in his 3rd year he had 60 catches, 53% catch, ~800 yards and 7 TDs. If he had a season along those lines we'd be happy with the progression. Personally I think he has real trouble beating tight man coverage and getting of the line of scrimmage. 

I'm moving on. Those first 2 2016 picks are amazing.

If he comes back in 2018 with a vengeance, then I will be impressed, but for someone who played the entire season, I really don't see anything right now to suggest to me that he'll be worth that #1 selection. 

He's about as physical as a field mouse going for a slice of cheese, and he doesn't seem fast or quick enough to make up for it, hence his uneven and usually milk carton performance this year. 

At this point, I don't like him, although I reserve the right to change my mind if he shows a lot more next year than he's shown so far. 

First off, 50/50 is generous. He'd be more like 20/80. Not all those are his fault, but many are. He doesn't fight for the ball nearly hard enough, and he clearly is not running proper routes at times, letting defenders get in front of him. 

My biggest issue with him really is his demeanor. He's way too subdued, even on the field. It seems like after every catch (or drop), he just sort of slowly gets up and meanders back to the huddle like he couldn't care less. If you're producing, I'd have a lot less of a problem with it, but he simply isn't. He seems to have no fire at all. Not that he has to be some sort of "in your face" player, but at least show some excitement/passion/inspiration. The whole issue with his lost first season still remains bizarre to me, too. 

In short, he doesn't seem like that "football player" that SM preached about getting, much like Cravens. Doesn't seem to love what he's doing at all. 

Like I said, I'll cut him a little slack this season, because it was basically his rookie year and there were no veterans there to help him along the way, but ... usually those types of personality traits are there for good, so if he does suddenly blossom into a great, productive receiver, I'll be surprised. But pleasantly so. 

One season actually starting and this thread pops up. Give the kid some time. Damn. He's got stuff to work on but the potential is clearly there. What the hell happened to the days of rooting for our players to succeed and develop? All it is now is player x sucks if they aren't an immediate all-pro. Makes our fan base look bad.

1 hour ago, elkabong82 said:

One season actually starting and this thread pops up. Give the kid some time. Damn. He's got stuff to work on but the potential is clearly there. What the hell happened to the days of rooting for our players to succeed and develop? All it is now is player x sucks if they aren't an immediate all-pro. Makes our fan base look bad.

I do agree that all draft picks need time, but at the same time he was a first round draft pick (22nd over all) and he's entering year 3 of a 4 year contract. By the end of next season the team has to know what he is so they can either start allocating some cap space to his extension or draft his replacement. 

I'm okay with his 35 catches, 502 yards and 6 TDs, but the 44.9% catch rate is a bit troubling especially when vivid memories of drops jump into my mind immediately. 

My avatar sums up how I feel about the guy. He's as soft as cottage cheese when it comes to fighting for receptions.

I wish he had hands like cottage cheese though, cause he is summoning the ghost of old stone hands Carlos Rogers with how bad he sucks at catching the ball.

bearish.

3 hours ago, shakinaiken said:

I may be in the minority here, but nothing about Doctson impresses me. He doesn't have game breaking speed, doesn't create separation on routes, and does't appear to have reliable hands. He can jump pretty high, so that's cool. 

Doctson does nothing for me. He should have played basketball since he can jump out of the gym. Because he surely isn't a NFL wr. He's so soft. He is the total opposite of what Garcon was. 

1 hour ago, elkabong82 said:

He couldn't get open on the Giants 4th string corner. That's not a little concerning for you? 

4 hours ago, shakinaiken said:

I was not crazy about the Doct pick by SM but I was not crazy about any of his picks and I believe Doct was picked because he could out jump everyone in college and SM wanted to improve red zone receiving by throwing up jump balls. Problem is that he is not in college anymore and everyone he goes up against can jump as high as him making it a choir to catch a pass. You are right that his only asset is his jumping ability. When I see the Shu Shu guy the Steelers get when they draft a receiver and when I watch Doct I can see why SM got canned.

I'm a Redskins fan who just dealt Doctson for a rookie QB with a torn ACL in a start- 1QB dynasty league...that should tell you all you need to know about my opinion of Doctson.

I hold out hope he'll break out and be elite next season. But I'm betting he's more of a #2 WR long-term, with nice RZ upside. 

I think they are misusing Doctson. It seems to me that he should have the Art Monk role. Mid range, short, possession guy who moves the sticks. He isn't Monk, but that's the role I think he should have. Instead, they seem to want him to be Desean Jackson despite not having breakaway speed. I think game planning has put Josh at a disadvantage. Use him like teams used Keyshawn Johnson or other big receivers with size, but not top line speed.

I guess they had no one else to be the deep threat, but it seems that role is just not what Doctson should do best.

4 hours ago, skins4eva said:

Exactly--there were no vets to show him the ropes this year.  I think that's a lot to ask of a second year player at the WR position.  And i agree we should have never let Garcon walk, but such are the Redskins.

Garcon was an intense game day performer, but I really don't remember ever reading anything about him taking teammates under his wing or mentoring them in any way. It seem that he kept to himself. Have you read anything to the contrary?

It is too early to judge Doctson.  I prefer to remain hopeful and consider 2017 Doctson's first year, because of his season-ending injury in 2016.  So in his "first" season he flashed some leaping ability and made some catches.  I think we ought to all suspend our evaluation of him until he has played another season.  Hopefully, Doctson is able to make a big leap as good receivers do after a couple of seasons under their belt.

28 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think they are misusing Doctson. It seems to me that he should have the Art Monk role. Mid range, short, possession guy who moves the sticks. He isn't Monk, but that's the role I think he should have. Instead, they seem to want him to be Desean Jackson despite not having breakaway speed. I think game planning has put Josh at a disadvantage. Use him like teams used Keyshawn Johnson or other big receivers with size, but not top line speed.

I guess they had no one else to be the deep threat, but it seems that role is just not what Doctson should do best.

I'd like that too, but when they do have him running the short stuff he's failing to get separation.  That could be my selective memory kicking in but I'm not seeing him win those routes enough.  Maybe one day he will, I sure hope so. 

He definitely had a lot of bad drops this year.  I think 50/50 could be a good nickname for him but he needs another season.  I agree with @elkabong82's post, people around here freak the **** out if someone isn't an All Pro after like 3 games.  

Dude made it through the season healthy, that's a good start.  It was a decent season for him, IMO.  There are things to build on.

25 out of his 35 catches went for a first down.  14.3 yards per catch is decent.  6 td's is nice.  

Here's a guy that needs to put in some serious work this offseason.  If he does, I think he can double the catches and the yards next year while catching a higher percentage of balls thrown his way.

Archived