Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

22 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Nats sign catcher Miguel Montero to a minor league contract with an invite to the major league spring training camp.

Montero is the guy who caught a game for the Cubs in late June last year with Jake Arietta on the mound against Washington, and the Nats went 7 for 7 in stolen bases.  After the game, Montero said it was largely Arietta's fault because he didn't hold the runners and was too slow to the plate.  The next day, the Cubs designated him for assignment.

My thoughts at the time, and now, were that:  1) he wasn't wrong, but 2) he still shouldn't have said it.  My only new thought is 3) can he hit better than Weiters?

7 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Anyone going to opening day this year?

I was thinking about taking my son out of school to bring him.

Maybe not opening day but certainly going to try to make it for opening weekend at Nats Park. It'll be right after I get my commission and now that I'm better established up here in PA, I can afford to spring for box seats for me and myself. 

10 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Maybe not opening day but certainly going to try to make it for opening weekend at Nats Park. It'll be right after I get my commission and now that I'm better established up here in PA, I can afford to spring for box seats for me and myself. 

Congrats on commissioning!  That's good ****!  Which branch are you going to?

I am betting I'll end up doing the same route.  I've never been to opening day (only been to two Nats games in person and we lost both games) but I'm assuming secondary market tickets will be a pain in the ass price-wise.

Just now, DC9 said:

Congrats on commissioning!  That's good ****!  Which branch are you going to?

I am betting I'll end up doing the same route.  I've never been to opening day (only been to two Nats games in person and we lost both games) but I'm assuming secondary market tickets will be a pain in the ass price-wise.

1.) Thank you! Didn't really want to go down the sales route but it keeps a roof over my head and helps me spend my time and money on the things that really matter. Plus it brought me closer to Washington so it was a semi-homecoming, something I've been waiting on for nearly 15 years. Just glad I get to treat my dad to this stuff. As I've mentioned ad nauseam on this forum, he's a true D.C. sports fan, especially with baseball. He saw a lot of bad baseball growing up with both Senators teams and he waited 30+ years for a team to come to D.C. Now he's got it and they're a winner. It's the least I can do for him.

2.) Been to three games: two in 2011 (one win and one loss) and another game last year - but it rained out. Hoping to go to at least a game a month in 2018 and maybe, just maybe, one of those games will be in late October. 

2 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

1.) Thank you! Didn't really want to go down the sales route but it keeps a roof over my head and helps me spend my time and money on the things that really matter. Plus it brought me closer to Washington so it was a semi-homecoming, something I've been waiting on for nearly 15 years. Just glad I get to treat my dad to this stuff. As I've mentioned ad nauseam on this forum, he's a true D.C. sports fan, especially with baseball. He saw a lot of bad baseball growing up with both Senators teams and he waited 30+ years for a team to come to D.C. Now he's got it and they're a winner. It's the least I can do for him.

2.) Been to three games: two in 2011 (one win and one loss) and another game last year - but it rained out. Hoping to go to at least a game a month in 2018 and maybe, just maybe, one of those games will be in late October. 

Basically in a similar boat.  Fam and I have been stationed out of the area for 12 of the last 15 years.  So I want to take full advantage of getting my son and daughter hooked over the next two to three years we're here (hopefully it's five). 

Great article on Nats pursuit of Realmuto. Rizzo is sitting with his middle digit extended. He knows full well the Nats would LIKE Realmuto, they don't NEED him. (See, Bruce Allen, you miserable, vomitous mass. This is how you do it. Warthog faced buffoon)

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-nationals-lack-of-urgency-is-a-problem-for-the-marlins/

16 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Great article on Nats pursuit of Realmuto. Rizzo is sitting with his middle digit extended. He knows full well the Nats would LIKE Realmuto, they don't NEED him. (See, Bruce Allen, you miserable, vomitous mass. This is how you do it. Warthog faced buffoon)

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-nationals-lack-of-urgency-is-a-problem-for-the-marlins/

This is an excellent article.  Thank you for posting.  Everyone should read this.  

I thought the most interesting thing about that article was simply the discussion about how negotiating from a position of strength gives you even more leverage.  The Nats are more likely to get the deal that they want BECAUSE they don't NEED to make the deal.  They dont NEED to make the deal because they are already really good.  

Why Mike Rizzo hasn't had a truck full of money driven to his house is mind blowing.  

48 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I thought the most interesting thing about that article was simply the discussion about how negotiating from a position of strength gives you even more leverage.  The Nats are more likely to get the deal that they want BECAUSE they don't NEED to make the deal.  They dont NEED to make the deal because they are already really good.  

Why Mike Rizzo hasn't had a truck full of money driven to his house is mind blowing.  

I am rather confident the Lerners won't **** this up. Rizzo is a fantastic GM--they don't grow on trees.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:59 PM, Riggo#44 said:

I wonder if the Miami market plays at least a secondary role in what the Marlins are asking for.  The Nats offer Carter Kieboom and Erick Fedde.  The Marlins want Victor Robles or Juan Soto.  There is a huge Latino population in the Miami area. Presumably it would do the Marlins' bottom line good if they can acquire a young, marketable Latino star to generate fan interest and build a future around.  For most fans, the background doesn't matter.  But I wonder if it might tilt the wish list for a team in a market like Miami.

43 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I wonder if the Miami market plays at least a secondary role in what the Marlins are asking for.  The Nats offer Carter Kieboom and Erick Fedde.  The Marlins want Victor Robles or Juan Soto.  There is a huge Latino population in the Miami area. Presumably it would do the Marlins' bottom line good if they can acquire a young, marketable Latino star to generate fan interest and build a future around.  For most fans, the background doesn't matter.  But I wonder if it might tilt the wish list for a team in a market like Miami.

They couldn't draw with Jose Fernandez, Marcel Ozuna, Christian Yelich, or Giancarlo Stanton. The WBC games produced the largest attended games in that stadiums history. They had trouble selling out the All Star Game.

Miami is one of the worst towns when it comes to supporting professional teams.

Archived