Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

15 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Ugh, I really hate this quote.

Hopefully, it's just posturing for Boras. 

Just the Lerners posturing actually. They never intended to really take part in the bidding and only offered the contract they did because they knew he wouldn’t take it. 

And knowing for sure that Harper wasn’t coming back they should have been in on Goldschmidt. Half assing their contender status. 

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Just the Lerners posturing actually. They never intended to really take part in the bidding and only offered the contract they did because they knew he wouldn’t take it. 

And knowing for sure that Harper wasn’t coming back they should have been in on Goldschmidt. Half assing their contender status. 

guys like soto and robles will replace harper's production

40 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

guys like soto and robles will replace harper's production

Production? Possible. Potential? Never.  And that's the point at the end of the day, possible generational player.  Jus f'n do it and let the chips fall where they may.  Are we trying to be competitive or win rings?  I cannot make the arguement we are better then Red Soxs or the Yankees, heaven forbid New York ever get a quality starting pitching rotation.

14 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Production? Possible. Potential? Never.  And that's the point at the end of the day, possible generational player.  Jus f'n do it and let the chips fall where they may.  Are we trying to be competitive or win rings?  I cannot make the arguement we are better then Red Soxs or the Yankees, heaven forbid New York ever get a quality starting pitching rotation.

I actually don't think Harper being here lines us up for our best shot at a ring.  I love Harp, and I want to bring him back, but at the money he's talking about... especially now that we got Corbin, it's likely we lose Rendon AND possibly Turner if we give Harper what it would cost to sign both of them.  We have depth and talent coming up in the outfield.  It's easier to replace an all star LF than is it replace an entire side of your infield.   Not to mention we're going to have to address 1B sooner rather than later.   Zimm is there, but how much longer does he have? 

Side note, has Carter Kieboom ever played 2nd base?  I don't think he's ready YET but it might not hurt to take a look at him for the long term there.  

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

300 million is ridiculous, we knew it was going to take more than that 3 years ago. I'm very disappointed in the ownership for this one.

If that's what we can afford, then thats what we can afford... what were they supposed to do?   Say 3 years ago "welp, we cant afford to give you what you want in 3  years so we're cutting you"

and to be honest, i don't think he's worth $40 mil a year.  He's too volatile.  2015, he was worth it....2017... you could have that conversation, but 16 and 18?  nah.  

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

If that's what we can afford, then thats what we can afford... what were they supposed to do?   Say 3 years ago "welp, we cant afford to give you what you want in 3  years so we're cutting you"

and to be honest, i don't think he's worth $40 mil a year.  He's to volatile.  2015, he was worth it....2017... you could have that conversation, but 16 and 18?  nah.  

volatile is a great way to describe him. Its like his game has no middle ground. His highs are higher than just about anybody in the game, but his lows are ugly

Last season was a good example. Started the year on fire, then went into a prolonged slump where it looked like he didn't have a clue at the plate, only to put together a really good 2nd half of the season

8 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

volatile is a great way to describe him. Its like his game has no middle ground. His highs are higher than just about anybody in the game, but his lows are ugly

Last season was a good example. Started the year on fire, then went into a prolonged slump where it looked like he didn't have a clue at the plate, only to put together a really good 2nd half of the season

It's always been my concern with him.  He's not Trout, but the market is making him on the same pay scale.   I hate to argue AGAINST Harper as I'm absolutely a fan of his and I want him to be a Nat for his entire career... go on to win rings and be a DC legend.  I just look at what he's capable of making and it's pricing us out of the conversation.  

Archived