Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

Honestly. 

Is tonight a better night for the gop or Dems than what was expected??

Neither. Which is a win for the GOP, as they held control going in. 

Very status quo evening, with some exceptions. 

1 minute ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

For my expectations, this is HUGE

Trump agenda is now dead with the loss of the House. Investigations can commence

More Dem governors prevent the overwhelming gerrymandering that came out of post '10

But is it better worse or what was expected?

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The more experience you have, the bigger the record you have for the opposing party to pick apart.  Rising stars with less experience are the wave of the future.  Not that I agree with it, but seems to be the case.  Shiny new toy kinda thing.

If he gets up there for those debates and starts getting ripped to shreds he won't get my vote in the primaries.  They are going to pick him apart anyway, he's a dem, an "enemy of america", he has about a year to show he can get his platform together and know his stuff.  I'll never admit electing Obama was a mistake, but Hillary would not of wasted a damn near supermajority in the senate and control of the house.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Trump is TERRIBLE.  That doesn't mean we elect another one just because he sounds cool.  Winning is easy, governing is harder.

Yes, I would NEVER support a candidate with no experience to lead this country. Insanity. And I highly doubt that will be the case going forward

Once Scott Walker loses in WI, Dems will have control of governorships in every Midwest state but Ohio. 

I get that everyone has a boner for the Senate, but the GOP is getting smacked around in suburban America. The Senate map is heavily rural this year and in 2020 and there is nothing the Dems can do about it. America is undergoing a fundamental political realignment along the educated urban/suburban and uneducated rural/exurban axis. 

But to @Kilmer17's point, it is at the very least a sobering wake up call for Dems.  As much as dem base is enthusiastically against Trump, Trump's base is just as potent in the rural areas as they were in 2016.  The fact that dems can win the house and looks like they are clear winners in national vote share and still lose ground in the Senate and only end up with average pick ups in house shows the institutional built in disadvantage for dems.  Obama and Holder were right to make gerrymandering their post presidency target.

4 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Honestly. 

Is tonight a better night for the gop or Dems than what was expected??

Expected by who would be the question. It has turned out almost exactly as I saw predicted almost everywhere. Dems get the house, GOP picks up seats in the Senate, Dems getting some governors seats. I think the key phrase would be "expected" vs "hopeful for".

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

But to @Kilmer17's point, it is at the very least a sobering wake up call for Dems.  As much as dem base is enthusiastically against Trump, Trump's base is just as potent in the rural areas as they were in 2016.  The fact that dems can win the house and looks like they are clear winners in national vote share and still lose ground in the Senate and only end up with average pick ups in house shows the institutional built in disadvantage for dems.  Obama and Holder were right to make gerrymandering their post presidency target.

In the next few decades, 30% of the population of our country will be represented by 70 senators. 

Senate won’t be reflective of our country for the foreseeable future. 

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Once Scott Walker loses in WI, Dems will have control of governorships in every Midwest state but Ohio. 

I get that everyone has a boner for the Senate, but the GOP is getting smacked around in suburban America. The Senate map is heavily rural this year and in 2020 and there is nothing the Dems can do about it. America is undergoing a fundamental political realignment along the educated urban/suburban and uneducated rural/exurban axis. 

I was just looking at the governor map after seeing what's going on in Iowa. Goddamn, that's huge in regards to stuff like garrymandering in states like that.  It will be pivotal for the Kansas governor to turn that state around to show Rural America the light.

Archived