Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you finish the Chargers game???

Renegade7

Did you watch the whole Chargers game???  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Did you watch the whole Chargers game???

• Yes
    • No

It's quite easy to compare this Sundays and subsequent games to pre-season. The term "Meaningless" games is used quite frequently. During those games, it's common to hear fans talk about how starters should sit, not risking injury. Even chastising a player for bothering to tackle someone on a fumble or interception return that will ultimately mean nothing. I think many of our fans have adopted the same mentality as the players. Kleese has lowered the flag and the off-season has begun. 

I forgot about it, and turned it on with us losing 30-6.  I flipped it back off.

Since preseason, I have lost my thirst for football.  I never watch Thursday, Monday or Sunday games we aren't in.  Now, I'm not watching our games.  Prior to this season, I watched every single game.  The thrill is gone.

11 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Great post.  You're not alone.  Similar to you, I've been a fan for 46 years and never missed a game.  But those days are over.

Yesterday afternoon, I went with my wife to a Christmas party her friends were having.  The husband who lived there greeted us upon our arrival and told me the Redskin game was on in the den.  I said, "Thanks, but I'm good."  One of the other husbands changed it to the Eagle game and I sat with him and watched that.

Also like you, the Skins will always be "my team" but from now on, I'll only watch when I have absolutely nothing else to do.  Win, lose, it doesn't matter.  I just don't care anymore.  And it's sad that this organization has sucked that life out of me.

We've been season ticket holders since 2003, but that is absolutely done now.  Looking forward to saving that money next year.

Sadly, I have a feeling that this is going to be me in a few more years. I've just got so tired of Dan Snyder hiring losers like Bruce Allen. I have no desire to watch Sunday and that's sad. I always watch the Redskins on Sun. 

21 hours ago, Capt'n Obvious said:

The team did not want to play that game yesterday, they didn't care at all. So why should I?...I still watch every game, and no other team can get me as excited or as dejected as the Skins can, but as a 30 year old I have basically only seen losing and dysfunction from this organization. All of the optimism and hope that they'll turn it around has been beaten out of me, and I sense that is the direction the fan base is going in as well. I really think the only thing that will make Snyder make some actual impact changes is if he starts to hurt in the wallet. He finally brought Scot in as the RG3 saga came to a predictable and miserable end.

And even then, after seemingly finding the right guy, it only took two years before he ran him out the door. So who knows, maybe it will never get better, maybe we are Cleveland Browns NFC Edition.

I'm 54 and have been watching/rooting for them for the better part of 50 years. Your comments that I highlighted absolutely 100% nails the way I feel about this team and the things I see on TV: stadium 1/2 full of opposing teams' fans, players obviously checking out before the game has even started, Gruden looking confused and pouting like a little girl who lost her dolly because he's lost the team and/or cannot motivate the team to play. 

I turned the game off at halftime. I think it was then that I realized that the "optimism and hope had been beaten out of me". I may not watch another (Redskins) game this season. 

Every year, around the first of August, my blood changes in color to a burgundy-ish color.

My eyes pan over to the different Redskins-related items I have in my little cubbyhole room, and I do a little dusting and cleaning, maybe a little re-organizing.

Then, September comes, and I'm excited because the start of a new season is near, and the expectations of hearing/seeing this team called the Redskins making some noise around the league, in a good way.

By Halloween, I'm left scratching my head, wondering if there should be a change to a couple of players on the field, as they seem to be the ones being picked on by opponents.

Once again, my eyes pan over to my Redskins stuff, and I flash back to the days of past, when this team was a perennial winner, and I often laughed at teams that blew year after year, i.e.; Tampa Bay, Green Bay [ Bay of pigs game ], Patriots, Steelers, and others.

Then I realize that this team is those teams today. No leadership, no dominating players, no threat to any team in the league.

By Thanksgiving, I'm left with a conclusion of ' oh well, another season bites the dust' even though on a few occasions the Redskins were still technically 'in it', but knowing that the trend needle is pointing in a downward direction. I start asking myself 'why?' Why can't, for just one damn time, can the Redskins be a dominant team with a good if not great record, where teams rather play someone else?

I think the window of opportunity has closed on this team; the opportunity was there a few years ago, for this team to really take control and be a winning franchise, but personnel issues, power struggles and flat-out crappy players was ripping this team apart, thread by thread.

Now this team is in a huge pot of mediocrity, FO management has ruined this team, players will begin desiring to go to other teams where they have a chance at winning, and once again the Redskins will be facing seasons of 4-12 or 3-13 seasons. After, and only after, the seasons get this bad, and there's no one left to blame but management, the owner will be forced to make a hard decision, and finally terminate front office personnel from top to bottom.

Cleveland Browns will be a better team, Tampa Bay will have went to a Superbowl, Tom Brady will have been long retired, and the owner of this team will finally hire someone who has a good idea of how to build a winning franchise. Slowly but surely, this team will start winning games, and fans will begin going to watch this team playing in that new stadium that was built a few years ago, and the life cycle of this organization will have been completed. It will have went from the doldrums of ineptness and being poorly run, into a team operated the right way, built from the ground up. 

