Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Three team trade that sends Bryce and Zimmerman to the AL, Nats get Realmuto, Yelich, and Bour, Marlins get a buttload of prospects from the Nats and AL team. Window remains open for 5 more years. 

Edit- Michael A Taylor is probably a Marlin in this scenario. Nats OF is Eaton, Yelich, Robles for years. I’d do this in a heartbeat. 

15 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Three team trade that sends Bryce and Zimmerman to the AL, Nats get Realmuto, Yelich, and Bour, Marlins get a buttload of prospects from the Nats and AL team. Window remains open for 5 more years. 

Edit- Michael A Taylor is probably a Marlin in this scenario. Nats OF is Eaton, Yelich, Robles for years. I’d do this in a heartbeat. 

Man, trading Zimm and Bryce? That's a tough, tough sell. Arguably, it sets us up better in the long run--especially if we can hold onto Robles...

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Man, trading Zimm and Bryce? That's a tough, tough sell. Arguably, it sets us up better in the long run--especially if we can hold onto Robles...

I had a long detailed conversation about this with my buddy this morning, who is a baseball stats and contracts wiz.

Basically Zimmerman is un-tradeable with his contract (not to mention his full no trade clause). So taking Zimmerman and Bour out of the equation, Nats would still make out like bandits if it was Bryce to an AL team (call it the Red Sox), MAT to the Marlins, and prospects from both the Sox and Nats to the Marlins. Yelich’s favorable contract makes him a prized trade piece and it would take more than one year of Bryce to land him. Sox would have to be desperate to keep up with the Yanks to make this move... which they might be if they miss out on JD Martinez. 

It would set the Nats up so well for the next 5 years though. They’d have an incredibly fast lineup (Yelich Eaton Robles and Turner prob worth about 130 steals), they’d be young and cheap, you’d be able to re-sign Rendon easily, and you’d be able to add some good pieces in the next couple years to keep that window open as long as Scherzer and Stras hold up. 

Nats would be morons not to do a similar trade if the opportunity presented itself. It probably won’t though, AND I doubt the Lerners sign off on trading Bryce even if they had the great return that Yelich and Realmuto represent. 

I actually...wouldn't mind that trade at all. At first I was like HELL NO but the more I think about it, the more the good vastly outweighs the bad.

I'd like to hang onto Taylor though. If we could do that trade while keeping Taylor, I'd pull the trigger.

There is no reason to trade Zimm and Bryce to acquire Yelich and Realmuto.  If you are acquiring Yelich (under control through 2022), you can trade either MAT or Robles.  Zimmerman is a very good defensive 1B, who can platoon with Adams and make a potent R/L combo.  With Realmuto under control through 2021, you can afford to trade a catcher like Severino or Read (or both).

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Nationals have expressed interest in Lance Lynn.

Rosenthal notes that the Nats' pursuit of Lynn is complicated by the fact that they're already over the $197 million luxury-tax threshold. However, the club could use a fifth starter and Lynn would be reunited with former pitching coach Derek Lilliquist in Washington. The Rangers, Brewers, Twins and Orioles have also been connected to the 30-year-old right-hander.
Source: The Athletic
Jan 7 - 11:49 AM

2 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Post season baseball, you are a cruel, cruel mistress. 

Well, guess we'll just enjoy the ride over the summer and hope for the best in October. 

That's pretty much all anyone can do. The difference between winning and losing in October is seconds and inches...

There is a reason I posted what I did in my signature, and it's emblazoned in the Hall of Fame

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

It would be much more cruel for them to advance, get everyone's hopes up, then choke in the NLCS.  

Welp - guess who isn't sleeping tonight because this will be on his mind. 

City hasn't won a pennant since FDR's first year in office. 

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It would be much more cruel for them to advance, get everyone's hopes up, then choke in the NLCS.  

Disagree. Getting over that ****ing hump is huge for this city. We need a final four appearance.

1 minute ago, thebluefood said:

Welp - guess who isn't sleeping tonight because this will be on his mind. 

City hasn't won a pennant since FDR's first year in office. 

I lose sleep about what the team will look like in 2019, and how the Braves and Phillies are building. I sleep well when I ponder the Mets future.

Lately, I've been lulling myself to sleep dreaming of an alternative universe where the Senators stayed in Washington and built a winning franchise in the 1970s and beyond instead of bolting for Texas because if there are lean years awaiting the Nationals, its gonna be hard getting through them. 

1 minute ago, thebluefood said:

Lately, I've been lulling myself to sleep dreaming of an alternative universe where the Senators stayed in Washington and built a winning franchise in the 1970s and beyond instead of bolting for Texas because if there are lean years awaiting the Nationals, its gonna be hard getting through them. 

I think our "lean years" are going to be not-that-bad. The Phillies and Braves could be really good, but we'll at least be competitive--even if we lose Bryce. Rizzo et al have shown the ability to stock the farm system and keep the pipeline coming. 

Archived