Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

Do people not realize this?

nats have basically replaced salaries of wieters (11M), gio (12M) and madson (8M) with Corbin (23M) and Gomes (8M). so while other teams are wondering whether Corbin signing means they are out on Harper, the belief is that they are not necessarily out.

11 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

C’mon Lerners, what is the point of having money if you don’t spend it?  On the things PB wants

I caught that if no one else did :806:

I really am getting a kick out how the Nationals go straight savage in the offseason.  It's the perfect combo of what I wish Snyder could and would do, get a damn good GM and make it rain hun'eds with no salary cap (my dream since childhood).  Take half a bottle of gatorade fill the rest up with vodka and all you have to do in the morning is apologize as my cousin would say.

Broke ass Redskins, by time we win another offseason we'll be terraforming Mars.

1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

So I follow the Nats pretty closely but I really don’t know much about Martinez’s manager style. What do you all think? Do you think he can get us over the playoff hump?

I dont know if his managing style can be known as last season was his first. He made plenty of mistakes last year, and i am just going to hope that he learned from them.

I was a fan of the hire, but he left a lot to be desired in strategy and tone imo.

I’m submitting my final offseason move request here: Trade for Paul Goldschmidt. 

Rationale:

-one year left on his contract so he won’t be THAT expensive. Think Luis Garcia plus one or two others. Not Kieboom. 

-his 2019 salary keeps us below the luxury tax threshold by a little bit

-better roster fit than Harper (1B is a need, OF is not)

-gives us a leg up on contract extension talks with him. Nats wont exercise Zim’s options after this year, so we will need a 1B for 2020 regardless. It’s not a great market and Goldy is the cream of the crop. 

-gives us a serious middle of the order bat to replace Harper. We’ve got some good talent right now but Goldschmidt could put us over the top. 

Interesting comparison. When the Nationals signed Max to his massive 7 year, $210m deal, he had the proverbial "one great year, one really good year, and otherwise mediocre." They signed him after his 29-yr-old season. Here are his Detroit numbers:

Averaged 32 GS/yr, 214 IP/yr, 3.32 ERA  1.197 WHIP    8.1  H/9  1.0  HR/9  2.7  BB/9  9.6 K/9.

His slider is one of the most vicious pitches in baseball. With the Nats, he has been the best pitcher in baseball over the life of his contract.

Corbin had one bad year in 2016, with a 5.15 ERA. Since, he's had one bad month--May of 2017 with a 9.00 ERA over 26 IP, 5 GS. Other than that, he has been very good. So the "one good year" note may just be a lazy narrative without really looking at what happened.

56 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Corbin had one bad year in 2016, with a 5.15 ERA. Since, he's had one bad month--May of 2017 with a 9.00 ERA over 26 IP, 5 GS. Other than that, he has been very good. So the "one good year" note may just be a lazy narrative without really looking at what happened.

And obviously Rizzo (and other GMs) has the ability to evaluate a pitcher at a much deeper level than good month/bad month based on baseball card stats.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/in-signing-patrick-corbin-the-nats-are-winning-the-offseason-without-bryce-harper/2018/12/04/a5f9cccc-f811-11e8-8c9a-860ce2a8148f_story.html?utm_term=.75dcf1323b8d

In signing Patrick Corbin, the Nats are winning the offseason without Bryce Harper

Almost nobody, outside of Washington, takes the Nationals at their word when they say they expect to remain a serious contender for many years and that their franchise architecture is built for sustainable excellence.

The Nats don’t believe in “windows.” They don’t believe that any one player is indispensable to their future — even Bryce Harper, as much as they appreciate him.

And when they think the time is right to strike, they don’t wait. They move.

So when the Nats act suddenly, as they did Tuesday by reaching an agreement with Patrick Corbin, the best free agent pitcher of this offseason, on what Yahoo Sports reports is a six-year, $140 million deal, the sport smacks its collective forehead with shock because it did not see the Nationals coming. When will the baseball world learn?

How much money do the Lerner's have? Grant Brisbee lays it out:

Ted Lerner is worth $4.7 billion. When thinking about billionaires, it’s helpful to think about what a billion really is. If you had $10 million, you would be unquestionably rich. Even a million dollars would put you in an elite group. Yet Lerner could give away $999 million — here, just take it — and be worth $3.7 billion. That $3.7 billion isn’t functionally different than the first total I put up there. It’s all in the amorphous glob of billions that makes you whistle, real purty-like, when you hear the total. $4.7 billion, $3.7 billion, $5.7 billion ... really, who cares?

Another way to describe the scale it that a million seconds is 12 days, and a billion seconds is 30 years. Millionaires and billionaires seem like they’re in the same genre, but they really aren’t. And if Lerner wanted to sign a Patrick Corbin out of his own pocket, forget the team’s budget, he would be worth $4.6 billion next year, $4.5 billion the year after that, $4.3 billion the year after that, et cetera.

In 2021, after getting eliminated in the NLDS for the 11th straight season, Lerner might say, “Wait, I need to cut this out,” and still be worth so much that he could still spend $100 million on Honus Wagner cards every year for the next three decades before he wasn’t an official billionaire again. He would just be a measly multi-multi-multi millionaire who was worth more than Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols combined.

That’s the difference between a multi-billionaire and a multi-millionaire.

At this point, we should mention that Lerner is 93 years old. Which is to say that the Nationals can keep doing this if Lerner just wants to win a World Series. It’s like my grandpappy said, you can’t shoot a World Series trophy on an African safari. And if a World Series trophy is really what Lerner wants hanging over his fireplace ...

This scenario is good for Nationals fans. Let the rich people spend their money.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/5/18126232/washington-nationals-patrick-corbin-contract-free-agent

From Boz:

Roughly $53 million in salary falls off the Nats’ payroll with Matt Wieters, Gonzalez, Daniel Murphy, Matt Adams, Sean Kelley, Brandon Kintzler and Ryan Madson. If Harper re-signed, then Adam Eaton (due $8.4 million in 2019) presumably would be traded. On the other side of the ledger, “just” $41 million have been added for Corbin, Gomes, Rosenthal and Suzuki.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You gon' learn, Trey

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What is the status of the pitching prospect that was a first round pick, but slid to us b/c he has behavior issues and then got kicked off the team for awhile last year?  I forget his name because i think of him as Ricky Vaughn.  

Seth Romero.  He had Tommy John surgery in late August.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

How much money do the Lerner's have? Grant Brisbee lays it out:

. . . 

At this point, we should mention that Lerner is 93 years old. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/5/18126232/washington-nationals-patrick-corbin-contract-free-agent

I wonder if the elder Lerner's age plays any role in how the Nationals approach things.  I could see the family wanting to win a World Series for the family patriarch while he is still with us... luxury tax be damned if necessary.

Archived