Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think our "lean years" are going to be not-that-bad. The Phillies and Braves could be really good, but we'll at least be competitive--even if we lose Bryce. Rizzo et al have shown the ability to stock the farm system and keep the pipeline coming. 

I guess being a D.C. sports fans makes you expect the worst. As long as they can stay above .500 during those years and remain in the hunt through the season, I'll be happy. 

Still...the Senators staying and having a winning team would have been pretty bad ass. Can you imagine RFK hosting a decisive ALCS or World Series game?

32 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

I guess being a D.C. sports fans makes you expect the worst. As long as they can stay above .500 during those years and remain in the hunt through the season, I'll be happy. 

Still...the Senators staying and having a winning team would have been pretty bad ass. Can you imagine RFK hosting a decisive ALCS or World Series game?

It would have been chaotic. But I'll happily settle for Nats Park hosting one...well, NLCS

13 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Astros starting rotation is FILTHY 

I'm headed south in mid-March for our annual Nats' spring training visit.  We've been talking about how different the vibe will be now that the Nats' site partner, the Astros, are reigning World Champions.  I expect bigger crowds and more media.  One of the games we'll go to will be at the park against the Astros, with the Nats listed as visitors.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This team is gonna be a blast to watch

I’m still a little more down on our chances this year than most. Too many serious regression candidates and injury risks to reasonably expect to put up another 95+ win season. We’ll still win the division, barring something weird happening. But I’m not feeling the superteam vibe by any means. 

I think our health HAS to be better than last year, but I am worried about Murph and Zimm playing at the level they did last year.  Excited to see what Eaton adds.

I think the Nats will win the division, and I think the margin of error in the playoffs is so small it's anyone's ballgame once they get in (assuming they don't collapse).  

I don't think this is a superteam either, but I think they have a ton of talent and I'm glad they aren't the favorite so they can just play ball without the weight of crushing expectations.  I'm just going to buckle in and enjoy the ride.  

23 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

...think they have a ton of talent and I'm glad they aren't the favorite so they can just play ball without the weight of crushing expectations.  

Can explain that better in general ? 

The teams with loads of talent should have high expectations right ? 

They are expected to make the playoffs right ?

No pressure, No diamonds. 

16 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Can explain that better in general ? 

The teams with loads of talent should have high expectations right ? 

They are expected to make the playoffs right ?

No pressure, No diamonds. 

Was specifically referencing the 2013 season when Davey said it was World Series or bust.  They then missed the playoffs despite being loaded.  This year, they are expected to make the playoffs, but I don't think anyone considers them (1) the favorite (Dodgers, Indians, Astros) or (2) the team with the most talent (Dodgers, Astros) or (3) the team with the most hype (Yankees).  Of the "Super Seven" they arguably have the least pressure. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’m still a little more down on our chances this year than most. Too many serious regression candidates and injury risks to reasonably expect to put up another 95+ win season. We’ll still win the division, barring something weird happening. But I’m not feeling the superteam vibe by any means. 

the bullpen will be there all year. We lost about 15 games in the first half alone on that.  having mighty mouse at the top of the lineup will help guys like Harper and Turner.  

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Definitely a lot of reasons to be cautious, but hopefully even if Murph and Zimm (my biggest '18 question marks) fall back, hopefully Trey, Eaton, MAT , and the bullpen can balance it out.

I don't expect them to be an offensive juggernaut like they were early last year, but I expect a smarter, more well rounded and timely hitting team 

I think we're still in need of another quality starter. Not too worried about Matt. I know we can expect Stephen to miss a little time with an injury, but should be solid. But Gio is such an emotional wreck at times, especially in high pressure starts. Roark could wind up having a good season... or not. After that, who do we have - Cole and Ross. Not exactly awe inspiring.  

Archived