Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

The more I think about Lerner’s comments/admission the other day the more irritated I get. Staying in the Harper sweepstakes was a good reason not to go after Goldschmidt. Staying in the Harper sweepstakes was a good reason to not trade him at the deadline. 

If the best offer you were going to make was the 10yr 300m one you started with, you were never really in the sweepstakes. Anybody could have told you that YEARS ago. Pathetically poor management by the ownership group. 

After listening to Rizzo since Lerner. I have another theory that has been mentioned. Boras might not be getting much better than the Nats offer from anybody. Including Philly who sounds like they are hot on Machado this week (could always change).

What if they go back to the Nats and ask for a much shorter deal. Like 4 years at 35M per.

Would you take it? I would.

52 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

A lot of you clearly don't understand economics or supply and demand and diminishing returns. 

BS!  I demand that Lerners supply their money to resign Harper or my returns to Tysons and Lerner properties will diminish!  See I understand!

Its not out of the realm of possibility that the demand for Harper really isn't THAT high, and that he's not as looked highly upon among baseball front offices as he is by the fans and media. I mean lets be honest, other then his 2015 MVP season has he really lived up to the hype? He's been a good if not very good player but other then one great year, he's also been inconsistent and injury prone. He isn't nearly as good as say Mike Trout.

Bit on Roark from MLBTR (link: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/player-rumors-realmuto-gonzalez-roark.html)

• Tanner Roark’s name is being floated in trade circles as someone the Nationals would be willing to surrender, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter). This jives with earlier reports that the Nationals continue to seek rotation reinforcements, even after the signing of Patrick Corbin. Roark, 32, has been a steady rotation presence for the past three seasons, though he has yet to recapture the magic of a 2016 that saw him post a 16-10 record with a 2.83 ERA over 210 innings. The last two seasons seem more in line with expectations moving forward, as Roark has averaged 30 starts, 181 innings, and a 4.50 ERA (4.20 FIP) over that span. His 2019 salary is projected around $9.8MM, making him a relatively affordable one-year option as he enters his last year of arbitration, though depending on the assets being asked in return, a free agent flyer, in the ilk of Tyson Ross’s recent $5.75MM deal with Detroit, may be just as (if not more) attractive to teams looking to fill out the back end of their rotation. For the Nationals, it’s a little surprising to see them shopping Roark given their lack of established depth in the upper levels of the minors. It’s not surprising that they’d want to upgrade the rotation behind Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg and Corbin, but to do so at the cost of Roark feels unnecessarily Sisyphean. After dealing Jefry Rodriguez to the Indians in the Yan Gomes deal, top in-house rotation candidates beyond Roark include Joe Ross, 25, Erick Fedde, 25, and Kyle McGowin, 27 – none of whom would necessarily be considered “established” rotation pieces.

21 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

What are we giving him up for?  Unless it's a starting 2nd baseman, why move him?   Maybe a younger, long term SP that may be a year away?  

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. He had an up and down year last year--he was either really good or absolutely horrible. Unless we can get someone that will give use 180-200 IP of a 3 WAR pitcher, than we need to hold onto him.

However, he could be in serious decline too. He's way over-achieved anything we could have hoped for when we dealt Cristian Guzman for him back in 2010. I think this is who he is going to be--a hittable, back-end guy.

More thoughts from Talk Nats: https://www.talknats.com/2018/12/11/breaking-sources-say-tanner-roark-shopped-trades/

https://www.federalbaseball.com/2018/12/11/18135726/trade-market-suggests-madison-bumgarner-within-reach-washington-nationals

If the prospects dealt for Goldschmidt are remotely similar to those San Francisco is asking in exchange for Bumgarner, the Washington Nationals should jump all over it. Victor Robles would be completely off the table and it wouldn’t be far-fetched to suggest they could come to an agreement without including the team’s No. 2 prospect Carter Kieboom as well.

The Giants’ farm system is one of the weaker groups in baseball, ranked seventh-worst in the sport by FanGraphs last month. While the Nats didn’t fare much better at 18th overall, they do have MLB Pipeline’s No. 81-ranked prospect in Luis Garcia.

An 18-year-old middle infielder projected to reach the majors in 2021, Garcia (55 grade per MLB Pipeline) is blocked by Kieboom and Trea Turner in the Nats’ organization. His ability to play all over the infield could entice the Giants to build a package around him, especially considering the team isn’t set on sticking with Joe Panik at second base long term.

With Washington still in search of another pitcher to round out the rotation, it could always opt to settle on a lower-floor starter who wouldn’t cost as much as Bumgarner in either prospects or salary. But according to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi, both the Philadelphia Phillies and Atlanta Braves are among the clubs interested in the Giants’ ace.

MadBum would be a great get. But I am curious about his health is a question mark and Luis Garcia is quickly approaching Soto/Kieboom/Robles territory. BA said this about him:

Thanks for the question Tim. It makes sense to start out with Garcia, who might be the most exciting player in the farm for the Nationals right now, given that most people know what Robles is capable of at this point. He might be the best hitter in the system now that Soto has graduated, and you wouldn’t have to search around too much to find people who put 70/60 on his hit/power tools. I’m a little more conservative than that presently but he has tremendous aptitude in the batter’s box and makes adjustments incredibly well, particularly given his age relative to the league, as you mentioned. I’m not big on comps in general, but I was responsible for our Appy League list and Garcia reminded me a lot of Wander Franco in many ways.

a 70/60 hit/power combo would be Rendon. .300 hitter with 25ish homers, from a shortstop.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

MadBum would be a great get. But I am curious about his health is a question mark and Luis Garcia is quickly approaching Soto/Kieboom/Robles territory. BA said this about him:

a 70/60 hit/power combo would be Rendon. .300 hitter with 25ish homers, from a shortstop.

I wonder who Washington would have selected at 6 had Atlanta been able to come up with the $750,000 to sign Rendon out of HS. 

Archie Bradley

Lindor

Baez

Cory Spandenberg

Springer

Taylor Jungmann

Nimmo

Jose Fernandez

Those picks followed Rendon, what an incredible class, what a phenomenal job done by most of those teams.

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Not to get into a political discussion, but it's one of my go-to's, and I think she's the new Sarah Palin.

Palin isn’t any more intelligent than your most recent deposit into the commode, only one side of the isle trafficks in such egregious ignorance. 

Archived