Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

Any kind of discussion on sabermetrics or BP link instantly is over my head. I mean you got people saying WELL SO AND SO PITCHED IN THIS ERA SO HIS ERA HAS TO BE ADJUSTED POSITIVELY OR NEGATIVELY AND HIS WAR IS 3 SO HE CONTRIBUTED 3 WINS TO THIS TEAM AS COMPARED TO A REPLACEMENT AAA PLAYER and I'm like Whoa. Slow down there fella. One at a time. I could sit down and read an article from FanGraphs or BP slowly, trying to read what they're trying to tell me, and it would still make no sense. And I'm like, what are you trying to tell me here. You're going to have to eli1 with pictures and cartoons and stuff.

I mean I respect the numbers game but my brain has long since lost the ability to understand mathematics and advanced statistics. I am aware of their popular use in front offices man but I cannot number crunch nothing and all these quantitative assessments just make my head hurt.

10 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

This team is loaded again. Barring catastrophic injuries the team will be in the playoffs. 

Looking at the rest of the NL at this moment in January, the Nationals, on paper, look to be the team most October ready.

But we will see what happens 

The bullpen for a full season has me the most excited. Thet blew so many damn games last year, and now they look practically bulletproof. That alone, along with a settled 5th starter will alleviate any potential dip in offensive production. Can't wait.

Overly negative possibilities to balance out the thread, thus appeasing the baseball gods:

-- Max starts his decline. He turns 34 in July, he had some nagging injuries this past year.

-- The Ryanssaince ends, returning to .220/.290/.375 slashline

-- Murphy does not recover fully from knee-surgery (think 2015 Rendon)

-- Key bench players Difo and Goodwin fall off

-- Gio sucks like he did in Game 5

-- MAT returns to his .650 OPS 35% K rate

-- Matt Wieters

-- Madson struggles with age and injuries, Doolittle's shoulder gives him trouble again, Kinzler struggles in closer's role

-- Martinez is way over his head

Even with all of that, we should still be better than the Braves and Phillies. Mets and Marlins are going to be trainwrecks. I will thoroughly enjoy watching the Mets ineptitude this year.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Middle of the order could definitely be an adventure, no doubt. But with Eaton and Trea  leading off, all you need is to get some solid wood somewhere (no Hibbert). If Bryce stays relatively healthy, I think he can carry Murph and Zimm if he has to.

I am expecting Roark to rebound without the WBC ****ing everything up, and I think this is Stephen's year. I think he goes out and shoves all year--with a sneer.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am expecting Roark to rebound without the WBC ****ing everything up, and I think this is Stephen's year. I think he goes out and shoves all year--with a sneer.

We'll see how Martinez handles the staff. I think with the bullpen firepower,  we won't see Max, Roark, Gio, etc having to gut out so many innings. They'll all probably be more fresh and less stressed out over the long run. That was rough.

Im most worried about Gio though, especially after what happened in the playoffs. You never know with him.

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Any kind of discussion on sabermetrics or BP link instantly is over my head. I mean you got people saying WELL SO AND SO PITCHED IN THIS ERA SO HIS ERA HAS TO BE ADJUSTED POSITIVELY OR NEGATIVELY AND HIS WAR IS 3 SO HE CONTRIBUTED 3 WINS TO THIS TEAM AS COMPARED TO A REPLACEMENT AAA PLAYER and I'm like Whoa. Slow down there fella. One at a time. I could sit down and read an article from FanGraphs or BP slowly, trying to read what they're trying to tell me, and it would still make no sense. And I'm like, what are you trying to tell me here. You're going to have to eli1 with pictures and cartoons and stuff.

^^^ Is that a Dusty Baker quote?

19 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Middle of the order could definitely be an adventure, no doubt. But with Eaton and Trea  leading off, all you need is to get some solid wood somewhere (no Hibbert). If Bryce stays relatively healthy, I think he can carry Murph and Zimm if he has to.

Who's that quiet guy that NOBODY has mentioned when talking about the middle of the lineup? The Nat who is a 20 homer, top 10 .OBP player, and Gold Glove level infielder to boot?

Let's let Tony two Bags continue to fly under the radar, as long as he keeps up his consistent production.

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Who's that quiet guy that NOBODY has mentioned when talking about the middle of the lineup? The Nat who is a 20 homer, top 10 .OBP player, and Gold Glove level infielder to boot?

Let's let Tony two Bags continue to fly under the radar, as long as he keeps up his consistent production.

And bat 5th or 6th.

9 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I haven't mentioned him because I don't view him as a potential concern. Right now, I'm thinking about 3-5. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I haven't mentioned him because I don't view him as a potential concern. Right now, I'm thinking about 3-5. 

:cheers:

~~~~

Is Adam Eaton projected to start in left field?  Should that be a concern?  I looked it up, and he's only started 29 games there in his career.

9 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

:cheers:

~~~~

Is Adam Eaton projected to start in left field?  Should that be a concern?  I looked it up, and he's only started 29 games there in his career.

He is a much better corner OF than CF. The last time he played in a corner he was a 6+WAR player. I am not worried about Spanky at all.

Gio should be fine in the regular season. No real pressure, he'll as usual mow down lineups like the Braves and Marlins with ease. Its the playoff where his nerves get the best of him. I'd use the crap out of him in the regular season then outright ditch him in October, maybe even go as far as leave him off the playoff roster. He's gotta be the mentally weakest athlete I've ever seen.

I'm not concerned about Scherzer declining. I mean, he might decline a bit, but at worst he'll still be a very good #1/#2 starting P. He keeps himself in great shape though and he's such a competitor, I think he'll be a stud for the next few years. We're not talking about a fatass CC Sabathia late in his career here. And his decline will coincide with Stras just hitting his stride as a SP, assuming health of course.

The Murphy injury does concern me though. Difo is good but he's not the hitter Murph is. The defense will be better with Difo in though. Zimm...who knows? I'm hopeful, but he's gotta stay healthy.

Remember though, we get Eaton back, and I think Taylor will continue to play at a high level, I think the lightbulb has turned on for him. The speed on the basepaths will be sick.

All in all we'll probably win 95+ games again, could see 100+ since the division will suck again. After that, once again, who the hell knows, welcome to the lottery that is playoff baseball. Maybe this year we'll hit the right numbers...

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Zimm...who knows? I'm hopeful, but he's gotta stay healthy.

Maybe we'll see a lot of Matt Adams in order to keep Zimm healthy and rested... say 30 or 40 starts in '18.

----

I wonder how Koda Gover fits into the bullpen puzzle. He was cleared to start throwing again in November and was due to start throwing off a mound this month.

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think the quiet offseason was designed to keep their powder dry for a trade deadline acquisition, likely a top-end pitcher rental a la Verlander or to replace an injured every day player.  

The problem is we are pushing the luxury tax threshold, if we do surpass it, it may make it really difficult to sign Bryce

Archived