Its doubtful I will be around to see this happen, I can only hope any of the processes begins to start taking shape.

I try to watch every game, every season - by live stream mostly, since I'm out of town.  This game was no different.  I generally don't drink during the game as I want to make sure I don't miss a thing.  This game turned out differently as I ended up walking down to a local bar at halftime.  Kept my eye over on the corner TV where they had it playing while I watched 4 other games that had competitive teams playing.  This was a game that reminded me of the effort I saw in 2013-2014, which to me, are the worst years I've ever seen of this team...  Not sure what to think anymore.  On one hand, I'd like to keep a semblance of continuity (which we never seem to have under Snyder) and on the other, I'd really like to see it completely blown up (starting at the top) with the knowledge it will be another 5+ years to get back to being something where we may have a chance to win each game again.  It's very depressing to think about.

Switched over to Redzone after the 75yd bomb after we scored, knew after that score that we would lose.  Kept checking the gamecast on espn.com to see if we would ever do anything - nope. Team seemed very disinterested. The defense was down right awful. I do enjoy watching our offense work even if we're getting blown out, but too many 3 and outs to care. I wasn't even frustrated because it didnt matter if we won or lost, just disappointing that its come to this. 

Reading this thread and looking at this poll has really opened my eyes to the reality of this franchise and what its done to its fanbase. This place isn't as extreme as I thought it was, and I'm oddly comforted by that, no disillusions, the damage is real, measurable, and completely understandable.

I'm not at the point of saying I'm not going to bother watching the remaining games, but I'm glad I'm not alone in my frustration and actually considering it.  Maybe its out of habit at this point and I haven't accepted that they can walk in to a game and have absolutely no chance at winning before they even start.  My cousin says that he's a realist and to stop being so optimistic so the reality doesn't hurt so much. 

That's the thing, though, it doesn't hurt my like it used, so I don't see the problem with being optimistic.  I would still enjoy going to the Cardinals game to get out the house and let out my frustrations among people just as crazy as I am.  So, ya, I'm damaged goods, but I'm not completely broken yet.  

I watched the game up to the third quarter because I had Cousins and Gordon starting on my fantasy league. I was hoping for some garbage time points from Cousins but they looked incompetent out there so I switched over to watch the Eagles vs Rams. I think Perine led the team in receptions with 4, that’s sad. 

On 12/11/2017 at 1:32 PM, skinzplay said:

Renegade, don't feel like the Lone Ranger on this one, chief. Over the last few years, I've found myself being emotionally invested in this team less and less. It helps keep me sane. In previous eras, I would have a sick, hollow feeling in my gut when we lost. I don't care who we lost to. If we lost, I hated it......and I felt awful the entire week, unless we rectified it the following Sunday. Now, when we lose, I'm not surprised. Nor do I get upset. Part of me wishes that those old feelings would return.

I could have written this.  In the past, if we lost, I couldn't sleep I'd be so bothered by it.  I didn't even watch this game.  This season I have skipped Monday, Thursday and Sunday night games if the Skins weren't playing.  I'm just losing interest.

Steinberg blog entry on how low the TV rating was for the game, especially compared to other games on that day in the DC market and for bad late season games in previous seasons. Apathy may indeed be setting in big time. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/13/this-is-the-scariest-number-for-the-redskins/?utm_term=.ca8971de2073

Was watching at a sports bar. Iggles-Rams game was on the other TV right next to the Skins game. I found myself watching that more often than the Skins game. It was good football, at least better than Skins-Chargers. I left at the start of the fourth quarter. Bad service and bad Skins football, along with really loud Iggles fans was all I could take. Will I watch the rest of the season? I honestly have to say that It will depend on how I feel the day of. I used to enjoy watching the game either by myself or going out with friends. Less and less of us go out anymore or get together to watch the game. My passion has decreased for the NFL and the Skins. My passion for the NFL has decreased because of the way the league does business and is covered, it has nothing to do with the anthem thing. The Skins have been and always will be my team. I cannot see myself getting really emotionally invested as a fan in any other team. I love the team and my fellow fans.

I am so over the organization and ownership of the team though and it has finally started to affect my passion for the team. No amount of nostalgia can bring it back, only actual hope and realization of that hope for future of the team can. I love when the Skins win, like it when they compete, and are meh when they lose. I refuse to let a team that is ultimately directed by incompetence or lack of understanding  (ownership and management) to negatively impact my emotions beyond a statement of, "well that sucks" after a loss. I was proud of and happy that the team was competitive in all their games...until the last Dallas game and last week. I think the Saints and Dallas games were just a one two punch combo that put this team out of the count for this season. HTTR. 

Unlike the team, I finished the game. 

I've always been against rooting to lose for draft position but with the way things have gone this year, I wouldn't care if they lose out. At this point I'm glad that I had to give up my season tickets. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll even be excited for next season. The FO is bound to screw up multiple things and continue to alienate fans. Granted, there were many key injuries that were impossible to overcome but I need to see more fight from the coaching staff and players. 

I will watch the remaining games. As a die hard fan since the 60's, all I ask is for them to come out, play hard and not look so inept and unprepared. 

Archived