Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

On 12/2/2018 at 4:53 PM, Riggo#44 said:

I know what it's like to let what you did wrong overwhelm what you did right and hope that's not where he is.

Everyday I see this thread bumped I prepare myself for Harper news.  My dad is already going to pissed we stole Corbin from the Yankees, I'm sure he's going to love this.

As for Harper at 1B, I acknowledge it wouldn't be ideal, is it worth losing that bat?  If we still unafraid to spend money to stay competitive, just do it and regret it later if it doesn't work as planned, moving him back to OF if need be.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/nationals-to-sign-patrick-corbin.html

The addition of Corbin at such a lofty rate will leave many to wonder whether the Nationals have moved on from Bryce Harper. The addition of Corbin’s $23.33MM annual salary will bring the Nationals’ luxury tax ledger to a bit more than $188MM for the 2019 season — about $17.9MM south of the luxury tax line. Obviously, adding Harper to the fold would tax the Nationals well north of the $206MM luxury line, but the Nationals demonstrated last year that they were comfortable crossing that threshold.

Beyond that, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo has suggested that the Nats payroll could support both an extension for Anthony Rendon and a new contract for Harper. While it’s possible that the addition of Corbin could make it difficult to ultimately sign both Rendon and Harper long-term, Rizzo’s prior comments at the very least lend credence to the notion that both Corbin and Harper could coexist on an increasingly large payroll. Furthermore, as Janes tweets, the Nats’ front office knows that in order to retain Harper, ownership will need to make an “unprecedented commitment” and looks to be building up the roster while leaving a decision on Harper in the hands of the Lerner family.

For laughs:

On Twitter, 3 hours ago, from national baseball writer Bob Nightengale:

"The #Phillies are making it clear to marquee free-agent starter Patrick Corbin that they won't be out-bid, and teams still in the hunt for Corbin's services realize it, too."

25 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This is why, even if this is the end, I feel like we can very much survive life without Bryce. So long as we still have Rizzo, I'm confident.

I'm with you.  In terms of Power Rankings of critical-to-success sports-related people in DC, which would be a cool thread, it goes:

1)  Ovechkin

2)  Rizzo

3)  Scherzer?  

31 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm with you.  In terms of Power Rankings of critical-to-success sports-related people in DC, which would be a cool thread, it goes:

1)  Ovechkin

2)  Rizzo

3)  Scherzer?  

1.) I don't follow all that hockey malarkey 

2.) Yes

3.) Yes

Corbin is something we only had that one year when Gio was a Cy Young candidate.  He makes our rotation a completely different animal.  And with his approach, I think it's a good bet that he'll pitch at a high level into his early to mid 30s.  Great ****ing signing.  Wow.  Was not expecting this offseason to be so good.

Archived